First Meal Together

That Strange New Friend

Woobin’s POV

I left the room and walked down to the dinning area. On the table I saw plenty of food but then it hit me.

‘What does Ducky eat?’ I wondered.

‘Does he eat meat? Fish? Is he a vegetarian then?’ I didn’t know.

‘I’ll just take some of each.’ I decided and took a plate and started with some fruit. My two men then came over to me.

“Ummm. I would like to eat in my bedroom.”

“Oh yes. We’ll just take all of it to your room for you.” They said making me panic.

“Uh wait. Ummm I’ll do it myself. You two can go eat your meal.” I said trying to make them to leave me alone.

“We’ll get you the cart then.” One of them said and left.

“Oh yes that would make it easier.” I stood there and waited for the cart. When he came back with the cart I loaded every plate onto the cart.

‘I have the feeling he doesn’t eat fish.’ I said trying to decided whether or not to take the fish dishes.

‘I’ll just put it the bottom layer and have the drape cover it.’ I decided.

“Oh uh do you two want anything?” I offered

“No it’s fine. We have our own food in the kitchen.” They said to me.

“Okay then. I can do the rest myself. Thanks.” I said and pushed the cart. I breathe out as I pushed the cart down the hallway.

‘Am I acting too obvious?’ I wondered as I looked back. They were no longer there so they’re probably not that curious as to what I’m doing. When I approached my room I opened the room and peeked in. I saw Ducky standing right there happily.

“Oh, and I thought you would be scared.” I said holding the door as I pulled the cart in.

“I knew it was just you.” He said happily.

“How did you know?” I was still so curious.

“I know the sound of your walking” He said.

‘Sound of my walking? Hmmm maybe it’s a mermen thing to have good hearing or something.’ I said in my head. Once the cart was in I closed the door behind me.

“Woah~ all of this is food?” He pointed with wide eyes.

“Yes.” I giggled. He then walked backwards following the cart and ended up tripping over his own foot.

“Oh, are you okay?” I was surprised yet I wanted to laugh so bad.

“Ah it hurts~” He rubbed his knee.

“You should be more careful.” I walked over and helped him up on his feet.

“Just how long did you have feet?” I asked him.

“Hmmm.. Not that long ago… A bit after you went away.” He said in broken sentences.

“You should practice walking then.” I said to him.

“What do you usually eat when you were a mermen?” I asked him as I set everything on the table.

“Ummm, when I was a mermen I ate sea plants.”

"I guess you can eat fruits and vegetables with no problem.” I said setting those plates closer to him.

“Have a seat.” I said to him.

“Oh.” He plopped himself down the seat on the end.

“Can you eat fish?” I asked him before taking the fish dishes out.

“No, I can’t” He made a face and shook his head.

“Oh.. okay then. Dinner is ready.” I pushed the cart away and ignored the fish dishes underneath the drape. I placed an empty plate in front of him along with utensils before sitting down across from him.

“You know how to use those right?” I asked him about the utensils.

‘Didn’t the little mermaid use the fork as a comb or something?’ I tried remembering the story.

“Yes. I know. This you stab to get the food and this to cut.” He held up the fork and knife.

“Yes, and the spoon is for liquids like this soup.” I pointed.

“Oh. There’s so much.” He looked so amazed.

“Can you eat meat?” I asked him.

“I’ve never tried eating meat but most humans eat meat right?” He asked me

“Well yes some do and some don’t.”

“I’ll try it then.” He said holding his fork up all excited.

“You don’t have to force yourself. There’s plenty of vegetables and fruits.”

“I want to. This is meat right?” He pointed with his fork like a child.

“Y-yes. You’ll need to cut it.” I said a bit worried.

“I can do it.” He said confidently while holding his fork and knife. I picked the steak dish up and moved it over to him.

“Be careful” I said as I watch him hold the utensils oddly and tried cutting the steak.

‘This worries me.’ I said in my head as I stared at him. He was making grunting noises as he tried to cut into the piece of meat.

“Huhh~” I sighed and got up. I moved my chair over beside him and sat down. I the pulled the steak over in front of me and began cutting it up for him.

“I could have done it.” He pouted.

“Next time.” I said as I cut a small piece and placed it on his plate.

“Try it first and then I’ll cut more.” I said to him.

“Okay” He stabbed the piece of steak ruthless with his fork before bringing it up to his mouth. He put the whole thing in his mouth and began chewing.

“Oh it taste weird.” He said as he chewed it.

“Spit it out if you don’t like it.” I grabbed a piece of paper towel for him.

“No. it’s fine. I like it.” He smiled happily.

“I’ll cut more for you then.” I also smiled.

“What is this called?” He asked me

“It’s called steak. The meat itself came from a cow which you call beef.” I explained hopefully he understood everything.

“Oh then is has three different names?” He was indeed confused.

“Kind of. When it is still alive it’s call a cow. When the meat is already cut off it’s beef. When the beef is cooked it’s steak.” I tried explaining it in a simple way.

“Ohh… Humans are indeed savages.” He said making me stare at him.

“You… don’t think so?” He asked me innocently.

“No-no, you’re right.” I shook it off with a chuckle

“Oh not you of course. Woobin is nice.” He giggled.

“Thanks I guess.” I giggled

“So this came from a living cow?” He asked me.

“Y-yes..” I was worried about how he felt about eating meat now.

“I’m sorry cow for eating your meat… but it taste okay.” He said making me laugh. I continued cutting out tiny little rectangles and piled it onto his plate.

“Woobin, you should eat it too.”

“It’s fine. There are a lot of other foods to eat. Don’t forget to eat the others as well.” I said to him.

“Yess~!” He said loudly.

‘That’s the loudest that I’ve heard from him.’ I chuckled in the inside. I glanced over to him and saw him trying to stab a cherry tomato.

“Eyya~” He hissed as he tried over and over again.

“Just use your hand.” I told him.

“Ohh” He reached his bare hand out to grab the cherry tomato. Right when he dropped it into his mouth and chewed it he made a sour face.

“Ohh~ I don’t like it.” He pouted. I just giggled at him.

“Here’s all the steak. Eat up.” I already finished cutting up the steak. I just stared at him as he ate.

“Aren’t you going to eat?” He asked me.

“I am.” I said eating a piece of salad.

‘It’s a good thing that they always made more than enough for me to eat.’ I said in my head.

“What’s this?” He asked me

“Grapes.”

“I like it”

“What’s that?” He would keep on asking me. Usually if someone ask me a lot of questions I would get really annoyed but to ducky I’m fine with it. Maybe because he was so innocent and… well cute. You know like a child being curious about everything.

“So What’s your real name?” I asked him again making him unhappy. I could tell because his smile immediately disappear

“I… don’t want to talk about it.” He said as he chewed slowly on the salad.

“Oh. I’m sorry.” I apologized.

“May I ask about you family and friend then? … Ummm I’m really curious.” I said hoping that he wouldn’t feel too sad or anything.

“I don’t have an umma or appa. I was raised by someone else. I call him grandfather.” He said with a smile but then the smile disappeared.

“What happened?” I asked him.

“My grandfather recently passed away.” He said with his head down.

“Oh I’m sorry again. Maybe I shouldn’t ask you anymore.” I said feeling bad.

“No, it’s okay. Woobin helped me when he doesn’t know anything about me. I’ll tell you whatever I can.” He said cutely.

“Okay then… So what about friends?” I asked him.

“None..” He said softly.

‘I just makes things even more worse.’ I said in my head. Although I was curious as to why he has no friends, I didn’t ask him. I didn’t want him to be unhappy.

“Okay then…” I didn’t know what to ask him next. I then remembered what happened earlier when he had the hiccups.

“So about you lying… Whenever you lie you get the hiccups?” I asked him. He just paused and thought about it.

‘What is he thinking about?’ I wondered.

“Uhhh… Maybe…” He hesitated.

“Why?”

“Why?..” He asked himself.

“Ummm, it’s because of the sea witch.” He said taking a bite out of a melon slice.

“What did she do? Cast a spell so that you cannot lie?”

“Yes, something like that.” He said before his lips.

“Then what if you continued lying like before?” I asked him since I was curious.

“I don’t know. She didn’t tell me.” He giggled. He then fed me a piece of melon.

“You don’t have to feed me.” I said to him a bit surprised by his action.

“But your stomach is calling and you’re not feeding it.” He said cutely.

“Ah, I’m eating.” I quickly ate the piece of melon from his fork and continued eating.

“Is there anything else that would happen because of the sea witch?” I asked him. He had to think about it for a bit.

“Noth-“ He stopped halfway.

“I mean… There’s something but you don’t have to know.” He giggled awkwardly.

‘He’s hiding something.’ I just knew it.

‘Well if he doesn’t want to tell me then I shouldn’t force him.’ I said with a smile.

“So why did you want to become human?” I continued asking him.

“Ohhhh well they are such an amazing species. They can do just about anything. Run on land with tigers, fly in the sky with birds, and even swim underwater with fishes. Unlike merfolks all we could do is just swim with fishes.” He said all passionately. He was just so cute I wanted to pinch his cheeks.

“Well that’s kind of true. But they don’t really run with tigers… Tigers could end up eating us.” I giggled.

“Oh really?” He then continued talking in broken sentences about his interest on humans. In my head though I just thought about him.

‘What would he have done if I didn’t come here? Would he be able to survive on his own?’ I wondered.

“Oh can I ask Woobin questions? “His eyes lit up.

“Sure go ahead.” I said taking a sip of my water.

“Ohhhh…” He thought about it. He probably has a ton of questions for me as well.

“All the humans from before that was here.. Do you know all of them?” He asked me with wide eyes.

“Are you asking if they’re my friends?” I asked him.

“Uh-huh~” He nodded

“Some of them are my friends.  But they are all my friend’s friend.” I said so that he could easily understand me.

“Oh. You’re friend knows all of them?” He seemed surprised.

“Yes, he’s really popular at the University.” I said giggling.

“U-univers…?” He seemed confused.

“It means school.” I explained.

“Ahhh~” He nodded.

“He’s amazing then.” He said all shy.

“You want to make that many friends?” I asked him.

“I don’t think I can” he shook his head with a scrunched up nose.

“Oh that’s right. You saved me right? When I was diving and lost conscious?” I asked him.

“Hmmm?” He cocked his head to the side.

“When I was swimming underwater and… wasn’t awake.”

“Ahh~! When you almost died? Yes, I… helped you” He said all shy.

“I knew you did. Thank you for saving me” I said smiling to him. He then put his fork down and squeezed his body tightly in one spot acting all shy.

“What’s the matter?” I giggled at him.

“It’s the first time someone, other than my grandfather, said thank you to me.” He said with his head down. I don’t know why but I reached over and patted his head. When my hand touched his head and tensed up a bit.

“Umm, I’m sorry.” I said and retreated my hand.

“N-no it’s okay.  He said and leaned his head over to me. I just sneered before patting his head.

“He-he~ I like it” He giggled as he looked up at me. I was a bit surprised to see his expression like that. I was almost flustered because of him.

“Hurry up and finish eating it’s getting late.” I told him as I stopped petting his head.

“Oh.” He nodded. Although I wasn’t that full, just watching him eat made me full. He was such a good eater. Maybe it’s because he was hungry.