Chapter 44

Near To You - Nu'est

When he entered the room, Erica froze inside herself. He was looking her up and down, as if she was a stranger. He had never looked at her like that before. It made her feel uncomfortable, and ashamed. Did she deserve for her best friend to act like that? But then he smiled at her.

"Did you have fun?" He asked cautiously, as if he was afraid she would mistake his good intentions.She was dumbfounded when she couldn't find even the slightest glimpse of sarcasm. Aron seemed to have changed back to his kind self.

"I did," she answered quietly, careful not to make him angry again. She had no idea what had made him freak out like that, but she was glad it was over.

"I'm sorry I was being so unreasonably mad at you. You are right, I don't know him, so I have no right to judge him." This was an obvious move to being friends again, Erica realized that, but still she was a little hesitant. 

"I just don't get why you acted like that." Aron bit his lip, but then he gestured her to follow him to his room. 

 

It was quiet for a little while after they sat on his bed, and the silence was consuming her. She did not like this feeling of unfamiliarity between them, not at all. They had grown up together, they had practically spent their whole lives at each other's side, so why did he feel like a stranger all of a sudden? No, he was not a stranger. He was still Aron. He was the same boy who had picked her up after she fell from her bike, the same boy who had build Lego houses with her, and the same boy who had caught her when she fell to her knees after the most painful experience in her life, her break up with Jake. So why would things be different now? It was just because her mind was an emotional rollercoaster, with the giant contradiction between how happy Yung Woo made her and how angry and sad Aron had made her. 

"Is it just me or is this a little awkward?" Aron chuckled. Erica smiled, 

"Please explain it to, because I don't understand. It was so not you."

"I know, and I'm very sorry that I treated you like that. I don't get it either."

"I never saw you like that."

"I never felt like that. I guess I was just scared."

"Scared?" Erica was confused. Aron was not the kind of guy to get scared. And what was it that scared him?

"Yeah. I was afraid he was another . When you broke up with Jake, you were miserable. Even when you were still with him, I could see you fade away. And then you came here, and I saw you becoming the girl you used to be again. I saw you being happy again. And I thought he might change that. I never want to see you go back into that misery again. Not ever. I love you to much to let that happen a second time. I won't let my best friend slip away again." Somehow she got tears in her eyes. She could have known he'd be protective, he had always been, but it still flattered her to know that he cared enough about her to actually scare guys away. 

"Thank you," she whispered when she leaned to his shoulder, "for being such a dickhead. But don't do it again." He chuckled again and wrapped his arms around her. She was his little songbird, he had to protect her from the vultures that ruled this world. But maybe Yung Woo was not one of them.

"What do you like about him?" He asked sincerely interested. 

"He makes me feel special. I don't know how he does it. It's been a long time since I felt like this." He nodded. While she spoke, her eyes had lit up like the stars at nightfall. He really did make her happy.

"Well, tell him I'm sorry."

"Do you want to meet him?" She asked enthusiastically. 

"Don't push it."