Chapter 8: Chocolate

Near To You - Nu'est

She was dead tired, but somehow she couldn't move herself to bed. She was watching tv, but she didn't see the images. She kept on thinking about her phone, that was turned off and on the bottom of her purse. Ren, JR, Baekho and Minhyun already went to bed. Aron sat next to her on the couch, and he knew exactly what she was thinking about. He knew she was afraid to go to sleep all alone, he knew she was afraid to wake up tomorrow morning and realize it was not a dream. She was terrified to turn on her phone again and receive all the calls and texts Jake had sent her, knowing they probably weren't that nice. She sighed, and he knew she was swallowing the tears because she was ashamed of them. He got up from the couch, went to the kitchen and opened the cupboard. When he found what he was looking for, he went back to the living room and gave it to Erica. She looked at the wrapper, and frowned because she couldn't understand the symbols.

"What is it?" She asked. He sat closer to her, took the wrapper and pointed at the word.

"Do you recognize any of those characters?" She pointed at the snake like figure.

"That one. It's an 'r', right?"

"In this case it's an 'l' And the first vowel? Do you still remember the way we write our words?" She nodded, tried to remember what the vowel sounded like. She knew it was some kind of 'o', but maybe it was a 'u' or a 'eu'... She had no idea.

"I's an 'o' Like in 'over'," Aron explained. He like teaching her, especially because she was a very smart girl. She learnt very fast, but she never believed him when he told her she was clever.

"That one is pronounced like 'tsj, right?" She pointed at the first consonant. Aron smiled. He knew she'd remember something.

"So, tsjo... Oh, it's chocolate!"  She opened the wrapper and took a bite. It was like heave on her tongue. He said the word out loud, she giggled. She liked it when he spoke Korean, but it was still weird.

"Repeat it!" He said. She tried her best, but she knew she failed when he suppressed  grin.

"Was it that bad?"

"Terrible. You should practice some more. We'll teach you."

"I first want to know the entire alphabet."

"I think I have some books. I'll give them tomorrow. First you should go to bed." Her smile faded, she put the last bite in . 

"I don't want to."

"I know, but being exhausted won't make you feel any better. Believe me, you should go to bed. If you feel lonely or have a bad dream, you can wake me up. I sleep in that room. Come on." He helped her get up, she hugged him tightly before she went inside.

"I love you," she muttered.

"I love you too. Good night."

"Sleep tight."

"Don't let the bed bug bite." She smiled lightly, gave him a kiss on the cheek and entered her bedroom. She heard his door close, and suddenly she was surrounded by the worst feeling in the world. 

Loneliness.