The End - Taemin I

Living the Dream~ Working with Exo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Lee Taemin’s arrival into your life was, to say the least, unexpected. And your meeting had repercussions for not just this part of your life, but the next.

You were a fan, just a simple fan. And if you were told the circumstances of your meeting before you’d even set foot in Korea, it would have made you cackle with laughter.

For what were the chances on that fated night of the SM party, that you would meet Lee Taemin on the roof?

It must have been fate, for when one door opens…

Under the cover of darkness, with only the twinkling of the cityscape beyond and your heart in tatters, you met Lee Taemin. Not even the stars or building lights could ever replicate the same brightness that exhumed from him.

You were just you. Unable to recognise the pain and stress he was under…the pain he was enduring that night…and yet, somehow…Taemin smiled through it, shining as brightly as any star in the night sky.

It was Taemin’s pure smile that pulled your rejected heart back together, and it was something you’d forever be grateful for.

Suddenly Baekhyun’s words from what felt like an age ago sprung to your mind;

‘Your smile makes me feel so much better.’

And you found yourself thinking as you looked at Taemin; Was this what that felt like?

.

And then…Taemin appeared at your front door…he and Jongin were friends.

The beginning of the end.

.

The Max Step MV only increased your anxiety…and yet Taemin’s smile somehow momentarily made you forget…

How could you refuse?

‘Would you like to have coffee with me?’ You’d almost dropped the water bottle you were holding as you stood right by the apartment door (Taemin was waiting for Jongin again to hang out).

‘What?’ You said a bit too loudly. Taemin blinked, his expression turning abashed; ‘Well, only if you’re free…if you wanted to have coffee…with me.’ He combed his fingers through his hair, feigning confidence.  

He looked like a dream.

‘With me?’ You mimicked in confusion. ‘Yes you.’ He grinned sheepishly.

‘But…you’re famous.’ You blurted out, your brain going into survival mode at the thought of going on a date with Taemin.

He exasperated amusedly; ‘And?’

‘Well, where would we meet?’ You spluttered, wanting to disappear entirely at your clumsiness.

He thought for a moment, scratching his chin; ‘Do you remember where we first met?’

‘The rooftop?’ You whispered, shocked he remembered.

‘Yes, do you want to meet there after 12?’

‘At night?’ You let slip.

‘At Noon.’ He chuckled, and you felt yourself turn bright red; You nodded. It was the only response you could give him when faced with that gut-wrenching smile.

‘Ready?’ Jongin walked out of the apartment, wallet in hand. ‘Mmm ready.’ Taemin smiled between you both. You blinked; mouth slightly open. ‘See you.’ He bowed politely.

‘Bye.’ You lifted a hand but didn’t wave and Jongin gave you a half-confused stare; ‘Want me to get you something?’ He asked uncomprehendingly. ‘Not coffee.’ You said out of the blue. Taemin fought back a laugh while walking off with Jongin who looked back at you, confused.   

You stood there for a moment longer- ‘Oh, ____-ah.’ Sehun said, almost walking into you as he stepped out the door; ‘What happened? You look like you’ve seen a ghost-‘

-‘What was I thinking!?’ You squeaked, rushing past Sehun and back into the apartment.

------

You didn’t know why, but you’d kept the date a secret from everyone.

Why?

You weren’t quite sure. And as you snuck out, pretending you had a meeting at headquarters – the guilt that ate at you had slowly melted away the moment the reality of meeting Taemin was settling in. And as you stood smack-bang where you had met him for the first time at exactly Midday, you suddenly realised you’d forgotten to get coffee.

How could I forget??

Quickly, shoving a hand into your jacket pocket and opening the rooftop door, you checked-

-someone had pulled back on the metal handle at the same moment. You almost fell right onto Taemin who was carrying two cups of coffee. Both startling each other, you’d managed to regain your balance while Taemin, standing in a long camel-coloured coat and his golden-toned hair, tried to hold his arms out for you.  You bowed into an apology immediately; ‘I’m so sorry! I totally forgot to get coffee and now you’re here with coffee instead and-‘

-‘I’m the one who asked you for coffee. I didn’t expect you to get them.’ He said kindly. ‘And Sorry if I made you wait long, the barista was a bit slow.’ He apologised, handing a cup over to you while he gestured you outside again. You obliged, shaking your head; ‘Not at all.’, holding the warm cup in your hands.

‘I hope you like Americanos. Jongin said it was your favourite.’ He said sweetly as he sat down on one of those large vents, taking his long coat off and laying it out on the vent beside him, gesturing for you to sit. Too many things had happened at once to keep up; ‘Wait, does Jongin know? And your coat, I don’t want to dirty it, I can just sit on the-‘

‘-No, Jongin doesn’t know. I just asked him what you guys usually drink together. And don’t worry about the coat.’ He smiled. It wasn’t the drink that seemingly warmed your cheeks up. ‘Sit.’ He said kindly, tapping beside him – but he pushed the coat slightly further away, mindful the closeness could make you uncomfortable.   

‘It looks very different during the day, doesn’t it?’ Taemin asked, observing the skyline ahead. You nodded slowly, taking a sip of the drink. ‘No one can see us here.’ You said, surprised. ‘Exactly. That’s why it’s perfect.’ He winked. ‘You can think, breathe…or smoke.’ He chuckled. You looked at him poignantly and then looked off to the other buildings that settled further away. It was true, no one could see you; ‘It’s not a bad hiding place.’ You mused. ‘I wish I knew about it sooner, would have helped a lot.’  

‘From what? You said you didn’t smoke.’ Taemin asked, surprised. ‘No. It’s just that…everyone needs a place to hide…once in a while.’ You said quietly, peering off into the distance.

‘What do you need distracting from?’ He asked innocently. You gulped; ‘Even working with the group I get to work with can be…’

You thought of it. You thought of all the days, the memories, the pain…the smiles, the love you felt…the joy and the tears. All of it…

‘...It’s just-‘

‘-A lot.’ Taemin finished your sentence. You sighed, nodding. ‘Is Jongin giving you a headache?’ He asked amusedly. ‘I won’t tell him.’ He added, chuckling. ‘Not just Jongin.’ You giggled, tilting your head back and closing your eyes momentarily. ‘They all have their moments.’ You smiled at the thought of them before taking another sip of your drink.

You talked and talked and talked. You couldn’t believe how the awkwardness soon melted away. It was mesmerising to be in Taemin’s presence – the politeness turned into ease-

*Bzzzzz*

The buzzing phone in your pocket made you lose your trail of thought and immediately you jumped up to answer, work mode totally taking over; ‘Hello?’ You realised how weird you were being and sat back down again. Taemin took a sip from his drink and tried to look busy as you mouthed a ‘Sorry’ to him.

‘_____-ah?’ Sehun called out your name.  ‘Oh, Sehun?’ You said, startled.

‘Manager Kim said you were here. Can you pick me up, I’m done practicing so we can go home.’ The Maknae’s voice was calm and casual. You looked back at Taemin; ‘But what about Manager Kim? Can he not-‘

‘-He’s heading straight to Busan for the weekend. Why, are you busy?’ Sehun asked quickly. It took you a few more seconds to re

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter