A Happy Meal

Four Years Past: Will The Flames Still Burn Bright?

 

As the limo door slammed shut Jan Di fell silent. Jun Pyo sat down next to her, he didn't mutter a word either. She looked down to her lap. She looked up at him through her fringe. He smiled.

'I missed you.' He said. There was no sense of embarrassment on his face. His arm swung around her shoulder, and she was quickly pushed very close to him. She tapped her fingers on the side of his chest. He looked down at her for a long moment. Then he suddenly sat very upright.

'You still didn't give be an answer!' He said. Jan Di remained seated very calmly. She flashed back to the last time she had been to a beach with him, on probably one of the best days in her life, despite the bad ending. She grabbed either side of his collar, like she had that day, and kissed him softly. Four years of being apart seemed to have only made Gu Jun Pyo's one track mind for Jan Di worse. He responded immediately, and kissed back, also softly. As her hands stayed tightly on his collar, his went to her waist.

The pulled apart for air. The car was driving very fast.

'Did you see my interview earlier today?' Jun Pyo asked. Jan Di shook her head.

'Ga Eul texted me after she saw it... Yah! What's this about a lot of people being interested in your marital status?' Jan Di asked. Her eyes shone with mischief.

'Aish. Geum Jan Di! Does it seem like I'm interested in anyone else?' Jun Pyo shouted. His forhead wrinkled and his hands moved rapidly to show his frustration.

'Just checking.' She said sweetly. He ruffled her hair.

'So how much did you miss this great Jun Pyo?' He asked. His long term girlfriend rolled her eyes.

'Great Jun Pyo? Not very much.' She said.

'What?' He screamed. The limo came to a halt. The driver's window opened and the driver peeped through nervously.

'Is everything o-o-o-kay back there?' He stuttered.

'Just drive!' Jun Pyo shouted. The driver nodded, shaking. He closed the windows, and the car drove even faster than before. Probably because the driver wanted to get rid of his crazy passengers quickly.

'I thought you'd matured, idiot.' Jan Di said. Jun Pyo looked sulkily at her.

'Not when Geum Jan Di is involved! Yah, you make me crazy...not even missing me.' He mumbled the last bit. Angrily he reached in to the mini fridge. He pulled out a packet of biscuits, although they where of the fancy variety. He angrily tried to open them, bit in his rage he made the packet explode all over the car of the floor.

'Aish! Really...' He kicked one of them out of the way, and crush another.

'Hey, idiot.' Jan Di said in a loud voice.

'What now?' Gu Jun Pyo shouted. Jan Di's eyes narrowed at his tone, but she chose to continue anyway.

'I didn't miss "the great Jun Pyo" I missed just Jun Pyo.' She sighed. 'Idiot.' She mumbled as an after thought. A brilliant smile hit his face. He pushed her slightly, and then pulled her closer. They then sat in completable silence. Not a word was needed. It had been a long four years. Later there would be long conversations about everything, but right now, they where just going to enjoy each other's presence and warmth.

As Geum Jan Di, and Geum Jan Di just passed in to the outskirts of the city, Yi Jung, Ji Hoo and Woo Bin had just arrived out side the apartment block Jan Di and Ga Eul had been living in for the past two and a half years.

'That was seriously the most terrifying experience of my life, bro! You don't even know the amount of therapy I'm going to need trying to keep up with you just then.' Woo Bin complained. He rubbed the back of his neck. Yi Jung had been driving extremely fast on his way back to Seoul. In fact, extremely didn't even give a good enough impression of just how fast he was going.

'It's like he was trying to get back to Ga Eul dead.' Ji Hoo commented calmly. Yi Jung just chuckled slightly in response. In the less than a minute they had taken to get out of the car, and to have this conversation. The hullabaloo of the loud city street had become magnified massively. Crowds rushed forward for a glimpse of the F4. Especially the member who had only just returned. The screams where loud.

'Which apartment does Ga Eul-ah live in?' Yi Jung asked looking at the numbers on the panel. They had talked so often when he had been away. Of course he knew the area she lived in, and when she had moved in he had gotten some one to look over the building. But that was very many years ago, and the exact number had slipped his mind.

'Doesn't even know the number, tut, tut.' Woo Bin laughed. He pushed his way to the front of the building. He didn't press an apartment number to ring, but rather he entered the door code. He opened the door for Yi Jung to go in first, then himself and a laughing Ji Hoo went in. They got in the lift and took the elevator to the highest floor the elevator offered. Then Ji Hoo lead the way out of the lift, they stopped at another door with a pass code on it.

'Ji Hoo had this code put on here.' Woo Bin laughed and entered the code. 'Look you see the letters underneath the numbers? The code spells out the English word for "safe".' He flipped up a bit of metal that was above the code. He placed his thumb upon the underneath, clearly it was a thumb scanner. 'And Jun Pyo had this one put on. He sniggered as the door opened. A woman's voice that wasn't audible before because of the thick door could now be heard.

'Aish, really, why did they have to put on so many locks, do they even know how hard this is with shopping? It's not like we can't defend our selves either.' She said some bad words. They F4 stepped through the door, and the lady came in to view. Of course it was none other than Ga Eul. She looked very pretty as she swore like a sailor. Her large amounts of shopping bags sat on the stairs around her as she fished in her bag for a key. Ji Hoo cleared his throat. She swung around. She quickly turned red.

'Sunbaes! Oh, hi.' She said looking embarrassed.

'I've never heard so much swearing in my life before.' Yi Jung chuckled. Ga Eul turned red.

'You don't expect it from her so it's more shocking, right?' Woo Bin said.

'It's cute.' Yi Jung said. Now it was time for her face to go from blushing pink to cherry red.

'Use my key.' Ji Hoo passed her his key. She gratefully took it and turned it in the lock.

'That's your extra lock.' Woo Bin said to Yi Jung.

'In that case I'm sorry for the inconvenience with shopping bags.' Yi Jung chuckled.

'No!' Ga Eul said quickly. 'It's good, it keeps us safe.' She smiled sweetly. Yi Jung chuckled again.

'It's Jun Pyo's lock they dislike the most, it doesn't work if their hands are dirty from food, or have hair moisturiser on them, or if their thumbs not quiet in the right position.' Woo Bin said.

'We appreciate the thought from Jun Pyo sunbae...Oh! What happened with him and Jan Di, give me all the details.' She said. She entered the code on the final lock.

'That's my lock.' Woo Bin said to Yi Jung.

'We'll tell you once we're inside, here we'll get all the bags.' Yi Jung said. He easily picked up over half the bags, even thought he was carrying a parcel with him in the first place that was taking one of his arms. Ji Hoo and Woo Bin took the rest. They made their way up the last few steps. Ga Eul protested them taking all the bags and said she could carry some, she was ignored. All those locks and they hadn't even entered the apartment yet. It was a rooftop apartment, just a strangely secure one. Where the concrete floor normally sits Jan Di and Ga Eul had planet grass, and wild flowers, all of which where in full bloom. It was like a mini meadow, that only left enough room for a small path in to the apartment. The door of the apartment was painted lilac, it was very pretty. On the door was another thumb print scanner, and another key pad. Ga Eul quickly unlocked both of these and allowed those carrying the bags to enter the apartment first. Yi Jung looked around with wide eyes, this was really very cute. He noticed his pottery works that he had sent her where all proudly displayed on the shelves. Ji Hoo and Woo Bin placed their bags in kitchen, so he copied. Ga Eul quickly went to work unpacking them. Once everything was laid out on the counter she started pulling out the pots and pans. She looked over her shoulder to the rice cooker and pouted.

'There's not going to be enough, I only put on enough for me and Jan Di.'

'We all know that enough for you and Jan Di is actually going to feed six people.' Woo Bin laughed. Ji Hoo who was standing closet to the rice cooker turned around and peeped inside it.

'I think there actually might be enough to feed twelve today.' He smiled.

Yi Jung took a step closer to Ga Eul who was looking back and fourth between all her ingredients trying to work out what to do first. He s his arm around her waist. She jumped a little at this action. It had not been expected.

Ji Hoo and Woo Bin had noticed.

'Whoa, I never thought I'd see the sight of Yi Jung and a steady girlfriend.' Woo Bin said with large eyes. Ga Eul turned pink, her heart was racing like crazy. She knew Yi Jung would be able to feel it too. She tried to take some of the attention off her.

'So what happened with Jan Di-ah and Jun Pyo-Sunbae?' She asked. She didn't get an answer because the door opened and loud foot steps entered the hall. Jan Di and Jun Pyo where both smiling.

'Yah, Jun Pyo, what happened in that limo.' Woo Bin winked. Jun Pyo took a step towards him and held up his fist threatening.

'Yeah, did she say "yes" then?' Yi Jung asked. His eyes twinkled. Ga Eul's mouth fell open.

'Say yes to what?' She asked quickly.

Ji Hoo who was calmly pouring a glass of water in the corner said. 'He asked her to marry him.' He took a sip of water coolly. Ga Eul let out and excited scream, and then fainted from shock, it had been a very shocking day for her all in all, and for her body that had been the last straw. Yi Jung caught her.

'Ga Eul-ah, are you okay?' He asked, shaking her carefully. She didn't respond so he took her other and lay her down on the couch. Jan Di sprung away from Jun Pyo and felt her friend's pulse.

'Yah! Why couldn't you of reacted like that.' Jun Pyo said. Yi Jung didn't look away from Ga Eul, so Woo Bin in his place gave Jun Pyo a look that said, "that is less than helpful". Ji Hoo elevated her legs, as a doctor would know how to do.

'Her pulse is fast.' Jan Di said.

'Yi Jung is here.' The other doctor said, half jokingly and half factually. Ga Eul's eyes quickly opened again. She sat back up.

'Did you say yes?' She said. Every one sighed a sigh of relief and rolled their eyes. Yi Jung chuckled slightly. He brushed Ga Eul's fringe off her forehead lightly. Normally this would of taken all of her attention, but she was focused on what was happening with her best friend.

'She hasn't said anything yet...just give me an answer! I'm dying here!' Jun Pyo moaned. Jan Di looked to the other three men.

'Didn't you guys object?' She looked at them.

'You objected?' Ga Eul shouted. She looked around in search of an answer.

'Hey,we just said they couldn't do it that easily! I give my permission, I just wanna see their kids... god those will be frightening little monsters.' Woo Bin said. Jun Pyo glared at him for a long moment, but then seemed happy he hadn't said anything else about it.

'I also give my permission, but you need to take care of our little Jan Di-ah.' Yi Jung said. Woo Bin nodded.

'I should of said that too.' Woo Bin nodded. 'And Jan Di-ah, you shouldn't kill him either, even if he does something stupid.'

'I think it's honestly more likely she'd kill him, than him killing her.' Ga Eul said in deep thought. Her mind kept shifting back to Yi Jung, who she hadn't had a chance to talk to properly about their relationship since he'd returned. Every one looked to Ji Hoo, who was the last one to say whether or not he gave his permission.

'I don't think I can object.' His tone was odd. Jun Pyo seemed happy none the less. Jan Di, who was about to say something, looked over at the kitchen. Smoke was rising from the stove. Ga Eul had the stove to start cooking and the edge of a cloth had caught fire. Jan Di screamed, and quickly went over to put it out. She smothered the flames with a damp cloth. Jun Pyo quickly rushed to her side and looked at her hands.

'Are you okay?' He asked frantically. Jan Di nodded and pulled back her hands. She then went and started preparing the kitchen again for cooking. Ga Eul came back over to do her part. Yi Jung followed on her heels, probably encase she fainted again, which was not likely, unless another proposal was announced. Ji Hoo came over too. He fished around in the cupboards until he found the necessary ingredients for pancakes. They weren't really breakfast food, but he was really losing Jan Di now, he needed some comport food.

'I'll peel the vegetables.' Woo Bin said. He took a pile and starting peeling diligently, as if he was at work filling in paperwork, this was how seriously he was taking his job.

'Oppa, you're always just peeling vegetables.' Ga Eul laughed. She stirred her pan. Yi Jung raised a slightly jealousy tinted eyebrow.

'Oppa?' He asked. His tone was light, but fasly so. Woo Bin laughed.

'Yo, bro. There are my little sisters don't you know? Baby Jan Di-ah, Baby Ga Eul-ah.' He gestured between the two girls with his knife.

'Watch where you're pointing that.' Jan Di said shaking her head. It was often she had to act as the big sister in this relationship. Jun Pyo wondered in to the living room and started looking at all the pictures. Thought he wanted to complain that there weren't that many of him, every time he was about to say this he'd find one that was. But then, all of a sudden he saw one of Ga Eul, and a man he didn't recognise. The man was young, handsome, and had his arm around Ga Eul's waist. They where both smiling.

'Yi Jung, come here.' He shouted. Yi Jung walked in to the room, wondering why his crazy friend was calling him. Jun Pyo pointed at the picture.

'Yah, I thought you'd want to know about that man.' He said in a loud whisper. He couldn't be heard from the kitchen as loud talking and laughter was flowing in there. Yi Jung frowned slightly as he looked at the picture. He moved forward and picked it up. Half of the picture had been hidden, Jan Di stood in the other half. The man's arm was also around Jan Di's waist. Jun Pyo literally growled. Yi Jung didn't look too happy either. Together they strode back in to the kitchen.

'Ga Eul, who's this man.' There was a slight hint of jealousy in Yi Jung's tone.

'Jan Di! Who is he!' Jun Pyo screamed. He was a better all around person, but Jan Di drove him crazy. Ga Eul and Jan Di looked at each other and burst out laughing. Ji Hoo and Woo Bin had craned their necks to see too, they there sniggering.

'Who is it?' Yi Jung asked again.

Neither Ga Eul or Jan Di could respond for a minute or two while they calmed down. Then, finally Ga Eul who had calmed down slightly quicker managed to get her words out.

'Geum Kang San. Jan Di's little brother.' Ga Eul said.

'Mum took it a few weeks ago, on his birthday. You even sent him a present.' Jan Di laughed at Jun Pyo.

'Oh yeah. A new laptop...did he like it?' Jun Pyo said.

'You should know, I know you've got him spying on me...and you didn't know who he was in the picture.' Jan Di shook her head as she finished her cooking.

'We only talk over mobile.' Jun Pyo didn't lie about the fact he had been getting Kang San to spy on Jan Di.

'Dinner's nearly ready, can some one set the table?' Ga Eul asked. Yi Jung immediately got to work, and pulled Jun Pyo with him to help. The doorbell rung.

'Who else has a key to get up this far?' Yi Jung asked curiously.

'My parents have a spare, Ga Eul's parents have a spare, Jun Hee-Unnie has one and Jae Kyung-Unnie has one.' Jan Di said.

'The Monkey has a key?' Jun Pyo said to himself.

'It could be any of them as we trained Jae Kyung to use the doorbell.' Ga Eul said. 'Come in!' She shouted as an after thought. Jae Kyung came running in.

'Yah, yah, yah! Are you proud? I rung the door!' She said sliding to a halt. 'Oh! Yi Jung, Jun Pyo! When did they get back? Why wasn't I called? Are you all eating with out me?' She pouted after her quick paced ramble.

'Oh, Unnie, sorry. We forgot.'Jan Di said. Jae Kyung shrugged it off.

'As long as there's enough food.' She said, plunking herself down at the table. Jan Di, Ga Eul and Ji Hoo quickly brought everything over to the table. Once all the drinks where poured they sat down. Every one had a big appetite and dug in quickly. Food was quickly being passed around. Jun Pyo was fighting a loosing battle to be the only one allowed to eat the egg rolls. Woo Bin started laughing. All eyes turned to him in a questioning glance.

'Jan Di still hasn't given an answer.' He laughed. Yi Jung joined him in laughter. Jae Kyung looked around quickly.

'What question?' She demanded.

Ga Eul swallowed what she was eating to tell her. 'Jun Pyo asked her to marry him.'

'Wah? And you haven't given an answer yet? I stopped my wedding for you guys!' She said loudly. It seemed today was not a day for inside voices.

'Jan Di-ah, just reply.' Ga Eul said.

'Yeah reply!' Jun Pyo said loudly.

'I wanna watch this unfold.' Woo Bin said. Jan Di screamed and stood up.

'Okay! Okay! I say yes! Is that okay with you people? Goodness...' She screamed out. Everything paused for a moment. Time was meaningless. Ga Eul gasped. Ji Hoo looked emotionless around the eyes but put on a little smile. Woo Bin cheered. Jae Kyung screamed. Yi Jung clapped and wished congratulations, Jun Pyo sat very still. It didn't seem to dawn on him what had happened. It processed through his mind slowly, and then it hit him. She had said yes.

Like a string of old Christmas lights the reaction spread from ear to ear. He jumped up. He grabbed the sides of Jan Di's face and pulled her in for a kiss. They kissed quickly as they had an audience. He quickly shoved the ring on to her finger. It was the most beautiful ring she had ever seen. Also in the box was a man's engagement ring, which she put on him too. They smiled at each other for a second. They world was good right now, the world was good.