Scream

Four Years Past: Will The Flames Still Burn Bright?

A few days after the blissful wedding of Ga Eul and Yi Jung, Jan Di and Woo Bin found themselves very board, and in the Goo Mansion.

Yi Jung and Ga Eul where in Paris for their honeymoon, and they would be for the next two weeks. Ji Hoo was in London looking for doctors for his clinics and Jun Pyo was in America on business.

This only left Jan Di with Woo Bin who had been told to watch her. With nothing much else to do they had found themselves playing on Jun Pyo's racing car game together. They where neck and neck before Jan Di suddenly screamed. Woo Bin dropped his controlled and looked to her quickly. The doctor that Jun Pyo had hired ran over to her too. They quickly listened to Jan Di's heartbeat, and then they looked at the floor, which was wet.

'She's gone in to labour... it's too early, she's only at five months. We need to get her to the hospital!' The doctor shouted, they quickly pulled their phone out and dialled an ambulance. Woo Bin fell to his knees next to Jan Di who was half sat up against the wall.

'Oppa..' She moaned.

'What is it?' Woo Bin asked urgently.

'Phone Jun Pyo...I'm scared.' She said and then her eyes closed. The doctor jumped a little and then checked her pulse again.

'Maid! Bring me some sugar water.' The doctor shouted loudly. Woo Bin got up and pulled out his phone his fingers where shaking as her pressed the numbers on his phone. He dialled Jun Pyo's number. It seemed like forever before his friend picked up his phone.

'Yah, I was in a meeting, this better be urgent.' Jun Pyo said in an annoyed tone.

'Jan Di's gone in to labour!' Woo Bin practically shouted down the phone. He heard the phone on the other side of the line being dropped. It was then picked up again. The sound of running came through the phone.

'Tell her to be brave, I'm coming, wait for me.' Jun Pyo said down the phone, and then the line went dead. Woo Bin turned around and the doctor was pouring the sugar water down Jan Di's throat. Jan Di's eyes scared eyes fluttered open. Her heart was beating like crazy. The ambulance men burst in and strapped her to a stretcher. She was suddenly wheeled in to the ambulance, and it drove off quickly. She lay very still. She was terrified, but she tried to control her breathing to keep herself calm. She wanted her idiot, but he was a eleven hour plane ride away. She felt a hand her hair in a brotherly way. It was Woo Bin, her protector would always have her back. They arrived at the hospital in what felt like no time at all. Doctors swarmed her like bees to honey. Her heart raced.

'Miss we're giving you medicine to try and stop you giving birth now. At the least it will slow it.' One of the doctors told her. She nodded and squirmed as another wave of pain rushed through her.

Meanwhile, in Paris Ga Eul and Yi Jung had been having the time of their lives. Long nights with much...excise meant long mornings in bed in their luxurious hotel. Because of their long morning, they had missed breakfast, but they where more than making up for it by having lunch at the Effile tower.

'Jaygia, we could of gone some where fancier.' Yi Jung told her.

'What's fancier than the Effile Tower?' She exclaimed. Yi Jung chuckled.

'My darling Country Bumpkin.' He leaned forwards, they kissed briefly over the table, but where interrupted by Ga Eul's phone ringing. She pulled back and blushed.

'I thought we agreed no phones?' Yi Jung asked raising one eyebrow.

'No one's going to call me unless it's an emergency. Look it's Woo Bin-Oppa.' She pointed to the screen. Yi Jung took the phone out her hand.

'It's probably something like he can't use the washing machine.' He laughed, answering the phone for Ga Eul who continued eating happily. 'Calm down. What's happing? We'll be back as soon as possible.' He said quickly. Ga Eul looked up and looked worried.

'What's happening?' She asked anxiously.

'Jan Di went in to labour, but they've stopped it for now, they think. But I think we should go back. We'll come back to Paris if she's okay.' Yi Jung said. Ga Eul nodded, she had already stood up and was walking out.

'Who's with her?' She asked worriedly.

'Just Woo Bin. Jun Pyo's trying to get back, and so is Ji Hoo.'

Hours and hours passed as Jan Di and Woo Bin waited in hospital. She tried to be calm, the pain was lessening. Endless card games where played, and Woo Bin talked to fill the horrible hospital sounds.

Eight hours after it started, and Jan Di screamed again. Nurses and doctors came rushing in.

'We need to take her in for an emergency c-section.' They said. Jan Di suddenly felt very small in a very big world. Like Alice in Wonderland, washed away in her own tears. Then suddenly Jun Pyo appeared. She blinked, thinking it was an illusion, but then he stepped forwards and hugged her tightly.

'It's okay, you're strong.' He told her. She buried her face in his shoulder. Tears that she could no longer hide trickled out.

'How did you get back so quick?' She asked. That was all she could say right now. She wasn't in the mood for serious topics.

'I'm the great Goo Jun Pyo, that's how.' He laughed, blinking away scared tears. 'I took a military jet.' He elaborated. 'I love you, Geum Jan Di.' He said, and then it all went black, as her anaesthetic kicked in. She was wheeled out of the room, and Jun Pyo and Woo Bin went running after her, then, they where stopped outside the surgery door.

'The father can come in. But only the father.' They said. Jun Pyo stepped forwards quickly.

'Be strong.' Woo Bin told him. Jun Pyo nodded and went straight in to the room. He was made to wash his hands until they went numb, and put on scrubs over his clothes, but he didn't care. He just wanted to stand next to Jan Di. He only looked at her pretty passed out face as they sliced her open. Then, a nurse spoke the words. 'Sir. You should look, your children are about to be brought in to the world.'

He turned his head, feeling his heart stop. He went numb all over. From behind the cloth covering Jan Di, immerged a baby. A very small baby. It wailed, breaking the stone that had frozen Jun Pyo.

'First one's a boy!' The doctor called rushing it over to the side. Jun Pyo grabbed Jan Di's cold hand tightly. He remembered back to their conversation about names. First boy. Goo Jae Sun. He thought. My son. My precious boy. Then, it happened again. Another small baby emerged.

'Another boy!' Another doctor rushed it to the side.

Jun Pyo felt like his heart was going to burst. Second boy. Goo Jae Hwa. Mine. My second precious boy. Jan Di's, mine. Ours.

'This one's got the cord around her neck! Be careful.' He heard some one say. Now it felt like his heart was going to shatter. His third precious baby, was not okay. Then,suddenly, they pulled it out. Another baby. This one was much smaller than the other two, much smaller. It wasn't wailing either, it's lips where blue.

'It's a girl, it needs oxygen now!' This was shouted. The baby girl was placed straight in to a ventilator. A machine. First baby girl. Goo Jin Ae. Sick baby. Darling daughter. His only daughter. She was not well. It wouldn't sink in to his mind. A few surgeons stayed to sew back up his wife. He craned his head to try and see what was happening with his precious babies. But he couldn't see them, there where too many people in the way, and he couldn't let go of Jan Di's hand. Then, the babies where suddenly all taken out of the room, with the mob of doctors.

'Where are they taking them?' Jun Pyo demanded.

'To the baby ward to put them in ventilators. They're very premature, Sir. You can follow, your wife is perfectly stable. She's very strong.'

Jun Pyo looked down at his wife. He kissed her forhead. 'I'm going to look after our babies. I'll be back.' He whispered to her. He then ran out of the room, and followed the trail of doctors. Woo Bin spotted him and ran with him.

'What's happening?' Woo Bin asked. Jun Pyo didn't reply. Then he stopped suddenly outside a room. A private room had been set up for the triplets. Inside each small child lay in a ventilator. The first two babies had a doctor each looking at them, but the last had four. Jun Pyo froze in the door way. Woo Bin looked over his shoulder. He gasped slightly with out being able to stop himself.

'Are the babies in there? Your kids?' Woo Bin asked. Jun Pyo nodded slowly. Woo Bin looked behind them. 'We're in the way we have to go in.' He said. His friend didn't move, so Woo Bin pushed him slightly in to the room. They stood out of the way in the corner, watching the babies carefully. A nurse walked up to Jun Pyo.

'Sir, you may go and see the boys now. They're some of the healthiest premature babies we've ever seen. But you'll need to carefully wash your hands first.' She said. Jun Pyo smiled slightly in a proud manner, of course they where strong, they where his boys. Geum Jan Di's children too. But then his smile disappeared as he heard no mention of the last child. The precious baby girl.

'How about the third?' He demanded. The nurse looked at her feet, and then back over to where the doctors where standing around the last ventilator.

'The girl is much smaller, and she wasn't able to breath until we resuscitated her. We're trying to stabilise her now. But sir, you've got two other babies who need interaction.' She said. Jun Pyo wanted to kick something, but he didn't want to risk the babies. He wanted to cry, but he had to be strong. He nodded, stepping over to the sink. He washed his hand with the up most care, and then he walked over to the incubator. The baby was tiny and reddish. But it had a lot of hair for a new born. A small oxygen pipe went in to it's nose, and it had a heart monitor attached to it. It wriggled, and kicked its legs. Jun Pyo carefully stuck his hand through the side of the incubator. He very carefully the baby's soft hair.

'Woah. It's got your hair.' Woo Bin said looking in through the side. Jun Pyo grinned.

'I know, handsome devil, right?' He sniffed away the tears that had been welling up in his eyes.

'Is Jan Di okay?' Woo Bin asked extremely nervously.

'It's Geum Jan Di. Of course she's fine. She's recovering from surgery now, I'll go see her when she wakes up.' Jun Pyo replied. Woo Bin let out a sigh of relief.

'What's this baby called?' Woo Bin asked, remembering back to the naming conversation they had had a few months back.

'Goo Jae Sun.' Jun Pyo smiled slightly, and pulled out each syllable.

'Woah. I did not really think about the babies when we where talking that day... I know that seems weird but...' Woo Bin trailed off. He smiled at his nephew, and then turned around to the next incubator. 'It's like I'm seeing double.' He chuckled. Jun Pyo the baby's hair once more before pulling out his hand and walking out to the next incubator.

'No, this baby's slightly different. It's not got as much hair.' Jun Pyo said. Woo Bin chuckled.

'You'd have to be looking real carefully to see the difference.' Woo Bin laughed.

'Yah, look well at my amazing children.' Jun Pyo pushed him lightly. Woo Bin rolled his eyes.

'It that one's Jae Sun this is...Jae...?'

'Hwa. This one's Jae Hwa.' Jun Pyo said. He repeated what he had done with the last baby, sticking his hand through the glass and the baby's soft hair. Woo Bin turned around to the last ventilator. There where still doctors around it. He wanted to ask, but didn't want to ask his friend. But Jun Pyo saw him looking, and took his hands out of the second ventilator to go stand in front of the third. Suddenly the doctors dispersed.

'What's happening?' Jun Pyo asked quickly.

'We think she's stable, but we need to get a heart scan. We're going to organise one. We'll be back in about fifteen minutes.'

Jun Pyo lost his balance, but his friend grabbed him and steadied him. 'Listen, do what ever it takes to make my child well.' He said. The doctor nodded quickly and then almost ran out, leaving Jun Pyo and Woo Bin in a room of beeping machines and three babies. Jun Pyo slowly and shakily walked to the last ventilator. The baby inside was so small. She had so a many tubes going in and out of her. But her eyes where wide open. Boldly staring in to the big world.

'Woah, she's really pretty.' Woo Bin said staring in. See these babies it was the first time in months he wasn't thinking of Jae Kyung at all.

'I know.' Jun Pyo said proudly. He was nervous to touch the baby. He didn't want to displace anything. But he carefully put in his hand anyway, and her head.

'Goo Jin Ae?' Woo Bin asked. Jun Pyo nodded.

'Goo Jae Sun, Goo Jae Hwa, Goo Jin Ae.' Jun Pyo said. Woo Bin smiled at his friend.

A nurse walked in.

'Sir, your wife is waking up.' She said.

'Okay... wait. This is their uncle so you can't make him leave this room.' Jun Pyo pointed to Woo Bin who looked slightly shocked. The nurse nodded. She pulled out a pen.

'His name?' She asked.

'Song Woo Bin.' Jun Pyo turned around quickly to his friend. There was a desperate look in his eyes.

'Look after them... I'm trusting you. I'll be back.' He said quickly running back. Woo Bin looked at the babies wide eyed as the nurse left the room too.

'Well I guess it's you and me, Goo Triplets. Let me tell you some stories about your mummy and daddy.'

Jun Pyo ran in to Jan Di's room that was down the corridor from the babies' room. She was just waking up. He ran over to her bed just as her eyes fluttered open.

'The babies?' She asked. Jun Pyo chuckled.

'Two boys and a girl. Jae Sun, Jae Hwa, Jin Ae. The boys are really strong. The doctors are working on the girl, but she's really pretty.' He said. He didn't want to be the bearer of bad news, but he knew it would be worse if she didn't know. Jan Di tried to sit up in bed. But, she couldn't because of her surgery. Jun Pyo stopped her too.

'Where are they?' She asked.

'Down the corridor, Woo Bin's with them.' Jun Pyo said.

'I want to see them.' Jan Di said. Jun Pyo chuckled.

'You'll see them soon.'

'What's wrong with Jin Ae? What's wrong with my daughter?' She asked. Her face was over run with emotions.

'The cord was wrapped around her neck so she couldn't breathe, but they fixed that problem, but... they need to give her a heart scan.' Jun Pyo took a deep breath in. Jan Di took a deep breath in. They pressed their foreheads together, both of them felt so lost.

'Go and look after our children.' Jan Di said. Jun Pyo opened his eyes.

'What about you?'

'Just go.' She ordered.

'I love you a lot.' He said before racing out. He ran straight in to Woo Bin.

'They've taken her for a heart scan.' He said quickly. Jun Pyo nodded.

'You go back and watch the other babies.' Jun Pyo ordered. Woo Bin nodded and went running back. Jun Pyo went running after the doctors who where wheeling away his daughter. He was allowed in the scanning room when they got there as long as he put on a lead apron. He put one on and waited. The doctors behind the glass in a side room suddenly jumped up and ran in.

'We need to take her to surgery now.' They said. Jun Pyo's eyes widened. Every paused, and then it started again much too fast. Jin Ae was wheeled out of the room, and Jun Pyo went running after her.

'Oppa!' Some one shouted as they went through the corridors. He almost didn't hear. But then her turned around. Ga Eul, Yi Jung, Ji Hoo, they where all here.

'What's happening?'Ji Hoo asked.

'Ga Eul, Yi Jung just go to Jan Di's room, she's alone... ask your way, she'll explain... Ji Hoo come with me.' He said quickly, then he started running again. Ji Hoo ran with him. He looked very worried.

'What's happening?' He asked. They where told to stop outside the surgery room. They where allowed half in in the form they had to stand behind a glass window, but they could still watch. Jun Pyo quickly told Ji Hoo every thing that was happening.

'So stay and see if they're doing every thing they can. You're a doctor.' He said to his friend. Ji Hoo nodded. He looked closely though the window.

They waited. They stood and waited. It seemed like it was taking forever. Then a beeping started.

'What's happening?' Jun Pyo demanded. Ji Hoo's eyes where wide.

'Her heart stopped.' He said. Jun Pyo stepped forwards. He grasped at the glass. He didn't know what to do, as his daughter died. For a long minute, where every second felt like an hour, her heart was gone. Then, just as they where about to pull the blanket over her head, and announce her as dead, the machine fired up again. Jun Pyo was sat on the floor, unable to watch.

'Jun Pyo!' Ji Hoo said. 'Her heart's beating!' He shouted. Jun Pyo stumbled to his feet and watched as they sewed the baby back up. They wrapped her in a bandage, and then a doctor walked in to the glass room. The doctor was smiling.

'Surgery went well. A lot better than we expected. We think she's going to be okay.'