The End - Suho

Living the Dream~ Working with Exo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Suho

The leader of Exo wasn’t a hard person to appease. Deep down, Junmyeon was someone who very much wanted company. From the moment you’d met him, ‘Suho’ had been kind and accommodating. ‘’Junmoney’’ (his nickname) bailed you out of sticky situations when there was no need for him to: Paying for your hospital fee being a notable example, seeing as the leader never asked you for anything in return. The numerous times Junmyeon had taken the heat on behalf of the boys (and even you) was unrepayable.

You’d always felt like you owed Junmyeon, not just for accepting you for everything that you were – but as a friend and as a virtuous leader. Of course, you did your best to try and repay him through moments of kindness re: backing him up when the boys didn’t listen to him, and even helping him rehearse lines for his very first drama cameo.

Did he have feelings for you?

No, you didn’t think so. But if you thought back now, Kyungsoo’s inexplainable stiffening of every muscle in his body whenever Junmyeon made you smile, was confusing to say the least.

It was easy to feel at-ease around Junmyeon; initially that wasn’t the case, but now, the boy was sincerely a friend.

---

Fireworks were going on near the Han river

It was Junmyeon who'd heard about it. Your lack of excitement soon turned into anticipation as a consequence of the leader's enthusiasm. The other Exo-K members were of mixed opinions when Junmyeon suggested that you all go to the Han river to watch the display. But with your help, the others agreed to the trip – which satisfied the loveable leader endlessly.

‘I reserved a place, we’ve got a nice view – we’ll be able to see everything.’ Junmyeon stated merrily, carrying a bag of snacks and a basket while you carried a few blankets, and the rest of the boys held bits and bobs for entertainment purposes. You trudged past couples and groups of people who thankfully, due to the cover of night and the boy’s lack of hair styling and makeup, did not recognise.

‘My feet hurt.’ Chanyeol complained. ‘Yah we’ve only walked 5 metres from the car.’ Baekhyun rebuked. ‘Stop – here it is!’ Junmyeon called out, pointing towards a flat bit of green land between some sparse onlookers. You stared at the patch of grass and shrugged your shoulders, turning around to get a view of the river.

‘This is it?’ Sehun asked confused. ‘Y-yes, come on, let’s set up – got some nice snacks don’t forget.’ Junmeyon enthusiastically called out while you flung a large picnic blanket, and then another onto the cold grass, Kyungsoo helped you. 

‘Could we get closer?’ Jongin called out, pointing towards the river. ‘Yeah, there’s some space up front – I’m sure we can just move.’ Baekhyun agreed.

‘But this is the space I reserved...it’s very nice and look we’ll still get a nice view....’ Junmyeon explained, pointing at the now laid-out space. 

‘Look there’s some space there, if we just try and sneak in, we can get closer.’ Chanyeol, the tallest member, pointed out over people’s heads. ‘I want to see the people actually light them up.’ Sehun whinged, on a chupa-chup, already hungry. ‘Yeah yeah let’s go.’ Baekhyun said hastily while the boys began to move away.

‘It’s going to start any minute wait, guys!’ Junmyeon called out, but the others had already began to talk amongst themselves, buzzing and walking between the loose gatherings of people. He heaved a disappointed sigh, quiet and alone in the dark night. 

'Well I'm staying here.' 

The leader's ears perked up. Junmyeon turned, astonished as he saw you getting yourself comfortable with no intention to move.  

Kyungsoo stood, staring hard at Junmyeon until his large eyes darted toward you;

'You're not coming?' His low, sombre voice asked you. 

'I'd prefer a nice warm blanket.' You replied as-a-matter-of-factly, gesturing at Junmyeon to sit down beside you. 

Kyungsoo was about to speak again, but Jongin tugged on his Hyung's shirt, throwing a hand over Kyungsoo's shoulder. He looked at you one last time before being led around the crowd.

‘This won’t do, will it.’ Junmyeon mumbled, his shoulders slumped forward while contemplating moving everything or staying in place.

‘You should all come back!’ You cupped your hands, yelling after them. ‘Yah, ungrateful punks.’ You added, moving to prepare the area some more for your stay. 

