Bitter Honey

Four Years Past: Will The Flames Still Burn Bright?

'Honey, can you take the day off work today?' Hyo Joo asked as she and her husband lay in bed that morning. She had moved in to Ji Hoo's house just after they got married, and that had been three months ago now. Ji Hoo's grandfather had also been on a trip to the sea side for the past few weeks, so they had the entire house to themselves. Ji Hoo smiled at the beautiful woman in bed next to him. He stoked her hair out of her eyes.

'Well I'm the boss, I think that's possible.' He laughed. 'How about you, do you think your boss would let you have the day off?'

Hyo Joo laughed. 'Jan Di wanted to see what work in the children's department was like, so we've swapped shifts. I'll do hers at the regular clinic on Sunday.' Hyo Joo said. Ji Hoo nodded. 'Also, today's the fortune told day of my death, but since I don't want to die I thought I better just stay extra safe in our house all day.'

'That sounds good.' Ji Hoo said. He wrapped his arms around her tightly, and buried his face in to her hair. 'I love you.' He said. Hyo Joo smiled.

'I love you too.' She smiled.

'Lets live together for the next a hundred years.' Ji Hoo said.

'It might need to be two hundred. There's so much I want to do with you.' Hyo Joo said. Ji Hoo leaned over and kissed her on the cheek.

'Like what?' He asked. Hyo Joo rolled from her side on to her back. She placed her head on Ji Hoo's chest.

'Well I want to go to Scotland, and see and the ruins of old castles. I want to drive to the beach to see the sunrise.' Hyo Joo paused to think. Then she laughed. 'I want to see Goo Jin Ae grow up and start dating, just to see how her dad's going to cope with that.'

Ji Hoo laughed too.

'He's going to go crazy.' He replied. 'As for the beach thing, we can go later today and see it set.'

'Really?' Hyo Joo smiled. Ji Hoo smiled and nodded in reply. She yawned and her stomach grumbled. Ji Hoo laughed.

'Wait here, Honey. I'll make us pancakes.' Ji Hoo stood up. Hyo Joo sat up in bed. She kissed him briefly.

'Can you put lemon juice and sugar on top of mine?' She asked. Ji Hoo chuckled.

'Of course.' He leaned over and kissed her on the forehead. 'While I'm gone think about where you want to go on our honeymoon. We haven't had one yet, and I'm not exactly short on cash to pay for it.'

'Hmm... Greece sounds good... so does the Caribbean.' Hyo Joo thought out loud. Ji Hoo smiled.

'Anything you want.' He said. He walked out of the room and in to the kitchen. He laid out the ingredients for pancakes and started cooking.

'Paris seems good too! Ga Eul-Unnie said it was amazing when she went.' Hyo Joo shouted through the house. Ji Hoo smiled as he cooked.

'Yeah, Paris is great. I know it well, I'll take you to all the best places.' He shouted back.

'Yeah, lets go to Paris! And then maybe we can go somewhere else in France and do some outdoor sports like rock climbing and boating.' She shouted.

'Yeah, and then we can go skiing.' Ji Hoo shouted back.

'That sounds amazing. A honeymoon adventure.' Hyo Joo shouted back.

'A honeymoon adventure.' Ji Hoo repeated to himself chuckling. He smiled again. He hadn't really been able to keep the smile off his face since he'd married Hyo Joo. She was his everything. Not perfect, but perfect for him. He finished breakfast and slipped it on to a tray. From the garden he pulled out a white rose, and carefully put it on the side. He walked back in to his and Hyo Joo's bedroom. She was lying down again with her eyes closed. He smiled wider. She was adorable, falling back asleep again. He put the tray down on side table.

'Honey.' He said softly. He reached over to her and shook her carefully. She still didn't move. He chuckled again and rolled her over. 'Honey.' He cooed again. She didn't move. Ji Hoo quickly shook her again. This time he shouted he name. With no response he checked her pulse. Nothing. He checked her breathing. Nothing. Suddenly a trickle of blood trickled out of her nose. He screamed again. CPR was his next move. He completed a full set. With no response, he quickly carried her out of the car. He drove as fast as possible.

'Hyo Joo, I love you. Pull through his.' He thought as he pulled up to the nearest hospital to his house. The children's clinic. Although she wasn't a child, it would have to do, and he knew all the equipment was high tec. He could treat her, he was sure of it. But he needed better equipment. He pulled her in to the clinic. He saw Jan Di tending to a cut on a small child's knee. He pushed past her and went straight upstairs where most of the emergency equipment was.

'What's happening?' Jan Di shouted running behind him. Ji Hoo placed Hyo Joo on a hospital bed. He pulled out the defibrillators and rubbed them together. Jan Di who had caught up rushed over. She too check pulse and breathing. She moved forwards to give her CPR. Ji Hoo pushed her back.

'No, I've done that.' Ji Hoo told Jan Di. He forced the electric paddles down on Hyo Joo's chest. Her body twitched as she electricity travelled through her. Jan Di ran over to get the heart monitor. She pulled it in to Hyo Joo, and the horrific flat lining sound started. Ji Hoo tried again to get his wife's heart beat started, put it just wasn't happening. He tried again and again. Jan Di slowly moved the bed Hyo Joo was sleeping on over to the brain scanner. Ji Hoo kept going with the defibrillators. As it wasn't working he moved on to CPR again. Jan Di started the brain scanner. She waited by the machine, almost frozen. As the brain scanner started Ji Hoo slid down the wall. He screamed with grief. Jan Di waited by the machine. She was trying hard to stay calm, but a tear started trickling down her face.

She looked at the machine as the images of Hyo Joo's brain appeared on the screen.

'It was a brain aneurysm. It couldn't of been avoided. These things are so sudden. She bled out in to her brain quickly. She probably didn't even realise she was dying.' Jan Di spoke out. She then left the room. Ji Hoo realised it was so she could call the undertaker. She would also have to return to the clinic. There where children downstairs waiting to be treated. Ji Hoo crawled across the room as she left. He looked at the bed. Hyo Joo still looked the same. Her short chic hair was fanned out around her. Her lips where still cherry red. Her face still caring and sweet. Ji Hoo picked up one of her hands. Her hands where always so warm. They where cold now. But Ji Hoo kissed it all the small.

'Hyo Joo, I'm not angry at you. I wasn't you fault, I know you where trying to live. I take back every thing I said. We're always be married. I love you. So much... Hyo Joo...Honey...' He couldn't get anything else out. He couldn't even cry. Grief over took him. He kneel down on the floor next to her. He didn't believe she was gone. He didn't want to. His beautiful wife, Hyo Joo.

Down stairs and Jan Di called the undertaker. She didn't know what to do. She stumbled back in to the clinic.

'Every one. We've just had a death in the clinic. If you don't need attention seriously, could you please leave and return tomorrow.' She said loudly. To her surprise every one left quickly.

'I'm so sorry.' One lady said as she left with her son.

'Give my best wishes to the family.' Another lady said. Jan Di nodded. When every one had left she slid to the floor like Ji Hoo had. She called her husband straight away and asked him if he could come and get her with out telling him why.

The loss of Hyo Joo was going to massively effect everyone.