Picnic Time

Four Years Past: Will The Flames Still Burn Bright?

On one Saturday morning in late summer in Seoul, it was decided it was the perfect day for a picnic. Of course, taking three three month old babies any where was quiet tricky, so the destination was to be the land behind the Goo mansion. Jan Di had put out a large picnic blanket in the garden, and was bringing out plate after plate of food. Each of the triplets was sat in a baby chair, Jun Pyo was sat with them. Jin Ae wouldn't stop babbling, as normal. Jae Hwa kicked his feet excitedly and Jae Sun was slightly more solemn.

'What are you saying? That I'm great? Thank you.' Jun Pyo grinned at Jin Ae. His daughter was finally good, and most importantly alive. He glanced around. Jan Di was still inside. It was just him and the three of them.

'I'll tell you a secret Goo Jin Ae, okay?' He leaned in closer to her. 'You're my mermaid okay? You're magical because you're still alive... and Goo Jin Ae, you're going to swim when you're bigger. You're going to be great like your mother... because I stopped her from being able to, when I didn't protect her like I should. Lets live her dreams through you, okay?' Jun Pyo said to her. She kept babbling, and reached forward and grabbed his nose. Jun Pyo laughed. Jan Di walked back in to the garden. It seemed Woo Bin had turned up. He was helping her carry out the food.

'Look, can you see your uncle and your mum?' Jun Pyo asked Jin Ae. He moved out of her line of vision so she could see. Both of the adults walking towards her smiled and pulled faces. They sat down.

'Yo, yo, yo.' Woo Bin said. He sat down and hi-fived the triplet's little hands. Jin Ae continued to babbles random sounds. Jan Di picked up a bottle of milk and held it up to Jin Ae's mouth. Jin Ae finally went quiet as she drank. Jae Hwa started kicking his legs more than ever. Jan Di glanced over her shoulder to see Ji Hoo walking over. He was carrying a Thermos. He sat down on the picnic blanket.

'Hey. I brought some soup.' He said smiling. Jan Di smiled and took it, pouring it in to small bowls . Ga Eul and Yi Jung had arrived, and where slowly walking across the garden. A heavily pregnant Ga Eul was taking a lot of time to walk over. Once they where all sat down, the started eating their food quickly.

'Woo Bin-Oppa, are you dating any one at the moment?' Ga Eul asked him. He looked surprised at first she had asked him, and then he shook his head.

'There was an annoying girl at my med school who constantly talked about you. She's probally still single.' Jan Di laughed. Ji Hoo laughed too.

'Yeah, she kept trying to flirt with me to get your number.' Ji Hoo said. Woo Bin laughed.

'I think I'm looking for some who's not crazy.' Woo Bin joked.

Ga Eul sat up excitedly.

'Tell me your ideal type! I'll find out some one.' Ga Eul exclaimed.

'Ga Eul-ah, you don't know that many people.' Jan Di pointed out. Ga Eul shrugged and looked at Woo Bin waiting for an answer.

'You really want to know?' He asked laughing.

'I'm curious too now you mention it.' Jun Pyo said. Woo Bin laughed. He thought.

'I like girls with big personalities. I like medium length hair. Big eyes. Small waist. Tallish.' He looked at Jan Di and Ga Eul and laughed. 'You both are too small for my liking.'

The two of them laughed.

'We're pretty small.' Jan Di admitted. 'What else. I'll help too.' She said.

'I can't think of much more.' Woo Bin admitted.

'He says he doesn't like cute girls, but he likes girls that are a little cute.' Yi Jung told them. Ga Eul laughed.

'Yeah, and he says he likes cool girls, but he wants one that acts cool but is really dorky.' Jun Pyo said.

'How do you know?' Jan Di asked curiously.

'I've known him a long time.' Jun Pyo replied.

'Then Ji Hoo-Oppa, what do you know?' Ga Eul asked him. Ji Hoo held up a finger as he finished chewing what he was eating.

'He wants girls when they don't want him.' Ji Hoo said.

'Woah. You people need to start working as detectives.' Woo Bin exclaimed. Ga Eul sat still. She was sure she knew some one like all those things, but couldn't put her finger on who.

'How about Ginger? She's still single.' Jun Pyo joked. Jan Di's expression changed.

'Have you been keeping in touch with Ginger?' She asked.

'I did not think I'd live to see the day when Jan Di almost admits she gets jelous too.' Woo Bin said.

'Hey! Firstly, of course she'd be jelous, it's me. Secondly, I saw her at a business event.' Jun Pyo said as if it was obvious.

'You should of told me if you'd seen her! I really want to punch her.' Ga Eul said. 'After all she did to Jan Di-ah, and Sunny and Miranda, I'd love to get some revenge.'

'Yeah, I'm sure Yi Jung would love me if I told his five month pregnant wife where some one was so they could have a fist fight.' Jun Pyo replied sarcastically. Ga Eul looked angry.

'The best revenge is living well. Haven't you heard that?' Ji Hoo said calmly.

'Yeah, is any one in the world living better than our Geum Jan Di? That means you got the best revenge little sis.' Woo Bin laughed. Jan Di laughed too.

'I still want to hit her.' Ga Eul pouted. Yi Jung laughed.

'Maybe after the baby.' He patted her on the back comfortingly.

'It's on my bucket list. Punch Ginger, Sunny and Miranda.' Ga Eul said.

'When did you add that?' Jan Di asked.

'As soon as you weren't looking.' Ga Eul admitted.

'When did you write a bucket list?' Yi Jung asked in a surprised tone. Ga Eul looked at Jan Di and they both started counting on their fingers.

'About four and a half years ago.' They both said at the same time.

'Just after you left.' Ga Eul said.

'You have one too?' Jun Pyo asked Jan Di. She nodded.

'I had one, but I lost it.' She admitted. Ga Eul shook her head.

'I have them both. We need to cross off a whole of things that we've done.' Ga Eul said.

'What do you have to cross off?' Woo Bin asked. Jae Sun started making a fuss, so Jan Di reached for him, and bounced him on her lap.

'Well...' Ga Eul started, and then paused to think. 'Jan Di got married, I got married, she had kids and passed med school, I passed teaching college and got a job, she got a job at Ji Hoo's clinic... we both went to the beach at sun set with Woo Bin-Oppa, and Ji Hoo-Oppa. Oh, we got our siblings to date so I can cross that off...' Ga Eul trailed off.

'We've done a lot of the things we wrote down.' Jan Di said. Ga Eul nodded.

'What do you still have to do?' Jun Pyo asked.

'Well it seems Ga Eul still needs to punch Ginger, Sunny and Miranda.' Jan DI laughed.

'And we both still need to go to the aquarium.' Ga Eul said.

'Why the aquarium?' Yi Jung asked.

'Well when we where little, Jan Di really liked turtles, and I really like seahorses. So we planned to go to the aquarium, but it was too expensive for our parents. But we didn't give up there. We did odd jobs around the neighbourhood until we had all the money. We got scammed on the way. An old lady told us she was sick and couldn't afford the medicine she needed, so we gave her everything. Later that day we saw her again but with a new handbag.' Ga Eul said. She looked sad.

'Lets go now.' Jun Pyo said, he stood up. Jan Di looked at him strangely.

'Now?' She asked. He nodded. He picked up Jae Hwa, and Jin Ae, and started walking across the garden. No one followed. They just sat there.

'Help me up.' Ga Eul whined. 'I wanna go.' She said. Yi Jung chuckled and helped her to her feet. Jan Di followed with Jae Sun, and Ji Hoo and Woo Bin followed after that.

That day they crossed of one more thing off their bucket list.