What Happened?

That Strange New Friend

No one’s POV

I decided to take a stroll on the island hoping that when he gets back Ducky would be awake. I was a bit worried leaving Ducky by himself but I had to relax myself. When I got back on the boat I saw my men approaching me.

“Should we start heading out now?” They asked me.

“Huhh~ mmhhm okay we’ll start heading back now.” I said to them

“Yes, sir” They said and went off to do their job.

“Hopefully he’s awake now.” I said with a forced smile. I walked back to my room and saw that the blanket was still piled high on top of the bed. I closed the door quietly and walked over to the side of the bed.

“He’s still asleep.” I sighed. I then sat down beside him just hoping that he will wake up but he didn’t.

‘Do I have to wake him up?’ I asked myself.

‘Would it make a difference? Would he refuse to go with me?’ I kept on having questions. The entire time I sat there I just stared at his peaceful face and having the fear of… being reject I suppose. I’ve been rejected by girls before but this was something different. Well first of all I don’t love him. It’s just…. I just want him to be with me. He NEEDS me! Just then the boat began moving.

“Ah~ Whatever” I gritted my teeth and in the courage. I reached over and pulled the blanket away a bit so that I can where the rest of his body was. He was so I didn’t pull much of the blanket away. I then my lips nervously as I reached over to him. I shook his shoulder lightly and waited.

“Ducky~” I shook him lightly again but this time I called out to him.

‘It’s actually a bit weird calling him Ducky.’ I just realized it. He was moving a bit but he still didn’t wake up.

“Ducky~ wake up.” I said a bit louder. I saw that his eyes twitched and he started moving his limbs. He parted his lips and closed it a few times before he finally opened his eyes. He blinked a few times before looking around. When he saw me he flinch and seemed completely awake now. I couldn’t help but to smile at him.

“Good morning” I said softly.

“M-morning” He said timidly and the pulled himself under the blanket a bit like a turtle retreating into his shell.

“Did you have a good sleep?” I asked him.

“Mmmhm~” I saw his head bobbing. Again I let out a smile because of his cuteness. My smile slowly disappeared when the boat was officially setting off parting from the island.

“Ducky.” I called out to him and pushed the poufy blanket aside to see him. He was resting his head on his arm as he lay on his stomach. He peered up at me with such innocent eyes.

“We’re… leaving now”

“Leaving? Where?” Ducky sat up abruptly .His bare chest was revealed and even his…well lower area…. I quickly turned away awkwardly.

“We’re leaving the island.” I said to him.

“What?” He seemed really surprised.

‘Why is he so surprised? Does he really not want to go with me?’ I wondered.

“We’re going to my home now.” I said trying to only focus on his face. His eyes were wide and his lips were slightly parted.

“Really?” He said loudly before looking around. Ducky then climbed off the bed but then fell to the ground because his legs were tangled in the blanket. I quickly walked over to him and helped him up.

“Are you okay?” I asked as I draped the blanket over his shoulders.

“Y-yes.” He said nervously.

“Why did you take all of you clothes off? You’re going to get sick like this.” I said softly.

“Oh. Sowwie~ Wearing clothes when sleeping is not comfortable” He said softly with his head down.

“It’s okay. Just cover yourself with this.” I said fixing the blanket around his neck. I noticed that his ears were turning red.

‘Is he nervous? Embarrassed?’ I asked myself in my head.

“So what did you wanted to do?” I asked him.

“Oh yes!” He rushed over to the window and peered outside.

“We’re moving more and more away.” He touched the glass where the island was.

“Do you want to stay?” I said him as I stood beside him. He didn’t answer me.

“We’re going to Woobin’s home?” He asked me.

“Yes, but if you don’t want to I can turn the boat around and let you go back to the island.” I said even though I didn’t want to.

“No. It’s okay.” He said making me lift my head up.

“What?” I asked him.

“I’ll go to Woobin’s home.” He said as he continued staring outside.

“Really?”

“Really what?” He asked me confused.

“You will go with me?”

“Mmmhm~” He nodded and smile. I immediately returned his smile and my hand automatically reached over to him for a hug. I was going to hug him but then I stopped since that would be awkward. He seems to have noticed that I froze so he decided to just leap into my arms. I was quite surprise by his sudden action.

“This?” He asked cutely.

“Uhh yes.. but …” I didn’t know what to say. Instead I just fixed my embrace around him and the blanket.

“This is called a hold right?” He said cutely

“No. Hug.” I corrected him.

“Oh.” He nodded

“Do humans hug each other when they are happy like merfolks?” He asked me.

“Yes.” I replied as I pressed my head against the side of his head lightly.

“Does that mean you are happy now?” He continued asking

“Yes I am” I answered

“Why are you happy?” He asked me and made me think about it.

“Because you’re coming with me” He just stayed quiet and slowly moved his arms away since we were like that for a long time. I quickly took a step back and cleared my throat. He glanced over to me but the turned away when our eyes met.

“What?” I asked him.

“N-nothing.” He said and turned away even more.

“Why are you not looking at me?” I asked him.

“It’s weird” He said softly

“Why is it weird?” I was curious. I walked over into front of him to see his face but he dodged away.

