Birthday Surprises

Four Years Past: Will The Flames Still Burn Bright?

'Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you. Happy birthday Jaygia, happy birthday to you.' Yi Jung sang, waking Ga Eul up. She opened her eyes to see him carrying a tray in to their bedroom. To the side of the bed she saw breakfast which he had already carried up. On the tray he carried there was a massive cake. It had candles on it for her age. She grinned.

'Oppa!' She smiled sitting up. Yi Jung sat on the side of the bed he put the tray on her lap.

'Make a wish.' He said. She thought for a second, and then blew out the candles. Yi Jung chuckled. He stuck out his hand and pushed her hair out of her face. 'Where do you want to go today? We can go to the theme park you've been wanting to go to.' He smiled. Her face dropped. Yi Jung frowned.

'What's wrong? We don't have to go to a theme park. We can go anywhere.'

'Oppa, lets go to the old porridge shop.' She said. Yi Jung looked surprised. His eyebrows raised.

'If that's what you want.' He replied. She smiled.

'It's where we first met.' She said. Yi Jung chuckled.

'Okay, lets go after breakfast.' Yi Jung smiled. Ga Eul nodded, and hungrily dug in.

After breakfast Ga Eul went to her wardrobe to find something to wear. She put on a dress which flared out slightly at the waist, and wore a red coat over it. Yi Jung drove. The dent in their wall was still there from when Ga Eul had crashed in to it. It was being fixed next week. The car however, was not. They where leaving it in the garage, as a reminder of the past. Yi Jung had brought Ga Eul a new car to learn to drive in. This time thought, it was a jeep, with extra safety measures. She was going to practice again soon. They pulled up outside the old porridge shop. It was still there, only busier than ever, and bigger than ever. It had been expanded to take up the space of the two shops on either side. They walked in, and were greeted by hordes of people. But the old boss pulled them through to the kitchen.

'Ga Eul-ah, Yi Jung-ssi.' He cried happily. He hugged Ga Eul tightly, and carefully hugged Yi Jung.

'Boss, can we sit in here and eat?' Ga Eul asked. Her old boss nodded. He quickly had two bowls of porridge to give him.

'I'll be back in a minute, don't leave.' He told them walking out of the kitchen. Ga Eul sat on the counter eating. Yi Jung chuckled at sat next to her.

'Happy birthday, Jaygia.' He said, pulling a box out of his pocket.

'Oh?' Ga Eul said with wide eyes. She opened the box. Inside it lay a beautiful necklace. It was small, and heart shaped. The inside of the heart was mother of pearl, and the outside was surrounded by very small pearls. The chain it hung on had a pearl, and then some chain, and then a pearl in a pattern.

'I designed it. It's made just for you, there's only one in the entire world.' He said charismatically. Ga Eul's mouth dropped open.

'Oppa, I really love it.' She said. Yi Jung smiled.

'I hoped you would.' He grinned. Ga Eul's heart beat faster.

'No, I love it so much you don't understand.' She said staring at the box.

'That's how I feel about you.' He said calmly. He took a spoonful of porridge and brought it to his lips.

'Oppa, can I tell you something about my family?' Ga Eul asked quietly. Yi Jung looked curious. He nodded as he ate. 'Well, in my family miscarriages are really really common.' She said. Yi Jung stopped eating.

'Jaygia. Have you miscarried?' He asked in worry. Ga Eul's cheeks turned pink she shook her head quickly.

'No. But I could do in the future.' She said.

'We've never talked about children before.' Yi Jung said. Ga Eul nodded.

'We haven't. But I want them... do you?' She asked. Yi Jung went quiet.

'I've really not spent a lot of time around children until recently. So I'm not a hundred percent sure. But I'm pretty sure I'd like them if you were their mother.' He said. 'And Ga Eul, if in the future you get pregnant, and you miscarry. Well that's fine as long as you're okay. We can adopt.' He squeezed her hand.

'How many children do you want?' She asked him.

'If I was to have any, I don't think I'd want many. I've fought with my brother a lot until recently, and there were only two of us.' He said thoughtfully. He put his bowl down, and reached over Ga Eul to put her necklace on her. She moved her hair out of the way.

'I think I'd only want one child.' She said with her back to her husband. 'I mean if I didn't miscarry, I wouldn't want to go through the worrying that I would again. Or if we adopted I wouldn't want to go through the process again. I spend all day with children, so I think I'd just want the one.' Ga Eul said. Yi Jung finished putting on her necklace for her. He grabbed his bowl again and continued eating.

'I think one seems good too. I wouldn't want to put you through anything. And for siblings they've got the triplets. If they're anything like their parents they would be interesting siblings to have. Maybe too interesting.' Yi Jung joked. Ga Eul laughed too. She took a spoonful of porridge.

'I'm glad we're on the same page.' She smiled.

'Me too.' Yi Jung smiled back. Ga Eul swallowed what she was eating.

'Because I'm five months pregnant. I wanted to make sure I was far along before you, or anyone knew. Encase I did miscarry.' She said calmly. Yi Jung started choking on his porridge. He coughed. Ga Eul jumped up and patted him on the back. A panicked look was on her face.

'Five months pregnant?' He spluttered. Ga Eul nodded. Her expression was nervous. She bit her lip.

'And you're telling me about this now?' He coughed. Ga Eul nodded.

'I didn't want to miscarry and for people to know.' She said.

'So if you did miscarry you were planning to go through that by yourself?' Yi Jung asked, trying to get his head around the whole thing.

'I was. I saw the pitying looks every one gave her, and I'd rather get through it on my own then people look at me that way.' Ga Eul stated bravely. Yi Jung took a deep breath in.

'You're so stupid. So stupid.' He said, hugging her tightly. 'I love you so much. I'm so happy I can't even say.' He laughed. 'But honestly you are the most idiotic girl on the entire planet.' He laughed. Ga Eul laughed too. He then held her back at arms length looking at her.

'Is that why you've been wearing that style of dress for the last few months?' He asked looking at the dress that flared out at the waist, hiding any baby bump. Ga Eul nodded. He rolled his eyes. His eyes then widened.

'That means the car crash was when you where pregnant!' He yelled. Ga Eul nodded.

'But I'm fine. And he's fine.' She said. Yi Jung took a step back. He blinked twice.

'He's?'

'It's a boy.' Ga Eul grinned. Yi Jung looked shock.

'I'm going to be a dad.' He said. Ga Eul nodded her head.

'Yes.'

'And that' he pointed to Ga Eul's stomach. 'Is going to be a boy. With a name, and a life, and...' He trailed off.

'That's right.' Ga Eul smiled

'I seem to remember you like the name Sang Min for a boy?' He said thinking back to Jan Di and Jun Pyo's naming conversation. Ga Eul's face light up.

'How did you remember?' She asked. Yi Jung chuckled.

'How could I not?' He laughed. Then he started laughing even more. 'But it's going to be interesting explaining to my grandfather why my wife of two months is five months pregnant.'

Ga Eul turned both pale and red at the same time. Yi Jung just laughed even more.