‘Wait, you’re really going to stay'...with me? Junmyeon asked, amazement stiffened his movements as he sat down beside you. You shrugged your shoulders nonchalantly while taking things out of the basket he held: 

‘Well, yes of course. You said this is our spot, so this is our spot.’ You nodded in agreement with the notion. 

‘B-but Maybe we should move…’ Junmyeon mumbled. ‘Yah, don’t say that.’ You replied, waving his words away before throwing a blanket over both yours and Junmyeon's folded legs.

You’d found a pack of crisps and struggled to rip them open as they were confined in such hard plastic. Junmyeon gently took the packet from you and ripped with little effort. You blew out an enthusiastic sigh before  popping a chip into your mouth.

‘If they want to get caught trespassing, then let them.’ You added, chewing aggressively in your irritated state. 

‘Besides, I’m sure they’ll come back once they realise they left their snacks.' You added amusedly, tapping the basket that was now beside you. Junmyeon sat deathly still for a moment longer, in evident bewilderment. ‘I mean, this view is perfectly adequate, I can see the river.’  You added, taking out your phone and snapping a few shots with a content expression on your face. 

Junmyeon paused for a moment and gulped while looking around, the boys had almost disappeared amongst the crowd now, and the leader almost became hyper-aware over how many couples had actually sprung up in the area. His nerves began to get the better of him as the worry seeped out of him. But something else filled his chest as he pondered the events that had just occurred, and how you had chosen to stay with him. Something like pride filled Junmyeon’s chest.

‘Thank you.’ He said as background, celebratory music began to play, signaling the display would be starting any minute.

‘What for?’ You asked bemused, flinging another spare blanket over your folded legs and offering it to Junmyeon as well, who politely refused.

‘-For staying with me.’ He felt sheepish saying it, his ears turned redder by the second. 

‘No need to thank me.’ You replied, once again waving away his words but this time, with an encouraging smile. Junmyeon looked back at you apologetically; ‘I mean, you didn’t have to stay with me.’

Seeing as none of the others did.

He tried fein a laugh to deflect his embarrassment.

‘Kim Junmyeon.’ You said his name clearly yet quietly, aware people could possibly hear and leaned in closer towards him, offering him the packet of crisps: ‘Believe it or not, I do actually like to hang out with you.’ 

‘Really?’ His eyes widened, holding a chip in his hand bemusedly. 

‘Of course.’ You shrugged; ‘You’re quiet – thank goodness. You’re thoughtful, responsible…and you take care of me. So yeah, I like spending time with you.’ You almost hummed the words before popping another chip into your mouth;

‘And if I have to choose between going out into that noisy, cramped crowd with those crazy boys…or sit right here with my blanket, chips and you - You gestured toward him... 

…’Well, you know where I’d be.’ You grinned at him before unscrewing the lid of a water bottle you'd brought.

Junmyeon didn’t know how to think or what to feel as he sat perfectly still, aloof to his near open-mouthed expression. Warmth radiated through him and finally, a grin erupted from his lips, and you noticed, smiling back at him patiently before offering an unopened bottle of water.

‘I remember the first time we met, you did this exact same thing.’ He gestured towards the bottle. ‘Do you remember?’

‘Of course, I do – but I didn’t know you did?’ You stifled back a laugh.

'Well, you were the water girl.’ He smirked. 

The embarrassing thing was, if he was told back then, that he would be here right now…with you…enjoying the sight of you, your bright smile...the warmth that you radiated... 

Well, he would have laughed.

It was unthinkable.

Unimaginable-

-And yet, here he was.

Junmyeon knew in this instant, there was nowhere else he’d want to be....

...this overflowing, constant stream of welcoming warmth, like sitting beside an inviting fire. It was only now that Junmyeon realised...it had always radiated from you-

-From the moment you handed him that first bottle of water...to the moment you offered him one now.

Never change, please -  he pleaded so hard.

‘What were the chances we’d be here.’ Junmyeon said softly, his words soaked with melancholy. 

‘I know right?’ You remarked, pulling your knees up while you stared at the exhibit. Luckily, people were beginning to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter