Awkward but Happy

That Strange New Friend

Woobin’s POV

“Huhh~ hopefully these clothes would fit him.” I said and set the bags on the passenger seat. I just finished buying clothes for Jongsuk since mines didn’t fit him quite well. I think this the first time that I’m actually picking out clothes to buy let alone it’s for someone else. I even bought him some underwear, which was a bit awkward. I closed the door and started the car before driving home.  When I came home he was in the kitchen with Soonok Auntie probably preparing for dinner. I set the bags behind the couch so that I could surprised him later.

“Welcome home!” Soonok Auntie greeted me.

“Welcome home Woobin.” Jongsuk said and smiled.

“I’m home.” I smiled back to him. I looked at the table and there was a lot of food prepared.

“Woah~ so much food today.” I said getting ready to sit down.

“Go wash up first and then east.” Soonok Auntie said making me sigh.

“Okay Auntie. Are you going to stay for dinner?” I asked her.

“No, my son is taking me out for dinner tonight so I have to head home.” She said.

“Oh okay. Then are you leaving now?” I asked.

“Yes, enjoy your dinner. Jongsuk put in a lot of effort in making todays meal.” She said in which I glanced over to Jongsuk. He just gave me a shy smile.

“Oh, he’s learning a lot from you.” I said happily.

“Yes, he’s a great student.” He said back.

“Enjoy your meal you two.” She said and left.

“Thank you Auntie. Good night.” I greeted her.

“Good night Soonok Auntie.” Jongsuk said to her. Her taxi just arrived and so she got in and went home leaving us alone.

“Woobin, go wash up and then we can eat.” He said to me softly

“Okay.” I rushed to go change into some comfortable clothes and headed back downstairs. There I saw him sitting down in his spot staring at the plates on the table. When I came in he immediately sprung up. I just chuckled at his reaction.

“Why are you so surprised?” I asked as I sat down. He just looked down embarrassed.

“Let’s eat.” I said and picked up my chopsticks. I started eating and it was really delicious.

“You did a great job.” I praised him. He flashed me a smile before spacing out again.

‘What’s on his mind?’ I wondered. I watched his every move as I ate and he was just so out of it. I then glanced at his face.

What’s wrong with his lips?’ I said in my head since he kept on biting down on his bottom lip and pulling them in. He then looked up and so our eyes met.

*cough * I choked a bit. I then took a sip of my water to wash down the food.

 “Woobin-ah, should I get a surgery?” He asked out of the blue. I immediately coughed again this time choking on the water.

*cough *

“WHAT?!” I asked him as I wiped my mouth with a napkin.

‘Did I hear wrong?’ I said in my head.

“Surgery.” He pouted.

“Who?” I asked shocked and confused.

“Me.” He said innocently.

‘Just what is he talking about?’ I didn’t understand what he was trying to say.

“… Surgery for what?!” I still didn’t understand him.

“My lips…” He touched his lips and looked down. I was so confused and was going to yell but I knew that Jongsuk isn’t the one that’s joking or anything.

“Why would you want surgery on your lips?” I asked trying to understand him.

“You said they were too big…” He said and dropped his head.

“Ah…” I realized that it was my fault.

‘Because of me he actually thought about it…’ I felt bad

“No don’t… I didn’t mean it…” I said feeling so heavy in the inside. I then let out a chuckle since he was just too cute and innocent.

“Looks like I have to watch what I say.” I said to myself as I looked up to Jongsuk. He was just staring at me with wide eyes.

“I didn’t mean it that way. Just where did you get the idea of getting lip surgery?” I asked him.

“I asked Soonok Auntie and she said that surgery could make my lips smaller.” He explained it in such an innocent way. I just laughed making him stare at me.

“Oh Jongsuk-ah~” I literally was laughing.

“No, you can’t have surgery on your lips.” I said to him.

‘I doubt you can since you have no papers.’ I said in my head.

“Aren’t they too big?” He touched his lips.

“No” I shook my head.

“But you said-“

“Yeah but I didn’t mean it in a bad way. Yeah your lips are bigger than mine but they’re cute that way.”

“They’re… cute?” He seemed embarrassed.

“Soo.. Woobin doesn’t dislike them?”

“No, I don’t. I like them.” I said in which I thought about it.

“I’m sorry for making you worry. In the future don’t take everything I say so literally.” I said to him.

“Then just don’t lie.”

“But I wasn’t really lying, was I?”

“Then… Finish saying your thoughts. I was really worried.” He pouted.

“Okay, okay. I’m sorry.” I reached over and patted his head. He immediately smiled and rubbed his head against my palm.

‘He’s really like a pet.’ I smiled.

“Come one, let’s finish dinner before it gets cold.” I said.

“Mmhm~” He nodded and started eating like usual. He was now smiling and inhaling the food like how he usually eats.

“Huhh~” I sighed now that problem was solved. When we were done eating we got ready for bed. When he was upstairs in the bedroom I went to get the clothes I bought for him. The clothes I got for him were bright and cute since Jongsuk was such a happy character. I held the bags behind my back as I peered into the room. He was sitting in bed playing on the IPad.

“Jongsuk-ah, I bought something for you today.”

“Oh? What did you buy?” He peered up all excited. I then walked over to him with the bag still behind me.

“Oh?” He looked behind to see. I then set the bags down in front of him.

“I bought you some clothes.” I said.

“Really? Thank You Woobin-ah. Can I take them out?” he asked.

“Of course.”

‘He’s so polite. He even asked if he could take his present out.’ I smiled.

“Woah~” He took the clothes out carefully.

“I bought a few pajamas and some other comfortable clothes for you. Once you’re ready to go out I’ll buy you more nice looking clothes.”

“Oh… I really like these.” He said as he examined each one.

“Can I wear them right now?” He asked excited.

“I think we need to wash them first.” I said back.

“Oh…” He seemed disappointed.

“Oh underwear!” He picked them up. I bought some cute ones since I couldn’t help it. The were just too cute and would suit him.

“These would fit you better.” I said smiling.

‘I can’t believe I let you wear my underwear for the past week.’ I said in my head awkwardly.

“Thank you Woobin-ah~. Ah! This must have cost a lot of money. You didn’t have to.” He pouted.

“No, it wasn’t much. Don’t worry about money. I have a lot of it. If you want anything then just tell me I’ll buy it for you.” I smirked.

“Really? Woobin is really rich then.” He chuckled.

“Well my family is.” I said a bit embarrassed as I sat down beside him.

“Ummm, since Woobin gave me new clothes I want to give Woobin something as well.” He said which was so thoughtful of him.

“You don’t have to. What can you possibly give me?” I chuckled.

“Mmhm~” He thought about it.

“Well~ What does Woobin want?” He asked me. I just sneered at his cuteness. I really didn’t want him to get me anything since it would be troublesome for him but I knew that he would be really happy if I asked for something.

What can I ask for that’s not too difficult for him?’ I wondered. I then just thought of a simple gift that he can give me. I hesitated though since it was a bit embarrassing to ask.

“Can I get a hug then?” I asked him.

“Just a hug?” He tilted his head confused.

“Mmhm~” I nodded and opened my arms.

‘What am I doing? Kissing wasn’t awkward enough and now asking for a hug… What kind of happiness is this.’ I said in my head. I was definitely happy but it was just a bit awkward since we’re too close as friends.

“Then…Okay.” He said shyly before turning to me. He then leaned over and gave me a big hug. I immediately smiled feeling his warmth.

“How is it?” He asked me.

“It feels nice.” I said back.

“Your hugs are the best.” I said since his hugs just make me feel so relaxed.

“Then I’ll give Woobin lots of hugs.” He said making me smile even wider. He then let go of me and so I did the same.

‘Just what am I doing?...’ I questioned myself.

‘Is it because I haven’t been in a relationship for a while now?’ I wondered since I felt like I needed some sort of attention and affection from someone.

“Let’s put the clothes aside and go to sleep.” I said as I picked the clothes up.

“Oh okay.” He said and placed all of his clothes back in to the bags. I turned the lights off and we both laid down to sleep.

“Good night.” I said to him.

“Good night Woobin.” He said back in the dark. Today we went to bed early so I couldn’t really go to sleep yet. I glanced over to him and saw him moving around.

“Can’t sleep?” I asked him.

“Not really.” He pouted.

“Want to watch something for a bit?” I asked him. He turned around and scooted over towards me.

“Watch what?” He asked.

“I don’t know. Anything I guess.” I said reaching for the IPad. The screen and I could see his face clearly now. Just seeing him makes me smile. I then just searched the web and watched whatever that seemed interesting. We watched some k-pop music videos and then some shows. Watching the videos were fun but watching Jongsuk watch them was even more fun. He was so confused at times and at other times he gets amused so easily. After a while I noticed him nodding off and his eye were very tired looking.

“I’m sleepy too.” I said making him jump up a bit.

“Mmhm~” He groaned a looked at me as he rubbed his eyes.

“Let’s go to sleep.” I said turning the IPad off.

“Oh. Good night Woobin-ah~” He said and snuggled into his pillow.

“Good night Jongsuk.” I said back and laid down on my own pillow. I was really tired now so I could just fall asleep any second now. I rolled over onto my side facing Jongsuk. I peeked opened and saw that he was on his stomach facing me.

‘Why are you sleeping with me again?’ I smiled before closing my eyes. I moved my hand up and accidently bumped my hand against his. I was going to move my hand away but he just placed his hand on top of mines. I was surprised and so I opened my eyes and stared at him.

‘What is he…’ He was still sleeping so I just let it slide. It did feel nice though so I just left it alone and went to sleep.

The next morning  I woke up feeling a bit hard to breath. It felt like something was on top of me but I was just too tired to have a look. I wandered my hands around only to find something warm and heavy on top of me. I felt arms around me and something was tickling my nose and so I opened my eyes. I saw the crown of Jongsuk’s head right in front of me. I moved away a bit since it was tickling me. He was literally lying on top of me so I couldn’t really go anywhere. I glanced at his face and saw him still sleeping peacefully.

‘This is a king size bed yet he’s on top of me.’  I laughed quietly. I then stared at his  forehead where his bangs covered his eyes.

‘His hair is getting long.’ I touched his hair. I then ran my finger through is soft hair playing with it for a while. I smiled as I hugged him and closed my eyes. He started moving his legs against mines making me tense up.

‘I have a morning wood…’ I just realized it. He moved his legs around again this time against my crotch and so I just had to get away from him. I tried to get up carefully but I rushed and so I wasn’t as careful as I thought I was. I just got up and ran into the bathroom. I know that I woke him up for sure but this was an emergency. I stood over the toilet and just tried to pee so that it would go down.

‘This is totally normal. Nothing ual. Nothing erted.’ I said in my head since it was so awkward waking up with a with Jongsuk hugging me. Once I was able to pee everything was okay again. I washed my hands and went out to see him sitting on the bed. He head was tipped over and he seemed asleep.

What is he doing? Sleeping while sitting?’ I wondered as I walked over to him. I glanced at his face under his dangling hair but it seemed like he was asleep. I carefully sat back down in my spot.

“Mmhm~!” He lifted his head up and looked over to me tiredly.

“Oh! I’m sorry. Did I wake you up?” I said since I woke him up when I rushed to the bathroom earlier.

“Mhmm~ Good night~.” He said smiling and just hugged onto me. I wasn’t sure if he was really awake or still asleep since he was mumbling. I then just laid down carefully and he just snuggled up against me.

‘Why is he hugging me?’ I was confused.

Did he went back to sleep?’ I wondered. Since it was still too earlier I just let him hug me and went back to sleep. It was a bit awkward but it did feel nice so I was able to fall back asleep. The next moment I woke up due to my alarm ringing.

“Ugh~” I groaned.

“Mmhm~” I heard another groan other than my own. I didn’t want to wake up so I just let it continue ringing since it wasn’t really that annoying.

“Ahh~!” I groaned opened my eyes since something heavy was on top of me all of a sudden. It was Jongsuk and he was sitting on top of me. I stared at him surprised and saw that he just wanted to take my phone that was on my night table. He wasn’t actually sitting on top of me but he hovered over me on his knees with me in between his legs. He was tapping and swiping on my phone probably to turn the alarm off since it stopped.

“Huhhh~” He yawned as he covered his mouth.

“Jongsuk-ah..” I called out to him since he was getting too comfortable on top of me. He finally noticed that I was awake and so he greeted me with a smile.

“Oh, good morning Woobin.” He smiled brightly.

“It’s time to wake up.” He said happily.

“Oh… can you get off of me?” I asked him.

“Oh~ yes~!” He giggled and got off of me.

“Huhh~” I yawned as I sat up and stretched my arms. We just sat there tiredly as we tried to stay awake.

“Did you have a good sleep?” I asked him.

“Mmhm~” He nodded with a big smile.

“I could have guessed so. You were hugging me to tightly.” I .

“I was?” He seemed surprised.

‘What? So he was sleep?’ I was surprised.

“Oh… I think I was…” He said unsure. I just chuckled as I got up.

“Time for a shower.” I said walking to my closet for some clothes. I first got some clothes for Jongsuk since he still needs to wear mine until we wash his new clothes. Once we got our outfit for the day we split up and took a shower.  As I was showering I remember what had happened early morning and just shivered.

“Good thing he was asleep. It would have been even more awkward.” I said to myself as I washed up. When I was done I glanced down the hallway to see him still in the bathroom.

“Tsk~ he has his own room with a bathroom yet he uses that one and sleeps with me.” I sneered. I went back into my room to dry my hair and style it. When I was almost done with my hair I saw his reflection coming into the room from the mirror.

“Woah~ Woobin’s hair is specially nice today.” He said making me smile.

“I just felt like doing it today.” I smiled as I finished up with spraying my hair with hairspray. When I was done I glanced over to him and saw his drenched hair. His hair was quite long like a girl’s.

“Your hair is getting really long.” I said to him.

“Really? This is still really short for me.” Jongsuk pushed his hair behind his ear.

“Really? Do merfolks keep their hair long, both males and females?” I asked.

“Yes.” He nodded

“Then why is your hair short” I asked him.

“Oh…” He seemed sad.

“It’s okay if you don’t want to talk about it.” I said since I felt like he was uncomfortable about it.

“No, it’s okay.  I used to have long hair but some classmates teased me and just cut my hair short.” He said touching his hair.

‘”What? That’s terrible of them. What kind of classmates are they?” I got mad just listening about them.

“Yeah… but It’s okay. I’m use to it.” He said touching his hair.

‘He seemed mature just now unlike his usual child-like behavior.’ I said in my head.

“So human males usually have short hair?”

“I suppose so. It’s whatever you want though. Some men would want long hair and some women would want short hair.” I explained to him.

“Ohh.” He nodded.

“Come over here. I’ll help you dry your hair.” I said picking up the blow dryer. Just smiled and ran over to me. I pulled the chair over and let him sit down while I stood behind him to dry his hair. He was smiling the entire time in which was so cute.

“Why are you smiling?” I asked him.

“Because I’m happy.” He giggled.

“Why?” I asked him.

“Because Woobin is drying my hair. It feels really nice.” He said in which I smiled.

“You should be glad that I’m doing this for you. I’ve never done anyone else’s hair before.” I said back.

‘I’ve actually done a lot with you that I wouldn’t usually do with anyone.’ I said in my head. His long locks started to dry up and is now back to being soft and shiny. His hair was so nice to play with especially since it was slightly long. I ruffled his bangs to let them dry before fixing it up. Jongsuk just sat there smiling and giggling like a little kid.

“All done.” I said turning the hairdryer off.

“Thank you Woobin. My hair feels so nice now.” He touched his hair.

“Mmhm~ let’s go eat breakfast.” I said and we both headed downstairs. After eating breakfast I went to school leaving him at home alone. I was a bit concerned but Soonok Auntie was on her way there.

‘When can we possibly go out together?’ I wondered since Jongsuk has been inside the house the entire time he’s been here.