An Unexpected Return

Living the Dream~ Working with Exo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

He stood and stared. An overwhelming sensation inside him kept him rooted to the spot for what felt like eternity while he watched you watch him back in synched perplexity.

Along with your raised eyebrows, a smile bloomed across your lips from cheek to cheek.

That small movement, it sparked his bones. Kyungsoo closed the gap between you both and threw his arms around you.

He shut his eyes tightly;  

This scent…memory did not match it, his brain had done no justice to it at all.

Kyungsoo didn’t say a word, not one…yet still, your head nodded in reply to the unspoken words.

However, his eyes shot open and looked around. The stares of the others ruined the moment. Baekhyun’s scrutinising expression forced Kyungsoo to let you go instantly.

‘Yes, I’m back, not for long, but I’m back.’ You blushed, your cheeks rosy and lovely. You straightened yourself out, pushing your hair back from your face and averting your gaze from Kyungsoo’s for a moment before gesturing to the others; 

‘As I’m sure you all know, I’m here until Luhan’s filming is done.’

‘What filming? Why is Luhan here?’ Junmyeon asked with a curious expression.

‘He’s in Maxstep. It’s some SM dance group. I was told by management we would be staying here until the filming’s all wrapped up.’ You replied, taking out your phone out from your pocket and tapping on Luhan’s carry-on standing in the foyer.

‘Who else is in it?’ Baekhyun asked surprised.

‘I don’t know.’

Kyungsoo continued watching you;

You had no clue.

He clenched his jaw.

Something inside him, a slight tinge of an emotion he hated had stopped him from telling you then and there.

He was surprised you hadn’t asked where Jongin was, perhaps the distraction of everyone else’s presence had kept you busy.

‘So once this is done you’re going back?’ Chanyeol asked looking slightly deflated.

‘Yes.’  You nodded grimly.  

‘But at least we get some time together.’ Baekhyun rested his head on your shoulder as if it was the most natural thing in the world.

‘Exactly. Oh actually, I’m going to have to go you guys, I’ve got to go back and help the crew and all that. I just came here to bring the bags.’ You declared while your phone began to buzz and ring with messages no doubt from management.

‘-Yah guys Kyungsoo just ran off! Can you-‘

Sehun stopped talking mid-step, and so did you. Your mouth fell open at the same moment, but for very different reasons; You’d almost forgotten him. Internally you were kicking yourself for not asking where he had been sooner.

Nonetheless upon seeing him, you felt yourself smile a Cheshire cat’s smirk just for him. Yet Sehun’s face fell.

The cup he held in his hand dropped to the floor. ‘Yah you-‘ Someone hissed in the background, but Sehun ignored them.

His eyes blinked harshly twice and three times in disbelief. You couldn’t help but notice Sehun’s broader frame and his slight increase in height. How long had you really been gone? His brown hair thickly rested above his head, the mole on his neck sliding up and down while he gulped, perhaps trying to speak.

 ‘-You’re…y’you’re.’ Sehun’s lips puckered and pursed, his nostrils flared and retracted.

Panic begun to seep in, those were the tell-tale signs before-

Sehun’s eyes glistened, water forming and threatening to spill around the bottom rims of his eyes.

‘Y-y-y-y-y-you’re-‘ The effort to try and finish his words died in a sob that ripped his throat the moment his chest had thumped against yours. He’d easily crossed the distance between you with no more than a stride.

Sehun violently shook, sniffling as he hugged you tightly, his hand placed against your back, pushing you closer towards him.

‘Yaaaaahhhh look at our maknae crying.’ Baekhyun tutted while Chanyeol shook his head wistfully.

Junmyeon thumped the both of them, hard.

 

=====================

 

Luhan sat still in the makeup chair feeling tense.

It had been a while since he’d heard everyone in the premise speak Korean. Thankfully his language skills were better than the rest of the Chinese members (due to adamant practice with Minseok and you of course), it would take some getting used to. His mind wandered while the makeup artist dipped her brush in some powder and smudged it on his eyelids. Who else was in Maxstep? How would this stay go? How would it be when he met the others again? And how were the hello’s for you…where were you now?...why did Minseok always talk in riddles?

Luhan sighed, much to the artist’s dismay while she told him to keep still. He bowed in apology, which rattled her further, so Luhan remained dead still.

The door opened and closed behind him.

‘Jongin’s here so we’ll do his makeup after Luhans.’

Luhan opened his eyes and immediately cranked his neck to the side.

Jongin.

He was wearing a futuristic outfit evidently for the shoot, his brown hair obviously hadn’t been styled yet and he wasn’t wearing makeup.

But for a moment Luhan twinged with jealousy. Jongin wasn’t even ready and his appearance screamed idol.

‘Luhan?’ Jongin asked and exasperated at the same time.

Luhan stared back at him gobsmacked;

‘Jongin, you’re in maxstep?’ The makeup artist moved onto Luhan’s lips, dabbing some lip balm on top. Luhan ignored her, staring back at Jongin wide-eyed.

‘Yeah I am, and you’re here.’ Jongin replied equally as stunned while he stood by the door like a lemon.

‘You’re done, Jongin, come sit here.’ The makeup artist ordered, pointing at the chair Luhan began to vacate.

‘Oh, wait sorry, I just need the toilet then I’ll come back.’ Jongin apologised, bowing before opening the door again.

‘Sorry Luhan I’ll catch up with you again, but welcome back.’ And with that, Jongin walked out.

‘Well I’ll go upstairs for a moment and I’ll be back down.’ The lady stated, rolling up her sleeves and readjusting her staff badge before leaving Luhan alone in the changing room.

He barely had enough time to even take out his phone before the door opened;

‘Knock knock.’

A stupid smile pushed against his lips while Luhan saw you walk in. You stopped and straightened, looking around.

‘No one’s here?’ You asked, evidently confused.

‘Makeup artist went upstairs. How was it? Saying hi?’ Luhan asked more intrigued to know how that went.

You chuckled sheepishly, rubbing the back of your head;

‘It went well, some tears even.’

‘Tears?’ Luhan gasped.  You nodded smugly in reply.

‘What can I say I’m hella special.’ You joked, Luhan didn’t argue.

‘Actually-‘ You swayed your hips from side to side absentmindedly;

‘Should I speak in Chinese so we still feel like we’re in China?’ You pointed at Luhan with your phone, fumbling with it between your fingers. Luhan perked up in surprise by the question…

‘No it’s…’ Luhan lifted his hands slightly waving them. But he lowered them slowly, looking down at the floor…

The sudden realisation of how you were trying to make him feel more at home…

‘Maybe from time to time.’ He uttered shamefacedly.

A sudden urge to protect Luhan bloomed through you, looking at his eyebrows creasing, his eyes staring off into the distance…

You giggled, grinning back at him.

He was so lost, and yet he was older than you. He was so innocent, and yet more mature than you’d ever be…and yet-

In this moment, it felt as if it was you and him against the world…a feeling only one other person had made you feel before.

You hadn’t realised you’d leaned in closer to him.

Luhan was still looking at the floor, unaware by the minimised gap caused by you.

His angelic face, it seemed to pardon the crazy moments he’d put you through, it made you forgive the ridiculous feelings he’d made you feel…what lay behind that face?

Luhan looked up, and you were still for a split second. That horrible buzzing feeling ricocheted throughout you. You stood up and stiffened, no longer wanting to be so close to someone in that point in time.

‘I’m off then, got about a hundred things to do, I’ll see you in the studio.’  You suggested, walking out the door as quick as you could.  

You didn’t h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter