Chapter 34

Near To You - Nu'est

Even though she didn't really know why, it was a fact that Erica was very nervous. What if Eun Shin turned out to be not very nice at all? What if she turned out not to like Erica in any way? No, now she was just being unreasonable. If Eun Shin was not a nice person, she wouldn't have kept the shopping bag after Erica left. She wouldn't have worried about her either. And she definitely wouldn't have asked to meet today. And besides, if they turned out to not like each other all that much, what was lost? They would just go their separate ways. But somehow the idea of getting a friend here (besides the crazy members of Nu'est) excited her. Especially because it was a girl. Ever since she had been with Jake, she neglected her friends, and it was only normal they turned their backs on her. She missed the typical sleepovers, the talking about clothes and boys, the endless giggling because of a chick flick and a bottle of cheap wine. She even missed ing at each other when their periods happened to synchronize. It was way too fast to see Eun Shin as a friend like that, but she kind of hoped that they became close. She didn't know how friendships between girls worked in Korea, but the open hearted Eun Shin would undoubtedly not hesitate to explain it to her, at least that's how she felt.

"I'm going," she yelled towards the living room when she tried to put on her shoes with one hand while trying to take her coat of the rack, while obviously forgetting gravity. Result? A loud smack, both Erica and the rack on the floor and some of the nastiest swears Aron had ever heard in his life, so he was not planning on translating them.

"Are you okay?" He asked while trying to suppress his laughter. He heard her crawl back on her feet, and the thud told him she kicked the poor coat rack.

"I'm fine, I just forgot how to keep balance."

"Call us if you need anything," Minhyun yelled without looking up from his book, like a real mother. 

"I will. Bye!" The door slammed, and Aron shook his head. He was kind of worried about her. She didn't sleep very well last night (he had heard her get up at least three times) so she was still impressed by what had happened at the supermarket.

"She's a big girl, hyung," Beakho said.

"Even big girls feel small sometimes." It were Erica's words, she had told him so many times. But he couldn't be with her 24/7, that would be ridiculous. So he was just hoping that Eun Shin was a nice person.

 

Erica was a little early, so she sat on a bench and wondered if she'd lit a cigarette. Maybe Eun Shin didn't like it at all. But then again, she could not stop being herself and changing the things she did because she was afraid someone might not like her. She took her cigarettes and lighter, and only after her first inhalation, Eun Shin appeared in front of her. She smiled widely.

"I'm happy to see you, Erica," she said, "I was afraid I might have been a little too pushy." Erica smiled back at her, and was a little surprised when Eun Shin took a pack of cigarettes and a lighter from her bag as well.

"No, you haven't, I really like the fact that you invited me for coffee. I don't have much friends here yet."

"Don't worry, if it's okay for you too, we can be friends. Most people don't like me because I'm too bold or something like that, but something tells me you're the kind of person who can handle that." Erica grinned, they sat next to each other on the bench. Maybe they could be friends indeed.