It Must Have Been You

That Strange New Friend

 

Woobin’s POV

“Who’s there?!” Minwoo shouted as we checked on who came in.

“Me~” It was Jaehyun who was half asleep and was still in his pajama.

“What are you doing here?” I lay back down.

“Let me rest here for a bit.” He said before crawling into my bed.

“What are you doing?! Go sleep with Minwoo.” I complained.

“Don’t you dare take a step over here.” Minwoo threatened him calmly.

“You heard him.” Jaehyun said to me as he lay down.

“Aish. What happened in your room?” I asked him annoyed.

“Lights, music, and smell all over. Ugh that bastard has some issue.” He hissed

“Who was it?” I asked.

“What was his name again? I think it was Kwanghee?” He mumbled.

“Stop talking and let me sleep in for another 30 minutes!” Minwoo shouted. Jaehyun and I just kept quiet and tried sleeping as well. Before I fell asleep I felt something on top of me.

“Jaehyun, get your arm off of me.” I said as I shrugged.

“I need to hug onto something in order to sleep.” He said back.

“Yah I’m the owner of the bed. If you want to sleep then keep your hands and feet to yourself!” I grunted as I scooted away from him. We were able to have some shuteye for another 35 minutes until we started to get hungry.

“You awake?” I asked out loud.

“I am.” Minwoo said tiredly.

“Me too.”

“I’m using the bathroom first.” I got up and grabbed my clothes.

“Let use it with you, okay?” Jaehyun said.

“Yah why are you getting so close to me?! Are you gay?” I shouted.

“Are you insane? It’s because I didn’t want to wait! If I were gay all the girls will probably have a mental break down.” He said back. We then heard a door being shut. While the two of us were arguing Minwoo already went into the bathroom first.

“There’s nothing left to eat.” I said as the three of us stood there yawning. We had no choice but to go into the kitchen and find some leftover breakfast. When we finish breakfast we joined the others on the beach. I really just wanted to jump into the water but I know better.

“Hey guys! I want you to meet someone.” Jonghyun shouted as he ran over with a guy.

“This is Taecyeon, he knows almost everything about the island.” Jonghyun said to us.

“Hello, I’m Woobin.” I shook hands with him. Our entire group came together and we talked to Taecyeon.

“Taecyeon, so is anyone living here?” I asked out of curiosity and because of Ducky.

“As of from what I know, no but who knows what happens here in the dark night.” He chuckled.

He’s being sarcastic so I doubt it.’ I said in my head as I kicked the sand around. We took a walk around the forest for about an hour so that the breakfast can be digested.

“You guys are actually lucky being able to visit this island. Most of the time the waves here are really chaotic so coming and going is very hard. It’s probably like that all year round expect for a week like right now.

“Really? Such a lovely place and is protected by nature.” Jaehyun said softly.

“How about we continue with our research before it get’s late?” I said to them.

“Ehh I thought you said you’d only work on the research 10% of the time here?” Seunggi chuckled.

“I am. Yesterday wasn’t enough.” I said back.

“Enough arguing, lets go.”

“Jonghyun, can I borrow a scuba diving gear?” I asked him

“Sure. I think there’s a few left. Let me go get it for you.” He said sprinted back to the yacht. I followed right behind him to the room inside.

“Here you go. It can last for 45 minutes and I think you can go about 50 feet deep.” He explained.

“Thanks.” I held onto the suit.

“No problem. When you’re done just put is back in here.”

“Do I have to scuba dive to?” Jaehyun frowned.

“You don’t have to.” I said back.

“Haven’t you heard that solo diving is dangerous?”

“Fine but you don’t have to stick next to me it’s not like I’m a newbie.” I said proudly.

“Me neither so just worry about yourself.” Jaehyun picked up his scuba gear. We then swam over to the Island that we were on yesterday.

 ‘I wonder is Ducky is going to be here?’ I wondered as I looked around.

“Still looking for that guy?” Jaehyun asked me

“Sort of.” I said

“Isn’t the cave down that canal?” Jaehyun asked me as we bobbed up and down in the water.

“Yeah I believe so. Let’s just start looking around here.” I said putting on the goggles.

“We’ll check on each other every now and then. How does ten minutes sound?” He asked me.

“Yes ten minutes is alright. What could possible happen besides seeing something amazing.” I said before putting on the mouthpiece. We the dived under the blue water. The water was so blue and clear which was just an amazing sight.  I glance over to see Jaehyun looking around just like me. I looked down to see that the sea bottom was very deep.

‘How did Ducky do this without a scuba gear?’ I said in my head.

‘I’m going that way.’ I pointed. Jaehyun then pointed the other way and so we split up for now. I dived down to the sea floor where all the coral and sea creatures were. I used my camera and recorded once in a while as I looked around. In an instant ten minutes went by. I looked around to find Jaehyun and saw that he was doing fine. We exchanged a signal with our thumbs up meaning that we’re both doing fine. I then swam a bit further down the canal as Jaehyun stayed out in the open sea.

‘Oh there are the sea urchins that Ducky got for me.’ I said in my head as I swam over. They definitely look more amazing underwater. I was just concentrating on recording when I began having an issue with the scuba tank. There seems to be water in the gear and so I began looking around.

‘What’s wrong with it?’ I panicked.  I check the tube and saw nothing wrong with it so the problem must be something else. I touched the mouthpiece and saw that it was loose. I decided to swim up to the surface but my feet got stuck when I was focused on fixing the tank.

‘Of all times.’ I panicked. I then pulled really hard to get my flipper out from between the rocks but I choked on the water.

‘I need help. Jaehyun’ those words were going through my head. I felt like I could no longer hold my breath. My arms and leg were getting less tense and my eyelids were getting heavy.

‘Jaehyun, you bastard, where are you when I need you’ I still manage to said in my head. My vision began getting blurred despite that I was wearing goggles. I was on the edge of being unconscious on the ocean bottom.

‘Is this how my life will end?’ I managed to wonder. My eyelids were heavy and so they shut down making me see darkness. Just then I felt something touching me. I wasn’t sure if it was real or not since I was losing it. My body felt really heavy as well as my mind. I was already unconscious; the third stage of drowning.

No one’s POV

Woobin’s body was still in the blue water. From a distance Ducky saw that Woobin was having a problem. Ducky hesitated at first but seeing that his friend was having trouble he decided to help. He quickly swam over.

‘Is he alright?’ Ducky wondered. He then held onto Woobin’s arm and check on his face through the goggles. He saw that Woobin’s eyes were closed and so he must be unconscious. Ducky looked at Woobin’s body and saw that his foot was stuck. He immediately pulled his foot out of the flipper and swam up to the surface with Woobin.

‘Is he alive?’ Ducky was shocked that Woobin wasn’t moving. He was so scared and didn’t know what to do. Ducky then swam over to the cave where he pulled Woobin out of the water. Ducky sat on the edge as he panicked over Woobin’s still body. He then fumbled to get all of the equipment off of Woobin’s face.

‘He needs air but how do I do it? I’ve never done anything like this.’ Ducky was flustered. He then remembered reading about drowned human. When humans swallow alot of water thecould eventually die. So in order to save human when they haveswallowed alot of water was to force the water out so that they could inhale air. With that Ducky used his hands and pumped Woobin's chest so that the water can come out. Ducky tried his best and did CPR on Woobin. After a moment Woobin spat out the water.

‘Oh it worked!’ Ducky was surprised and happy but he wasn’t sure it that was enough. Just then Ducky heard a yell.

“Woobin!!” Jaehyun was the one shouted.

‘Sorry Woobin I have to leave.’ Ducky was anxious but he had to leave.

‘Get better soon’ Ducky said in his head giving Woobin one last look before pushing himself back into the water. He then quickly swam away before Jaehyun saw him.

“What’s with him? Why did he leave his slipper?” Jaehyun wondered.

‘Maybe he’s in the cave and his flipper fell off.’ Jaehyun said in his head before swimming over to the cave.

“Yah Woobin what are you- Oh!” Jaehyun saw Woobin laying there on the cave’s floor.

“WOOBIN!!” Jaehyun rushed over. He climbed into the cave next to Woobin.

“Yah open your eyes.” Jaehyun panicked. He then performed CPR on Woobin. He did a few chest compression but nothing happened so he gave Woobin two rescue breaths. This time Woobin spit out more water and opened his eyes.

“Are you okay?” Jaehyun asked. Woobin began cough and cleared his throat.

“Did you just…?” Woobin touched his mouth.

“W-what did I just do?!” Jaehyun realized it and quickly wiped his mouth. Setting that problem aside Woobin looked around and realized that he was in a cave.

“What happened?” Woobin asked in a hoarse voice.

“How am I supposed to know? When I got here you were already here unconscious!” Jaehyun shouted. Woobin continued coughing as he sat up.

“I remember having issues with the mouth piece and was about to swim up to the surface when my flipper got stuck between the rocks. Afterwards I out.

“This flipper?” Jaehyun held up the flipper he found. Woobin looked down to his feet and saw that it was indeed missing a flipper.

“Huh, and you said you were a pro at this. YOU ALMOST DIED!!!” Jaehyun shouted.

“It’s not like I wanted to you bastard.” Woobin said back.

“So. You alright now?” Jaehyun went back into being worried.

“Yeah I’m fine. How did I get here though?” Woobin was confused. He tried recalling what had happened earlier.

‘I was unconscious in the water but how did I manage to get up here in the cave?’ He then remembered feeling someone touching him before he blanked out.

“You didn’t help me here?” He asked Jaehyun.

“No I was out there looking around. Ten minute was up and so I went looking for you. In the end I only found your flipper so I figured that you had gone out of the water.” Jaehyun explained.

“Ah my brain, ah my throat.” Woobin groaned.

“Well you swallowed salt water and you were unconscious.” Jaehyun said back.

“Could it be…?” Woobin wondered if it was Ducky.

“What?” Jaehyun was confused.

“Did you see anyone here earlier?” Woobin asked him.

“No it was just you. Maybe someone did help you before I arrived because I don’t think it’s possible for you to get here yourself without knowing.

‘He’s right and as for disappearing immediately the only person I can think of is you Ducky’ Woobin said in his head.

“Come let’s get you back for some rest.” Jaehyun  said before jumping into the water.

‘I want to go look around.’ Woobin said in his head.

“After drowning it’s best to have some rest. Let’s go.” Jaehyun waited for Woobin.

“O-okay.” Woobin put on his flipper and got into the water slowly.

“Can you swim?” Jaehyun asked him.

“Yeah.” Woobin answered. They then swam back to the shore slowly.

‘It must be you.’ Woobin looked back to the cave.

“Could it be that your strange friend saved you?” Jaehyun said to him.

“It could be.” Woobin said back.