Auntie's Son

That Strange New Friend

No one’s POV

“Huhh~” Jongsuk yawned. He stretched his limbs feeling so energized. He opened his eyes and scanned around.

‘What a lovely morning~’ He smiled. He then looked over beside him and saw Woobin who was already awake.

“Oh, good morning Woobin~” He smiled happily.

“Good morning~” Woobin said tiredly and managed to smile. Unlike Jongsuk he was all tired since he didn’t get to sleep all morning.

“Are you okay Woobin? Your eyes look weird.” Jongsuk asked since he noticed his dark circles.

“Huh? Oh I’m okay. I couldn’t sleep, that’s all.” Woobin said before yawning.

“Woobin couldn’t sleep?” Jongsuk frowned.

”Because of me Woobin couldn’t go to sleep.” Jongsuk felt bad.

“Uhh… No.. It’s not because of you.” Woobin tried cheering him. Technically it wasn’t because of him it was just what Woobin had said to him that kept him up. After a long morning Woobin finally felt like himself but it was still bothering him.

‘Did he… understand me? No I doubt it. Well maybe he did but forgot about it…’ Woobin thought about it.

‘Should I tell him again to clarify myself?’ Woobin was going to tell him but then stopped since he was too embarrassed.

‘Maybe I shouldn’t… Perhaps I’m just misunderstanding my feeling.’ Woobin had his own conversation in his head.

“Would you like some strawberries?” Auntie Soonok asked him in the middle of his thoughts.

“No, it’s not like. I love hi-“ Woobin accidently said out loud. He quickly glanced at her shocked himself.

“I mean..

“Yes, I would like some…” Woobin answered her.

“Okay… Don’t be studying so late. You’ll lose your mind.” She said making him embarrassed. After breakfast he went off trying to do random things so that he would be occupied but it just made him even more frustrated. He then made up his mind and went straight to Jongsuk.

“That’s it’ I’m telling him!” Woobin decided. He found Jongsuk in his study room reading the books.

“Jongsuk-ah.” He called out to him.

“Hmm?” He glanced up to Woobin and continued reading or looking at the pictures.

“Y-you’re reading?” Woobin asked awkwardly.

“Mmhm~ You read this book to me last night but I didn’t remember it properly so I want to go through it again.” Jongsuk said.

“O-oh…” Woobin stood there awkwardly. He then glanced down to his wiggly toes and just smiled thankfully.

‘I don’t want to admit it but I’m glad he got his legs back. I don’t know what I’ll do if his tail came back permanently.’ Woobin said in his head. He then remember why he was here and so he took a deep breath.

‘I love you!... No I can’t just say that…’ Woobin didn’t know how to say it. He paced back and forth a bit before going over to his bookshelf.

‘Jongsuk-ah, what am I to you? Like that???’ Woobin said in his head as he fiddled with the books.

‘You may think that we’re friends but you’re more than just a friend to me- no I can’t say that either…’ Woobin felt so frustrated.

‘What I said last night I meant it… Does he even remember?...’ Woobin glanced over to Jongsuk who was focused on the book.

‘Okay, let’s just go for it!’ Woobin up all the courage he had and took a step over to Jongsuk.

“It’s not that I like you. I really love you!” Woobin said strongly. He stood there happy that he said it out but the room was silent. He stared at Jongsuk who was still focused on his book.

*… ~crow sound~ …*

‘He didn’t hear me…’ Woobin felt all awkward and embarrassed.

“Huhh? Did you say something Woobin?” Jongsuk was all late about it.

“Huh?... O-oh…” Woobin nodded slowly.

‘Okay, I can do it again. He’s listening this time. Not to mention I said it weirdly the first time.’ Woobin up his courage again.

“I said I-“

“Can someone help me carry this box?!” Auntie Soonok shouted out loud.

“YES!!! I’ll help you!” Woobin quickly rushed out of the room and helped her.

“Aish~ Why can’t I say it in front of him?!” He cursed himself as he walked down the hallway. Jongsuk was a bit confused but then just brushed it off and continued looking through his amazing book. After his first attempt he felt discourage about telling him but he didn’t want to give up. He had his second attempt when they were eating dinner. It was just the two of them so nothing or no one can interrupt him now.

‘Okay, I can do this. It’s better to just tell him!’ Woobin decided. Woobin glanced at Jongsuk as he ate his sandwich. He waited for the perfect timing to tell him.

“Jongsuk-ah.” Woobin called his name to get his attention.

“Yes?” Jongsuk looked at him and waited.

“I… I love you.” Woobin said shortly. He didn’t want to say anything else since it would get all confusing awkward. Just simply those 3 words would resolve all of his frustration.

‘He said he loves me?’ Jongsuk tried comprehending what Woobin said to him. He then flashed Woobin a big smiled.

‘He’s smiling… I understood me?’ Woobin felt hopeful.

“I love Woobin too~” Jongsuk said cheerfully.

“Eh?” Woobin raised a brow since it wasn’t the respond he was expecting.

“Woobin is such a nice person. Woobin also buys Jongsuk lots of delicious food. I really love Woobin.” Jongsuk said happily.

‘He misunderstood me…’ Woobin just felt drained.

“It’s not that.” Woobin pouted.

“No? Well Woobin buys me a lot of things too. Woobin helps me whenever I need help. Woobin let’s me meet his nice friends so that I can be friends with them too. Woobin also borrow books for-“

“Okay, I got. You love me like that…” Woobin pouted.

‘I had the feeling it wouldn’t turn out right this time either.’ Woobin said in his head.

“Thank you Woobin~!’ Jongsuk giggled.

“Oh, no problem…” Woobin said back. He didn’t even bother trying again. They continued eating as if nothing happened. The third and final time Woobin wanted to confess was right before going to sleep.

“If I don’t tell him now I am probably not going to sleep tonight.” Woobin said to himself. He waited until Jongsuk was all ready and was now in bed with him. Before turning off the lights he sat him down for ‘the’ talk.

“Jongsuk-ah…” Woobin started once again. The lights were quite dimmed and there was absolutely no disturbance.

‘This is the perfect mood, right?’ Woobin had some confidence about it going well this time.

“I really… really do mean that I love you. You mean a lot to me.” Woobin said trying to explain it more since the last time was just so short. Jongsuk stared at Woobin’s eyes and understood what he meant.

“Mmhm~ I know~” Jongsuk smiled. Well, he thought he knew what Woobin meant.

“Woobin means a lot to me too. I am really thankful to Woobin and so Jongsuk loves Woobin really really much too.” Jongsuk said back.

“Huhh~ Okay, goodnight.” Woobin surrendered. He will never be able to tell Jongsuk his feelings. He just dropped down onto his pillow.

‘Okay I was wrong. It’s okay if I don’t tell him. He doesn’t even understand it any way… Why is he so ignorant? Does he not know what love is?’ Woobin was upset now. He just turned away feeling so frustrated.

‘Aww he’s embarrassed. He’s cute when he’s embarrassed.” Jongsuk chuckled. Jongsuk really was oblivious to Woobin’s true words. He’s just a really special innocent person.

“Good night Woobin~” Jongsuk said as he leaned over to have a look at Woobin’s face. He then moved down and gave him a peck on the cheek.

“Have a nice sleep.” Jongsuk whispered before going to sleep himself.

‘What is he doing?!’ Woobin shouted in his head. As if his ious thought and feelings weren’t big enough now this? A kiss goodnight in midst of trying to confess to him?! His heart raced and his mind was about to explode.

‘I think I’m gonna go crazy.’ Woobin tried calming down.

‘Looks like I won’t be able to sleep tonight either.’ Woobin wanted to cry. And with that he just gave up completely in trying to confess to Jongsuk. He figure that it can wait and living like this with Jongsuk wasn’t bad at all. They were living just great so why bother in making changes. Yes there are a few hugs and kisses here and there, which isn’t normal between just friends, but it’s just between them. No problems at all….

A few days later~

Jongsuk’s POV

“I’m bored~” I laid upside down on the couch. There was nothing to do and so I was so bored. I finished reading all of the books so there’s nothing to read. Watching TV has been boring and playing games was also boring.

“Why didn’t Woobin take you to his class today?” Auntie Soonok asked.

“He said it’s going to be a long time so he didn’t let me go with him.” I pouted.

“How about swimming then?” She asked.

“That’s getting boring too.” I pouted. Woobin has been buying some more fun toys for the pool but it wasn’t fun playing alone. Woobin and his friends are always busy and going to school so I have no one to swim with.

“Then just go take a walk outside and have some fresh air at least.” She said

“That’s boring too. There’s nothing to do out there either.” I pouted.

“Then~… Do you want to go shopping with me?” She asked. I quickly got up and rushed over to her.

“Go shopping? Like go outside to all the stores and not online shopping like how Woobin shops?” I asked her excited.

“Yes, shopping at the stores. I need to buy groceries to stock this place up.” She smiled.

“Mmhmm~” I nodded quickly.

“I want to go!” I smiled.

“Okay, but there’s going to be a lot of people around. Will you be okay?” She asked me.

“Mmhm~ It’s oka-. Maybe….” I knew I couldn’t just jump to that conclusion yet. I was still a bit scared of people that I don’t know.

“It’s okay. I can handle it. I’m not as scared as I use to…” I explained to her.

“Okay, then let’s go shopping together.” She said. And with that I quickly got ready and went out with Auntie Soonok.

“Would Woobin get mad if I went out? I’m going to be with Auntie Soonok though…” I pouted and thought about it.

“Should I give Woobin a call?” I took out my phone and thought about it.

“Let’s just keep it a secret. If Woobin asks I’ll just try to tell him the truth somehow. Huhh~ It’s really a bother that I can’t lie.” I pouted. When we were ready the two of us went outside. Right when I stepped outside I smiled in excitement.

“I already called a taxi for us.” She said. I looked up ahead and saw the car that usually comes in.

“Ohhh~ my first taxi~” I smiled.

“You’ve never been in a taxi?” She asked me.

“No, Woobin always drove me around in his car.” I said back. I followed her into the taxi and a man was sitting in the front.

“Hello.” Auntie Soonok greeted him. I figure I should too so I also greeted him.

“H-Hello…” I said softly.

“Good afternoon, looks like you have company today.” He said and glanced back at me. I quickly looked down nervously.

“Is that your son?” He asked her.

“No, he’s a friend of my nephew.” She said back. She then started talking to him as if they were friends. Then she told him the place that we were going to shop at. He started the car and drove off.

“Don’t worry. I’m here with you.” Auntie Soonok said holding onto my hand. I looked at her and smile since she was smiling at me. I felt a lot better and more relaxed after she comforted me. I just sat back and looked out the window as he drove to where all the stores and people were. When we arrived she gave him some money and we got off.

“This is the market where I buy fresh groceries other than the super market.” She said.

“Mmhm~ there are a lot of food here.” I said as I looked around.

“We’ll start here and make our way down the street.” She said and so I followed right behind her. We first went to where the vegetables were. There were a lot and many different types as well.

“First we’ll get carrots, onions, and potatoes.” She said as she reached for the items.

“Carrots, onions, and putatoes.” I repeated her.

“No, it’s potatoes.” She corrected me.

“Potatoes.” I tried saying it correctly this time.

“I believe Woobin said you weren’t born here?” She asked me

“Y-yes… Not here.” I said nervously. I mean it was true that I wasn’t born here so I didn’t lie to her.

“How’s your Korean?” She continued asking me.

“I’m learning it right now. I’m looking through books… and there are videos online…” I answered.

“That’s good. I’ll help you learn your foods then.” She smiled.

“Yes~ Auntie. But Auntie, why are you looking through the carrots.” I asked since she was looking at all of them.

“I’m looking for the good ones. They may all look alike but some are better. Also the size matter.” She explained to me.

“They are all the same no need to go through all of them!” The lady working there said to her. She just continued looking through all the vegetables there and we moved to the next table.

“Do you know what this is Jongsuk?” She held up a green leaf.

‘It looks familiar but I don’t know the name.’ I tried thinking about it.

“I don’t know the name.” I said to her

“It’s a perilla leaf. I made some marinated perilla leaves for you before.” She said.

“Ahh~ yes~ I remember now.” I smiled.

“And this is radish?” I pointed to the big round vegetables.

“Yes, that’s radish. These are also radish.” She pointed to the smaller looking ones.

“Oh, these are radish too? They’re so tiny and cute.” I smiled at it.

“Yes, they’re a different type of radish called Ponytail radish.” She said.

“Ahh~ ponytail radish.” I smiled after learning something new.

“Hello, who is this handsome young man with you?” an ajumma said to me. I panicked and glanced over to Auntie Soonok.

“He’s my nephews friend. I treat him like my son.” She said and looked at me.

‘Oh did she say that I’m like her son.’ I smiled.

“Go ahead, say hello.” She said to me.

“Huh? Oh… H-hello...” I said nervously.

“He’s more on the timid side.” Auntie Soonok said to her.

“Aigoo~ Such a young handsome man but timid? The ladies these days like the aggressive types.” She said back

‘Aggressive type? What does she mean?’ I wasn’t sure.

“It’s also because he wasn’t born here.” Auntie Soonok said

“Ommo, he’s a foreigner. No wonder he’s so good looking.” She laughed. Both Auntie Soonok and her started talking for a bit before we continued buying things.

“What kind of fruits do you want?” She asked me. I looked around and saw so many delicious fruits.

“I like them all.” I giggled. I like fruits because they are just so sweet and delicious. There aren’t a lot of sweet things under the sea so I’m so glad that I get to eat sweet foods here.

“Woobin’s not like you at all. He doesn’t like sweets much. He likes spicy and salty foods over sweets.” She said

“Ohh~ Yes, Woobin really like spicy foods.” I agreed.

‘Oh, I remember that time that I ate something so spicy I was running around the house crying. But then Woobin gave me ice cream and it helped.’ I laughed at my memories. We just went ahead and bought a little bit of everything. We bought some melons, oranges, banana, and some strawberries. They all looked so pretty and delicious. I couldn’t wait to eat them.

“I’ll carry it for you.” I said offering to hold the bags.

“Oh, here. I’ll carry this bag.” She said keeping one of the bags.

“Are you sure? I can hold it Auntie.” I said worried.

“It’s okay. Let’s keep going.” She said. Afterwards we went to the meat area. It was a bit scary looking and it smelled weird. I then saw a man chopping up some meat loudly.

‘That’s… scary… Is he… cutting up the pig? Cow? So scary.’ I was getting nervous. I looked around and saw blood just everywhere. On the meat, on the tables and even on the floor.

‘Is this why humans are called ruthless?’ I said in my head.

‘Meat… does taste good but this…’ I was intimidated by the process.

“Are you okay Jongsuk?” Auntie Soonok asked me.

“Huh? Oh… I’m just a bit-ah!” I flinched when I heard the man knife chop down onto the table.

“I’m all done here, let’s go somewhere else.” She said and so we walked away from that place. The further away we got the less tense I was.

“Huhh~ I’m sorry Auntie Soonok.” I pouted feeling such a bother.

“It’s okay. It must be your first time seeing people prepare the meat like that. It’s normal to feel uncomfortable.” She comforted me. Both of our hands were full of bags and so I thought we were done but we didn’t reach the end of the street yet. We continued walking and there were actual foods now. There were kimbap, fried foods, and lots of noodles.

“Are you hungry? Should we eat something here?” She asked me.

“I am hungry~” I said embarrassed since I couldn’t lie.

“What should we eat then?” She asked me.

“Anything is fine. Auntie Soonok should decide.” I said back.

“Hmmm~ How about cold noodle soup? Have you tried that before” She asked.

“Cold noodle soup? No, I’ve only tried hot noodle soups.” I said in which made her laugh.

‘Did I say something funny?’ I wondered.

“Then, let’s go eat that. It’s really good and refreshing. If you like it then I’ll make some at home for you.” She said and so we went to eat that. After tasting the cold noodle soup it was actually really good. It’s very different than the hot noodle soups that I’ve tried.

“Can we bring some back to Woobin?” I asked Auntie Soonok.

“You’re so nice to him Jongsuk-ah.” She said making me smile.

“But I don’t think we should bring some for him. It won’t taste as good and besides I’m going to make dinner at home.

“Oh, okay. Maybe next time we can eat here with Woobin.” I smiled.

“Okay, you can come here with him when he’s free.” She said. We then took the taxi back home with all of our things. It was really fun but I didn’t tell Woobin about it since he might get mad. He didn’t even ask about it so I just kept it a secret. For the next few days I got along with Auntie Soonok very well. She is an amazing person that was able to do a lot of things. I wanted to learn everything from her.