Chapter 17: New Friend

Near To You - Nu'est

She was standing outside, smoking a cigarette. The fans had made her nervous, by just noticing her. By talking about her. She had now idea hat they had been saying. Maybe that she looked weird. Maybe that she was ugly. Or maybe not. The insecurity was consuming her, ever since she found out Jake had cheated on her, more than once. She was thinking constantly about where she had gone wrong, if she could have done something to keep him with her. And then, when those pretty girls were pointing, it just made her feel like she couldn't breathe.

"You okay?" She looked up, Minhyun walked through the door. She nodded.

"I needed some fresh air." He looked at her cigarette with his eyebrows up, she laughed silently. 

"I can see that," he said sarcastically. She was thinking about earlier, in the car, what he had said.

"Hey, I just wanted to say... I really liked it when... When you called me noona." He smiled.

"It slipped out before I realized. Aron calls you noona all the time, it feels kind of natural."

"It made me feel as if I was part of the group. Like I really belong here," she said honestly. He bumped his fist softly to her arm. It was feeling more and more comfortable to be around her.

"Well, you are. We all really like you, even though some things you do are kind of weird." 

"Weird? Me? You guys are the ones who eat fire!" He laughed. "No, seriously, what's weird about what I do?" 

"I don't know. The way you act around Aron hyung. Sometimes you're like his mother, then his boss, then his little sister, and sometimes it seems like you are in love with each other." She nodded. She had heard that before.

"We are not. I have known him for all my life, it would be very weird to be hs girlfriend."

"But you are so physical!" She shrugged. She had always been the kind of girl who liked hugging. And Aron was usually the one who gave her those hugs, so she started to like his hugs best. 

"I know. It just feels really good." Minhyun nodded. He didn't quite understand, but he could live with it.

"Sometimes a girl just needs a hug from a tall, strong guy," she said.

"I'm taller than Aron hyung. And stronger too. I could hug you?" Somehow Minhyun wanted to get closer to her, as close as he was with the boys. She felt like one of the boys. She looked at him, threw her cigarette on the ground and planted her heel on it. 

"I'll remember that when I need a hug."

"You look like you could use one now." She thought for a while, and he was right. But really, when were hugs not welcome? She spread her arms, he locked his around her waist and she rested her head to his chest.

"Thanks for being my friend, Minhyun."

"Thanks for being my noona, noona."