The End - Chanyeol

Living the Dream~ Working with Exo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Now Park Chanyeol was at first written to be a sidekick to Baekhyun’s situation. But of course, as stories progress, things change. And at first it was a simple relationship between the two of you.

Chanyeol started the story off as childish, irresponsible, and perhaps even to a certain degree, an anti-hero of the story. It was something he had in common with Baekhyun. Elitist, superficial, narrow-minded – it was how he started, but it for sure wasn’t how he ended.

And that was thanks to you in part.

------

It was New Year’s Eve and none of the Exo-K boys were able to go back to their families for the short-lived holiday. Nonetheless, a celebration was held at the dorm. The living room was filled with music, balloons, drinks and food. Baekhyun had already started drinking one beer too many and was singing loudly, snuggling you under one arm when all you wanted to do was enjoy the ice-cream cake you’d ordered from Baskin Robbins. Jongin cheered and Junmyeon nodded, clapping along to Sehun’s drunken dancing while Kyungsoo remained stone faced by your side, contemplating if he should go to bed early before you coaxed him into having a spoon of cake.

------

Chanyeol had stepped out. Just for a moment. He was relatively sober but at a point where musing and contemplation resounded through him. He’d pushed the thick, heavy curtain aside and opened the sliding door that led out onto the balcony. The coolness of December shocked him every time he stepped out.

The rush of cold air filled his lungs.

The music and lights inside grew quaint behind him.

No one would know he was here.

He didn’t really know why he came out, but somehow it felt like the thing he needed to do. Pulling up his black turtleneck until it almost touched his ears, Chanyeol rubbed his hands together and stared at the moon in the sky. If the alcohol wasn’t warming him, he would have felt chilled to the bone. Far out, apartment blocks across the way had their lights on. The city was alive and would only get more vivid when the clock finally struck midnight.

The boy folded his arms and leaned on the balcony railing. The cold metal did little to warm him. For a few moments it was silent and Chanyeol found himself contemplating as a faint, memory as cozy as the alcohol coursing through him came into his conscience. He found himself playing with the small artifact in his jean pocket, soaking up the memory entirely…

Was it a year ago? Was it two? He didn’t quite know…

Chanyeol had been fighting back the tears as he stood in the practice room, alone and miserable. The practice room clock was about to strike midnight. Everyone else had gone home to celebrate, and instead, Chanyeol was punishing himself with practice.

Tears threatened to spill-

-‘Chanyeol?’

His head snapped around, immediately turning away from the voice he recognised as yours, trying abysmally to rub his eyes dry.

‘Chanyeol, what are you doing here all alone?’ You asked curiously. ‘Nothing…well, just practicing. What about you.’ He replied, trying to buy time to mop up his face.  

‘Some of the staff had an impromptu briefing…why are you practicing so late?’ You asked. ‘No reason I just…lost track of time.’ He replied, trying to sound normal regardless how thick his throat felt. ‘But Chanyeol it’s New Year’s eve...you should be celebrating.’ You said concernedly. ‘Yeah, I know – I know but…I’ve got to practice, that’s all.’ He prayed you’d leave, hoping you wouldn’t see him like this.

‘Chanyeol, are you ok?’ Your voice called out behind him, but it was closer this time round. Nonetheless, he stuck a hand out, urging you away; ‘I’m fine really, just want to practice.’ Chanyeol tried to bury himself in the corner of the practice room, pulling his cap far down his face. It was a half-truth: Yes, he had come to practice more, but Chanyeol knew it wouldn’t make a difference, his skills were as stagnant as anything.

‘You can go back.’ He waved you away hastily.

‘Come with me?’ You asked kindly, nonetheless Chanyeol shook his head. ‘Fine, well then I’ll stay too.’ You responded, folding your arms determinedly. ‘Please don’t. It’s late.’ He wanted to be sad without feeling ashamed of doing so. ‘I’m not even remotely tired.’ You lied incredulously. ‘Besides, you might be fine being alone, but what kind of friend would YOU be to leave me alone on New Year’s Eve?’ You argued. Chanyeol turned around just slightly, hoping you couldn’t see the redness around his eyes. ‘Look, if you don’t want me to watch, I’ll just go on my phone…but I am staying.’ You moved to sit on the floor, your back against the practice room wall, facing the wall-length mirror.

Chanyeol sniffed; ‘Are you going to tell me this is manager duties?’ Chanyeol side-eyed you while he lifted the cap he wore and combed his fingers through his hair. ‘I can if you want me to.’ You responded in a sarcastic tone, your lips pouted for added effect. Chanyeol tutted, rubbing his eyes once more and turned to face the mirror. He stood still for a moment, readying himself to dance, but nothing came to him. He’d danced in front of countless of people, but…why did ONE person somehow make him feel so self-conscious?

-‘Do I look like someone who would judge when I’m so decidedly left-footed myself?’ You asked unabashedly. Chanyeol clenched his fists, nonetheless he shook his head and readjusted his cap. ‘Somethings wrong isn’t it?’ you said softly without judgement in your tone. Chanyeol pursed his lips guiltily. ‘I lied.’ You said out loud.

‘I didn’t have a meeting.’ You said, cheeks puffed out. ‘I knew you were upset when you left the apartment today, but I didn’t know what to say…’ You added abashedly.

‘But I’m here now Chanyeol, and not as a manager…as a friend.’  

Chanyeol stared straight at your reflection, your eyes met; ‘-It’s just…I…I read some fan comments.’ He responded weakly, shifting the weight between his feet. You tapped the floor beside you, gesturing him to join you. Chanyeol caved almost immediately and sat down, pulling the cap down lower over his reddened face. ‘Chanyeol you know you shouldn’t read them.’ You sighed. ‘I know, I couldn’t help it. I thought it might be good…to know what the fans were thinking…’ He said regrettably. ‘What did they say?’ You asked in a quiet voice. Chanyeol pursed his lips together, holding his breath before answering-   

‘They said I couldn’t dance.’

You in air through your teeth. The words began to come out easily while his pain escalated: ‘They said I look like a crab the way I flail around, and I’m so gangly I look like a noodle…’ He slowed down, staring at his open hands while he sat, long legs spread out before him.

 ‘...and that I can’t sing, and that I should quit.’

You stared at his face, watching him fight back tears that threatened to spill down his cheeks. ‘It made me panic.’ Chanyeol scrubbed his face, still trying to hide from you. ‘It’s been a year and…what if I still ?’ The words were muffled in his hands, as if he were trying to catch them before slipping out.

‘…What If I haven’t changed at all?’ Chanyeol’s hands began to shake while he continued to speak; ‘And I’m stuck like this forever?’ The words came out in a strangled half-sob as panic rose to the very top of the boy’s throat. ‘What if I’m always going to be just like this? Never moving forward, never improving and-‘

-your hands swiftly clasped his large, trembling ones. ‘-Chanyeol, no.’ He stopped talking and continued to stare at his hands, refusing to stop trembling.

‘That’s not you.’ You held your grip firmly. ‘And that’s not going to be you…’ You shifted where you sat; ‘You know sometimes I hear you singing in your room and…I’ve seen you dance since before you debuted all the way till now.’ Your cheeks turned red and Chanyeol looked at you uneasily. ‘What I’m trying to say is Chanyeol, you’re doing great.’  Your hands felt firm and reassuring in his.  ‘Chanyeol, you are great.’ Your reassuring smile helped melt away his unease. ‘If you think otherwise, then you’re simply wrong.’ Your warm hands stopped his from trembling, and that warm smile seemed to slow down his jittering heart.

‘That talent is only going to grow…you don’t see it yet because who can see over a mountain when they’re climbing it?’ Your smile grew softer. Park Chanyeol sat in silence. Bewildered, his tears no longer threatened to overflow. You sighed;

‘It’s such a shame no one else gets to see this.’ You tapped his hand fondly. He looked at you quizzically.

‘The raw Park Chanyeol. Someone who worries, who cries and lets it out….’ You moved, resting your head on his shoulder; ‘…I like it when you are who you are.’  

‘And I’m sure there are plenty of fans, plenty of girls who’d like it too.’ You raised an eyebrow, looking at him through his reflection. You

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter