Fast Food Fortunes

Four Years Past: Will The Flames Still Burn Bright?

With Ga Eul just passing the nine month marks of her pregnancy, meaning she was officially over due, every one was on high alert. Yi Jung's exhibit meant thousands of people where flocking to the museum. Things where good in the So house hold.

Woo Bin was having good and bad days. He had been on hundreds of dates in the past months, and found no one he liked enough to go on a second date with.

In the Goo household things where hectic. Jun Pyo had continued with randomly taking the babies in to work. It was normally Jin Ae he took. She was the only one who didn't mind being in that environment for that long. She was a loud baby, but not bad. Jan Di was brushing up on her medical knowledge as she hoped to soon return to work. Recently she had made a new friend in the form of Hyo Joo, who brightened up, the big empty Goo Mansion when Jun Pyo wasn't home. Hyo Joo also seemed more than happy to tell Jan Di more and more information about her speciality, which was of course children's medicine.

With all the clinics open, Ji Hoo was crazily busy, driving from place to place to make sure they where all working well. Hyo Joo's clinic was the one he visited most often. He just found himself drawn to it. He wasn't sure if it was because he was worried or interested. But it was mostly a mix of both. He still wasn't sure about Hyo Joo. Some times she seemed painfully childish, and some times she was very sophisticated. Ji Hoo was intrigued about why she was hiding behind false cheery childish behaviour. Hyo Joo wasn't the clinic's only doctor, but she worked the day shift. On the night shift was doctor Kim Ki Jung. He was a good doctor. But as much as it pained Ji Hoo to admit it, Hyo Joo was much better. When he turned up at the clinic on the cold winter's evening he found busy waiting room. Although it was well organised. Hyo Joo was working quickly, and she had seen nearly every one in the waiting room in around half an hour. It was then she noticed Ji Hoo.

'Boss!' She said in a surprised tone. It took her a second to recover from the shock, and then she put on her cheerful façade.

'Who are you Lee Hyo Joo?' Ji Hoo said seriously. Hyo Joo stuck out her tongue.

Shortly after Hyo Joo's shift ended, she took off her doctor's coat, and left the building. Outside it was chilly, she wrapped her winter coat around her tighter. She began walking down the path that lead away from the hospital.

'Miss Hyo Joo.' Ji Hoo's voice. Hyo Joo turned around quickly. He was leaning on the side of clinic. His arms where folded across his chest.

'Yes, Boss?' She said.

'Lets go to dinner. I want to talk with you.' He said, walking towards her. Hyo Joo gulped nervously.

'I was just going to go to a fast food chain.' She said.

'Doesn't matter. Lets go there.' Ji Hoo announced. He started walking, then stopped and glanced behind him to see if Hyo Joo was coming. It seemed she was so he kept walking. There was a burger joint across the street from the clinic. They walked in, and went up to the counter. Both of them ordered burgers and fries, and then went to sit down at a small, slightly dirty table. Both of them started eating in silence.

'I read your file.' Ji Hoo announced. Hyo Joo looked at him. She dropped her cheerful act slightly.

'I guessed you would.' She replied. Ji Hoo looked at her while eating a chip.

'We're both orphans.' He said.

'But you've got your grandfather.' Hyo Joo said. Ji Hoo looked at her. He looked slightly surprised, but not too so.

'I searched you on the internet.' She explained. 'The results where interesting. Did you know there's a crazy girl offering a large sum of money for shirtless pictures of you?' She said calmly. Ji Hoo started choking on his food. Hyo Joo laughed a little. Ji Hoo's face turned serious again.

'How did they die?' Ji Hoo asked in a way that only some one who had been through the same thing could.

'Car crash.' Hyo Joo replied. Ji Hoo's eyes widened. 'Same as you right?' She asked. Ji Hoo didn't reply. He knew she knew the answer to that question.

'You've only signed the contract for the next six months.' Ji Hoo spoke out. Hyo Joo took a bite out her burger.

'That's right.' She replied.

'Why?' Ji Hoo asked.

'Fortune tellers always tell me I'm going to die nine months after I turn twenty four, and that's in six months. I don't want to brake promises such as long term contracts because of death. But don't worry, if I live, I'll sign another one.' She replied. She had put back on her cheerful voice.

'You're that suspicious?' Ji Hoo asked her. She truly confused him.

'Yep.' She replied. She continued with her meal. She looked up from her food suddenly, making awkward eye contact with Ji Hoo. 'Why? Do you want to do on a date before I die?'

Ji Hoo widened his eyes. Then he regained his composure.

'If you pay, a free meal is always good.' Ji Hoo chuckled. He felt warm inside, he wasn't sure why. But he wanted to find out.

'I'm free tomorrow.' Hyo Joo. Ji Hoo looked away and smiled, he then turned back his head.

'Do you think I don't know that? I'm your boss. I know when you work.' He joked. Hyo Joo laughed, and for once, she didn't feel like she was faking it.