Taemin [Interlude]

Living the Dream~ Working with Exo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

-‘I’m dating someone.’

 

He thought he hadn’t heard you correctly.

You sat clutching the chopsticks in your hand. Judging from your expression…from Kyungsoo’s…it was the truth.

Baekhyun’s eyes widened in surprise-

-No.

He looked at you swiftly, feeling panic rise to the top of his throat in a strained yell; ‘Yah, how could you do this!?’

How could you.

You didn’t follow, you didn’t follow the plan-

You flinched, and for once he didn’t feel bad for making you do so as the pain started to drown out his senses.

‘Who is it?’ Jongin asked amusedly.

Baekhyun wanted to know and also didn’t; ‘Are they from the company.’ Perhaps he could sabotage it, he should sabotage it – he could do someth-

-‘It’s Lee Taemin.’

It felt bizarre, to hear you say someone else’s name in that tone.

No.

‘It hasn’t been long…just a few weeks-‘

‘-WEEKS?’ He stood up explosively, unable to sit down any longer. It was all seemingly unravelling before him. Chanyeol tried to pull him down again, but Baekhyun shirked his friend off his arm, trying to direct his anger at someone; ‘Yah, how come you didn’t know about this? I thought Taemin was your friend!’ He pointed towards a silent Jongin.

He looked desperately back at you-

-Why would you do this?

But still you looked away from him, turning to Kyungsoo instead.

‘How could you.’ Baekhyun said the words again, unable to process what was happening inside of him.  

Still you looked at Kyungsoo anxiously-

No, Look at me.

-And then you turned back to him with a fire in your eyes he hadn’t seen before; ‘How could I date someone? Am I not allowed to?’-

-‘No.’ He responded and immediately regretted it; ‘No?’ You repeated aloofly. Nonetheless, the words poured out of him; ‘If we’re not allowed to date, then neither should you!’

Don’t date anyone.  

‘Oh really?? Then what about you and Taeyon huh??’

He recoiled at the sound of her name and immediately felt shame.

I dragged Taeyon into this for nothing.

Quickly, before he could feel its full effect, Baekhyun turned it into anger; How could you willingly argue…for Taemin’s sake.

‘That’s different! You’re supposed to be taking care of us! You shouldn’t have time to see other people!’

‘Is that what you think!?’ You yelled back at him.

He gritted his teeth, fists clenched tightly.

Get mad, I’ll get just as madder. You don’t think I know I’m in the wrong?

I’m yelling and I’m hurting you…but I can’t stop, I think of you with someone else, and I can’t stop-

-‘Especially other idols! If we get into scandals because of you, then what??’ Baekhyun pointed around the whole table then finally at you.

Don’t say it-

-‘Didn’t you think that’s why Jongin rejected you in the first place?’

His words revealed that he knew all about it, that seemingly everyone else did. Your cheeks turned red immediately as your stare flew towards Jongin who stayed still…

‘Baekhyun.’ Kyungsoo warned, but Baekhyun ignored him.  

‘You don’t think it’s insanely reckless to be dating Taeyon??’ You said quietly.  

He felt the sting of guilt again;

-‘Yah, why do you keep bringing up Taeyon??’

Why do you bring her up? Just admit it.

-‘You’re willing to risk your Musical for her??’ You argued back, nostrils flared and cheeks still red.

Those words stung. And all of a sudden, he was reminded of it…of the day he got the news-

-------

‘Baekhyun, good news!’ You jumped into frame, waving your hands frantically at him before ripping off the ‘staff’ badge hanging around your neck. You’d just gotten in from being at the company all day.

‘What?’ Baekhyun asked, moving his feet off the table. He’d been enjoying an off-day.

‘The higher ups wanted me to tell you~’ You wiggled excitedly over to him.  

‘Tell me what?’ Baekhyun asked nonchalantly, flicking the channel on the TV. You continued to watch him from behind, radiating excitement. He sighed and stood up, moving round the couch to face you; ‘Please tell me it’s something good and you’re not joking.’ He said, stretching his shoulders.

‘No, it’s good.’ You pointed at yourself; ‘First, you’ve got to thank me and Mr Kim for our amazing schmoozing skills because they were going to give this to Changmin.’

‘Give what?’ Baekhyun crossed his arms confusedly.

‘You know how you really wanted the lead for that new musical…’ You leaned closer toward him in anticipation.

‘Singing in the Rain??’ His throat began to tighten. Baekhyun could feel the excitement brewing.

‘Did I get it?’ He asked, leaning equally in as close, finding the excitement infectious.

You nodded quickly; A Cheshire-like grin burst immediately across your face. Baekhyun rushed at you,   trying to pick you up and failing miserably. The hallway was lit with both your yells of joy.

‘I could kiss you right now!’ Baekhyun exclaimed without thinking. You looked back at him in fright and embarrassment.

‘Obviously I won’t but-‘ He pulled you into a hug instead- ‘Thank you.’

 You hugged him back merrily, and in that moment, Baekhyun felt a sort of inexplainable bliss-

‘You’ll come watch, right?’ He asked, pulling back at see your face.

‘Of course. I’ll be in the front row.’ You responded happily. His heart raced.

‘Hard work pays off, right Baek?’ You said hearteningly. He knew exactly what you were talking about. For you’d been there through it all, giving him the encouragement he needed to get through hours of practice…feeling like a failure, enduring tears and pain…you’d been right there with him…even now.   

You broke up the hug, placing both hands on his cheeks; ‘Congrats Baekhyun.’

And it was right there.

Then and there.

Your bright eyes made him almost do it, the impulse flashed through him; making him as brave as he’d ever felt-

*BZzzzzz*

You dropped your hands and Baekhyun felt the immediate need for your touch linger in his heart. Regardless, he looked down at his pocket, pulling out his buzzing phone and-

‘It’s Taeyon.’

‘You should tell her the good news.’ You said, taking another step back, a smile still on your lips.  

‘Kyungsoo! Baekhyun got the musical!’ You called, noticing the boy walk out from the bathroom to the kitchen.

‘Congrats.’ Kyungsoo shrugged, walking past.

‘Yah! If you actually volunteered for things, you’d also have your own musical by now-‘ You scolded, chasin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter