Chapter 9: Things Are Different Here

Near To You - Nu'est

The next morning, when she woke up, she was probably even more tired than the night before. Stupid jetlag. Stupid Jake. She had the worst night in her life, waking up every five minutes, confused, wondering where she was and why Jake wasn't with her, only to be knocked down by reality. She was happy when she heard voices coming from the living room, and she jumped out of bed, running from her bad dreams. They had given her a stressy feeling, and she was craving for a cigarette. She was wearing a long shirt and her underwear, but she couldn't care less. She needed nicotine, right now. It probably wouldn't be that cold anyway. She opened the door of her bedroom and walked out. Everyone was up, except for Aron. 

"Good morning," she sai before going to the balcony with her cigarettes. She was right, it was not that cold. The sun was already up and a the ittle breeze blowing through her hair, made her feel as if all her worries would float away. She leaned on the railing and closed her eyes while inhaling the smoke. Worst night ever. But she felt a little better, starting a new day. This was a new start, she needed to find a way on her own. With a little help from Aron.

 

"Good morning," Aron said as he walked in. Only to find four silent boys, who seemed kind of uncomfortable with something.

"What wrong?" He asked.

"Aron hyung, we know America is different, but can you maybe tell her that we are not used to this?" Minhyun asked quietly.

"Used to what? Is Erica up yet? Where is she?" JR pointed at the glass balcony door, and Aron wanted to slap his own face. Erica was standing there, smoking a cigarette, leaning forward while all she was wearing was a shirt and her . She was obviously not aware of the little fuzz she was causing. Aron sighed, gave Baekho, who was staring just a little bit too amused, a little push and walked to the balcony. Erica looked up, she smiled at him. She looked tired, but her eyes had a little more shine. 

"Good morning, Aron," She said. He smiled back.

"Good morning, noona. Could you do me a favor?" She was wondering what it could be, but she nodded. She owed him big time, since she was allowed to stay here.

"Yeah, sure."

"Please, when you finished your cigarette, please get dressed. My friends feel a little uncomfortable. She looked through the window, Baekho, JR and Minhyun turned their heads a little too late, Ren just waved at her.

"Why? What is wrong with me? You are wearing your pajamas as well."

"Erica, those are not pajamas, it's a shirt and your underwear."

"It covers more than some of my dresses."

"I know, but they already make a big effort by letting you stay, something like that is not done here in Korea. And don't forget, they're young boys and you are a pretty girl."

"They think I'm pretty?" She asked with smile.

"I don't know, maybe... But that's not the point. You should just get dressed. It's they way things go around here." She nodded.

"You're right, I should respect that. I didn't really think about it."

"That's okay, you know now." There was a silence, she inhaled for the last time and put the stub in the plate. Then she rested her head to Aron's shoulder. He didn't really hug her back, and that surprised her.

"Aon, why are you hugging me so awkwardly?"

"Because they are still looking, and this is not very common here either."

" that, give me a hug!" She demanded. He grinned, wrapped his arms around her waist.

"Thanks, much better."

"Not for me. You smell like cigarettes." She punched his shoulder, he laughed. She opened the door to the living room and smiled at the boys, who were obviously trying very hard to not look at her legs. Not like they didn't want to do that, but it just didn't seem very appropriate. 

"I'll go get dressed," she said with a cheeky smile." Baekho didn't really want to admit it, but he was a little disappointed about that.