Chapter 33

Near To You - Nu'est

Minhyun had told the story to the other members by the time Erica had decided she had to come out of her room. Mainly because she had to go use the bathroom. But when she smelled the soft scent of the tea Minhyun had made, she couldn't help moving herself to the kitchen.

"Omo!" Ren gasped when he saw her cheek, which had turned to a dark purple. Minhyun already told them it was bad, but this was just unbelievable.

"You should go to the police, that looks like assault to me," Aron said.

"I should forget it. I don't want to talk about it," she firmly said. Ren pouted.

"Can I still give you a hug to comfort you?" He asked with a puppy face. She smiled.

"Hmm, let me think, an amazing hug, from an amazing guy, which will make me feel amazing myself? Sure, why not." Even though Ren was the only one who got explicit permission, he was not th only one to get up and wrap his arms around the tiny little girl. All the members were serving as big teddy bears, and she could appreciate it.

"I called the convenience store. They still have your bag, the girl asked if you were okay. Do you want to go pick it up and tell her not to worry?"  Going back there somehow made her feel very anxious, even while she had no reason to be scared. It was just the supermarket, the old man would be gone by now, what could possibly happen? But she couldn't move herself, or even say a word.

"You don't have to go alone, I will come with you. You don't need to be scared, I will protect my Noona," Baekho said. She smiled at him, and her heart came back to life when she knew she didn't have to go up there all by herself. Having him with her would be a huge assurance, because one, he was a local, at least more than she was, and two, he was a strong, muscular young man, people would be crazy to bother her with him by her side.

"Okay, I will go if you go with me." 

 

It felt good to walk the streets with Baekho. He talked about the most banal, everyday things, but it was a good distraction for her. Because every time he didn't say anything her mind wandered of to the angry face, and the fist that had hit her. She had her hands in her pocket, but their elbows were hooked together. She knew that for the locals it must have looked as if they were together. Baekho knew she needed him to support her right now, but literally as figuratively. He had given her his arms, so she could be very sure of his presence. And he liked walking with her like that. He was not in love with her, but he felt the strong need to keep her close. Like guys need their Noona to be. 

"Omo, are you okay?" The girl that had sat by the counter walked straight up to them when they entered the store. She looked at Erica's face in pity and disgust, and Erica blushed.

"The old man left. I think he was drunk, he kept on acting weird the entire time he was here. Don't worry about it, you did nothing wrong." She smiled polited, then turne around to grab the shopping bag.

"Here you go, I was already wondering if you would come and get it." Erica didn't really know what to say, it was as if the punch had erased all Korean she had learned, her mind was blank. But when Baekho smiled at her and softly her arm, she decided she had to try and thank the girl tha had helped her so much, without even knowing her. This complete stranger had been so nice to her.

"Thank you," she stuttered, but she was very glad that she could still speak Korean.

"You're welcome. I'm Lee Eun Shin."

"I'm Erica."

"You seem like a very nice girl, but you also seem very ignorant. If you want, we can go and drink some coffee tomorrow, I always wanted a foreign friend." Erica chuckled. This girl was very straight forward, but she appreciated that very much. 

"Yes, coffee sounds good."

"Nice. My shift is over at three tomorrow in the afternoon. If you come here by then, we can go someplace nice. Is that okay for you?" Erica nodded, and she smiled sincerely when she left the store after saying goodbye.

"Baekho?" She asked after walking in silence for a few minutes.

"Hmm?"

"Did I just almost make a new friend?"

"Seems like it. You should finish it tomorrow. She seems very nice."