A SoEulful Time, Part 1

Four Years Past: Will The Flames Still Burn Bright?

At the most secure rooftop room in the city, the morning light illuminated the small bedroom where two women slept on two small beds. One of them, was still in a deep trance. A smile played on her face, and as the ring on her finger caught the light, it woke the other girl up.

The now awakened Chu Ga Eul rubbed her blinded bleary eyes. She was going to have to get a curtain for that ring, she was sure. Her friend was still snoring, but she didn't want to wake her. She had had a far busier day yesterday than Ga Eul had, and it was also the weekend. Yi Jung had left last night after the meal when every one else had, which was fine, and yesterday had been a truly great day, but nothing had been talked about.

Checking the time on her alarm clock she realised it was later than she thought. She stumbled through the house, and shoved on a pair of flip flops. She grabbed her keys before starting on the journey down stairs to the postbox. Still wearing her pyjamas she exited the elevator on the ground floor. She unlocked the post box that belonged to herself and Jan Di.

'Bill, bill, bill, bill, coupons off raymen, take away menu... ooh! Pay check!' She looked through the mail, and smiled to herself as she ripped the last envelope open.

'Sweetie, would there be a reason that you're standing in the entrance of your building wearing pyjamas?' A voice said out of no where. Ga Eul spun around. She jumped backwards slightly in shock, nearly dropping her mail.

'Oppa...' She turned red looking down at her clothes. Then she remembered that was the least of her problems. The bird's nest on her head was a far bigger one. She dropped her mail with out thinking as her hands sprung to her hair. Yi Jung smiled in his charismatic way. Her crouched down and carefully picked up the mail. He glanced at the open one.

'Ga Eul became a big earner...wow.' He smiled handing back the mail to the worrying girl.

'What brings you here so early?' She asked. She held the post in one hand and tried to smooth the horrific hair with the other. He chuckled lightly.

'You.' He paused. 'Shall we go upstairs, is Jan Di awake?' He asked looked around.

'She's not awake, but she'll sleep though anything.' Ga Eul prayed to herself that the apartment was some what clean, she really hadn't looked as she had left. They both reached for the elevator button at the same time. The warm edges of their fingers brushed together. Ga Eul quickly pulled her fingers away. Yi Jung looked at her and laughed again. A ding sounded as the elevator doors opened. They both got in. Ga Eul didn't know where to look. She just kept glancing around in the hope he wasn't looking at her in her morning state of ugliness. Of course, he was looking out of the corner of his eyes. He smiled to himself and rolled his eyes. Oh the beauty she did not see herself. The elevator arrived and the top step, and as fast as she could she opened the locks.

Once they got in to the apartment, Jan Di's snores where a clear sign she had still not awoken.

'Um...have you eaten? Do you want me to make you something?' Ga Eul offered. She nervously glanced down at her appearance again. This did not go unnoticed by Yi Jung.

'Go get washed and dressed, I'll wait.' He said, sitting himself down on the couch. Ga Eul looked around at her normally almost clean living room, there where still plates, streamers and other assorted party items from the night before littering everywhere. Yi Jung had had to move some out the way to get a seat. She turned red in the shame her house was bringing her.

'It's not normally this messy...I'll clean it up first.' She said, trying to gather up rouge items.

'Ga Eul-ah, just go get dressed. I've been waiting since 6 am to take you out today.' Yi Jung said.

'Y-you have?' She asked in mild shock. He nodded her head, and held up his hands in a shooing motion.

'Go get ready.' He told her. 'I'll be waiting.'

'O-okay...the t.v remote is there if you want to watch that.' She said pointing. As she walked towards her bedroom which the bathroom was an unsuite to she glimpsed over her shoulder at Yi Jung, who was looking over his as she walked away. Embarrassed she hurried up and closed the door quickly behind her, and then went through the room, passing the slumbering Jan Di in to the bathroom. Ga Eul showered as quickly as possible like she did everyday so she didn't use up all the hot water. She then did something she didn't normally do, which was carefully blow dry out all her hair until it lay flat. She then put on some bb cream, some lip gloss and the tiniest hint of eye liner, she had wanted to look good for Yi Jung, and use more, but this was all that she owned. Once she was done she entered her bedroom again, Jan Di was no longer in there so she had it all to herself. Carefully after a lot of stress she pulled out a white summer dress. She had brought it on sale with her first ever pay check from the job which she loved. That had been a while ago, but she had never worn it...she had been saving it for a special occasion. She pulled out a fluffy light blue shawl to wear over it. As for shoes she wore a pair of white lace up high heels. Those where her faveriot, and had brought her much luck, something she felt she needed today. She creaked open her bedroom door to see what Yi Jung was doing. Some one had tidied up, the living room was now spotless. Jan Di and Yi Jung where both sat on the floor. Together the where watching cartoons and laughing. A smile crept on to Ga Eul's face at this adorable sight. She quietly stepped towards them, wanting to observe some more of their friendship. Jan Di had a lot of stress, it was nice to see her so happy again and Yi Jung...well she hadn't seen him this relaxed in a long time. The looked like a young brother and sister on a Saturday morning. They didn't hear her step closer, but the doorbell rung so both of them looked around. Ga Eul who had also turned around didn't see how Yi Jung's face light up as she saw her in all her glory. Jan Di did, which made her smile too.

'I'll get it.' Ga Eul said, as she was both the closet to the door, and the only owner of the house who was dressed for the day. She opened it and behind it stood none other than Gu Jun Pyo.

'Sunba-' She stopped herself. After some clear jealousy of Yi Jung's brother sister relationship with Jan Di, she had been told by him that she should call him "Oppa" too. This felt extremely weird, but she realised it was a good way to stop her best friend's boyfriend's illogical jealousy.

'Oppa, what brings you here?' She asked. Then she decided to re-phrase her question. 'How did you get this far in to our house...you don't have a key, you don't know the codes, and you're not on the thumb print scanner.'

'Ga Eul-ah, he brought the scanner, and I bet he tricked some one in to giving him the rest.' Yi Jung said from very close behind her.

'Of course I did, I'm the great Gu Jun Pyo! But yah! Why are you in my fiancée's apartment?' He demanded to Yi Jung.

'Ga Eul-ah lives here too.' Yi Jung pointed out calmly. Jun Pyo nodded.

'Be good to my little sister Ga Eul.' He said, pushing his way in to the apartment. Ga Eul rolled her eyes. She too had been pulled in to the crazy world of Gu Jun Pyo.

'Where's Jan Di?' He asked looking around.

'She just ran away to hide in her bedroom to get dressed.' Yi Jung said.

'She was in her pyjamas.' Ga Eul finished after Jun Pyo gave a confused look. He looked to the t.v and started laughing at the cartoon.

'Yah, this is funny.' Jun Pyo said, sitting down with out being invited.

'Just watch that then, Ga Eul and I are going out now. Be good to Jan Di today.' Yi Jung said. Jun Pyo turned around briefly.

'Be good to my little sister too!' He demanded before turning back to the t.v, and laughing like a small child. Yi Jung rolled his eyes at his crazy friend. Before Jun Pyo could do anything weirder, Yi Jung had grabbed Ga Eul's hand and was pulling her through the apartment door. She only just managed to grab her bag on the way out. Her heartbeat sped up as his large hands, that had been roughened through the pottery clay encompassed her small ones. The doors opened easily on the way out, so they where out of the apartment block quickly. Yi Jung's orange sports car sat outside the building.

'You still have the same one.' She said. Looking at it and remembering all the past times she had ridden in that car. She brushed the paintwork.

'Mmm. I need to get a new one, do you want to help me choose?'He said as he opened the passenger side door for her to get in. She muttered a small "thank you" as she sat down. He closed the car door and walked around the front of the car to sit down himself.

'But this one reminds me of such good memories.' She blushed softly at her own words. He looked at her.

'It does. Do you want it?' He offered. Ga Eul's mouth dropped open.

'You don't just give people sports cars.' She said. He chuckled.

'You're not people you're Ga Eul.' He smile. She looked away.

'Do I even look like the kind of person who would drive a sports car?' She asked. He laughed again.

'You still haven't learnt to drive yet have you?' He asked. She shook her head. 'Well then, I'll keep this car, and teach you have to drive in it. But if you feel uncomfortable with me giving it to you, I'll keep it at my house. Then you'll have to come and see me.' He laughed as he pulled out from the car parking space. Ga Eul thought about it and then nodded happily.

'I like that idea a lot.' She smiled. It was good too, she got to go and visit him with out looking stalkerish.

'Good, so do I.' He smiled back at her before having to return his eyes to the road.

'But I thought your car was imported? How are you going to get a new one?' She asked.

'A show room has imported a few for me to look at. You should pick thought. You're going to be spending a lot of time in it.' He said. She tried to hide her smile at these words. But she bit her tongue at the questions she really wanted to ask. Now just didn't seem like the right time.

Yi Jung pulled in to a fancy looking car dealership after a little while of driving. The prices for the cars on display where enormous, and Ga Eul knew Yi Jung's imported ones where going to be so much more expensive. She gulped, and suddenly felt self conscious about what she was wearing as a fancy looking sales lady walked up to the car,and opened the driver's side door.

'Mr So, it's good to finally meet you.' She shook his hand.

'You too.' He smiled in his normal charismatic way. He climbed out of the car, and went around to Ga Eul's side, even thought she had already opened the door herself. He smiled at her regally. Nervously she smiled back.

'Come this way Mr So. We've got a big selection for our special customers.' She said, putting her arm through his in a linked way. Ga Eul glared in a way that could melt metal. The woman pretended not to know. Yi Jung pulled his arm away from the woman's and reached for Ga Eul's hand. She took his hand, and felt very tempted to stick out her tongue at the slimy business woman. They where lead to the inside show room. It had a key pad on the door, the lady entered the code.

'See even the cars aren't as protected as my apartment.' Ga Eul said laughing. She wanted to lighten the situation, and punch the lady in the face at the same time.

'The cars aren't as important.' Yi Jung said coolly, striding in to the show room, where fifteen or so extremely expensive cars sat.

'Now Mr So. Which cars do you like the look of?' The slimy woman said, moving closer to Yi Jung again. He stepped away from her.

'Ga Eul's picking, so don't mention the price.' Was all he said. He took Ga Eul's hand again, and pulled her towards the nearest car.

'Jaygia, do you like this one?' He said. Her heart raced at the word she had been called. She looked at the car.

'It's very pretty...but it doesn't quite have the right feel.' She said. He nodded and steered her towards the next one. She shook her head.

'It's not got air-bags, you'll die in an accident.' She bit her lip. Yi Jung chuckled.

'Are you worried about me?' He asked. She nodded slightly, and went over to the next car. He shook his head, and rolled his eyes at her. They had nearly seen all the cars before Ga Eul saw one she liked the look of. It was orange like the last car, but it was slightly more copper toned. The old car only had seats in the front, but this one had enough room for four people, or five if one person was small. It was also a sports car, and had many safety features.

'I like this one.' She said.

'This is the one I liked too.' Yi Jung smiled. He pinched her cheek lightly. He turned around to the sale's woman, and passed her his credit card.

'This one. Bring me the paperwork please.' He said. She nodded and ran off to find it.

'Ga Eul-ah, after I buy this shall we go some where nice on our first drive?' Yi Jung asked. Ga Eul could see behind his eyes that this was part of a careful plan.

'Like where?' She asked.

'Do you want to go to the beach, mountains, or Jeju island?' He asked. Ga Eul's eyes widened with shock.

'All of those are a long way to go for the rest of the day.' She said. This made him chuckle again.

'Ga Eul-ah, how long have we been apart?' Yi Jung asked. He stood in front of her, and reached his hand forward to brush some of her hair behind her ear. She looked at her shoes.

'Four years?' She said, looking back in to his eyes. He nodded.

'Yes, so we've got a lot to talk about, right?'He said. Ga Eul nodded slightly.

'We're spending the night away. I've booked rooms at the beach, mountains and Jeju island, where do you want to go?' He said in his most charming tone. Ga Eul's heart raced, but she felt more reassured at the plural "rooms" he wasn't trying anything. He really wanted to talk.

'Pick.' He urged her.

'I haven't packed anything.' She said, thinking logically.

'There's a bag in the car Jan Di packed, and I brought you some clothes, they should fit.' He countered her argument and ended with a handsome smile.

'You're spending too much money on me.' She said looking away.

'You've spent too much time on me for some one so good.' He counted another one of her arguments. The slimy sales lady ran back in. Yi Jung quickly signed the paper work, and took back his credit card.

'Please have some one drive my old car back to my house.' He said. The sales lady nodded and smiled a lipstick stained smile. One of her co-workers entered the room and drove the car out of the show room carefully. Yi Jung turned to leave, he laced his hand with Ga Eul's.

'Mr So!' She lady shouted. She ran up to him with a piece of paper. 'My number, for when you get bored of that.' She pointed to Ga Eul. Yi Jung's face turned stony.

'I wont.' Was all he said, he grabbed tighter to her hand and pulled her out of the room. His pace was fast and decisive. He opened the door of the new car for Ga Eul to get in, as the workers transferred the contents of the old car's boot in to the new one. Yi Jung climbed in the other side. He looked angry. Ga Eul didn't say a word, as they drove away quickly, until they where nearly on the motorway.

'Oh, I like the mountains best. Lets go there.' She mumbled.

'My nice girl is so predictable.' Yi Jung laughed to himself. Ga Eul wondered just what he meant by the word "my", but, when the opportunity was right. She would be asking very soon.