The Knock At The Door

Four Years Past: Will The Flames Still Burn Bright?

It was a cold morning, and snow was pouring out of the heavens. The triplets had just passed the seven month stage, and where getting big. Little Sang Min, was just over two months old. It was safe to say when the F4, their wives and babies got together, it was a noisy affair, just that thing was happening on the snowy morning. It had been quite a few weeks since it had been possible to get together, so every one was having a great time.

In the kitchen where Jan Di, Ga Eul and Ji Hoo, who where preparing lunch together. It was always much nicer to eat food made with love, rather than what the chefs made.

'Jan Di-ah, I don't know how you survive with three, seriously. I find it hard enough with one.' Ga Eul said, chopping garlic. Jan Di laughed.

'Yah, I seriously don't do it by myself.' Jan Di laughed. 'But the trick with three is to keep them together and in eyesight at all times.'

'You started back at work didn't you?' Ga Eul asked. Jan Di nodded.

'Just part time. My dad looks after them one day, Ji Hoo's granddad looks after them another and then Jun Hee decides to take a day off to watch them too. Or if I'm working nights Jun Pyo is here anyway.'

'Wow. You've got it sorted then.' Ga Eul said. Jan Di nodded happily.

'When are you going back to work?' Jan Di asked her friend. Ga Eul shrugged.

'I don't know. I kind of don't want to go back, and just want to spend time with him, but I also feel like I might do crazy if I do the same thing everyday.' She said thoughtfully. Jan Di nodded. She understood her friend's problem perfectly.

'Yah, have either of you heard from Jae Kyung recently? She hasn't phoned me in over a month, and I can't get through on the phone either.' Jan Di asked Ji Hoo and Ga Eul.

'I haven't heard from her in four months.' Ji Hoo admitted.

'I haven't heard from her in two.' Ga Eul nodded. 'I'm worried about her.' She admitted. Jan Di put the finished food on a tray. Ji Hoo took the tray and walked it about of the room. Jan Di and Ga Eul sorted out drinks, and bottles of milk between them and took them through.

When they got in to the living room Woo Bin, Jun Pyo and Yi Jung where all sat in a circle around the babies. Sang Min was sat up in a baby seat. His eyes where cautiously on Jin Ae who was sat up next to him, and babbling non-stop to him. Jae Sun and Jae Hwa where practising their rolling abilities. The food was passed around, and Ji Hoo, Ga Eul and Jan Di joined the circle on the floor.

'Sang Min looks like a typical man. He can't get his Noona to be quiet.' Woo Bin said looking at the dynamic between Sang Min and Jin Ae. Like big sister and little brother. Ga Eul laughed.

'He's being a good listener! That's a good quality in a man.' Ga Eul said proudly.

'Jin Ae took from her mother. She never stops talking.' Jun Pyo said making every one laugh, and Jan Di glare playfully.

'But her father doesn't shut up either, so we'll never know who she got that from.' Yi Jung laughed. Jan Di laughed a lot.

A maid then walked up to the happy group of friends. She bowed.

'Miss.' She said to Jan Di. 'There's a woman at the door asking for you.' She said. Jan Di turned around and looked surprised.

'Who?' She asked with surprised eyes. The maid shrugged.

'She wouldn't give me her name, but she looks familiar for some reason.' She said.

'Oh?' Jan Di said getting up. She looked down at Jin Ae who was scooting towards her in a way she'd learnt resentfully. 'Do you want to come with me to see who it is?' Jan Di asked the baby who smiled. Jan Di laughed and bent over to pick her up. 'Watch the other two.' She told Jun Pyo. He nodded and continued eating. Jan Di walked towards the door. There was no one there, so she slipped on a pair of shoes and walked out on to the porch. A woman was stood with her back to Jan Di. She was tall.

'Hello?' Jan Di said trying to peer around to see who it was. The woman turned around. Her hair was long, down to her ribs in fact. She wore high heeled boots that looked expensive but worn down. At her foot was a large suitcase that was very battered. She wore a dark green military style coat that had a hole at the elbow. She held it wrapped around her. Her arms where crossed. Underneath a cream blouse was just visible. She was wearing black trousers. She also wore a trucker style hat, in dark green that matched her coat. Jan Di still couldn't tell who she was. She couldn't see her face, and then. She looked up. The large eyes outlined in smudged eye liner jumped out at Jan Di. She knew this person.

'Unnie.' She mumbled quietly. It was Jae Kyung, some one she hadn't seen in a very long time. Jae Kyung looked on edge. She glanced around nervously.

'Can I come in? She asked.

'Of course you can!' Jan Di said. 'Just leave your bag here.' She said. Jae Kyung nodded. She kept her arms wrapped around her, and her big coat folded over her.

'Jan Di, I really need to talk to you. I need your help and-' She trailed off as they got to the living room. Her big eyes narrowed and then widened as she saw the F4. It was like she'd seen a ghost.

'Their cars weren't in the drive way!' She exclaimed shakily. 'Why are they here?' She said. She looked like she was going to cry. She didn't look like the confident Jae Kyung she used to be in the least. She was like a scared little girl.

'Unnie!' Ga Eul exclaimed happily standing up.

'We had a bigged garage put in. They're in the garage.' Jan Di said, confused as to why it mattered. Woo Bin had frozen. His eyes where fixed on Jae Kyung's who was trying to to make eye contact with him.

'I think I should leave.' Jae Kyung said. She turned quickly. Jan Di grabbed on to her with the one hand that was not on Jin Ae. Jan Di did not understand what was going on. But she saw fear in her friend's eyes as she turned around. Jae Kyung's arms where still folded. Baby Jin Ae did not understand what was going on either. She was just babbling still, like she normally did. But then, another small sound came. But it wasn't from Jin Ae's mouth. It came from under Jae Kyung's coat. Jin Ae, happy to get a response started babbling more. More sound came from under Jae Kyung's coat too.

'Have you got a dog under there?' Ga Eul asked. Jae Kyung was frozen in her spot. She didn't respond. Jan Di moved closer to Jae Kyung to try and read her body language better. Jin Ae lunged forwards, nearly escaping Jan Di's arms. Her little hand clasped on to Jae Kyung's coat. Jae Kyung still didn't move. Her arms fell to her side, like she had given up her fight to keep them folded. She was a sling around her middle. A black one. Like the ones mothers carry babies around in. Ga Eul gasped as she sling moved. Jan Di stuck out her shaking hand. She carefully pulled back a little of the sling. A smiling face of a small baby greeted her. She looked from the baby, and then back to Jae Kyung. The baby didn't look that much like her. Jan Di took a small sigh of relief.

'Unnie, whose baby is this?' Jan Di asked. Jae Kyung still stood frozen.

'It's mine.' She whispered quietly. Jan Di's eyes widened. She looked to Ga Eul whose eyes where just as wide. Shen, Jae Kyung suddenly fell to the floor. She landed on her back, with her arms around her baby to protect it. Jan Di bent over quickly. She took Jae Kyung heart beat. She was fine. She then checked her airways which where also fine. She then carefully picked the baby up. She held Jin Ae in one hand, and Jae Kyung's baby in the other. While just about every one else was still frozen in shock, Ji Hoo rushed forwards to double check what Jan Di had just tested. Jan Di ran with the two babies she was carrying. She got out to the porch.

With a trick she learnt how to do because of her triplets. She wrapped her arm around Jin Ae, and used the her hand to pick up Jae Kyung's bag. She went back in to the house quickly. Ji Hoo must of agreed with her diagnosis of passing out, because Jae Kyung was on the couch, and he had just put an I.V in her arm to keep her hydrated. Ga Eul was knelt by her side. Woo Bin was still completely frozen, and Jun Pyo and Yi Jung just kept looking at each other, then to the babies and then to Jae Kyung. Jan Di went to a spare bit of space on the floor. She placed down the bag, and then Jin Ae who could sit up by herself. Jae Kyung's baby did not look as old as Jin Ae. She placed him down on the floor carefully so it could lie down. She the baby's stomach to keep it calm. Jin Ae kept babbling.

She opened Jae Kyung's suitcase quickly. She started digging through it to find information. Anything that could tell her something about what had happened, and who this baby was. Then, she found a birth certificate. Only the bottom was visible from her angle.

Mother : Ha Jae Kyung it said. There was then a scribble of a signature. The father's name she glanced at, and then looked away just as quickly as Jin Ae babbled louder. It had no signature next to it. It was just written there. Jan Di looked back to it, and gasped as she read it properly. She then rubbed her eyes again. Father: Song Woo Bin. It said. She pulled out the rest of the certificate quickly.

Song Min Ki. She read. He was four months old. Jan Di looked at the baby, and then quickly up at Woo Bin. It wasn't a common name, it wasn't a coincidence. The baby looked just like him. She thought back to a baby picture of Woo Bin she had seen last Christmas. The baby in the picture and the one in front of her looked identical.

Jan Di looked up.

'Yah Song Woo Bin.' She shouted. He looked up, finally being unfrozen from his shock. 'This is your baby!' She yelled. Every one paused what they where doing. Jae Kyung's eyes had fluttered open. But she didn't move.

'It can't be.' Woo Bin said. Then, he saw everything join up. He ran over to where Jan Di was sat with the babies. She passed him the certificate. He looked at it quickly, and then he looked at the baby. It did look like him. He stumbled backwards, but caught himself. He crouched down over the small baby.

'It can't be.' He mumbled again.

'It is.' Jae Kyung mumbled quietly. She sat up and looked at his feet.

'The reason you haven't been back to visit is you've been on the run...with Woo Bin's baby?' Jun Pyo asked. 'How did you even have Woo Bin's baby, you where never together.' He added insensitively.

'We where sleeping together.' Woo Bin said quietly. He was staring at the baby on the floor. It smiled at him. He felt like falling over, but he didn't. He bent over, and picked it up. The way he had learnt with all the babies that had been around recently. The baby smiled at him, like he knew it was his dad. Jin Ae started crying at that moment. Jan Di picked her up. She bounced her up and down, which normally made her stop. But she didn't stop crying this time. Woo Bin looked over to Jae Kyung who was looking at him. He walked across the living room. He took her I.V out of Ji Hoo's hands.

'Lets go and talk.' He said. Jae Kyung nodded and stood up. She held out her arms for the baby. But Woo Bin didn't pass it to her. He lead her upstairs in to one of the guest rooms. He locked the door behind him.

'Did you know before you left?' He asked her.

'That I was pregnant?' She asked. Woo Bin nodded. She shook her head. 'No. I really did go back to America to get back with Tommy. We went to dinner together once, it was then I realised I love you and no one else.'

'Then why didn't you come back?' Woo Bin shouted. His eyes watered up in frustration. 'Why Jae Kyung. Why?'

'Yah don't shout like that in front of my baby.' She snapped. But little baby Song Min Ki just kept smiling.

'He's my baby too. I can make those decisions. Now answer the question. Why didn't you come back?' He asked desperately. Jae Kyung's big eyes watered too.

'Because before I could I realised I was pregnant. And you didn't want kids. And I thought you would hate me, and make me abort him.' She said. Her tone was a quiet scream. Woo Bin sighed. Half in sadness, and half in frustration.

'Kyung-ah. When have I ever said I didn't want kids? When did I even not tell you I love you. I've told you so many times! Do you know how hard I've been trying to get over you? You left for over a year!' He shouted. Jae Kyung's tears started escaping down her face.

'I'm sorry.' She said simply. Woo Bin took a deep breath in.

'Why did you decide to come back if you thought all this?' He said.

'It was after I had him. I ran away before my parents could find out I was pregnant. They cut me off too. I've been working as a waitress. I couldn't do it. I had debts from my hospital bills, and he had to eat, and I had to eat. I needed help, I still need help. I talked to Jan Di about a month ago... she mentioned in passing how helpful every one was being with the triplets. She said after Jun Pyo of course, you where the most helpful. I thought about those words a lot. I sold most of my designer clothes then, and my jewellery to pay for a plane ticket back. I hadn't sold it until then, because it was my pride. But what use is pride with out love or friends.' She admitted sadly. She spoke with a tone of a broken woman.

'Then why did you come here instead of to my house?' He asked shaking his head.

'I came here because I wanted to wash, and eat, and cut my hair and do all those petty things before I had to come and beg for forgiveness. I wanted to ask how you where doing. If you where dating, but it didn't work out that way.' She said looking down to the floor. Woo Bin just looked at the baby he was holding. His baby. He didn't believe it. Just a few hours ago he had no children, now he had a son.

'I called him Min Ki. Song Min Ki. I gave him your family name...do you like the name Min Ki?' She asked hesitantly.

'I like it. You said you love me now. Jae Kyung, how did you think this was going to work out? Did you think you could just show back up and I'd forgive you?' He asked.

'No. But Ki didn't do anything wrong.' She said looking at her baby. Woo Bin laughed a little.

'Of course I'm not mad at the baby. I'm mad at you. I still love you, but I need time to work out where we're going to go from here.' He said. Jae Kyung nodded. She sighed. 'And I need to get to know Min Ki. Move in to my house for now, you can stay in the guest room... I'll get a cot.' He said. Jae Kyung stepped forwards quickly. She jumped up, wrapping her legs around his waist and her arms around her neck. She pressed her head in to his neck. He could feel that she was crying. It was a good thing he was strong because she wasn't light, and the baby was squirming in his arms. He didn't move. He didn't want to. It all felt so right yet so wrong.

Of course every one was behind the door listening. Ga Eul had her ear to the door. Jan Di was stood near to it. She was holding Jae Hwa who was asleep, allowing them to spy. Between the other three guys who where standing leaning against the door they held Jae Sun, Jin Ae and Sang Min. No one moved. None of them knew what to do in the situation.