Chapter 13: Lunch

Near To You - Nu'est

"Noona? I made lunch." Aron listened closely, but there was no answer. He knocked on her bedroom door again, but he couldn't even hear her move. Would it be rude to enter? She never made a problem of it before, but he knew she was devastated. Maybe she didn't want to see anyone. Not even him. But that was not good for her! He needed to get her out of her shell, he would not let her look herself away from the world. He knocked again.

"I'm coming in, noona." He opened the door, she was lying on the bed, her eyes closed and music blasting through her headphones. He smiled when he heard his wn songs, he was very happy that she took the time to listen to them. It maybe didn't seem like it, but confident Aron hyung needed confirmation and assurance every now and then, and Erica's opinion was worth as much as his parent's. Sometimes even more. She was never afraid to tell him how she thought about things. He walked to the bed, sat next t her. She opened her eyes, smiled at him.

"Hey, Aron. Is something wrong?"

"No, I just wanted to call you for lunch, but you were not replying, so I walked in. Hope you don't mind." She shook her head and grabbed his hands. She put his fingers between his.

"I'm really glad you're my friend, Aron. I wouldn't know where I'd be without you. Probably still in LA, still with that and still crying my heart out every time he cheated on me."

"That's what friends are for, noona."

"I know, but still." She was silent for a moment, but he could feel there was something else she wanted to say.

"You know," she started, "when you left for Korea, right after your graduation, I thought you'd forget about me. I was afraid to lose you, but at the same time I was so happy for you. It was terrible to get along with myself those days."

"I could never forget about you. Not ever. We pinky swore!" She laughed, looked into his brown eyes. People often wondered why they were not lovers. Hr own mother would often fantasize about their wedding and her future grand children, how they'd have his cute Asian looks. I would be a lovely ciché, a girl falling in love with the boy next door, then living happily ever after. But it was just not like that. She never felt that way around him. And he never felt like that too. They just didn't see each other that way. And they were both happy about the fact they would never ruin their friendship with something ridiculously dangerous as love. 

"You want to have lunch?"

"What's for lunch." He smiled.

"Something Korean. You'll see."