Tales Of The Night Before

Four Years Past: Will The Flames Still Burn Bright?

'Yah, don't fall!' Yi Jung shouted to Ga Eul. It was the day after the wedding, and although she had not moved any of her things yet, she had slept in the guest room last night. Yi Jung had gone out to see Ji Hoo, and had returned to find Ga Eul (who had been lying in bed all day with a killer hang over) up a ladder, with a drill.

'I'm fine!' She replied, continuing what she was doing.

'Jaygia, get down.' He told her. She continued drilling. Once she had put the screw in place, she lent over the side of the ladder, to reach a picture frame, which she then put up. The picture was one they had taken together, just before he'd left over four years ago. She stepped back to admire her handiwork, of course forgetting there was no where to step back. Yi Jung caught her smoothly.

'What did I tell you?' He said demandingly. 'What if you had fallen while I wasn't here?'

'I would have been fine, it's not that high!' She retorted.

'You're banned from the ladder.' He said firmly. Ga Eul mimicked his tone when she thought he was looking at the picture rather than her. He wasn't. Luckily for her he just chuckled. 'You smell like alcohol.' He informed her. She jumped down out of his arms. She was still wearing yesterday's bridesmaid dress.

'What even happened last night?' She asked. She squinted her eyes, but she still could not remember anything past Yi Jung meeting her parents. 'You met my parents!' She shouted out with out meaning to.'

Yi Jung chuckled.

'Yes. They liked me. Unfortunate you decided the whole thing was too embarrassing so you walked off to get a drink, and didn't come back.'

Ga Eul grimaced. 'What happened?' She asked. Yi Jung smiled a little.

'Jae Kyung started giving you cocktails, and you didn't realise how strong they where. Then, your best friend the bride came over in the brief five seconds she spent away from her new husband, and you two both had tearful goodbye cocktails. This was all in the time I was still talking to your parents. I heard a lot of good stories about your childhood by the way. You and Jan Di got in to trouble a lot.'

Ga Eul's ears burnt a bright red. 'Then what happened?' She asked fearfully. Yi Jung laughed.

'Well, then Jun Pyo came over, because it was time for him and Jan Di to leave for their honeymoon. You started crying, and so did Jan Di. But once the two of them left, it was just you and Jae Kyung again. You had another round of cocktails, and then Woo Bin and Ji Hoo came over. They, had had quiet a bit to drink too, thought not as much as you did. For some reason then the four of you decided it was a good time to go in to one of the side rooms and hold a karaoke game. Now at this point I excused myself for your parents to go find you, and let me tell you I was quiet amused at your rendition of Gee, though let me tell you you might want to work on that dance routine. You passed out not too long after than, and I carried you back to the car, and drove you back here, dropping off a few of our other drunk friends on the way.' He chuckled at his girl friend's reddening face.

'I think I'm just going to go hide now...possibly forever.' Ga Eul said. Yi Jung laughed, and grabbed her wrist as she tried to walk away.

'How about rather than running away, you go and shower, put on some of my clothes, and then we can go get your stuff from your old apartment?' He chuckled. Ga Eul nodded and disappeared upstairs. Yi Jung laughed. As she shut the door the picture frame fell down off the wall. Yi Jung caught it and rolled his eyes. Life was certainly more eventful with her around. He picked up the drill and put it back up. He then looked at the rest of the photos she had stacked neatly to go on the wall. There where hundreds. He rolled his eyes and started putting more of them up. They didn't all fit together neatly, but instead left an odd pattern of frames on the wall. Yi Jung worked quickly, and by the time he had got around half of them up, Ga Eul came back down stairs. Her wet hair was tied up. She wore one of his shirts, and a pair of long denim shorts she had found at the back of his wardrobe. She didn't look too bad at all.

'Will all your stuff fit in to my car?' Yi Jung asked her. She nodded.

'I've only got a few boxes. I'm leaving most of the stuff.' She said. He smiled and nodded, walking out the door, leaving her to run after him. When she got to the door, she realised she had no shoes, apart from the yellow high heels that she had no desire to put back on. Yi Jung turned around and noticed this. He bent over so he could piggyback her. She smiled and climbed on. He carefully carried her to the car, and then back out of the car, once they arrived outside her apartment block. There where no reporters, probably because they where all tired from trying to sneak in to the wedding the night before. He piggybacked her in to the elevator, and only put her down once they got in to the actual apartment. Her boxes where already packed, so it was just a matter of carrying them. Once she put on a pair of trainers she helped carrying them down. She had five boxes in total, which took just two trips down stairs to load in to the car. Ga Eul sighed as she locked her apartment for the last time. She put her hand on the door. The long nights of drama watching, the late morning cartoons, the tears as those four years dragged forever, the joy of a new job, an engagement, there where so many memories attached to the apartment. But, she took a deep breath and turned away. Behind her soon Yi Jung, patiently waiting for her to be done. With out thinking she ran forwards in to his arms and hugged him tightly. He didn't question what she was doing, he just hugged her back.

'Lets go back home, okay?' He said. Ga Eul nodded.

'To our home.' She said.

'Our home.' He repeated.

On the other side of the world, was Jan Di and Jun Pyo. For their honeymoon they had gone to Thailand, and to a very exclusive and beautiful resort. On the white sheets of a big bed, it was perfectly serene. The sleeping lovers where exempt from the rest of the world, and yet to feel any "the morning after" awkwardness. It was Jun Pyo who woke up first. For a long moment he thought he was in a dream. With his soul mate sleeping blissfully next to him, how could this be real. But then, he noticed her small hands which she resting under her head. On them was a sparkling wedding ring. Once that matched the one on his own hand. He smiled to himself and rolled over. His hand lifted up to her face, and pushed back her fringe. Her eyes fluttered open and she looked back at him. Both of them felt safe under love's gaze. He smiled first, and then she smiled back. Then, a wave of embarrassment struck her and she hid her face playfully under part of the covers.

As little while after this and they sat on the balcony of their room, both of them wrapped in dressing gowns. Jan Di shovelled the food in to quickly. She had been too nervous to eat yesterday, and that had caught up with her massively.

'Slow down you'll choke!' Jun Pyo told her. His forhead wrinkled. 'Aish. I don't want a dead wife!'

Jan Di stopped eating and smiled to herself. Wife sounded weird, but good weird.

'Husband, shut up.' She replied and continued with her food.

'I'll divorce you.' Jun Pyo said playfully. He kicked her under the table.

'You wont.' Jan Di replied, she kicked back and continued her eating.

'No I wont... but I wont let you in my house.' Jun Pyo said smugly.

'I technically own half of that house.' Jan Di held up her wedding ring as she continued to shovel food in to .

'Well I wont let you in my half.' Jun Pyo countered. Jan Di laughed.

'And how do you plan to keep me out?' She asked raising her eyebrows. Jun Pyo laughed.

'I don't know.' He admitted. Jan Di laughed.

'I need to bring my stuff over to your house.' Jan Di said. Jun Pyo swallowed what he was drinking and shook his head.

'You don't. Ga Eul said she'd bring the things over and unpack it in a way you'd like before we got back. And my parents should be leaving for retirement today, so the house is all ours.' Jun Pyo said. Jan Di smiled.

'I can't believe I'm going to be living in a house like that.' Jan Di said. Jun Pyo shrugged.

'Well you are and I wont let you escape either.' Jun Pyo said. He held up his ring hand. Jan Di held up hers too, and over the table they held hands.

'Do you remember the day at the beach? Before you ran off? Lets do that today, apart from this time there's no way I'm letting you even take a step away from me.' Jun Pyo said. Jan Di smiled and nodded. They stood up from the table and went to get dressed. Both of them safe in the knowledge they had each other, and nothing was going to change that.