Small Hopes

Four Years Past: Will The Flames Still Burn Bright?

At the hospital, nothing had changed. Jae Hwa and Jae Sun where getting bigger and healthier, but Jin Ae showed no change. Woo Bin, Ji Hoo and the babies parents sat around room, trying to make the best of the situation. Then, the door swung open and a woman walked in.

She wore a skirt which didn't cover anything, and a top which also covered nothing. Her heels where sky high, and she was buried deep in piles of make up.

'Mi Ah' Woo Bin spoke as she walked in.

'That's your girlfriend?' Jun Pyo said loudly to Woo Bin.

'Ooooppa.' She dragged out the O sound. 'You haven't seen me in too long. Your always here with these rats.' She looked at the children in a disgusted manner.

'What did you say?' Woo Bin asked. His tone was angry. Jun Pyo passed Jae Hwa to Ji Hoo so he could stand up threateningly.

'Those are my children you where talking about.' He said growling. Mi Ah giggled.

'Sweeties, I didn't mean anything by it.' She put a hand on each of the men's chests. Jan Di got up out of bed. In leggings, pigtails and a big pink jumper with pink hearts on it she didn't look very scary, but her gaze was one that would make grown men shrivel.

'I think you should leave.' She said, pulling Mi Ah's hand off Jun Pyo.

'No. My boyfriend's here, so I see no reason why I should.' She said.

'Mi Ah, leave. We'll talk later.' Woo Bin said. Mi Ah glared, she stomped towards the door way and then stopped at last minute, turning around. She pouted and pulled puppy dog eyes.

'Not even a kiss goodbye?' She pouted.

'Sorry I'm holding a "rat"' Woo Bin quoted her earlier words, and pointed to Jae Sun in his arms.

'How about money for a cab home?' She fluttered her eye lashes.

'Go.' He told her. She pulled a face and stormed out. Woo Bin looked to his friends, none of whom where making eye contact. Then Jan Di turned to him.

'Oppa. I don't know what's going through your mind right now, or why you're dating her, but I'm trusting this is going to pass. And I'm forgiving your involvement in her comment because you've been so good for the past few weeks.' Jan Di said.

'What she said.' Jun Pyo snapped. He put his hands in to Jin Ae's ventilator to hold her hand again. Or rather so she could hold his finger. A sudden beeping came from Jin Ae's machine. Nurses ran straight in and looked at the machine. They pushed back Jun Pyo, and they ran straight out of the room with Jin Ae.

'Stay with them.' Jan Di and Jun Pyo told their friends holding their babies quickly. They went dashing after Jin Ae.

'What's happening now?' Jan Di asked desperately.

'We need to take her for a scan, another anomaly happened.' The nurse said. They got to the room. Jun Pyo and Jan Di waited outside tensely. They each other's hands in a death lock. Neither of them moved. The nurse emerged.

'We think during her last surgery a small puncture was made to the vena cava. We need to operate again quickly.' She said, and then she walked away. Jan Di took a deep breath in through her nose.

'Lets get through this.' She said. She squeezed Jun Pyo's hand tightly. He nodded. They calmly followed the trolley to the operating theatre. All they could do was breathe. Neither of them spoke a word. They just watched the surgeons cut up their baby.

It was a quick surgery. But it felt like it went on forever. Once it was over they all went back up to the room. It wasn't long before the baby came back around, and it was like magic. It had been mere hours since the surgery, and already, she wasn't as sluggish as before. She was kicking and wriggling like crazy, and being utterly fascinated by the plastic. Jun Pyo grinned down at her. Jan Di looked in from the other side and did the same. Finally, it all seemed like it was going to be fine. And not the kind of fine where you're just lying to yourself. It seemed really okay.