A New Beginning

Living the Dream~ Working with Exo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                

It had only been a few days and people were already disappearing – ‘probably to see girls’ – Luhan chuckled to himself at the thought. Romance; in this company, as if they had the time now – but back then…they all did.

Where had everyone gone? Luhan peered around the kitchen corner however no other sounds could be heard from the lounge as he bit into an apple, feeling tired and sore from dance practice.  He pulled his phone out in one hand, enjoying the juiciness of the fruit in his mouth while he chewed loudly, enjoying the silen-

*Clank*

Luhan turned his head instinctively to the noise, uncannily like the deer he supposedly was (which fan even started that nickname, he’d never find out).

He took one last gulp before slowly heading to the utility room down the corridor.

If someone was doing the laundry, the only person that would be was…

Instantly Luhan threw the apple away in the nearest bedroom bin before straightening out his shirt hastily…thankfully his breath would smell sweet due to the fruit.

Why that was even something to think about was silly.

But…he hadn’t had you well and truly alone for days, now that the others fawned all over you at any moment they got-

Luhan froze.

Disneyland.

He’d just remembered where he’d left it with you in Disneyland.

His heart skipped to his throat remembering it;

Luhan ran a nervous hand over his head, recalling how close he’d gotten…to…

‘Ah.’ He groaned, slapping his forehead a little too hard as the whole memory washed over him;

He was going to do it; he was so close – so ridiculously close to…but the thought – the thought that he wasn’t good enough consumed him.

He didn’t want to take you by surprise, he didn’t want it to be a moment where it would all end terribly…

Because if he was going to do it…he wanted you…he would like you to…want it too.

Oh God, what am I thinking!??

*clank*

How had he almost forgotten you were in the dorms, in China? Had he gotten so used to the old grumpy house cleaner that stopped by the place twice a week and Manager Li staying in the spare room while you made kimchi spaghetti and laughed and giggled with the others back in Korea?

Luhan tucked all those stupid thoughts away and stood in the doorway. Acting like a nervous fool wouldn’t get him anywhere closer to where he wanted to be.

So, a small smirk spread across his lips at the thought of a practical joke – and that meant scaring the e out of you, which excited him beyond compare.  

He waited for the next clank before closing his eyes and jumping out into the doorway in plain sight-

Luhan waited for the scream of shock,

but, nothing.

As he opened his eyes he saw you, standing still…staring at the wall with an empty basket while the machine behind you whirled and whirled, its monotonous sound must’ve pushed you into your thoughts, deeper and deeper…

Luhan couldn’t help it-

His face fell; a slight crease formed above his brow while he watched you -

You were doing it again.

You were staring into space, looking back into some memory that he most certainly was not a part of.

You were still there, still with the others – stuck in the past.

‘Stop’

Luhan had to shake his head aggressively, knowing he was being stupid…and jealous…

’Jealousy doesn’t suit you.’- It was one of the few things Minseok uttered in his ear the moment you’d mentioned the K boys’ at dinner. He hated hearing it, but Minseok was right – being jealous was something Luhan had never been, and never wanted to be.

You were here, you were present – in the flesh, and that was a small victory. He had you now, and there was no way on earth he was going to waste it by being mopey. No, he was going to change it-

‘____.’ His voice seemed a little more urgent than he’d intended while an idea popped into his head;

However, you jumped about a foot in the air, dropping the laundry basket before clutching onto your chest for dear life:

‘LUHAN DON’T DO THAT JEEZ.’ You almost yelled, breathing heavily while Luhan smiled guiltily and handed you back the basket-

‘Sorry, sorry I should’ve knocked I just, I was wondering…’

You were half listening while you straightened yourself out and turned back to the washing machine that had finished its cycle.

‘Do you want to go somewhere with me?’ Luhan asked, leaning back while he said it, a fraction of him worried you’d say no.

‘What? Oh go somewhere, well I would but I have to clean the bathroom and also-‘

‘-Pleaaase~’ If he had to turn the aegyo on, by God he would turn the aegyo on! Luhan smoothly moved to your side, helping you dump the clothes into the dryer, it didn’t matter if your arms bumped, the tingly sensation had to be ignored.

‘Where do you want to go?’ You asked, turning the dial of the dryer while Luhan scratched the back of his head. He was surprised you would be so open to the idea of going out. The problem was he had no idea where on earth you could both-

-then-

-Luhan’s lips curled into a nostalgic smile as he looked off into the distance;

‘Football practice.’

You froze for a split-second, Luhan didn’t notice;

‘What?’ The quivered question came out.

Luhan supressed the smile as best he could;

‘I want to stretch my limbs and have some fresh air and since Minseok’s busy – you could take his place?~’ He moved in, giving you an encouraging thumbs up. You averted his gaze;

‘But I’m crap at football-‘

‘-You’re better than Tao so don’t worry about it.’ You still looked unconvinced.

‘And! I’ll buy you snacks after~’ You rolled your eyes, meaning he’d won. Luhan bit his bottom lip in anticipation.

‘Alright, alright let’s go. Do I need to get changed? I probably should, I look a mess!’ You exclaimed, pulling down your comfy shirt in embarrassment.

‘Don’t.’ He would’ve held your wrist, but something in him kept him from doing it.

You looked up at him with a raised eyebrow, but Luhan looked back at you with a deer-like expression he’d never realise he made;

‘You look prettier than pretty.’

The pink flush in your cheeks, the shy yet annoyed looking grin made it worth it. It made all his bitterness, his jealousy, his disappointment…

…Worth it.

========================

 

The Kimchi spaghetti looked exceptionally good today…and yet it looked so bland, Kyungsoo thought.

While he dug his fork into a serving and it into his mouth, it was as if he could barely taste the spices.

Kyungsoo sighed.

‘Oh you cooked my favourite! How did you know I felt like spaghetti today?’ Jongin slid out from their room (after smelling the meal no doubt) and decided to have a taste.

Kyungsoo barely looked at him while Jongin sat down, stretching his limbs and sniffing the food before forking some spaghetti into his mouth;

‘Ah Hyung you’ve really outdone yourself today this is something else, mannnnn I’m so hungry too!’

Kyungsoo furrowed his eyebrows at his best friend who seemed to be engulfing the food at an inhuman rate and wondered if his taste buds had changed.

‘What?’ Jongin asked while he stopped mid-slurp to look back at a surprised Kyungsoo.

‘Do you know how to eat like a normal human being?’ Kyungsoo replied, his lips curved into a smile – he did appreciate Jongin’s enjoyment over his home cooked meals, however…

‘Whaat I’m a growing 20-year-old I need all the food I can get.’ Jongin replied wiping his lips with a tissue Kyungsoo handed him.

‘____-ah said she misses watching me eat your combined-effort spaghetti.’ Jongin chuckled at the memory.

‘When did she tell you that?’ Kyungsoo asked, surprised by the sudden mention of your name by Jongin, of all people.

‘Oh we messaged each other.’ Jongin shrugged, twirling his fork around another strand of spaghetti on the plate before picking it up and eating it.

‘You two message?’ Kyungsoo asked trying his best to not sound as surprised as he felt.

‘Mm, yeah from time to time, I’m sure you two do.’ Jongin nodded with pouty, guilt-free lips before shoving another forkful of spaghetti into his mouth.

‘No, I haven’t…really messaged.’ Kyungsoo muttered immediately feeling something pang inside him, something feral and territorial...but at the same time…the sinking feeling he felt in his gut simmered down his anger…to disappointment.

‘What else do you talk about?’ The question was clear and direct when Kyungsoo stared unblinkingly back at a once-oblivious Jongin who now began to feel something was wrong;

‘…Stuff…you know…’ He gulped back some water to wash away the sudden guilt he felt upon realising this was getting to Kyungsoo;

‘….well you know she’s not very good at sending the first message, so you got to start the chat first. I was lying in bed feeling hungry so I asked her how the food was in China.’ Jongin reassured his best friend. Kyungsoo stared at his cup intently, refusing to look back at him.  

It wasn’t as if he hadn’t thought about it, but after that kimchi spaghetti picture…it was hard. He didn’t understand why; it shouldn’t have been but…but things were…

‘Look, if you miss her…’

‘…just message her Kyungsoo.’ Jongin muttered encouragingly. Kyungsoo looked back at Jongin without blinking or showing any form of emotion;

‘Mm.’ He mumbled, forking some more spaghetti into his mouth quietly, but he’d lost his appetite a while ago.

‘Ah awesome food, I’m starving.’ Sehun stated, pulling out his retainer to eat. The managers forced him to wear it most days to correct the lisp he apparently needed to get over. Of course you didn’t know otherwise you’d have gone berserk.

‘Sehun-ah, do you and ____-ah message?’ Kyungsoo didn’t understand why Jongin had the nerve to ask the useless maknae.  

‘Yeah we message.’ Sehun nodded before picking up Kyungsoo’s fork and slurping down spaghetti.

‘About what.’ It wasn’t a question in Kyungsoo’s mind as his whole body tensed.

‘Just simple stuff, we talked about bubble tea and I sent her a picture of the drink I ordered today.’ Sehun shrugged nonchalantly, the food had most of his attention.

‘Today?’ Kyungsoo asked while Jongin tried to hold back a grimace.

‘Mm.’ Sehun nodded, slurping some food once more. Weirdly enough Kyungsoo had a sensation, a small hope the boy would choke on it.

‘Oh are we talking about the really funny meme ____ sent cuz that was hilarious.’ Chanyeol asked laughing to himself while he walked past the others to the kitchen.

‘No, what?’ Kyungsoo barked, looking confused while Junmyeon laughed obviously in agreement with Chanyeol. Apparently he was on the couch watching TV the whole time…

‘Ah she sent me it before I went to sleep yesterday. But yeah usually we just chat before I sleep.’ Chanyeol stated, glugging down a carton of milk from the fridge.

‘Ah food awesome I’m soooo hungryyyyy, coach had me sing the backing vocals again its soooo tiring.’ Baekhyun fake-complained while he sat down on the table.

‘And what are we talking about?’ Baekhyun asked leaning in closer to the plate of spaghetti to try and get a whiff of it.

‘_____-ah and her messages.’ Sehun shrugged while he forked some more food into his mouth.

‘Oh really? Actually she just replied to my message; she’s fine she’s just going for some football practice.’ Baekhyun stated, tucking his phone back into his pocket while he picked up a spare fork

‘Why football?’ Sehun mumble

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter