Chapter 32: What?

Near To You - Nu'est

The boys could barely believe their eyes when Erica got home. Her eyes were red, but she stated she didn't cry, and her cheek had a slight purple gleam. She refused to tell any of them what had happened, insisting that everything was fine and nothing had happened. The fact she immediately rushed to her bedroom and then to the balcony to smoke not one, not two, but three cigarettes in a row, made it obvious that she was lying. Aron took a look into the shopping bag, only to conclude she had forgotten a lot of things. He glanced at her, she was deep in thought, her hair waving softly in the wind. There was no way she would tell what happened. At least not to him. Maybe...

"Minhyun-ah?" The tall boy looked up, he had already noticed Aron Hyung's concern towards the red haired girl. 

"Yes?"

"Can you try and get her to tell what happened? She's to proud to tell me, but I can see it's still bothering her." Minhyun nodded, but didn't make a move. He figured Erica needed a little time to think it over before she wanted to talk about it. about fifteen minutes later, she went to her bedroom, and not long after that, they could hear loud music blast through the dorm. So really bad something has happened, Aron thought, otherwise she wouldn't even consider making that much noise, because she'd think it would bother them.

 

Only after an hour, Minhyun took an ice pack and went to Erica's room. He knocked on the door, the music stopped and she softly told him he could come in. She sat on her bed, her cheek had turned to a darker purple, and it looked very painful. He sat next to her, gave her the ice. She smiled, but it wasn't sincere. Something was bothering her a lot. She looked at him, wondered why he didn't ask anything. The silence was consuming her, so she decided to break it.

"I guess you want to know what happened?" Her words were barely louder than a whisper, but he had heard her. She also spoke in English again. She was too upset to get her mind back into Korean.

"I do." He said. She frowned.

"Then why don't you ask anything?" He looked at her, put his hand over hers and brought the ice to her cheek. She flinched when the cold pressure surprised her.

"Because I figured you don't want to talk about it. And I respect it." She nodded, and somehow she was dying to tell him. She knew he'd comfort her, and she needed a hug really bad right now. She took a deep breath, tears came into her eyes again when she thought of how much the old man had scared her.

"It was just so unfair, I had done my shopping,  was so proud of myself that I had done it all by myself and that I had spoken Korean, and the cashier even said I was doing very well, and then when I walked outside, I accidentally bumped into this guy, and he got so angry, and he started yelling at me and I couldn't 'understand what he was saying, and I tried to apologize for bumping into him, but he wouldn't listen, and then he-" She took a deep breath, her voice was shaking, Minhyun wrapped his arms around her and tried to hush her, but she was really upset.

"He just hit me in the face, and I was so scared, he kept on yelling and I just didn't know what to do, so I came back here without half of my stuff, and it's so embarrassing, I just panicked." She sobbed, but held the ice in it's place. That man must have hit her really hard, if her cheek got this color, Minhyun thought by himself. Even though she had ranted on in English, he understood her story. She must have been really scared, with someone yelling at her and hitting her.

"You don't need to be ashamed. That man should be, you don't hit women," he than said, "and it was an accident, you couldn't help it."

"It hurts a lot," she mumbled. He nodded, took another look. 

"Can you open your mouth widely?" She shrugged, then tried. It hurt a lot, but she could open it.

"Good, it's just a bruise. Don't worry about it anymore. Some people are just too rude. He was probably just doing that because he saw an easy victim in you, not understanding Korean very well yet and being kind enough to not hit him back."

"What about he groceries?" She asked, "I did pay for them, so it's all money that went to waste.

"Don't worry about that either. We will fix it. The most important thing is that you are feeling okay again."

"I do, thanks."

"You're welcome, noona. Make sure you keep the ice on." He got up from the bed, stretched his arms and smiled.

"I'm going to make some tea. If you want some, you can come."