Sleepless

That Strange New Friend

Woobin’s POV

‘When will this end?’

The body beside me is in excruciating pain yet there’s nothing I can do. All I can is watch him lie in this bathtub filled with ice cold water.

“Woobin-ah” He called out to me and so I franticly listened to him.

“Oh, what is it?” I leaned over since his voice was so faint.

“Can you… read me a book?” He asked of me.

“Read a book?” I was a bit surprise but it was definitely what something that Jongsuk would say.

“Of course. Let me go get a few.” I said getting up. I rushed to my office and rummaged the stack of book. I grabbed all of the ones that looked interesting and brought them back. Just as he wanted I sat there and read the books to him. They were mainly picture books so I showed him the drawings as I read the passage. It really helped him because I noticed that he was smiling. After a while he seemed like he had fallen asleep so I stopped reading. I wanted to keep watch of him but I was very tired as well.

Maybe I can sleep for a bit so that later I can continue taking care of him’ I decided since all of this will last till early morning just like last time. I closed my eyes and rested against the edge of the tub tiredly. It was a bit uncomfortable but that doesn’t matter right now. I may be uncomfortable but Jongsuk is in pain. I shouldn’t be complaining. I eventually fell asleep.

*cough * I thought I heard a cough.

‘Oh wait Jongsuk!’ I just remembered and quickly opened my eyes. I jerked up and stared at Jongsuk to check on him.

“Did I wake you up?” He said with a gentle smile.

“N-No… Are you okay? Are you thirsty?” I asked him concerned.

“I’m okay.” He pouted.

“Let me get you water.” I said since his lips seemed really dry.

“I can drink from this.” He motioned to the water in the tub.

“What are you saying? Let me go get you some drinking water!” I got up and ran to the kitchen. After getting a glass of water I rushed back to the bathroom. Right when I got in front of the door frame something caught me off guard. It was shiny and was in the shade of blue.

‘A tail…’ I didn’t believe my eyes. Jongsuk was lying in the bathtub and I could see a tail peeking out from a distance. I took a few steps back in disbelief.

‘Did he… turn back…’ I just thought. I found it hard to look at him but he seemed to be in shock about it all as well. I turned away to hide from him since I didn’t know what I should say to him. I was so shocked that the glass of water almost slipped out of my hands.

“No~” I his scared voice.

‘No… He needs me.’ I said to myself. I turned back around and walked into the bathroom.

“Jongsuk-ah!” I rushed over only to see… the tail was gone.

“Oh?!” He turned to me just as surprised.

‘It’s gone… What happened? Did I just imagined it?’ I wondered.

“W-Woobin…” He stared at me with wide eyes. He seemed flustered and uneasy. I walked over to him not sure of what to say.

‘Did I really see it?’ I questioned myself. I was preparing myself to confront him with the tail but that’s not the case right now…

“Uhh…w-water. I-I’m a bit thirsty.” He pointed to the glass of water in my hand.

“Oh, here.” I handed it to him. I stared at his legs still in disbelief.

‘Did I really imagined it? Maybe it’s because I didn’t have enough sleep last night?’ I was doubting what I saw. I then noticed that his underwear was off and was just sitting underwater.

‘Why is it off? When did he take it off? I helped him take his clothes off but we kept his underwear on. Unless… It happened last time as well…’ I switched my thoughts again believing that it did happen.

“Ahh~ I-I was really thirsty.. T-thanks for the w-water Woobin…” He sounded very nervous.

‘He’s hiding it. Why?’ I wondered.

“What happened?” I asked him straight out. This wasn’t something small that he can just hide it from me.

“Eh? W-what are you talking about?” He stuttered.

*hic * He got the hiccups.

‘So he’s lying? He knows what I’m talking about.’ I said in my head.

“You know what I’m talking about Jongsuk-ah.” I said kneeling down next to the tub.

*hic *

“Uhhh… W-what?” He said with a scared look.

‘Why is he hiding it? Is he scared that I’ll be mad?’ I wasn’t sure what I should say to him.

“I saw it.” I said trying not to overreact and scared him even more. His eyes then got teary.

Is he going to cr-‘

“Ahh~” He started bawling.

“W-why? What’s the matter?” I panicked.

*hic * He was crying and had the hiccups as well.

“Don't! Stop! Why are you crying?!” I was scared for him.

“Sorry~!!!”

*hic * he continued sobbing.

“Why are you apologizing? J-Just… admit it so that the hiccups would stop!” I said trying to help him somehow.

“I *hic * the tail came back.” He cried. The hiccups stop but he was still crying loudly.

“Okay, I saw it so there’s no need to hide it from me but why are you crying?” I pulled him in for a hug to calm him down.

“I’m scared~” He pouted as he hugged me.

“I’m right here. Just calm down.” I said giving him a minute to calm down.

“Why are you scared? Are you scared that I might be mad or upset?” I asked him since that seems like the problem.

“Mmhm~ I’m scared that Woobin… wouldn’t like me anymore.” He pouted which made me a chuckle a bit. It’s not because it was funny but it was ridiculous.

“What are you saying?! I will… I love you no matter what, you idiot!” I confessed to him. It’s not a very good time to confess but I did it anyways.

“I’m still scared.” He said softly.

“I’m... scared too but… more worried about what will happen to you. Are you okay? Why did your tail suddenly came back?” I asked him since I wanted to know for sure.

“I don’t know… I’m okay now.” He said loosening his grasp around me. I moved back and stared at his legs again.

“Are you still in pain?” I asked him.

“No.” He shook his head.

“Last time…” He seemed like he wanted to say something.

“It happened last time as well.” He said which I didn’t really understand.

“What?” I asked him.

“My tail… It appeared last time too.” He admitted.

“Ah… So it did happen…” I said.

‘So what I found really was a scale from your tail.’ I said in my head.

“It’s part of the curse then…” I said still in disbelief that all of this is real.

“M-Mhmm...” he nodded.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” I said touching his legs.

“Mmhm~ I’m okay.” He said moving his legs.

“There’s something..” He hesitated again.

“What is it? Don’t hide anything from me. I want to know everything so that I can help you” I said concerned.

“My tail… This time it lasted a bit longer.” He said timidly

“What do you mean?” I asked him confused.

“Last time it was just like a second that my tail appeared but just now… ummm… a few seconds?….” He said with a unsure look.

“It’s okay. Don’t worry. “I said trying to calm him down. His look just broke my heart.

“What if it last even longer the next time? What if my tail comes back completely and I won’t be able to be a human again.” He panicked.

“No, no. Don’t think like that. You have legs right now. It was only temporary.” I said hugging him. I didn’t want us to think about it like that but it was possible.

‘If he’s saying the truth then his tail might last longer each time there’s a full moon. I mean it’s not positive yet but...’ I said in my head since I wanted to reassure him not make him even more worried.

“You’re okay now and that’s all that matters.” I said patting his back.

“Can you get up? We should get you out of the water before you get sick.” I said

“Mmhm~ I can get up.” He said as he tried getting up.

“Wait a bit. Let me go get some towels.” I said as I rushed to grab some from the cabinet. After grabbing a few I wrapped them around Jongsuk and helped him out.

“I’ll carry you.” I said but he stepped back.

“I can walk.” He said but I didn’t let him.

“Just let me take care of you. Just this moment at least.” I said and just picked him up in my arms. I carried him back to my bedroom and set him down on my bed.

“Let me get you some clothes.” I said and ran to get some comfortable clothes for him. The curse may be over but he might still be able to catch a cold if he’s not careful. Once I helped him put his clothes on I tucked him in bed.

“You must still be tired. It’s still early so just go to sleep.” I said to him.

“Will Woobin sleep with me?” He asked me.

“Okay.” I smiled. I climbed into bed beside him and lay down.

“Don’t leave me.” He said hugging onto me.

“I won’t” I sighed. It was early morning and so much had happened.

“Go to sleep. If anything we can talk later.” I patted his head.

“Mmhm~” He hummed. I closed my eyes and was going to fall asleep when I suddenly recalled what happened earlier.

‘I love you no matter what, you idiot!’ I remembered that I said to him. I opened my eyes feeling uneasy.

‘Did I really say that to him?’ I was embarrassed about it now. The entire time I couldn’t sleep because that was all that’s on my mind.

‘I did mean it but did he understand me? Probably not…’ I just kept on thinking about it.