Peek-a-boo

Of Dreams, Love, and Pixie dusts

 

"YAY YAY YAY INCHEON." Jenny was overly excited when the plane landed on the lane of Incheon Airport. It was the feeling you have when you finally get to see your favourite idol. You jumped, and your fingers went wild, doing the wriggly motion.

"Shhh shh!" Cassandra quickly pinched Jenny's cheek, desperately to stop her from losing her last strain of self-control. "It's so embarrassing!" 

"Where will you be heading to after collecting your luggage?" Jenny held onto Cassandra's arm loosely. She felt lost, she did not receive any instruction from SME other than 'register for an audition before 6pm'. "The time now is 2pm."

"Hotel I guess, check in first. My mum and I have 8 days to spare, so we don't really have to worry about time and where to have fun." Cassandra shrugged.

"Jenny, where do you want to go?" Cassandra's mother asked.

"I have to go for an interview in a big building at apgujeong." 

"What interview?"

"It's a secret." Jenny playfully placed her index finger on her lips. She does not want to reveal her intention yet in case she fail her audition.

"Okay okay, let's put our luggage in the hotel before heading to apgujeong shall we?" Cassandra's mother answered with a motherly smile.

"Sure auntie!" Jenny flashed a grateful smile towards Cassandra's mother.




"Do we turn left or turn right? Jenny, are you sure we are going to the right way?" Cassandra folded the subway map into a fan and fan herself eventhough the weather was not even close to warm.

"We are near already, according to the map, I guess." Jenny shrugged sheepishly, she was not quite sure. "Oh yeah! See that building there!?"

"S.M Entertainment!" Cassandra cheered.

"Well, I think I should just go in alone, would you mind waiting for me in a café near by?" Jenny's radar eyes search around the area for a decent café.

"Sure Jen, I'll be waiting for your good news."

"Good luck!" Cassandra's mother showed Jenny the thumbs up gesture.




Jenny hesitately walked towards the inquiry counter near the entrance of SME building, "Annyeonghaseyo, my name is Lee Jenny and I am here for an audition." said Jenny while showing the email she received from SME as a proof to the staff.

"Ne, please wait for awhile."

After a good ten minutes of standing awkwardly, finally a 30 year old looking man came down and approached her. Jenny looked at him straight into his eyes and he did the same. 

"Jenny?"

"Yes."

"Please follow me."

Jenny nodded even though the man had already turned away. She was nervous, her palms were sweaty and her heart was beating wildly. Jenny looked forward to this audition very much, everyday she would practise her singing for some time until she was quite satisfied. Today is her big day, it's either pass or die. No, that was just a joke.

After walking for a short distance, Jenny was brought to the famous cloud dance practice room. In front of her seated two unknown middle-aged man and woman, and BoA, then the man who just brought Jenny here went to the empty seat and settled down. So she has had total of four adults, staring at her, trying to pierce through her with their strong gaze, giving her the weight of pressure. 

"We had watched your video already, could you now perform something else for us?" The middle-aged man asked.

"S-something else? I pre-prepared two more songs, would you like to h-hear it now?"

"You may start." The woman said coldly.

Jenny took in a deep breathe, testing out a few do re mi to make sure that she stop trembling in anxiety before she began her performance.

Not too impressive I would say, Jenny did not make any mistakes however her singing was only at the normal standard. One thing that could add some points for her was her voice's uniqueness. Not the very powerful type like Park Bom or Rihanna, or as sweet as Sunny's, or able to get to the very high note just like how Chen did. Jenny's voice range belongs to the medium low to medium high. She had a stable voice. BoA smile at her before she commented, "I think you sing well, with more training on your voice I believe that you will be able to touch the audience heart." What a nice, positive remark she gave! The man who lead Jenny into the room was observing her appearance since he sat down, from her not-skinny-at-all body, to her not-as-pretty-as-Tiffany face, a devil diet plan formed in his mind. 

"Can you dance?" The woman asked again.

"I can but not freestyle." Jenny answered timidly. Crap, dance.

"Show us what you got." 

Guess what Jenny did.

She mixed the starting of Lucifer, with some body wave and chest popping, and came out with a total of less than a minute dance. Wonderful, not.

"... ... ... That's all?!"

Jenny nodded sheepishly.

"Can you introduce yourself with all the languages that you know?" Here she go, the third mission.

"Hello my name is Lee Jenny and I am seventeen years old. I came from Singapore. Nice to meet you all.

Ni hao wo shi Lee Jenny. Wo jin nian shi qi sui, lai zi xin jia po. Jian dao ge wei wo hen gao xing.

Annyeonghaseyo, je ireum-eun Lee Jenny imnida. Choneun yeol il-gop sal imnida. Choneun Singapore saram imnida, mannaseo banggapseubnida." Jenny bowed at the end of her last speech. It was nerve wrecking when she spoke korean, it would be really embarrassing if she speak wrongly.

"Thank you for coming down. You may go back and wait for further notice." With just one sentence fron the woman, Jenny's audition came to the end.




"Thank you for keeping me accompanied on yesterday, I really appreciate it!" Jenny hugged both her friend and her mother before leaving the hotel room. SME only provided a two days one night Korea trip, so she had to go home alone. 

A big company like SME is really efficient at work and made quick decision. It only took them three day to send Jenny their final decision. She nailed it. Without much say, she explained things to her parents again and persuade then to let her step on the adventure. 

With a signature from her parent and hand shake that seal the deal, Jenny is now an official trainee of SME.




SME had given Jenney ten days to make her visa, and do whatever is needed to be done. The day before departure, she actually called her best friends and have a dinner buffet with them. Being worried of her friend might be spreading news about her like wild fire and caused her to feel embarrassed, she decided to keep everything down as a secret mission that only she know. The only thing she told them was 'phone is having some issue, anything contact me through whatsapp and skype'. Before they stepped out of the restaurant, Jenny actually shot Cassandra a glare, sending her the message of 'you tell, you die' through the air particles.