China Showcase

Living the Dream~ Working with Exo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Your eyes flung open.

Why couldn’t you sleep?

You checked your phone in your dark bedroom, however the brightness of the screen just stung your eyes further.

‘Whuuuuu.’ You grumbled; Jesus you had like 2 hours till you had to get up.

‘Nope.’ You concluded turning around and lying on your front, refusing to wake up at this time, knowing it was just nerves that were keeping you up.

But alas.

After what seemed like a lifetime, you got out of bed.  

‘.’ You hissed angrily as you walked to the door.

Yawning, you walked out of your bedroom door, walking straight into the kitchen and pouring yourself some cold-arse water.

You sleepily gulped down the luxurious elixir of life before walking past the living room to get to your bedroom.

But you stopped

You could’ve sworn you heard a noise…was it…sniffling?

‘Who’s there?’ You asked semi-terrified while you looked around.

‘Me hahaha sorry I couldn’t sleep! You go back to bed!’

It was Jong Dae.

Jong Dae stood up from the couch to reveal himself, however his back was turned. He acted out as if he was stretching.

Even though you were sleepy, it didn’t mean you were stupid.

You knew this boy long enough to know something wasn’t right.

‘What’s wrong?’ You muttered feeling your protective instincts turn on without realisation.

You stepped closer towards him as he quickly brushed away something from his face.

‘Oh nothing really! I just wanted to get better Wi-fi signal because I couldn’t sleep and I didn’t want to wake the others up, but it’s fi-‘

He nearly flinched upon the abrupt touch.

You’d appeared out of nowhere in front of him, squinting from the darkness, close to Jong Dae’s face; witnessing the tears that slid down his cheeks freely since no one would see at this time of night.

You were shocked by the tears.

Since when had Jong Dae ever cried?

This boy was pure sunshine and yet…

Here he was, sitting in the dark and crying, unable to fall asleep because of something…

‘Don’t you ever-‘ You cupped Jong Dae’s cheeks, pushing down the grey hoodie that stood up to try and cover his face.

‘-sit by yourself and hurt alone-‘ You softly brushed the tears from Jong Dae’s cheeks as he sniffled silently, staring back at you in awe.

‘-and tell me it’s nothing Kim Jong Dae.’ You ordered. Your heart hurt from seeing the tears that had been spilled.

You pulled his sleeve to join you on the sofa, you were too tired to keep standing.

‘What’s wrong?’ You asked, your voice softer than before, you wanted to soothe Jong Dae the only way you knew how; by being there.

Jong Dae wiped his face harshly with the back of his sleeve and looked down at his toes.

‘I’m scared about being in China…’ He mumbled feeling embarrassed for saying it. His curved lips that always looked as if they were smiling were turned into an evident frown.

‘Why are you scared?’ You asked confused, you patted his back to comfort him. It was weird, usually Jong Dae was the one comforting you, not the other way round.

‘Because…because I know hardly any Chinese and…and I’m going to miss out on everything here and...I know I’m not going to fit in.’ He said angrily wiping the sudden emergence of new tears.

‘Jong Dae listen to me; you are not alone. You have Minseok who will feel just as scared; you have to take care of each other. And Jong Dae, don’t forget you have the other boys – when have they ever made you feel alienated or alone, huh?’

Jong Dae reflected on your words. You were right; he had Minseok and he had 4 other boys who would gladly help him out if he was stuck.

‘And you know it’s not like you’ll never come back to Korea, I’m so sure you will be coming back, I will make sure I find out and I’ll let you know. I promise you, you won’t have as hard a time as you think. Think of this as an adventure; you want to sing, so just sing in China. It’ll be fine!’ You smiled encouragingly. Jong Dae finally looked at you with a sad expression.

‘But what about Baekhyun? I’m going to miss him…and I know that fool will miss me.’ He moped almost whining at the end.

‘That’s why Skype was made, and Kakao talk, and texting.’ You giggled rubbing Jong Dae’s back.

‘We’re all going to miss you as much as you’ll miss us, but we can stay in contact, we will! We’ve got the group chat, and call me whenever you feel down ok? Promise??’ You said poking Jong Dae’s arm. That adorable feline-like smile appeared once more.  

‘Mmm yeah, promise. Aish I don’t know why I was so worried.’ Jong Dae chuckled as he sniffled one last time and wiped his face.

‘No I get it, I get it completely. Anyone in your shoes would be worried, but don’t forget you have support. No one wants to see you fail, and that won’t happen. Those Chinese girls are going to fall for you and your jaw line so hard, you won’t know why you were worried in the first place!’ You exclaimed slapping his back.

‘Aigoo no they won’t, have you seen how good looking everyone else is?’ Jong Dae grimaced.

‘Dude no, have you seen your face!? Do not tell me you don’t think you’re good looking because there’s no way you aren’t, I mean take it as a compliment that you got the shortest hair cut because you can actually pull it off with that bone structure oh my God!’ You exclaimed fanning your face over enthusiastically.  

‘Really?’ He asked dumbfounded.

‘Duh! I mean it whole-heartedly; you are gorgeoussss.’ You hissed at the end to accentuate your point, nodding aggressively towards Jong Dae.

‘If you like me so much, you can ask me out~’ Jong Dae cooed leaning towards you.

‘Aish don’t make me hit you, you’re too cute.’ You pinched Jong Dae’s cheek, loving that wonderful curved smile of his.  

‘I’m so jealous Baekhyun gets to have you and not me – he gets to talk to you like this all the time.’ Jong Dae pouted nudging you softly.

‘Like I said; Skype!’ You said resting your head on Jong Dae’s shoulder, feeling fatigue hit you once more.

‘Aigoo you don’t understand…’ Jong Dae pouted but you were too sleepy to notice.

‘What don’t I understand?’ You rhetorically asked.

‘Chin cha you don’t understand boys at all, but that’s what makes you so….cute’ He stopped himself, biting the inside of his cheek. But thankfully you were dozing off and didn’t hear.

‘Thank you for talking to me _____-ah.’ Jong Dae muttered lowly.

‘No problem Jong Dae….thank you for being you.’ You yawned before pulling Jong Dae closer. He lifted his arm around you and kept you knew while he rested back on the couch.

‘And if anyone is mean to you over in China, I’ll fly over and beat them up, you wait and see.’ You stated, your voice muffled as you had burrowed your face into Jong Dae’s shoulder.

‘Ok, ok.’ He muttered, his lips curving into a smile.

He prayed you couldn’t hear his pounding heart as he watched you closely fall into a deep slumber.

It was like seeing you for the first time:

Did you always look this…pretty?

His eyes widened as he soaked in all of your features that sadly, he wouldn’t be able to see again for a long time.

He knew he’d be back but…

But…would you be gone by then?

Would you be with someone else?

He shook his head, trying hard to flush out these silly thoughts.

But his pounding heart wouldn’t let him sleep just yet…

He had to steal a few more glances.

‘_____-ah.’ He whispered, making sure you were asleep.

There was no reply.

‘I’m going to miss you more than Baekhyun…’

==================

As soon as you woke up there was panic and despair; only amongst you and Junmyeon.

You had asked Kevin and Junmyeon as you darted around the dorms for help in making sure everyone was done on time. You split the responsibilities so Kevin took care of M and Junmyeon made sure K was ready.

Kevin stood smartly by the door with his group. They all looked sleepy, but at least they were bloody ready.

‘Kevin well done but where the hell are the others??’ You choked looking around in confusion as you lugged your suitcase out. All you saw was Kyungsoo wearing his black outfit by the door with wide eyes.

Of course it was only Kyungsoo ready. You slumped your shoulders.

‘Uh I think they’re all there.’ Kevin said pulling out his headphones sleepily and gesturing towards a room down the corridor.

‘Please Baekhyun could you just help Chanyeol out? That would be really nice.’ You heard Junmyeon practically beg s to get ready. Your heart sank for the poor guy.

‘Aish Hyung it’s Chanyeol’s mess, I’m not helping; that fool never helps me with my mess.’ Baekhyun exclaimed, you heard the humour in his voice.

‘And Jongin please wake up, please, you can sleep on the plane come on.’ Junmyeon asked politely.

No matter how much this was Jongin’s dream, no matter how badly he had worked to debut; it would always take a marching band to wake the boy up.

‘Kevin how the hell did you do it?’ You gasped turning to Kevin and his group.

‘Uh, what?’ Kevin asked looking up and down at himself in case you were talking about what he was wearing.

‘Get them all up and dressed?’ You asked counting the passports again.

‘I dunno I kinda just told them and this happened.’ Kevin shrugged still confused at your question.

You had a moment of sadness that it wasn’t M you would be stationed with:

A sleepy Zitao rested on Kevin’s shoulder with his Pikachu plushie while Yixing rested against the wall, listening to music with a mask on. Minseok leaned on Luhan’s shoulder and blinked heavily and slowly while Luhan excitedly buzzed knowing he was debuting today.

 ‘Oh my God like I’m so fired, this is the end – we were supposed to leave 5 minutes ago-‘

Jong Dae slid his arm around you and pulled you close to him as he snuggled into your neck sleepily.

‘-relax _____-ah, just go yell at them, they’ll get a move on~’ He yawned pulling the top of his hoodie over his head.

‘Uh, uh yeah, I guess I will.’ You blushed stupidly as you slinked off of Jong Dae and rushed to the boys’ dorms. You were surprised no one had woken you both up in the morning seeing as you two had fallen asleep in the living room.

 You remembered feeling so warm and comfortable; slowly opening your eyes. It was hardly the morning seeing as the sun wasn’t shining through the curtains, but you were thankful you had naturally woken up on time. You left Jong Dae to sleep for a few more minutes before you woke him up for some early breakfast. It was actually a very lovely morning…until the rest of these yahoos woke up.

‘Sehun please put a shirt on, they’re all waiting for us.’ You heard Junmyeon plead while you walked in.

‘Everyone get the hell out of this room, we are late because of – WOAH GET YOUR CLOTHES ON OH MY GOD!’ You yelled almost running out the room while Sehun turned to face you completely shirtless and Jongin was putting his trousers on...finally.

‘Aish you’re going to see this more frequently since you’re in charge of us, might as well get used to it.’ Sehun shrugged pulling his shirt on and hoodie.

Jongin would’ve blushed and fallen over if he wasn’t still in a sleep coma. All he did was cough, yawn, shrug and pull his pants up.

‘Sorry ____-ah they’ll be out in a minute, just stay at the door where it’s more decent.’ Junmyeon apologised.

‘Yep I’m out.’ You stated, getting annoyed at how Baekhyun and Chanyeol were in fits of giggles.

‘Five minutes and we’re out!’ You yelled down the corridor.

‘Yes bossss.’ Baekhyun exclaimed.

‘God please give me the strength to handle these boys without Kevin and the others.’ You prayed staring at the ceiling.

 

Finally everyone was dressed and ready.

You managed to meet up with the other managers, get these goofballs on a plane, and fly to China.

You would’ve hung out with the M boys and make the most out of your last few moments together, but the exhaustion of having 2 hours sleep meant you conked out before the plane even took off.

You woke up as the plane began to jerk due to turbulence….and because you heard fits of giggles in front of you.

‘Wha-what?’ You coughed wiping your mouth in case you had drooled in your deep slumber. You almost forgot you were on a plane.

‘Aigoo ______, chin cha you looked so cute when you sleep.’ Tao purred as he watched you over his airplane seat.

‘Wh-no I don’t.’ You wafted his comment away, re-adjusting your seatbelt and looking around.

Minseok still looked exhausted resting on Luhan’s shoulder on the right. Baekhyun and Chanyeol shared headphones in front as Chanyeol looked out the window and Baekhyun dozed off. Jong Dae was on his phone next to you while Yixing slept next to him, his tangled headphones in a mess by his ear. Junmyeon looked incredibly nervous while memorising his Chinese lines over and over again to Kyungsoo who by the looks of it, had plugged his headphones in to drown out his leader. Jongin finally started to look nervous the more awake he became whereas Sehun looked increasingly more relaxed. He stuffed his and Jongin’s complimentary peanuts into his mouth all in one go, asking the air stewardess if they had more food. Kevin was talking seriously with manager Kim next to Tao who continued to watch you blissfully.

‘I took some photos of you sleeping, it was too cute.’ Tao purred showing you his phone.

‘NO YOU DELETE THOSE OH GROSS THEY ALL LOOK BAD.’ You moaned watching your stupid self with slumped shoulders, resting your head against the side of the seat.

‘Oh for goodness sake Jong Dae.’ You hissed seeing Jong Dae do ‘V’ signs next to you as you slept.

‘Oh and here’s some with me!’ Tao exclaimed showing you how he’d angled himself so both of you were in the picture.

‘Uhhhh.’ You moaned rubbing your forehead.

‘Don’t worry I posted it on the group so everyone will be able to see.’ He smiled triumphantly.

‘Why do you hate me?’ You mumbled. But you couldn’t help but smile a little. You were going to miss this whining wushu kid.

‘What, you look cute, doesn’t she look cute when she sleeps Duizhang?’ Tao asked to back up his argument.

‘Wh-what? Oh, yeah.’ Kevin agreed before talking with the manager once more.

‘Duizhang agrees and he looks so bad when he sleeps.’ Tao said nodding his head and smiling. Kevin didn’t hear thank goodness.

‘Fine fine, how long until we land?’ You asked checking your phone.

‘I think they said an hour.’ Tao replied watching you become more alert.

Someone tapped you on the shoulder;

‘Let’s swap please.’

It was Kyungsoo.

He stood in front of you with headphones in looking annoyed.

‘What, why, what’s wrong?’ You asked confused as Tao pouted, annoyed you would have to move.

‘Junmyeon’s annoying me because he’s scared of the turbulence.’ Kyungsoo said gesturing towards Junmyeon who was asking the flight attendant for some water as he began to sweat profusely.

‘I thought rich boy would be used to flying seeing as his family probably owns a jet or something.’ Jong Dae mumbled before turning back to his phone.

Tao burst out laughing but held it back as soon as Kyungsoo glared at him.

‘Ah ok, I’ll check he’s alright.’ You said undoing your belt and stranding up.

‘Thanks.’ Kyungsoo said appreciatively while he sat down in your seat.

‘Kyungsoo do you want to play a game?’ Tao asked merrily.

‘No.’ you heard him reply as he popped his headphones in, already regretting changing seats.

========

‘Hey Junmyeon.’ You said getting into Kyungsoo’s seat and buckling your belt.

‘Oh, hey _____-ah, um I think Kyungsoo’s sitting next to me-‘

‘-Nope he’s…a bit busy so I’m here, I heard you don’t like turbulence, are you alright?’ You asked realising Junmyeon looked a little worse for wear.

‘Oh no, I’m alright thanks, it’s nothing I just – AH.’ The plane jerked up and down, causing Junmyeon to gasp in fright. He clung onto his cup of water the flight attendant had brought him.

‘It’s ok, it’s alright. We’ve only got a bit of the journey left. Do you not want to listen to some calming music or anything?’ You asked concerned.

‘Oh no I’m fine, it’s nothing really-AH.’ The plane had jerked again and Junmyeon almost jumped in his seat feeling nauseous.

‘Ok well look; hold my hand if you’re nervous, here.’ You offered your hand politely, giving him an encouraging smile.

‘Uh, it’s fine, I’m ok, you don’t have to-‘ You didn’t notice Junmyeon’s cheeks flush as you shook your head;

‘-It’s fine, squeeze my hand if it makes you feel better.’ You assured Junmyeon who stuttered, staring at you wide-eyed. Were you being weird?

‘Or you don’t have to it’s fine…’ You mumbled feeling yourself get embarrassed as Junmyeon became more awkward.  

‘No, no it’s fine, it’s fine, thanks a lot!’ He exclaimed holding onto your hand and appreciating the entwinement.

You could’ve sworn you felt jealous glares behind as Junmyeon’s eyes flashed behind you, but you didn’t bother to check.

‘Here, this’ll calm you down too.’ You took out a wet wipe and dabbed it onto Junmyeon’s hot forehead.

‘Th-thank you, ahhh that feels nice.’ He should have closed his eyes and rested back in his seat, but Junmyeon continued to watch you with unblinking eyes, his red cheeks were now evident. 

‘Yeah you are really burning up.’ You stated shocked.

‘Uh there’s no reason for that! I mean it’s just…turbulence…hahahah.’ He flashed an oldie smile which just made you giggle as you shook your head.

‘Were you memorising lines for the showcase?’ You asked changing the subject as Junmyeon’s stare made you feel nervous.

‘Yeah I’m trying to memories my lines but gosh I’m just not that good at Chinese.’ He replied nervously laughing. 

‘Well I can help you since I know some.’ You offered taking the wipe off of Junmyeon’s forehead.

‘Oh thank you that would be great, Um it’s just these lines-‘ Junmyeon pulled out some flash cards and opened the fold out table in front of you.

‘It’s just this word I don’t understand, and this sentence I can’t even pronounce it well.’ Junmyeon said pointing at different sentences.

‘Ah ok, I’ve got a pen on

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter