Coincidences

Living the Dream~ Working with Exo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

‘B-BEST FRIEND!?’ You gasped out loud. Jongin took a step back, confused by your adamant surprise.

‘Yeah, what’s the big deal-‘

‘-_____, is that you?’ Taemin called your name over Jongin and you instantly jolted. As stiff as cardboard, you watched while Taemin came to stand beside Jongin. His auburn hair contrasted delectably againdt Jongin’s darker tones.

‘You know _____?’ Jongin asked aloofly while he kept Monggu in his arms. Taemin had picked up the other dog (you’d heard him call it Janggu). Janggu nuzzled himself into Taemin’s arms contently.

It was that awful question, and the answer behind it that kept your pulse rate escalating as you fought to stare at your feet sheepishly.

You should have known they were friends. And you were a fool to think no one in SM was connected.

‘Yeah, we met at the SM party a while back.’ Taemin said it so easily. You just begged and begged whatever being to not let Jongin put two and two together. They evidently hadn’t discussed you, so perhaps that was a positive…or a negative…

‘Mm.’ Jongin nodded, looking very calm and normal…

You nodded your head in agreement with no one, Taemin however smiled at you brightly. Why did he always have to look so damn happy? You looked away and tucked a loose strand of hair behind your ear.

‘Anyways, I’ll drop off Janggu inside and see you tomorrow for the video shoot.’ Taemin moved to the door and opened it to let the puppy inside. Jongin followed suit.

It was only you who had remained deathly still.

‘See you.’ Jongin called out behind him as he walked over the threshold.

Finally, you realised you needed to move.

‘See you tomorrow.’ You said politely, unable to really say more at the moment, the shock hadn’t died down yet.

‘Actually ____-ah.’ Taemin said quietly, stopping you before you’d taken a step into the apartment.

‘Yes?’ You churped nervously.

Taemin looked for once looked…slightly…was that anxiety? You pursed your lips together apprehensively.

‘Well I was wondering…’ He combed his fingers through his hair and looked away for a moment as he spoke; ‘Perhaps if after the Music Video shoot tomorrow, if you were free-‘

‘-____-ah! We’ve got some drinks, Baekhyun was dared to down a whole can of-Oh.’ India had appeared from the threshold while you stood by it and grabbed your sleeve. It was only then she had caught sight of Taemin.

India then mimicked exact same look you had on when you’d first met him.

‘T-T-Taem-‘

‘-Nice to meet you, are you a friend of ____-ah’s? You were at the photoshoot today.’ Taemin extended his hand in greeting. India took it without blinking, staring at him in awe, utterly gobsmacked for a few moments, until she snapped out of it-‘

‘-WOULD YOU LIKE TO COME INSIDE WE’RE HAVING DRINKS.’

You stared at India in blatant horror, WORST IDEA EVER.

‘Oh no it’s ok, I want to have an early night before the run through tomorrow, thanks for the offer, perhaps next time?’ Taemin offered politely. India nodded, forgetting she’d probably be back in England by that time.

‘Responsible.’ She sighed, bowing politely a farewell to Taemin before he too bowed to you.

‘Definitely more responsible than someone I need to go yell at.’ India murmured under her breath.

‘See you tomorrow.’ Taemin said to the both of you.

You waved him a goodbye.

And died.

As India grabbed you inside the apartment and shut the door.

‘I WASN’T PREPPED TO MEET HIM PROPERLY!!!’ She squealed looking embarrassed.

‘Trust me, I didn’t know he was coming either now stop yelling please.’ You sighed, shoving a finger in your ear.

‘Wait what-‘

‘-He’s Jongin’s best friend.’

And you didn’t understand India’s expression at those words. She was shocked, but it was as if she was beginning to figure things out – what those things were, you hadn’t the faintest.

‘Well I’m going to see Kyungsoo, he texted me before I came back to go to his room straight away.’ You mimicked his authoratively low voice.

In the opposite direction, you could hear the parlour games starting. Perhaps a drink wouldn’t be too bad afterwards…maybe it’d alleviate the terrible feeling sinking you.

‘I’m coming in.’ You stated as you entered Kyungsoo’s shared room with…

Good, Jongin wasn’t in.

But one of the puppies had walked past you out the door. You stared at it aloofly.

‘He’s in the shower, said he’d be in there a while.’ Kyungsoo muttered, noticing your expression. You closed the door behind you.

‘What was so wrong that I had to come?’ You said, choosing the defensive route, it helped.

Kyungsoo got up from the bed he was laying on and tossed his phone behind him.

‘No point, already happened.’

You looked back at him and wanted to sigh. You were done with crypticness for one night.

‘Please, please don’t be like this right now.’ You said quietly. 

No. Why. Don’t get…don’t get-

‘I’ve had a long day and I just…I just don’t want to have to deal with…’

With mind games or riddles. I just want…I just want someone…someone to-

Kyungsoo had come close enough to place a hand on your head.

You looked back at him aloofly.

Kyungsoo’s jaw clenched as he stared at you seriously.

You parted your lips, but were unable to say anything. Instead, Kyungsoo dropped his hand and hugged you.

The shock was evident on your face as you remained silent.

 ‘I’m sorry I wasn’t there for you.’ Kyungsoo uttered.

‘And I’m sorry we haven’t talked.’ He added apologetically. You remained silent, but nodded in equal disappointment.

‘He’s an idiot.’ Kyungsoo stated, and you knew exactly who he was talking about.

 ‘We both are.’ You replied, feeling your throat tighten.

I’m just tired, that’s all. Emotions stir when you’re exhausted.

But perhaps…perhaps I just really…really really missed this.

Missed you.

‘I am too.’ He whispered.

You didn’t know what he meant by that. But there was no point in asking.

‘Yes, you are.’ You agreed.

You knew he’d smile at that.

And so he did.

‘Now let’s go. The others are drinking and chatting.’ You said, rubbing your eyes and walking to the door

‘I’m staying. You can go and join those fools. I’m going to be on my phone and sleep peacefully without a hangover tomorrow.’ Kyungsoo concluded.

‘Fine. You’re just as responsible as He is. Annoying.’ You tutted while closing the door behind you.

You waited for a few moments. Finally it had clicked. In that moment.

You had been denied Kyungsoo’s company…so why deny Kevin of yours?

I miss him.

And I think….he misses me.

Let’s go back to being us.

Knowing there was something you had to do, you pulled out your phone from your pocket and texted-

‘Hey Kevin, sorry for the late reply. I hope you’ve been well. Things are busy here, but there’s a big hole you guys have left behind. I hope the rest of you come to fill it soon!’

You bit your lip for a moment before defiantly pressing ‘send’.

---

He’d walked in, but you hadn’t followed.

Taemin was outside with you.

Stop, stop panicking. Stop worrying.

But…they’d met at the SM party.

He would’ve known, would’ve seen you two meet.

Or at least Taemin would have told him about it.

…but.

Perhaps Taemin really didn’t know. Why would he? Jongin hadn’t told Taemin an ounce of his problems when it came to…you.

Even as he played it cool, shirked off the meeting as nothing…

He felt something inside him stir…panic. Panic because…

Taemin didn’t smile like that for anyone…not since…not since…her.

Jongin felt himself act before he could think, he’d already almost entered his room but he wheeled around on the spot-

‘Yah Jongin.’ It wasn’t a welcoming voice, but it was…your friend. India.

‘Do you know where _____ is? Oh! It’s the dog! How come you have-‘

‘-It’s my dog. India, _____’s outside, she has my other dog Janggu if you want to-‘

‘-Already gone.’ She cut in, turning her back and heading to the door. Jongin stood still for a moment, waiting to hear India cut in-

Before going into his room. Jongin breathed out a heavy sigh.

‘What near scrape have you gotten out of now?’ Kyungsoo gruffed from his bed.

Jongin ignored Kyungsoo, remaining calm.

‘It’s nothing.’ Jongin stated, taking clothes out from a draw and looking around the room.

‘Where’s Taemin? You said he’d be coming.’ Kyungsoo asked curiously while he texted.

‘He’s…going home.’ Jongin replied, rummaging through another draw.

Kyungsoo remained silent for another moment;

‘Where’s ____?’ He asked finally.

Jongin shut the drawer a little harder than necessary.

‘She’s in. I’m heading out for a shower.’ And with that, Jongin left the room.

It didn’t take Kyungsoo long to piece it all together…

But he couldn’t understand why there was a puppy in his room.

=========

Jongin hadn’t showered yet.

He’d just stared at himself in the mirror, leaving the hot water running behind him.

Steam filled the room while he looked down at his clenched hands.

Snap out of it.

Before he could come to his senses, someone knocked the door.

‘It’s occupied.’ Jongin said loudly.

‘Open this door now.’ Someone called out.

India.

She sounded slightly irritated.

Just slightly…

Jongin sighed and opened the door;

‘You know I’m about to show-‘

‘Why did you tell me to go out there!?’ Her cheeks were flushed.

Jongin’s eyebrows raised. He was completely caught off guard when he shouldn’t have been.

‘Because you wanted to see-‘

‘Cut the crap.’ She shoved her hands into her pockets, probably afraid she’d strangle him if her hands were free.

Jongin stared back at the girl.

‘You wanted me to interrupt.’ Jongin looked at her shoulder, unable to stare her in the eye.

‘This isn’t about you. You have to stop this.’ India ordered, biting her bottom lip.

Jongin stared back at her, unable to say a word;

‘You cannot be selfish. This is about her. You want her to be happy right?’

Jongin gritted his teeth and nodded. His shoulders slumped.

‘Of course.’ He uttered quietly. The truth was he couldn’t help it. He couldn’t help acting this way.

‘You need to stay away from her. You made your decision. You can’t not have her, and expect no one else to try.’

He knew there was panic on his face, abruptly, Jongin looked away.

‘I was just trying to help her, she doesn’t know…’ …..what happened to Taemin. What’ll happen to her….

‘She’s not a child. And besides, you think you’re helping her out Jongin…but you’re not.’

Jongin looked back at India. I’m trying to stop what will happen before it occurs. It happened with Taemin…and it would happen to me…I can’t…I can’t.

‘You can’t have her close like that, and keep her away. It’s not fair to her-’ Jongin gritted his teeth so hard his jaw could snap. He wanted to so badly tell her but-

‘-Or to you.’ She added. For the first time, there was something like understanding behind India’s eyes. Her tone had softened, her eyebrows relaxed.

It’ll destroy her…it’ll destroy me…if we ever…

‘You two are different, too different.’ She said more softly. Jongin agreed, but in a different way. 

‘Perhaps you’ll kick yourself for not having the guts to go for it. But at least have the guts to stay away.’ Jongin looked back at India as if he’d been kicked in the stomach.

‘And she’ll be with someone who won’t have it in themselves to hurt her.’ And with that, India

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter