Come With Me

That Strange New Friend

Woobin’s POV

I wrapped the towel around my waist before stepping out of the shower. I leaned down and tied the strings to his sweatpants. He really had a tiny waist so I had to pull most of the string out in order to keep his pants snuggled above his hips.

“Done.” I said standing up. Just then my towel dropped and I panicked. I quickly picked the towel up and covered myself. I looked over to Ducky to see him smiling.

“I saw it~” He giggled.

“Aissh~” I just turned away and rewrapped the towel around my waist. He just continued giggling.

“Why are you giggling? What’s so funny?!” I asked him frantic.

“You made a mistake.” He continued giggling.

“It was an accident.” I turned away and began putting a t-shirt on.

“Yours is bigger than mine.” He said casually making me flustered.

“Don’t! Stop it! We’re not supposed to talk about these things.” I said loudly making him jump.

“Okay~” He pouted.

‘Did I scare him that much?’ I wondered. I just tried to shake it off and continued changing my clothes.

“Umm, go out there and wait for me.” I opened the door and told him to go out there for now.

“Oh.” He said softly and went out. I slightly closed the door so that he couldn’t look in but not closed it. I wouldn’t want him panicking in there all alone. I quickly finished dressing myself. When I was done I came into my bedroom to see him crouched over playing with the night lamp that was next to the bed. He was touching the lamp to make the light intensity change.

“What are you doing?” I snickered as I stared at him.

“Woobin, how is it doing this? Look~ anywhere I touch it changes.” He seems so fascinated.

“That’s because it a touch lamp. It changes each time you touch it.” I explained. He just continued touching it with a big smile plastered on his face.

“Stop it before the light bulb explodes.”

“EXPLODE?!” He seemed shock.

“N-no not like a big a explosion. I just meant a tiny one… J-Just.. don’t touch it too much.” I said sitting down on a chair awkwardly.

“Oohh.” He just nodded and sat down on my bed.

 “Sooo..” I said out loud but I didn’t know what to say or ask. This is pretty much mind blowing and I have no idea what to do next.

“Do you know… my talking?” He seemed to have asked me something but I couldn’t really understand him.

“W-what?” I turned to look at him

“My talking. Do you know?” He asked me shyly

“Are you asking if I understand what you’re saying?”

“Uh… yes” He nodded.

‘Right now? Oh wait he probably means if his ‘human’ language is understandable to me.’ I said in my head.

“Yes, it’s a bit hard to understand but I can figure it out.” I said smiling.

“T-that’s good.” He smiled bright.

“What about me? Do you know everything that I’ve been saying?” I asked him.

“A tiny bit.” He said cutely as he moved his thumb and index finger close to each other.

‘He is really like a child.’ I couldn’t help but smile. I walked over to the table for a glass of water.

“So you’re saying.. mermaids and magic are real in this world? That’s unbelievable.” I laughed as if it was ridiculous. I mean it was but it was also real so I don’t know what to feel about it.

“Can you still talk.. umm mermaid language or whatever you call it?” I asked him

“I don’t know. I don’t think so.” He said before he began bouncing up and down slightly.

‘He can’t even sit still for a minute.’ I said in my head.

“You said you learned Korean right? So why did you learn Korean and not English or some other human language?” I asked him.

“Because where I live is right under Korea. I thought it would be better.” He said smiling.

“Ahh~” I nodded.

“Well looks like it’s very useful to you now.” I said to him.

“Mmhhm~ I can talk to you” He giggled. I then got up to blow dry my hair. I walked over to the mirror and pick up the blow dryer. I turned it on and began drying my hair. I was looking in the mirror as I ruffled my hair to dry it. Off to the side I saw Ducky’s reflection.

“What?” I asked not looking at him.

“W-what are you doing?” He asked me.

“Drying my hair.” I turned to look at him before turning the blow dryer towards his face.

“Mhhhmm!” He panicked and backed away. I just laughed at him.

“You don’t like it?” I asked him.

“It’s hot.” He pouted.

“I’ll put it on cool for you.” I said adjusting the setting.

“Better?” I turned it towards him again.

“Oh, yes~ it’s just like the wind.” He giggled and got closer.

“Here sit down and let my dry your hair.” I said pulling the chair over to the mirror. He sat down happily and let my dried his hair. I dug my fingers into his hair carefully and ruffled his hair. I was definitely not born to be a hairdresser but this I could manage to do. His smile was from ear-to-ear and he was again so fascinated. He then moved one of his hands up and played around with his hair. His hand grazed against mines making me a bit nervous.

‘Why am I feeling like this? It’s not like I don’t know him or something. We’re friends.’ I said in my head.

“It’s all dry.” He said making me snap out of it.

“T-there. You should thank me now.” I said awkwardly.

“Oh, thank you.” He stood up and gave me a big bow almost folding his body in half making me giggle.

“Can I do it for you right now?” He asked me cutely.

“Umm sure.” I said and sat down. I turned the blow dryer on and handed it to him.

“Don’t hold it too close to my head.” I showed him one more time.

“Okay.” He giggled. He then moved his hand to the top of my head and played with my hair. I just stared at our reflection in the mirror. Well his reflection. He was just giggling away as he played with my hair. I didn’t know how long I was staring at him but he began calling out to me.

“Woobin. It’s done.” He handed me the blow dryer.

“Ha-ha~” He laughed out loud. I turned the blow dryer off and saw my reflection in the mirror.

“Oh yah. You made all of my hair stand up.” I giggled as I pushed my hair down.

“It looks so funny.” He laughed so much.

“Ayyy~ I should have watched you more carefully.” I said fixing my hair. I managed to fix it up a bit.

“Ummm. Oh you’re hungry right?” I asked him.

“Ye-“ He didn’t even finished talking when he glanced over to the wall abruptly. He then began backing away and rushed behind me.

“What?” I asked him.

“Someone is coming.” He said softly.

“What? How do you know?” I asked him

“I can hear it? Can’t you?” He asked me as he grasped onto the back of my t-shirt.

“Hear?...” I was confused.

‘I don’t hear anything..’ Just then there was a knock on my door

*knock- knock *

“Oh?” I was surprised.

“Woobin-sshi!” It was one of my men.

“Dinner is ready!” He shouted.

“Oh I’ll be there in a bit.” I shouted back. I peeked behind me to see Ducky clinging onto me.

“It’s okay. He should be gone now.” I told him as I turned around.

“Are you okay?” I asked him as I held onto either side of his arms.

“Mhh. He’s gone.” Ducky said softly. I’ve never seen Ducky so scared before and it just surprised me. I just wanted to hold him in my arms and protect him.

“Did you really hear him coming?” I asked him still a bit curious as to how he could hear my men.

“Mmhhm. I heard his feet.” He said shyly.

“Oh. Well what to do? We both have to eat.”

“I will eat.. with you?” He seemed to have asked me.

“Yes, unless you want to leave and find whatever is edible in the forest.” I said making me think more about it.

“What do you plan on doing for the future?” I asked him.

“Ummm I don’t know.” He said before sitting down on my bed.

“You want to live here on this island all by yourself?” I asked. This time Ducky actually sat there and thought about it.

“I guess so. What else can I do?’ He said carefree.

‘Living here all by himself? I don’t even want to think about it.’ I said in my head

“You can come with me to where I live.” I said to him hoping that he’ll agree.

“It’s okay. You had helped me a lot already.” He said roughly.

“I-If anything I can leave when someone else is going to come.” He said casually

“People rarely visit this island. Once a year is a most. I happen to come back because of you. I almost died out there in the ocean” I said worried for him.

“Mhhmm. I don’t know.” He looked down and fiddled his fingers around before picking at the hem of the t-shirt.

“Come with me. I’ll... I’ll help you. You can live with me.” I said making up my mind.

“Live… with you?” He seemed worried.

“It’s scary.” He pouted.

“What’s scary?” I asked him.

“Other humans.” He said softly with his head down.

“I’ll… protect you.” I said walking up in front of him and placed a hand on top of his head.

“Besides you look like a normal human being.” I said as I began patting his head to calm him down.

“Really?” He looked up at me.

“Really…” I said before giving him a smile. I wasn’t sure what I was getting myself into but I knew it was the right choice.

*grumble *

Ducky’s stomach made a loud noise. I just let out a giggle.

“Let me start by getting you food.” I said leaning down and caressing his face. I didn’t know why I did that but when I realized that it was awkward it was already too late. I then stood up straight and looked away.

“Umm wait here and I’ll bring you some food.” I said walking away quickly.

“Oh, you’re leaving me alone?” He sounded sad. I turned back to see him pouting at me.

“Only for a bit. I’ll be quick. Don’t worry.” I said as I opened the door. He seemed to have just heaved a sigh and watched me leave the room. I peeked out at first to see if there was anyone nearby. I gave Ducky one last look before closing the door.

‘It worries me to leave him alone even if it’s just for a few minutes.’ I said in my head.