From the other side

Living the Dream~ Working with Exo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Even though his hair had been trimmed and gelled, even though his suit fit him like a glove, and even though he had makeup on (something he still hadn’t gotten used to), Kyungsoo felt nervous.

He hated being in the public eye and he disliked these sorts of events the most.

He despised getting dressed and was terrified of slipping up in front of the cameras. Luckily those two baffoons at the front and the leader enjoyed taking the spotlight. He always found comfort in Jongin and Sehun looking bored and quiet.

‘You look pretty.’ Kyungsoo whispered in Jongin’s ear while he posed for the cameras.

‘Thanks.’ Jongin replied smiling at his best friend, unable to see properly through the bright camera flashes.  

‘Guys you will never believe what I’ve seen, _____-ah looks so different done up!’ An excited Baekhyun jittered while the boys lined up and posed.

‘Where is she?’ Junmyeon asked through a poised grin.

‘Oh she’s trying to sneak in through the other door. But man guys she-‘

‘-Baekhyun look over here please.’ Manager Yuna barked the order while she pointed at the cameras straight ahead.

That shut the fool up. Kyungsoo couldn’t help but smile – it was perfect timing as a thousand flashed went off straight after.

However it wasn’t Baekhyun that he was worried about when it came to you. He peered to his right, looking at the aloof boy standing next to him and giving a thumbs up to the cameras.

He barely knew the situation.

You were going to make a move and Kyungsoo knew it. It was only a matter of time before you said something to Jongin.

Could he just stand by and watch you get hurt?

He was almost sure Baekhyun had sussed out the situation, which seemed to make him even more determined to get close to you, and even more distant from Jongin as a consequence.

The other three were definitely too stupid to notice.

‘Jongin isn’t the only one I like.’

Those words seemed to keep him up at night. They caused such a stir inside him it irritated Kyungsoo immensely. He’d be damned if he could figure that out, it could be absolutely anyone you were talking about…he always seemed to forget there were 6 other boys that could easily be candidates. But then again you could have easily been saying any random mumbo-jumbo before passing out.

As soon as the boys all got inside it was hectic. Of course all 6 of them stood like lemons for the first few moments before Junmyeon suggested they mingle. He was just desperate to go and talk to the more famous sunbaes seeing as he never got permission to talk to them as a trainee. Kyungsoo remembered when the Suju members would walk through their training classes and give them encouraging nods. Even the TVXQ guys would walk in and out, stopping to nod. Now here they stood, technically equals, but not really. Even within these walls, it felt like they were in a cage full of sharks.

‘Easing the tensionnnn.’ Baekhyun and Chanyeol snatched some drinks of a passing by waiter and clinked their champagne glasses before sipping their drinks enthusiastically. Even Jongin joined in which of course led Sehun to do the same.  

‘Guys let’s control ourselves and not forget where we are.’ Junmyeon suggested through gritted teeth and a fake smile.

‘Yep yeeeep here Junmyeon ease up.’ Chanyeol exclaimed grabbing a champagne glass off the tray a waiter held.

‘Just one then.’ Junmyeon sighed already defeated.

Jongin offered Kyungsoo a drink but he refused not feeling the desire to drink.

A hand tapped his shoulder suddenly;

‘What have I missed?’

He turned his head but there was no need as you stood right by his side.

For once he couldn’t hide the shock on his face, feeling his throat go dry instantly.

You looked so different and yet the exact same. The hair wasn’t too much, the makeup wasn’t hiding your distinct features and the dress didn’t over expose.  

Maybe objectively you didn’t look better than any idol but…but just knowing you and knowing the heart you had, it made you the most attractive girl in the building to Kyungsoo.

And probably the others, but that was irrelevant.

‘I told you.’ Baekhyun had barely whispered into Chanyeol’s ear who stood aloofly and stared.

Of course you looked nervous as you looked around, landing on the approachable Junmyeon while Kyungsoo tried his best to look away, but he couldn’t.

‘Guys w-what? Did I get something on my dress?’ You stuttered while Junmyeon’s mouth softened into a toothy smile. He always did that when he felt nervous, Kyungsoo wondered if you even noticed…

‘No, you look perfect’ Chanyeol mumbled but you looked like you hadn’t heard.

‘Great!’ Junmyeon exclaimed immediately looking embarrassed as soon as he said it. It was blatantly obvious Junmyeon had definitely made up all his prior escapades with girls he’d had in the past during his trainee days seeing as he could barely look at you, a female, without blushing.

 ‘Chin cha why didn’t you dress up earlier?’ Sehun blurted out, looking at the boys for some sort of agreement. Luckily Kyungsoo hadn’t seen Chanyeol nod, so his attention was directed towards the stupid maknae.

Kyungsoo kicked his shin as a light warning without you seeing, besides you were too busy trying hard not to look at Jongin and failing. Jongin seemed to be looking at you and smiling, but of course in your head you’d be taking it the wrong way…

---------

Everyone split into different pairings and began doing their own thing. Junmyeon tried his best to rub shoulders with the other sunbaes and hopefully receive some phone numbers ‘purely for business purposes’ if any girl was to give it. As for the two baffoons, Kyungsoo noticed them taking a million selfies all around the room with your phone while they tried their best to tip down more drinks. Sehun had been pulled away by members of f(x) although he didn’t bother to dig deeper into that situation due to it being uninteresting.

You caught his attention.

Because you weren’t alone, you were talking to Jongin, and that made him feel uneasy.

The way you were talking and smiling at him and the way he grinned back at you…

Immediately he started to walk faster, trying to stop you before you;

 ‘Actually Jongin-ah, I want to tell you-‘

‘-Jongin.’ Kyungsoo grabbed on to Jongin’s shoulder and pulled him back slightly.

‘Hmm what?’ Jongin nonchalantly turned towards Kyungsoo. His immediate reaction was to dart his eyes to the toilets. At least he knew he could discuss in private over there.

‘Mm ok.’ Jongin looked at you apologetically before following.

Kyungsoo tried to look you in the eye. He tried to apologise, but you had already looked down and away, annoyed by the abruption.

---------------

‘I don’t speak to children.’ Taeyon rolled her eyes and shooed the boy away.

Baekhyun sheepishly turned around and left much to Chanyeol’s delight. He howled with laughter for about five minutes.

‘I can’t believe you fell for it!’ Chanyeol exclaimed clutching his stomach.

Baekhyun tried his best to look irritated so Chanyeol wouldn’t ask questions.

He tried to talk to the Girl’s generation leader as a dare and because he once had a massive high-school crush on her. But seeing as she was the biggest diva he’d ever met, he knew he had to try and talk to her to lead Chanyeol astray.

He couldn’t show his best friend what he was feeling…

‘Jeez we drank so much…Chanyeol…I think I’m going to throw up.’ Baekhyun muttered, covering his mouth.

‘You go and I’ll stay here, I want to sample the food.’ Chanyeol stated while he nodded his head towards the buffet table sprawled out near them.

‘Ok.’ Baekhyun shrugged, annoyed his wellbeing meant less to Chanyeol than food.

He recoiled feeling his stomach regurgitate and tremble. He definitely needed to vomit.

Immediately he crashed into an empty cubicle and locked the door behind him before hanging his head over the toilet.

The moment he’d finished he flushed and closed the lid, sitting on it while he dabbed the sweat off his forehead off so as not to remove his makeup.

The bathroom door opened and closed so now he wasn’t the only one alone in the bathroom.

‘What Kyungsoo? You need me to go to the toilet?’

Baekhyun obviously could recognise those voices anywhere.

‘No, listen.’ Baekhyun leaned closer to the door while lifting his legs in case the little e checked under the doors.

‘She’s going to confess to you, tonight.’ Kyungsoo’s voice sounded far too serious for this to be a joke. Baekhyun clamped his hand over his mouth quickly before he could gasp.

‘What? Who?’ Jongin asked aloofly.

‘_____.’ Kyungsoo replied in his monotone voice, but he sounded desperate for once in his life.

‘Whaaaaat? But no Kyungsoo, she can’t possibly be, but I only see her as a friend, as a sister if anything!’ Jongin exclaimed through the door. Baekhyun could almost visualise the distress on the boy’s face.

‘Well you haven’t done a good job of showing her that. But anyway that’s not the point. She’s going to confess and you need to be prepared for when she does…’

‘But aish…what do I do Kyungsoo? What do I do? I was treating her the same as I’d treat my sisters I mean…of course she’s cute and smart and funny-‘

‘-Are you sure you don’t like her?’ Baekhyun could hear the curiosity in Kyungsoo’s voice as if he’d got it all wrong. However Baekhyun held his breath, he too wanted to know the answer to that question.

‘Of course I like her! But as a sister I mean…I mean I’m too busy with Exo and my dancing…I told you before Kyungsoo-ah, with Seulgi and the others...I’m too busy to be thinking about girls right now.’ Jongin lightly clenched his fists, desperately trying to figure out his own emotions, his own feelings.

Baekhyun felt the knot in his stomach worsen.

Boys know boys…

And Jongin wasn’t fooling anyone…except himself probably.

Idiot.

‘Just remember that she’s your friend, and our manager. Just tell her the truth and she will understand.’ It was almost poetry that came out of Kyungsoo’s mouth. But by this point Baekhyun was fuming. He couldn’t think straight while he sat there, listening to this B-S.

It’s always Jongin, it’s always, always Jongin. And now that punk is going to…he’s going to hurt her. She’s going to cry and feel stupid because this idiot can’t decide which girl he should stick his into!? And of course Kyungsoo was on his side, Kyungsoo never saw a fault in his damn wonderboy’s actions.

‘Ok, let’s go.’ Jongin said, walking up to the door and holding it open for Kyungsoo. As soon as the door closed;

‘Selfish bastard.’ Baekhyun muttered under his breath, fist clenched and body shaking.

‘Yah what took you so long?’ Chanyeol exclaimed, slapping Baekhyun on the back.

‘Doesn’t matter, oh there’s Taeyon! Didn’t you say you always had a massive crush on her, well here’s your chance!! Go talk to her! And once she’s your girlfriend you can introduce me to her friends.’ Chanyeol grinned as if it was a wonderful win-win situation.

‘What? What’s wrong?’ Chanyeol asked looking at Baekhyun whose expression hadn’t altered since he’d left the bathroom.

‘Ah, oh nothing I’m just…it’s just I’m super nervous about talking to her you know, because she’s so…’ His eyes looked over her plastic face and the dead look behind her eyes.

‘…doll-like.’ Was the best he could muster while he shivered. But he knew he had to distract Chanyeol…

‘I told you she’d be a !’ Chanyeol hissed still cackling.

‘Yeah yeah.’ Baekhyun pouted unenthusiastically. His rejection actually made him more angry than usual about the whole night. He’d gone through this extreme idol transformation got in an SM boy group and yet…he still couldn’t get any girl he wanted like he was promised.

‘What have you done you two?’

Your voice made his heart skip a beat, but immediately it turned into an aching pain. All he could do was mask his annoyance by using this Taeyon situation.

He looked at you while Chanyeol explained, Jongin obviously hadn’t rejected you yet, otherwise you wouldn’t have looked this chipper.

‘When you’re on a strict diet and you can’t move your face from so much surgery…yeah I’d be y too. Besides they think they can get royalty so…’

‘So basically you’re too ugly Baekhyun.’ Chanyeol concluded, crossing his arms and nodding.

Baekhyun wanted to retaliate but you beat him to it;

‘Pff of course not.’ You waved the conclusion away dismissively. Baekhyun looked at you hopefully. At least someone thought he was good looking.

‘Just get super famous, then she’ll notice.’ You stated shrugging your shoulders at him.

It was hard to concentrate when all he could visualise was your crying face by the end of the night. His fists clenched and unclenched, he knew he was sweating. Perhaps if he could get to Jongin first...perhaps then he could-

‘-Yah Baekhyun – you deserve wayyyy better than that anyways.’ You stated, throwing an arm over his shoulder reassuringly. He had snapped out of his thoughts for a few seconds. He felt uncomfortable for two reasons; a) You smelt of alcohol which obviously meant you had drank a few drinks to pluck up the courage to talk to Jongin, which annoyed him and b) your almost exposed chest was pressed far too close to him for comfort. You seemed to notice and so moved away shyly before speaking;

‘You and your eyeliner can get a natural beauty. Not a plastic face.’ You stated very confidently. It made Baekhyun feel extremely guilty seeing as he wasn’t 100% natural – but man you hung around them all the time and didn’t notice. Either his work was that good, or you were just that oblivious.

 ‘Umm, dude, she does know we’ve all got our faces-‘

‘SHhhhhhhhhh.’ Baekhyun violently shook his head at Chanyeol. If the girl didn’t notice, no one should point it out to you.

However a thought ran through his head. It was an instant epiphany.

The wonderful thing about you was that you wore your heart on your sleeve, and the question would definitely help him with his ego;

‘____-ah.’ He tried to look nonchalant about your answer.

‘Mm?’ You asked scanning the crowd.

‘So you wouldn’t mind if I was with Taeyon?’

Instantly your whole body tensed and you made eye contact before immediately looking down and pursing your lips.

‘Ummm…I guess not.’ You shrugged looking away.

His heart dropped. The words were a massive disappointment.

But then it clicked.

Baekhyun refused to believe those words

Because he knew you long enough to know when you were lying.

He wanted to ask more questions, to try and dig deeper. If there was a way he could…if there was a chance then…then he could do something as crazy as-

‘-I got to go, oh Kyungsoo’s there, Kyungsoo~’ and with that you darted off, causing Chanyeol to poke and prod him with a million questions.

===========

Of course the moment Jongin and Kyungsoo left the toilets, Seulgi, the girl who followed Jongin around like the plague came to talk.

Thus, Kyungsoo had no choice but to leave Jongin to drown on his own. That being said, he seemed to handle Seulgi well which enabled Kyungsoo to go find you and the others.

Before he’d walked very far, someone grabbed him by the arm.

You stood there but you weren’t really there. Nothing but fear and shock kept you rooted to the spot by the looks of things.

‘Kyungsoo.’ You asked nervously looking ahead.

‘What?’ He asked surprised by your expression. He followed your gaze and immediately understood why your face had fallen.

 ‘Talking to Jongin, who’s that girl?’ You asked obviously bothered.

If Kyungsoo didn’t love singing as much as he did, he would’ve become an actor. His nonchalant expression was Oscar-winning.

‘She’s called Seulgi…she’s a trainee.’ He stated sounding bored, but in his head, his mind was all over the place, figuring you out like a jigsaw puzzle.

‘How do you feel watching them?...jealous?’ He wanted to know exactly what it was you were thinking and feeling. He wanted to know if he should warn you, tell you to back off for your own good…or if he should make up a lie and say Seulgi was Jongin’s girlfriend…just to save y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter