Fun but Sad

That Strange New Friend

Woobin’s POV

“Thank you professor.” I thanked him

“If you have any more questions then just stop by during my office hours.” He said back.

“Yes.” I then looked at all the books and journals he had.

‘So this is what it’s like working as a professor for 40 years…’ I said in my head. He is the professor that had worked here the longest so I’m not that surprise on his collection.

“You have a lot of books.” I said and they all were related to plants and animals.

‘I wonder if he has anything on merfolks.’ I was curious

“Professor. Umm do you have anything on merfolks?” I whispered so that it sounded like a joke as well as trying to hide it from Jongsuk. I glanced at Jongsuk, for sure that he heard me, but  it seemed like he was too entertained with the fishes at the moment.

“I can’t believe you would ask me.” He chuckled.

“Eh?” I wasn’t sure what he meant.

“I have.” He smiled.

“EHH~?!” I was surprised when he said. He then reached over for a journal. I glanced over to check on Jongsuk but surprisingly he didn’t even notice us. His gaze was glued to the fish tank so he was probably in a trance.

Maybe we should go to the aquarium.’ I smiled. My professor then opened it up and showed me his notes.

“So they are still considered an unknown. Whether they are real for myths its still a big mystery. I myself don’t even know but I have collected whatever is out there.

“These are supposedly their characteristics.” He showed me the page.

‘Upper body resembles human but lower half is fish, unusual scales on the lower body, smooth porcelain skin, heals quickly, majority have light colored eyes and hair, does not talk however they communicate using telepathy and body language, most are vegetarian and have a shellfish diet’ I read it in my head.

‘Well those are all true. They also have super hearing.’ I smiled proudly for knowing something that wasn’t noted down.

“Here are some more notes about them such as subspecies… They live relatively long, twice the lifespan of humans. They are mammals yet they have scales. They are really a unique type of species and would be unbelievable if they were real.” He said looking excited.

“So what makes you think that they’re not real?” I asked him.

“Based off of scientific research it is basically impossible for such species to exist. Humans and fish are completely different yet this species is a combination of both. The fusion of the appearance is quite questionable as to why top half is human and bottom half is fish. Also the human portion of them had been stated as a regular human being so how is it possible for their skin to be immersed in salt water for a long period of time.” He seemed really passionate about it.

“Yeah I suppose it’s impossible.” I chuckled.

“Then what makes you think that they’re real?”

“Again it’s also from scientific findings but there aren’t enough evidence and that around 95% are connections based off of assumptions.” He said feeling disappointed.

‘I wonder what he’ll say or do if I told him I happen to spotted a merman and got to know him. Also he’s right over there in this office.’ I smiled about that thought.

‘Of course I wouldn’t tell anyone even if I know the person isn’t bad.’ I said in my head. I then glanced over to Jongsuk and saw him with his arms in the fish tank.

“Ah!” I was shocked to see him doing that.

‘What is he doing?!’ I panicked. The professor was still looking through his notes and so I quickly thought of what to do with Jongsuk.

“I remember that when I was in my thirties I actually went on a trip and went diving in the ocean hoping to find something about them but nothing was obtain.” He started talking about his past and showed me photos.

“Ahh~ that’s a shame~.” I said as glanced over to Jongsuk nervously. He was reaching in touching the fishes and the rocks.

‘What is he doing? Will that kill the fishes?’ I panicked.

“Such good times~” My professor seemed like he was really into his past.

“I’ve given up on them for a while can closed it up as a myth but I just hope and wish that it is possible.” He kept on talking.

“Umm~ well I have to go somewhere now. Thank you for your time professor. No need to walk me out. Just continue reading your journal. Good bye.” I said getting up nervously.

“Yes, bye Woobin. If you have any more questions then stop by during office hours.” He said and continued looking at his notes. I quickly rushed over to Jongsuk.

“What are you doing?!” I yelled at him quietly.

“It’s so cool~.” He said still touching the rocks. I glanced back at the professor and he didn’t seem to notice anything yet.

“Shh~” I shushed him.

‘Thank goodness he has hearing problems…’ I can’t believe I actually said that.

“Get down from there and let’s go~” I said franticly. He pulled his arms out making water drip everywhere as he walked down from the steps.

“Ahh~” I grabbed some paper towels that happened to be nearby and cleaned up quickly. I wiped the water off of the table and quickly pulled him out of the office.

“Huhh~” I let out a sigh.

“I thought I almost died…” I said calming down.

“What’s the matter~?” He seemed guilty now.

“What are you doing putting your arms in someone else’s fish tank?” I yelled at him.

“It looked interesting. It was like a small part of the ocean. There were the rocks and plants… fishes....” He pouted.

“Huhh~” I just sighed.

‘You’re too cute and innocent that I can’t yell at you.’ I said in my head.

“Okay, but don’t ever do that again. You can only look at it.” I explained to him.

“Yess~” He looked down to his feet. His arms were still wet so I reached over and pat them dry with the paper towels.

“Huhh~ Let’s go to the bathroom and wash your arms.” I said to him.

“Yes~” he said not looking up.

‘Is he sad? Does he think I’m mad at him?’ I wondered. When we went into the bathroom he glanced around but with his chin tucked in.

“I’m not mad, just be yourself.” I said as I pulled him over to the sink.

“Really? Woobin is not mad at me?” He asked me.

“How can I be mad at you? If you’re feeling sad then I am too.” I said back.

“Oh… Then I won’t be sad anymore.” He said look up and smiled.

“That’s it.” I chuckled. I then helped him wash his arms clean.

“Is this a bathroom?” He asked as he looked around freely.

“Yeah, those are stalls to keep the toilets separated and those are urinals just for peeing. There’s a lot so that more than one person can use the toilet at the same time.” I explained.

“Ahh~ Because there are so many people here they need a lot of toilets too” He said in which I nodded.

“Exactly, this is how most bathrooms are in public.” When we were done he walked around and examined every stall and urinal like a curious cat.

“Let’s go Jongsuk. This isn’t a place for you to play.” I chuckled.

“Oh.” He said still focused on the urinals. He walked over to me and just casually held onto my hand. It caught me off guard and so I just froze there for a second.

‘Since when did he naturally hold onto me?’ I grinned. He then glanced at me.

“Let’s go.” He said pulling me out of the bathroom. I was going to tell him to let go of my hand but then again I didn’t want to tell him. I was still thinking about it but he ended up just letting me go on his own.

“So where are we going now?” He asked me.

“Well I don’t have any more classes for today. Want to go on a date?” I asked him.

“Date? What’s that?” He asked me.

“It’s to go somewhere fun. With me~” I grinned.

“Ohh~ let’s go on a date~!” He said happily.

‘Good thing no one is around.’ I was a bit embarrassed but teasing him was so cute. I knew the perfect place that he would love to see. I drove us to the Coex Aquarium for our little date. He was already amazed when we approached the place.  

“So where are we Woobin?” He asked me as his head kept on turning to see everything as quickly as he can.

“Ummm we’re going to an aquarium that's in here. You know that fish tank that you stuck your arms in earlier at my professor’s office?” I asked him.

“Mmhm~ the glass box with the fishes?” He said back.

“Yeah. Well this is like that but A LOT bigger and A LOT more fish.” I explained.

“Really?!” He stared at me.

“Like this big?” He spread his arms out.

“No… It’s way bigger than our pool. And there are… hmmm~ around 100 different tanks for all types of fishes.” I chuckled.

“WHAT?! That’s impossible!” He said shocked.

“If it’s this big then it’s like part of the ocea-“ He stopped talking when he saw the some little tanks that had some fishes inside at the entrance.

“OHH~!” He ran over and stared inside the water tanks.

“Be careful.” I said and followed him.

“How did they get in there?” He said scared of touching the glass but I can tell he want to put his hands all over it.

“There’s an opening where they put them in and feed them.” I said smiling.

“Don’t touch it too much. A little bit is okay.” I said and he smiled. He then poked the glass tank  trying to play with the fishes I guess.

‘I wonder if he understands them.’ I wondered.

“Hello~” He said.

“Jongsuk-ah, do you know what they’re saying?” I asked him scared of other people staring at me.

“Ummm, not really. They don’t really talk. They don’t think much either…” Jongsuk said as he went over to the side of the tank. We stood there for a bit but there were lots more to see so I told him to move on. After paying to get in we went upstairs immediately and rush right off to see the different tanks. Everything happened so quick mainly because Jongsuk was running around in awe.

“Woah~”

“WOOAHH~!”

“Look at that!”

“I haven’t seen this type of fish before.” I kept on hearing him say. All I could do was smile because before I could say anything he would speak up. After running around to the few small tanks here he was going to rush off to the next section.

“Wait Jongsuk. Don’t you want me to explain them to you?” He then rushed back beside me.

“Ohh~” He nodded.

‘You’re so cute.’ I smiled.  I then briefly talked about each of the tanks.

“Oh and do you see this arrow?” I pointed to the yellow arrow on the floor.

“Yes.” He replied.

“Well we have to follow the arrows and it will lead us through the aquarium.” I explained. And with that we continued off with our aquarium tour date. As we continued there were bigger fishes in which he was amazed.

“They’re playing~” Jongsuk giggled. They weren’t just fishes but there were also chipmunks too in which I never knew. I’ve been here before but I don't remember seeing anything other than fishes…

“Woobin, they’re not fishes.” Jongsuk laughed.

“I know they’re not. They’re chipmunks. I don’t know why they would be in the aquarium…” I chuckled. We continued and there were a lot of fishes that he had never seen before so I was quiet happy that this was a fun learning experience for him. Whenever I had the chance I would take pictures of him. Whenever he catches me taking a photo he would smiled widely for the photo. We then got to the weird fish tanks section in which we were so amazed about.

“It’s like human and ocean world put together.” He said.

“Yeah, that’s exactly what it is. It’s pretty cool. I haven’t seen this yet.” I said amazed myself. There were even warped mirrors in which scared Jongsuk for a good minute before he started laughing about it.

‘How is he so innocent?’ I kept asking myself. There were more strange looking tanks as we continued.

“Oh Jongsuk, you can put your hands in this one.” I read the sign.

“Where?” He rushed over with his hands ready.

“Here.” I pointed to the opening. Both him and I tried it and he was nothing but giggles.

“I’m not food~” He giggled. They were nibbling my fingers too and it tickled. I glanced over to Jongsuk and saw him staring at a kid who was staring back at him. She was probably waiting for her turn to touch the fishes.

‘He’s being awkward’ I smiled seeing him stare at her without a word.

“Say hello Jongsuk.” I said pulling my hand out of the tank.

“H-hello…” Jongsuk said to the little girl.

“Hello. Do the fishes bite?” She asked him.

“Yes but it doesn’t hurt. They don’t have teeth.” Jongsuk smiled showing off his teeth. She then went over to my side and stuck her hand in.

“Ah!” She flinched when the fish nibbled her little fingers.

“It tickles does it?” Jongsuk was comfortable talking to her now. I then noticed that Jongsuk was trying to catch them.

“Don’t grab them. You can take them out.” I said just to be sure.

“Yess~” He said avoiding my gaze.

‘He was totally going to try it wasn’t he?’ I grinned. When they were done I led them over to the sink to wash their hands. I washed my hand first and then helped the little girl and Jongsuk.

“There’s no paper towels.” I said looking around.

“Guess I’m just using my pants.” I said wiping my hands on my pants awkwardly. The little girl then walked over to me and wiped her hands on my pants giggling.

“Yah!” I stared at her. Jongsuk then went over and did the same to my other leg.

“Ahh~!” I was lost for words. It was cute but a little bit annoying since my pants are soaked at my thighs.

“What are you two doing? My pant isn’t a towel. You made him copy you!” I complained.

“Are you mad?” Jongsuk pouted.

“… N-no…” I said since I couldn’t say I was. He then smiled again and rushed off to see more fishes with the little girl.

“So you have a friend now and just left me?’ I was shocked and just walked over to them. I walked up behind them where they were looking at the squirrels.

“These are squirrels” She said to Jongsuk

“Squirrels. They look like the ones before but bigger.” Jongsuk said back.

“Hey kid, who are you here with?” I asked her since no one was looking after her.

“My parents and dongsaeng. They’re over there.” She pointed to the two adults and their son.

“Shouldn’t you be with them?” I asked her.

“They let me go off on my own. Just not too far.” She said back. I’ve never been good with kids so I just let her do whatever she wants since she gets along well with Jongsuk.

“What’s your name?” I asked her.

“I’m Eunha. And you oppa?” She looked at Jongsuk.

“I’m Lee Jongsuk.” Jongsuk said to her. They then continued talking just like friends.

“Yah, I was the one that ask you for you name. Aren’t you going to ask me back?” I asked her.

“Then what is you name ajusshi?” She said to me.

“A-ajusshi? You called him oppa.” I complained.

“He’s oppa, and you look like an ajusshi.” She said making me surprised.

“We’re the same age.” I said even though I wasn’t quiet sure.

“Then I’ll call you uncle.” She tried bargaining.

“What’s your name uncle?” She asked me but I didn’t feel like telling her anymore.

‘You look like you’re not even 8 yet you’re talking like this.’ I said in my head.

“His name is Kim Woobin.” Jongsuk said.

“Jongsuk-ah!” I was surprised when he said it.

“Then Woobin uncle.” She smiled and rushed off with Jongsuk again.

“Yahh~ And this is why I don’t like kids. They’re annoying.” I said to myself.

“Woobin, can we go down there? There are huge fishes down there!” Jongsuk asked excited since he wanted to go downstairs.

“Well her parents are still over there.” I said looking for her family.  She then rushed over to her parents and talked to them. She pointed over to me and so I got flustered and just bows my head.  She was jumping up and down and pouting. Her appa then walked over to me.

“Hello, I’m Eunha’s appa” He greeted me. I guess Eunha wanted to be with Jongsuk and I and so she begged her parents about it.

“Appa~” She was whining so much that they gave in and I did as well. We were going to stay close to each other either way so Eunha ended up being with us two. The entire time Jongsuk was so happy and excited.

“I’ve seen these fishes a lot.” Jongsuk said.

“Where did you see them?” Eunha asked him.

“In the ocean.” He said softly.

“Ocean? You’ve been to the ocean and saw fishes?” She was surprised.

‘Jongsuk-ah~ you should be careful with what you say.’ I said since he couldn’t lie. Than there were other sea creatures other than fishes in which Jongsuk was excited to see as well. Some of the tanks had open top and so I worried that Jongsuk might reach in or even jump in but I know he’s not that reckless. After a while Eunha had to go with her parents so it was just us two again.

“Bye Eunha~” Jongsuk waved.

“Bye oppa~ uncle~” She waved happily.

“Did you like her?” I asked him.

“Mmmhm~ she’s nice and smart.” Jongsuk said.

“What about me?” I asked a bit jealous.

“Woobin is really nice and really smart.” He giggled. I was really happy so I gave him a big smile.

“Thank you~” I patted his head. We continued through the aquarium and the next tank had sharks.

“Oh!” He seemed scared.

“It’s okay, they’re in the tanks.” I said wrapping my arm around his shoulder.

“O-oh..” He said and took small steps.

‘Is he try to communicate with them?’ I wondered.

“They’re hungry.” He went and hid behind me. Some people glanced over to us but I didn’t care. I quickly walked past the shark tanks so that Jongsuk could relax.

“You’re okay now.” I said to him. He calmed down a bit but then got all excited after seeing the manatees.

“They’re called manatees.” I explained.

“Have you seen them before?” I asked him.

“Yes, I have.” He smiled. I then saw some vending machines and decided to get us a drink.

“Jongsuk-ah, do you want a drink?” I asked him. He walked over to me and looked at the ending machine.

“What’s this?” He stared.

“If I put money in it’ll give use the drink that you want.” I showed him and bought a water bottle for myself.

“Ohhh~. I want this one.” He pointed to a juice. Once I bought it we sat down and drank it since we couldn’t take it with us in to the next section. I opened his drink and handed it to him. He was really calm right now unlike the beginning. He almost looks sad right now.

“What’s the matter?” I asked him.

“I… feel bad for them.” He said in which I do understand him after thinking about it.

“In the ocean they can swim to wherever they want. Eat whatever and whenever they want. Here… I feel sad for them.” He frowned and looked all sad.

“Mmhmm~ I understand you.” I said looking at the tank.

“Humans are… mean.” He ended up saying. I know that he probably didn’t include me but I am a human.

“I... agree.” I said taking a sip from my water bottle.

“You... probably pictured yourself in there right?” I said to him softly. The other people were busy on the other side and we were sitting off to the side so it was safe to talk.

“Yes… They’re scared. I would be too if I was stuck in a small tank. With humans staring them.” He pouted.

‘We just enjoy looking at them but never really thought what it’s like to be them. Jongsuk… sees it from their point view.’ I said in my head.

“Mmhm~ Jongsuk-ah~” I wanted to comfort him somehow.

“Umm. I guess you could say humans are mean but they’re just… curious.” I tried explaining to him.

“I do admit this tank is really really small compared to the ocean but look at everyone. They’re really happy to see such sea creature here on land. Of course the ocean would be a better place for them but humans… are curious...” I tried putting it in nice words.

“They’re right. Humans are savages.” He said softly.

“And I?” I asked him.

“Not Woobin!” He shook his head.

“I don’t want you to think about it so negatively. This was suppose to be a nice date.” I said patting his head.

‘This was suppose to be fun for him yet I made him feel depressed.’ I felt so bad.

“Ummm… Can I say that a lot of people just want to do something good but in some ways it is bad. The good part seems a lot better and so they just stick with it even though it is a bit bad. A lot of people are against aquariums as well, just like you. They think these creatures should be free too. I think so too but I was quite amazed seeing the fishes. Weren’t you too when we first came in here?” I asked him.

“Yes~ I was happy.” He pouted.

“Well the owner of this place knows that this place makes a lot of people happy so that is probably why it is still here.” I explained. He thought about it for a bit and then smiled.

“I understand.” He said to me.

“That’s good. I don’t want to brainwash you to think like we do.” I said feeling bad.

“I know. Woobin just wants me to understand on the human side as well as the animals’ side. I understand~” He smiled.

“Okay. Then let’s continue. There’s still a bit more to see.” I said. The rest of the tour was more calm I guess. Even though I couldn’t communicate with the sea creatures I saw in Jongsuk’s point of view. Jongsuk on the other hand knew what they were saying or feeling so it must have been hard for him. Whenever he giggled I smiled since he was feeling happy.

“What is it?” I asked him.

“He wants to play.” Jongsuk said. Once we were done we continued with our date to eat dinner at a restaurant. I remembered that my professor said that merfolks also eat shellfish so I asked Jongsuk about it. He said he could eat it so we went and ate clam pasta at a fancy restaurant since I wanted to show him the experience. It was also because I wanted to make him feel better and take his mind off of the aquarium. 


Happy New Year!!!

Well there you go! I don't know if I went into deep enough but that what I have.

The next chapter is going to be in Jongsuk's point of view so theres going to be more details.

Anyways thanks for reading~!