Basketball

Living the Dream~ Working with Exo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

‘Shouldn’t we just practice your Chinese?’ Kevin moaned, leaning back on his bed and stretching his long legs. You slapped both limbs so he’d move up for you.

‘Mandarin practice after, we’ve got to get you prepared for this interview tomorrow.’ You plopped yourself down next to him while Kevin squirmed for a few seconds before sighing and moving to sit next to you, his almost golden hair fell in front of his face while he dipped his long frame forward and then eased back.

The others didn’t need to be as well versed in the etiquette of interview-giving because Kevin was the leader of M; it was his job to steer the conversation and answer the most intense questions, and it was up to you to prepare him.

Yixing who shared a room with Kevin was out doing some extra dance practice, because that was just how Yixing worked, you would obviously scold him for it later for tiring himself out, along with warning him to pretty much keep his mouth shut about spilling M’s secrets as he frequently did in talk shows without knowing.

‘But the deal was we practice Chinese every day.’ Kevin once again attempted to argue.

You pouted at him and shook your head.

‘And you specifically said if you don’t even feel like it, I have to force you….and don’t forget you’re interpreting tomorrow.’ Kevin stated, slowly, he tried to pull the pen and paper from your hands so he could begin jotting down Chinese characters.  

Ah , forgot I was interpreting – it was hard to hold down that evident frown creeping on your lips, but you shook your head firmly, pulling the paper from his fingers;

‘You, this, is more important at the moment and you know it. Now. Let’s just go in with the hard stuff straight away.’ You tapped your pen against Kevin’s snaking hand and shooed him away with the paper, instantly beginning to write down questions, Kevin sighed, looking defeated.

‘Ok, so - seeing as you’ve lived in Canada, did you do anything wild while living there?’ Before he could breath, you shoved the pen in Kevin’s face.

‘Uh.’ He mumbled, eyebrows raised.   

‘What are you doing?’ He asked, eyes darting from the pen and back to you while he leaned back.

‘Pressurising you, you need to get used to it.’ You replied, nodding with yourself in agreement.  Kevin stared at you like you were crazy, lifting a hand to his ear and subconsciously fiddling with his earing.

‘Well one time I was invited to a party-‘

‘-NO!’ your voice came out rougher than you intended, instigating Kevin shocked recoil. He clasped a finger to his lips, symbolising you needed to keep your voice down.

‘Sorry, I just mean, no. You do not give them the answer they want, you got to keep it all pg-13, remember, this is SM.’ It was a semi-ironic joke, which reminded you briefly of another joke you’d heard on a rooftop of a building…

‘Ok so…no mentioning of parties?’ His cheeks suddenly flared in embarrassment while he realised his blunder.

‘Nope, no mentioning of parties or drinking or anything that’ll look bad.’ You shook your head vehemently.

‘Ok, give me another one then.’ Kevin leaned in, starting to get into it. He crossed his legs on the bed, almost rocking back and forth while he waited.  

He passed the next two: 1. Do you go drinking a lot in the states?’ – ‘No, It wasn’t allowed and I was too busy studying.’

2. Would you ever date a fan? – ‘I’m not thinking about it too much as I want to just focus on work, perhaps I’d date a fan of my work.’

‘That was a great answer, keep it open and inviting, Manager Cheng said you guys have to lull the fans into thinking they’ve got a shot…which to be honest is pretty brutal.’ You mumbled the last part, twiddling your hair with two fingers.

‘Yeah, yeah it is.’ Kevin agreed, his forehead wrinkle creasing slightly while he thought deeply, possibly about a situation he hadn’t discussed with you before.

‘Ok, here’s a big one - have you ever dated in the past?’ You knew they’d ask that. They always asked that, if being obsessed with groups in the past didn’t let you know interviewers went straight to that question as soon as they could, you’d never been a true k-pop fan.

However, Kevin’s face dropped.

‘Yes.’

You were about to scold him, but Kevin continued. And this time, his eyes didn’t wander, didn’t move in a way to show he was thinking of ways to bend and mould the truth to suit the interview…

‘I’ve only had one.’ He said quietly.

‘You told me before…’ curiosity began to get the best of you while you lowered your pen and paper subconsciously. Kevin nodded his head slowly in remembrance.

‘I wasn’t good looking in high school, I was long and gangly, and I didn’t really know who I was…I just wanted to play basketball and keep my head down, maybe go pro one day.’ Kevin looked off far into the distance, past the two of you in his room and back to an unearthed memory;

‘She was in the same homeroom class as me. She was always nice to me and didn’t judge me.’ A small smile creeped up on his lips while he remembered.

‘Until I realised what I wanted to do, who I wanted to be.’ Kevin said while he played with the string of his hoodie.

‘I wanted to be a star, I dreamed of being famous. So when I told her I’d gotten past the auditions…she was happy about it…’ The smile on Kevin’s lips dropped;

‘But then we both realised what long distance would mean, and she wanted to go to Uni in California.’

‘So we broke up on Valentine’s day.’ Kevin let out a huffed sigh, looking down at the floor and contemplating...

‘Looking back now, it wasn’t love. It was just happiness that someone had accepted me, and I’ll always be grateful to her for that.’ His shoulders relaxed slightly, but he still looked at the grown, spilling his innermost thoughts, perhaps debating whether to say them or not…or letting his mind wonder.

‘But she didn’t understand me…she didn’t notice the little things…from bags I always carry to the moles on my ears.’ A small smile creeped up from his lips as Kevin tapped his ear lobe nostalgically, his eyes flickered up to yours, causing you to look away;  

‘You do realise you literally cannot say any of that. ANY.’ You breathed, trying to ignore a silly heat sprouting from your cheeks.  

‘I mean thanks for being honest, but like, you are so, so dead if any of that is known.’ You added, shaking your head loosely, subconsciously moving back while you continued to lecture;

‘But literally just say ‘No I haven’t.’ I think Luhan’s already taken the ‘they all broke up with me.’ Answer so for you, let’s just say you were too focused on…basketball?’ You pondered, clacking your pen against the page.

‘Oh, yeah I know.’ Kevin chuckled, rubbing the back of his neck. ‘I just felt like…explaining it to you, I won’t say that in the interview I promise.’

‘My boyfriend was the same.’ You sighed. If he’d spilled something so private, Kevin deserved a story in return;

‘He was nice to me…in the beginning.’ He really was, for a while.

‘I heard about what happened in London…I’m sorry it ended like that.’ Kevin said, blinking slowly.

‘Yeah…but it was good for me…to see him again. It reminded me of a lot of things…’ Your mind fluttered back to the memories that warmed you from the inside out. You’d never forget Kevin’s words, even back then…

‘…that I am special…’ You lifted your wrist and showed Kevin the black band around it. He looked at it, eyes lighting up, realising it was his own parting gift to you;

‘-I go in between gifts, so I felt like wearing this today, didn’t think I’d end up talking about it though.’ You chuckled, the irony of it all.  ‘Woah, woah wait, how has this become my interview? We’re supposed to be practicing for you! come on.’ You shook your head, trying to clear your mind and get back into practice. Kevin grinned but said ok. It wouldn’t just be the boys’ who would get into trouble for badly answered interview questions, your arse would be on the line too, and since you already most likely had a strike to your name, you didn’t feel like getting another one.

‘Here’s another; what about your parents? Do they approve of you being an idol?’ You asked while scanning the page.

‘Yeah my mum approves.’ Kevin said quietly.

‘And what about your dad?’ You scribbled, thinking of another question to ask.

You didn’t hear the silence that lasted a while until;

‘He’s not around.’ Kevin stated. Immediately you looked up, his eyes didn’t meet your gaze and instantly you knew you’d hit a nerve.  

‘Oh, oh sorry I-‘

‘-it’s ok. I’m sure they’d ask that.’ Kevin reassured you, but the grimace on your face grew deeper.

‘No they can’t, I’m going to write it down and tell Manager Li that question isn’t allowed at all. We can handle other questions but that’s irrelevant to your career so we’ll just end the interview if that’s even asked.’ You replied, instantly feeling protective.

‘Thank you.’ He almost whispered it. But the gratitude in his eyes made your heart squeeze for a moment;

‘Don’t mention it. I have to protect you the best I can…it’s my job.’ You grinned, nudging your shoulder against his, a small grin emerged in reply.

‘Ok so to sum up; no mentioning of past girlfriends – ‘I only had a high school crush, I got rejected. I enjoyed basketball at school.’ - The end.’ You stated, pointing at the piece of paper in front of you.

‘Can’t believe I have to help make up a whole past life.’ Kevin exasperated, combing his fingers through his hair.

‘I know; I didn’t even realise it…I guess were all in for more surprises along the road.’ It would’ve been a funny joke if it wasn’t so cynical.

‘Oh, anddddd you want to bridge the gap between China and Korea with your music.’ You pointed out, reading an e-mail sent to you from the staff. However, the made up sentences were cringey to read out, even Kevin grimaced.

‘Ok so that’s done, I guess Chinese can be practiced now…’ You said, folding your legs and sighing.

‘…orrrrrr we could call it a night since I’m exhausted.’ You added, feeling a yawn coming on while you stretched your arms.

‘Nope, we’ve got to practice.’ Kevin stated, tapping your arm. His lips curved into a smile, perhaps because he’d gotten an epiphany;

‘And if you’re too tired, let’s do something that’ll wake you up.’ Typically, the excitement in Kevin’s voice would’ve been adorable…however this night, it wasn’t.

Kevin grabbed your hand and stood up. The sheer length of him meant consequently you’d been pulled up on your feet too.

‘What-wait, where?’ You breathed exasperated.

‘Basketball courts. They’ll be empty at this time.’ Kevin stated, checking the time on his phone before tucking it into his back pocket.

‘Wait, are you legit being serious right now?’ You chocked, eyebrows raised to an extent you didn’t think they could go.

‘Yeah, let’s go.’ Kevin almost skipped out the room, big- hand still clasped around yours. He shushed you when you whined in dismay, warning you not to wake the others up.

=============

It was almost pitch black while you walked side by side to the courts. They weren’t far from the dorms so it was a quick trek. The 2 courts that sidled side-by-side were brightly lit by the court lights which made it easier for Kevin to open the wired gate and let you in.

‘Remind me why we’re here again?’ You asked, eyes scanning the area.

‘Because we’re going to wake you up, and practice your Chinese.’ Kevin said while he picked up a rugged basketball left behind and attempted to spin it on one finger.

‘Um and how are we going to practice Chinese with basketball?’ You asked intrigued but unconvinced. Kevin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter