Surviving

That Strange New Friend

 

I took a few steps and then spun around as I stared at my feet.

'I’m a human~' I smiled widely. I then sat down and touched my feet.

'I can even wiggle them.' I wiggled the tip of my feet. I believe they are called toes.

'Oh, I even have the human male s.' I just realized it.

'So this is how it looks like.' I stared at it.

'Humans usually wear clothes to cover it up but..' I looked around and saw nothing but trees and sand.

'There are no clothes here.' I just shrugged. I then looked up to the night sky where the stars shined brightly.

'Now I can see the stars whenever I want and I don’t have to go back down to the sea bottom.' I smiled.

'What should I do now?' I asked myself as I played around with the sand in my hands and toes.

“What do humans usually do?” I wondered.

'Oh can I talk?' I wondered.

"...Ahhh~" I smiled upon hearing my voice.

"Woah~... H-hello." I said smiling. I was amazed that even my voice has changed as well. It's alot more louder like a human's voice.

'I’m so glad that I learn one of the humans languages. Hangul. It's in a nearby region. It’ll be so useful soon. I hope I’m saying things correctly'  I giggled.

“I can talk, walk, run, and everything else a human can do.” I said happily. 

“Wait, I’m here by myself. I’m all-alone… “ I finally realized. I sat up and saw the emptiness around me.

‘It would have been more fun if I could meet someone.’ I frowned.

“That human would have been a great friend. Woobin was it?” I sat there remembering out meeting.

“What am I saying I have legs now? My wish has already been made. I’m so happy that I can even die right now~” I got up and ran around. I then stepped on a rock and a sharp pain rushed to my feet.

“Ahhh~!” I jumped on one foot and held the other with my hands.

“Ah~. It’s hurts!” I hopped around and then fell on the ground.

“Ughh, everything hurts now.” I cried as I laid flat on the ground

“Being on land is more painful than I thought.” I groaned. Just then my stomach growled.

“I’m hungry.” I sat up and rubbed my stomach.

“Oh, oh and I can eat human food now!” I smiled happily.

“What is there to eat here?” I quickly got up and looked around as I patted the sand off of my skin.

“Things in trees.” I said walking over to the forest.

“Uhh, this?” I picked a leaf and sniffed it.

“In the book some humans ate leafy things. Oh and fruits. Some were red and some were yellow.” I said as I walked around looking up to the tree branches. It was dark so I couldn’t see much.

‘Maybe I should stick to eating seaweed like my usual meals?’ I pondered.

“Oh but I want to try human food.” I didn’t know what to do.

“Survive on my own isn’t easy.” I went out of the forest frustrated.

“How do I know what to eat and what not to eat?” I kicked the sand around. Just then I saw something on the ground.

“What’s this?” I wondered as I sat down beside the pile.

“Looks yellow and long. Oh this is the banana.” I realized.

‘The humans must have gotten it from the forest and left it here.’ I was so happy. It took me a while but I was able to open the outside and eat the inside. Just like what the book had state. It was very soft and sweet.

“Oh and these. Berries?! These are also fruits that can be eaten.” I said and ate those as well.

“Thank you humans for leaving food for me.” I said softly. After a long time I finally felt full.

‘Becoming a human even my appetite has changed.’ I said in my head. I then felt a chilly wind pass by. That made my entire body shivered and my hands and feet were getting cold.

“I can’t stay here. It’s too cold.” I shivered. I made my way into the forest where the wind was blocked. For now I just went to bed under the big leaves. I couldn’t really sleep though because of the new change. I kept on touching my toes and smiling. It was like a dream but everything felt so real. Before I even knew it I fell into deep sleep. I was probably worn out from the excitement.

Woobin’s POV

“Woobin-ah, are you sure you want to skip school and go back to that little island?” Umma asked me.

“Umma I have to. I know you are worried about my grades but its just a few days. At most three.” I said to her.

“But I’m still worried. It’s not just your grades but also you’re safety. Are you sure you want to just take this little yacht with 2 workers? How about one of the bigger yachts and 10 more workers?” Umma was overly worried for me.

“Umma~ What am I going to do with 12 workers? All I really need is someone to drive and cook.” I said back.

“It’s better to be safe than sorry.”

“I am being safe. If I took the bigger yacht than appa would definitely find out about me skipping school. Then he’ll kill me for sure.”

“Huhh~ How about you just don’t go? Tell the workers to find  whatever you are looking for.” Umma said making me frustrated.

“Umma~…” I was on the verge of crying from frustration.

‘I don’t think I can send someone to find a merman. Even if they do find him who knows what they’ll do to him.’ I said in my head.

“I already planned everything, packed, and ON THE YACHT!!!” I said as I tried to control my temper.

“It’s too late now. I’m an adult now. I’m college. You don’t have to worry for me.
“But you are after all my son. You’re going into an area with no signal. How are you going to call back?” Umma asked me.

“I won’t" I said shortly.

“See? How can I not-“

“Umma. Umma, I’ll be home tomorrow.”

“Promise?”

“I promise.”

“If I don’t see you before midnight tomorrow then I’m going to call the police.

“Oh umma you don’t have to go that far.. just yet.” I said the second part to myself. Things could go wrong but it’s better to stick with the good side with my umma.

“Did breakfast fill you up? How about I send someone to buy a sandwich for you before you leave.”

“Umma I’ll full. If I eat anymore I might just puke everything out during the ride. Don’t worry. There’s food on the yacht so I won’t starve. I have to leave now so that I can come home tomorrow. The sooner I leave the sooner I’ll be home.” I said to her with a smile.”

“Okay, okay. Be careful. Give me a hug.” She opened her arms.

“I already gave you a hug before getting on board.” I chuckled.

“Just once more.” She pouted.

“My umma is so cute.” I said getting off the boat and giving her another hug.

“Have a safe trip.” She sounded like she was going to tear up.

“I will. Don’t get too emotional.  You were fine the other day when I left with my friends.”

“That was because you were with a hundred other people. Now it’s just three.”

“It’s going to be. Bye umma.” I said going on board once again.

“Bye my son. Oh and you two, take good care of my son.” Umma shouted.

“Yes, take care of appa until I get back and remember this is all a secret.” I said to her.

“I know. I will try my best to keep it a secret.” She said back. After a long, long time we finally parted and left the dock. I was happy that we were finally moving but I was unsure of what’s going to happen later.

“Excuse me sir but what are you looking for. Maybe I can help.” The worker offered.

“I’m not even sure myself.” I said as I looked out to the sea.

‘I’m looking for a merman…. Doubt they believe in me.’ I said in my head.

“If you see anything.. strange then just call me.” I said with a sigh.

“What do you mean by strange?” He asked me.

“Something that doesn’t seem normal.” I said simply. I then walked inside and sat down on the couch.

‘Ducky, Ducky… Will I even get to see you? Did I even saw it right?’ I asked myself.

“At least I get to skip my classes.” I sighed. I then was  curious as to why me. Why is it that I saw Ducky. Why he showed me what he really was? Not only those questions but also whether those news about seeing mermaids were real or not. If the mermaid and merman species actually exist then what do I do? If I do find Ducky again what will I do to him?

“Huhh, My head hurts.” I groaned as I closed my eyes. I didn’t know when but I fell asleep. The next moment I woke up due to the shaking.

“Oh what’s going on?” I wondered. I got up tiredly and went over to the control area.

“What’s going on?” I asked them as I looked out into the sea.

“Sir the waves are getting more violent.” The worker told me.

“Ahh seriously? That tour guide did tell us that it’s quiet rare to approach this island easily.

“Sir you should be careful.”

“I know. You should be careful as well. the boat too of course.” I said back.

‘With these waves are you still around?’ I wondered. I then stumbled against the wall because of the waves.

“Should I be worried about Ducky right?” I finally realized. Here I am worried about a merman yet my life is at danger.

“Sir I think it’s best for you to sit down.” The worker said to me.

“O-okay. Don’t worry about me just take care of the boat.” I said back.

“If umma knew about this she would definitely flip out. He only son being lost at sea…” I said to myself.

‘I should really stop saying these things before I jinx it.’ I said in my head.