Finally Boyfriends

That Strange New Friend

Nam Soon’s POV

“Surprise~!” I said to him

“What do you mean surprise? What are you doing here all by yourself? How did you get here?” Woobin asked me a bunch of questions.

“I took the taxi here. I wanted to see Woobin.” I pouted since he didn’t seem too happy about me being here.

“You... wanted to see me?” He seemed confused.

“Are you… mad?” I asked him softly.

“… No~! I’m just surprised. I’m happy that you’re here. I’m just worried since you’ve never gone anywhere by yourself.” Woobin explained.

“Auntie Soonok helped me get here.” I smiled.

“That’s good. So you just wanted to see me?” He asked me.

“Oh! No I came here because I bought these for us.” I said taking the tickets out of my pocket.

“Oh? Movie tickets?” Woobin said in which I nodded.

“Mmhm~ Auntie Soonok said that this movie is really good so I want to go see it. Also… I haven’t been to a movie theater yet~” I said shyly.

“Well then lets go.” Woobin smiled.

“Really?” I stared at him happily.

“Mmhm~ you already bought the tickets so how can I say no?” Woobin said before looking around.

“Let’s go to the car, everyone is looking at you.” He said and started walking.

“Everyone is looking at me? Why?” I was confused. I looked around and saw that people were staring at me and smiling.

“Woah~ so handsome~”

“A movie date? Ah~ I want to go with a guy like him.” I heard some ladies talking.

“Woobin, what’s a movie date?” I asked him.

“Hmm? A movie date?” He asked back.

“Mmhm~ those girls said something about it.” I asked him.

“A movie date is what we’re going to do. Going together to go see a movie.” He explained.

“Ahhh~ it must be fun since they wanted to do it too.” I said smiling.

“I guess it’s fun. It depends on the person you’re going with.” Woobin said.

“The person… Then am I a fun person? The ladies said they wanted to go with a person like me.” I said happily.

“Yes you are. But I don’t think they want to go with you because you’re fun.” Woobin said in which I didn’t understand.

“Anyways. Thanks for coming and asking me out on a date.” Woobin smiled happily.

‘Woah~ I guess I did something good. Woobin seems happy.’ I said in my head. When we got to the car we both went in and sat down.

“What time does the movie start?” He asked.

“Oh, the person that sold this to me said 6 o’clock.” I answered.

“We still have a bit of time left. Should we go eat first?” Woobin asked me.

“Mmhmm… Whatever Woobin wants~” I said smiling.

“Okay, let’s go eat then.” Woobin said. He drove us over to a restaurant where I ate delicious pasta. The person offered us wine but Woobin said no.

“What’s wine?” I asked Woobin

“It’s a type of alcohol.” Woobin said.

“Ahh~ the thing that made Woobin strange and funny and made your breath bad.” I asked him.

“O-ohh…” He nodded.

“Well that’s why I said no to it since I still have to drive and the movie to watch. Did you want some?” He asked me.

“No~, I don’t want to try it.” I shook my head. That was something I didn’t want to try yet. When we were done we drove over to the movie theater in time for the movie. We went inside and gave our tickets to a person.

“Thank you, theater 4 on your right.” She said. When we went further inside there was a unique smell. We walked over to an area that seemed like it had food.

“What kind of snacks do you want?” Woobin asked me.

“We get to eat food and watch the movie?” I asked him,

“Mmhm~ Just watching the movie would be boring. Is there anything you want to try?” Woobin asked me. I looked around at all the different snacks but the smell was really distracting me.

“What’s the smell?” I asked Woobin.

“The smell? Oh, it’s the buttered popcorn. That” Woobin pointed to a machine that started popping.

“Oh!” I started at it interestingly.

“Pop! Pop! POP!” I smiled as I copied the sound since it was so fun.

“Does that taste good?” I asked Woobin.

“Yeah it’s good. People usually eat this at the theaters.” Woobin said.

“Then let’s get that!” I said excited.

“Okay. Should we get drinks too since we might get thirsty?” Woobin asked.

“Mmhm.” I nodded

“Can I get the large bucket of half caramel and half buttered popcorn.” Woobin said to the man.

“And… A medium cola.” Woobin ordered.

“Just one?” the man asked Woobin.

“Uhh.. 2 please.” Woobin said back. Woobin then paid for the snack and so we stepped aside and waited for it. I watched the man getting our snacks. He put some on the popcorn in the bucket and then a different kind in there as well.

“How come that popcorn is different? “I asked Woobin.

“The yellow one has butter and the other one has caramel. It’s sweet and the butter one is savory.” Woobin explained.

“Ahh~ That’s interesting.” I smiled. Once we got our snack I held onto the popcorn bucket and Woobin held onto the drinks. We went down a long hallway and then stopped for a bit.

“Do you remember which theater we have to go in?” Woobin asked me

“Which theater…?” I tried remembering.

“Theater number 4!’ I said.

“Which one is 4?” Woobin asked me.

‘I think Woobin knows but he’s testing me.’ I said in my head.

“4…” I said as I looked around. I then saw big numbers on a sign.

“1… 2… 3… 4!” That one.” I pointed.

“Good job.” Woobin patted my head. Let go in. Woobin said and led the way. I smiled proudly and followed him in.

“Be careful it’s dark in here.” Woobin said to me.

“O-oh.” I said as I carefully took small steps.

“Hold onto me.” Woobin said moving his arm over to me.

“Yes~” I held onto his arm tightly. We slowly walked further in and there was the big screen that Auntie Soonok told me about.

“Woah~ it’s bigger than the big screen at Woobin’s house.” I said amazed.

“Yeah, the theater back at the house is just a small one compared to this.” He explained. I then looked around and saw all of the seats.

“Woah~ that’s a lot of chairs. A lot of people will see this movie?” I asked Woobin.

“Maybe. Sometime the theater is full but most of the time there are just extra chairs. Where do you want to sit?” Woobin asked me.

“Ummm. Anywhere. Where does Woobin want to sit?” I asked him.

“Maybe up here. Sitting too close to the screen isn’t that good.” Woobin said.

“Okay, then here.” I smiled and followed him, still holding onto his arm. We sat down near the top and I stared at the big screen. The sound to the screen was really loud but it made everything more exciting.

“Is it too loud for you?” Woobin asked me.

“It’s okay.” I smiled as I saw the cute cartoons on the screen. Woobin then held something over to me.

“Why don’t you wear this?” He handed me his headphones that he listens to music to.

“Why?” I asked him.

“This will make the sound softer a bit.” He said and placed the headphone on my head. He adjusted them so that they were covering my ears.

“Oh, it’s better.” I smiled to him.

‘Woah~ Woobin is so smart. This way is a lot better.’ I said in my head.

“It’s a good thing I thought of it before and brought them in.” Woobin said smiling.

“Thank you” I said to him.

“Can I eat this?” I asked Woobin about the popcorn.

“Of course silly, you don’t have to ask.” He said picking up a popcorn and held it to my lips. I smiled and ate it.

“Mmhm~” I liked the texture and taste of it. It was really unique and a tiny bit salty. I then grabbed one and fed it to Woobin as well. Woobin ate it happily. I then tried the sweet one and it was a bit harder but still very good.

“Mmhm~ this one and this one taste really good.” I said as I grabbed some more.

“It’s starting.” Woobin leaned over and whispered to me. I didn’t really know what happened afterwards but my eyes were stuck on the screen. My hands would automatically reach into the bucket for some popcorn as I watched the movie.

“Jongsuk-ah~ Do you know what those two are to each other?”

“Friends?” I answered unsure.

“Aren’t they more than just friends? They love each other don’t you think?” He asked me.

“Mmhm~ they’re lovers than.” I said smiling.

“Ohh~ Lovers.” Woobin nodded.

“Well that’s what I want to be with you.” He whispered. I stared at him surprised.

‘What… did he just say?’ I was surprised.

‘What I want to be with you… Lover?’ I thought about it. I wanted to ask him but the movie was really loud and he was watching it too so I didn’t want to interrupt him.

‘Lover? With me? Ayyy~ it’s probably not like that. That’s not possible.’ I said in my head but it kept on bothering me. The rest of the movie I couldn’t really pay attention since what Woobin said was still in my head. Before I even know it the movie already ended. Woobin reached over to me surprising me.

“What?” I flinched but he was only taking the headphones off.

“How was it?” He asked me.

“… Oh, the movie?” I wasn’t sure what he was asking.

“Mmhm~ I haven’t watched a animated film in a while so I thought it was fun.” Woobin smiled.

“Yes~ it was fun.” I said back.

“What should we do now?” He asked me as he got up.

“I-I don’t know…” I answered.

“I’m a bit tired.” Woobin stretched his arms.

“Then let’s go home.” I said getting up as well.

“Okay, let’s go home then.” Woobin said and so we left the movie theater and went back to the car.

“If you want we can go to the movie theaters again some other time.” Woobin said in which I just nodded.

‘I’m being too quiet aren’t I. Should I ask him about it?’ I wondered.

“Woobin…” I called out his name.

“Hmm?” He hummed.

“What you said earlier… What did you mean?” I asked him since it seemed odd to me.

“About what?...” He said.

“During the movie… About the two characters…” I said.

“Ahh… That… It was just something I wanted to say…” He said awkwardly.

“That they’re lovers… and then you said something about us…” I said nervously.

“You… Understood what I meant?!” Woobin said surprised.

“Ehh?... I think so.. but…” I didn’t know how to say it.

“I mean I’ve been trying so hard to tell you all this time and I just casually said it this time yet you got it?!” Woobin said so worked up.

“What do you me-?”

“Woah~ you were that oblivious about it?” Woobin kept on talking and talking. I was really confused now. He then moved the car to the side of the street and stopped it suddenly.

“Did you get what I was trying to say?” Woobin stared at me and asked.

“That… you want us to be… lovers…?”

“Mmhm~ not friends but lovers!” Woobin said smiling.

“Why?...” I felt strange and nervous looking at him so I turned away.

“I… I just want to. Can’t we though? I guess it’s a bit confusing since we’re both guys… Are there any merfolks that are same- lovers?” Woobin asked.

‘Same-… … lovers?’ I thought about it.

“What’s that?” I asked him

“No?...” Woobin said looking stunned.

“Uhh… You know like… a guy and guy… They can have that kind of relationship.” Woobin explained.

“That kind of relationship?... THAT? Love?!” I said surprised.

“Mmhm~ what’s the problem?” Woobin asked me. I wasn’t really sure

“A man and a man?!” I said shocked.

“MMhmm… Why are you so shocked?” Woobin asked me

“….Why am I shocked?...” I thought about it.

“I’ve never heard about it.” I said now that I thought about it.

“Well… have you had education yet?” Woobin asked me.

“ edu-…?” I didn’t know what that meant.

“Huhh~ we’re going to have a long talk tonight. Let’s go home first and I’ll explain everything.” Woobin said starting the car again. We then quickly went home so that we can have a talk. At home we both got ready for bed but instead of going to sleep we sat on the bed and talked.

“So you know that kind of love is right?” Woobin asked me.

“That kind of love… Adult kindof love?”

“Mmhm~ that’s one way to say it. You said it’s only between a man and a woman?” Woobin asked me.

“Mmhmm~ Once they fall in love they make babies” I said in which Woobin seemed surprised.

“Uhhh.. True… but it’s not just making babies. It’s the love that important.

“AH!” I suddenly remembered something.

“Woobin-ah, I think I’ve heard of it before.” I whispered to him.

“W-what did you heard?” He asked me.

“I’ve heard of a merman that had that kind of love towards another merman but we weren’t allowed to talk about it yet.” I whispered since it was a secret story between my classmates.

“Oh~ yeah that’s what I’m trying to explain. But why aren’t you allowed to talk about it yet?” He asked.

“Why? We’re not old enough yet.” I said confused.

“Ahhh… How old can merfolks live to again?”

“Around~ 150 merlives…”

“Aish~ I have to do the math again?” Woobin groaned.

“How many merlives were you again?

“12”

“And I calculated 25 years old for you so it’s about double. 150… 300 years old?!” Woobin said shocked.

Why? Is that a lot?” I asked him.

“Uhh yeah… humans live to around 10. Around 130 at most I believe.” Woobin explained.

“So… You’re like a baby then. Of course you wouldn’t understand all of this…” Woobin mumbled.

“Well ummm. For humans we’re at an adult age now so we should know everything. I don’t mind explaining everything to you so if you want I help you understand…love…” Woobin said awkwardly.

“Ohh.. so.. Are you going to talk about adult stuff?” I asked him a bit interested.

“Yeahhh… You seem happy about it.” Woobin smiled.

“To tell you the truth I saw a book about it under the sea. I didn’t read it though since I wasn’t old enough yet.” I pouted.

“Ohh, you’re such a good kid~” Woobin smiled and patted my head. That made me happy.

“Uhh.. but now you’re no longer a kid here so it’s fine.” Woobin said.

“So where should I start…” Woobin said to himself. I just waited happily.