Family Smiles

Four Years Past: Will The Flames Still Burn Bright?

On one sunny morning in late April, Yi Jung woke up to find Ga Eul not beside him in their large bed. They had long since given up on the idea of two beds, although no one else knew this. He looked around, and climbed out of bed, shoving a shirt on in the process. He walked down stairs, where the sound of sizzling was coming from the kitchen. He walked in to the kitchen, so find Ga Eul standing at the stove, making pancakes. She was still in her pink pyjamas and looked very cute.

'Jaygia, you're making breakfast again? You haven't been up all night, right?' He asked in a concerned tone.

'No, I slept well. I finished my organisation at about elven last night, so I'm very happy.' She said. She hadn't turned around, but her tone told him she was smiling. He walked up behind her and put his arms around his waist. She smiled.

'We're getting married in two days.' She said. Yi Jung chuckled.

'I am aware, I may even turn up.' He joked.

'Don't say that, I'm nervous.' She said.

'I'll be there hours early, okay? How about you? Do you plan to turn up. Don't do a Jan Di on me and run away before the wedding.' He chuckled.

'She didn't run away, she went to clear her mind. But I'm going to stay at the hotel the night before, and I promise I wont leave.' She laughed. She flipped the pancake. Then she sighed. 'I wish Jae Kyung was coming, but she said she just couldn't.'

'That's weird for her. Do you think something is going on?' Yi Jung asked. He frowned a little as his Fiancée was unhappy.

'She said the thing with her fiancée isn't working out so she's going on a trip to find herself...I wasn't meant to tell you that. She said to keep it a secret.' Ga Eul said quickly.

'Why is it a secret?' Yi Jung asked.

'Because it could get back to her parents who want to know where is is. Only me and Jan Di are meant to know.'

'I wont tell anyone.' Yi Jung said simply. 'Are you ready to meet my family later?'

'I wish I could of met them sooner, but I think I'm ready.' Ga Eul said. She turned the pan off and turned around to face Yi Jung. 'Do they want to meet me? I'm not from a good family or anything.' She said bluntly.

'You've met my father, he's slightly better no a-days and he's heavily embarrassed about what happened before. You kinda know my brother and his wife Eun Jae, they both like you, and your good with kids so their little boy will like you-'

'What's his name again?' Ga Eul asked.

'Dae Yong. And then there's only my grandfather, and he's just happy I'm getting married.' Yi Jung said. Ga Eul nodded she looked as if she was in deep thought. She passed him a plate of pancakes, before taking her own and sitting down.

'Jaygia, don't worry. If you want to leave at any point just tap your nose three times, okay?' He said.

Ga Eul laughed and nodded.

A few hours later, and they where on the way to his Grandfather's house. Ga Eul was dressed nicely in a light blue dress, and Yi Jung wore a causal suit. They stopped suddenly as they reached house. Outside the house a little boy who was about three or four was running around. He looked at Yi Jung and Ga Eul as they got out the car.

'Umma! There's a strange people here!' The little boy yelled. Ga Eul started laughing uncontrollably, her nerves escaped with the laughter. The boy's mother walked out of the house she smiled.

'Yi Jung-ah, Ga Eul-ah.' She smiled. She then turned to her son. 'Dae Yong, that's your aunt and uncle, they're not strange. Aunt Ga Eul is a school teacher, so I'm sure she knows lots of fun games to play, why don't you ask her if she knows any.' She said. The little boy ran over to Ga Eul cautiously. His father appeared out of the door.

'Yi Jung-ah.' He said. He moved forward to hug his brother. They both patted each other on the back.

'I see Ga Eul and Dae Yong are getting acquainted.' He laughed. Ga Eul smiled and waved at him. The little boy walked closer to him. She crouched down so she was at his hight.

'Hi.' She smiled.

'Are you my new Aunt?' He asked.

'Yes, sweetie.' She smiled. 'I'm Ga Eul.'

'You're very pretty.' He said. She laughed.

'You're very charming, does that run in this family?' She asked.

'Daddy said it does.' The boy responded. Ga Eul laughed again.

'Rascal, don't run off with my wife, okay?' Yi Jung called over to the little boy. The little boy nodded seriously.

'Do you know any games?' Dae Yong asked. Ga Eul nodded.

'I know lots, but I think I should go meet your granddad and your great granddad first.' She smiled. The little boy nodded.

'I'll go and find my toys.' He ran off. Ga Eul smiled, she stood back up and returned to Yi Jung's side.

'Lets go inside.' He said. Ga Eul nodded. Her brief meeting with the little boy had made her feel much better. The inside of the house was very grand, and it had interesting objects on every surface, like a mini museum. She was walked in a living room where Yi Jung's father was sat with his grandfather. Yi Jung's grandfather looked a lot like Yi Jung, but a very old version. He was ancient.

'Is this her?' He asked Yi Jung loudly. He seemed rude, but Ga Eul could see hearing aids in his ears.

'Yes, grandfather.' Yi Jung said. Ga Eul smiled nervously and bowed.

'You're a school teacher?' He asked.

'Yes, sir.' Ga Eul replied.

'And your father works at a small company?'

'That's right.' She said.

'Your best friend is married to the heir of Shinhwa?'

'Yes, but I don't see how that's relevant.' She said. Yi Jung's grandfather chuckled.

'I like you, sit down.' He told her. Ga Eul's eyes widened in shock. 'Don't look so surprised. I've heard lots about you, I decided that before you arrived.' He said.

'You did?' Ga Eul asked.

'If any one can stop him bring dishonour to the family with all those girls, I'm impressed. And you haven't taken any of our money, you're honest, loyal, I like those qualities.' He said. Ga Eul smiled.

'I bless this marriage too.' Yi Jung's father said. Ga Eul looked shocked it had been so easy. Dae Yong ran back in to the room with two toy robots. He stopped in front of Ga Eul and pulled her skirt.

'Can we play robots?' He asked bashfully. Ga Eul smiled at the small child.

'Of course we can, where should we go?' She asked.

'They back garden is a good place to play robots.' Yi Jung's grandfather said smiling. Ga Eul nodded and walked out with Dae Yong, glancing at Yi Jung once before she followed the child outside.

'You look really happy.' Yi Jung's brother commented.

'I am happy.' Yi Jung said. He peered out the window that showed the garden. Ga Eul and his nephew where running around, each holding a toy robot. His heart swelled.