“Do I look scary?” I giggled. I get that a lot so I won’t be surprise that Ducky is scared of me.

“A little but…it’s strange…” He said peeking at me once in a while.

“You mean it’s awkward?” I asked him before sitting down on the bed.’

“Yea, awkward.” He said and sat down beside me.

‘What do you know? I probably feels more awkward since he’s .’ I said in my head.

“So how did you sleep?” I asked him so that it could be less awkward.

“Many good~” He giggled

“It’s ‘really good’.” I corrected him.

“It’s the same~” He pouted.

“No it’s not” I chuckled.

“Are you hungry?”

“No-huhh~” He gave a big yawn.

“Do you want to sleep a bit longer?” I asked him. He gave me a nod and so I got up so that he can get on the bed.

“I this this many.” He said as he got comfortable underneath the thick poufy blanket.

“It’s ‘I like it a lot’” I corrected him again. He was just like a child talking and it was so cute especially when he makes a mistake.

“Woobin, are you going to come up here?” He sat up and peered over to me.

“Ummm sure.” I smiled and sat down on my side of the bed. He sudden froze as if he was concentrating on something.

“What’s the matter?” I asked him.

“It feels weird.” He said with a small smile but then seemed a bit nervous. I then tried to figure out what he was trying to say. I realized that the boat was rocking pretty roughly so that was what he was trying to say.

“You have never been on a boat before have you?” I asked him. He gave me a nod.

“This is my first time. And it’s moving.” He smiled widely as he glanced out the window.

“Does it feel scary?” I asked him

“No. Just strange. I’m moving through the water but I’m not wet.” He giggled. I then reached over and ruffled his hair.

“You have yet to try many new things.” I giggled. He smiled widely but then turned away.

‘He’s so shy’ I said in my head.

“Look at me.” I said to him.” He peeked at me but then looked elsewhere.

“Why?” He asked me.

“We’re friends and we will be seeing each other a lot so shouldn’t we get use to it?” I said to him.

“We’re friends...” He repeated before looking over to me. He stared right at me for a very long time and didn’t turn away.

“Do you like me?” He asked me. I thought about if for a bit.

‘Would it be weird if I said yes? I mean I do like him as a friend. I doubt that he would have other thoughts’ I said in my head.

“Yes. You are my friends and so I like you. Which is also why I am helping you.” I said back.

“I…. feel very happy” He said shyly. I chuckled before fixing the blanket to cover him up. Just then he pounced on me for a hug.

“W-what are you doing?” I stuttered.

“I’m happy so I’m giving you a hug.” He said all cheery.  I wanted to tell him that guys shouldn’t hug each other but I kept quiet and returned his hug. After a few seconds I realized that I was hugging his bare body.

“Yah!” I panicked and pushed him away. My heart was racing so fast that I though it had leapt out of my chest.

“W-what?” Ducky was confused.

“You’re not wearing clothes!” I said trying to hide my flustered face.

“Ah~! Sowwie” He giggled.

‘How am I going to live with him? I just might die from a heart attack sometime soon if he doesn’t get into the habit of wearing clothes.’ I said in my head as I massaged my temples.

“I’m going to sleep.” He said lying down and pulled the blanket over his head.

“Don’t cover your head. You won’t be able to breathe.”  I said looking over to him. He fumbled underneath the blanket before peeking his eyes out of the edge of the blanket.

“Is Woobin going to sleep?” He asked me

“Should I?” I raised a brow with a smile.

“Why are you asking me?” He asked innocently.

“It’s just-“ I was cut off when the entire boat tilted to one side roughly.

“What’s going on?” Ducky was surprised.

“I don’t know.”  I was surprised as well. I looked out the window and saw that the sky seemed gloomy.

“Umm Ducky. You stay here okay. I’m going to go check what’s going on.” I said as I got up.

“Oh. Hurry okay.” He said to me as he sat up.

“I will. Stay here.” I emphasized since I just had the worry of losing him whenever I’m not beside him. After seeing him nod I opened the door and walked to the control room. When I got there I saw that there seems to be a storm right now.

“Is it another storm?” I asked my two men.

“Yeah, just like when we came to the island. There is just so much wind that the waves are getting bigger and bigger. There’s a high chance that the boat might get knock over.” One of them said worried.

“It’s so strange. The storm only happens when we come and leave the island” I groaned as I looked outside through the big glass window.

“It must be true then. The island is cursed.” My other men said.

“Cursed?”

“There’s been a rumor that this island is cursed. No one can come and go safely except for a specific time period in a year.”

“Ahh~ I heard of that but… Can it be real?” I asked as I continued looking outside at the dark sky.

‘A curse? It could be real I mean there’s a merman in my bedroom. Well former merman.’ I said in my head.

“Woah~” I tumbled when a big wave hit he boat.

“Hold on sir. It’ll only get rougher.” He said to me.

“Are we even getting anywhere further?” I asked him.

“The engine is running but the waves kept on pushing us backwards so we’re stuck in this spot. After a few minutes of talking to them and trying to figure out a plan we had nothing. All we could do is hope the storm dies down soon and that the boat and withstand through all of this.

“Sir, maybe it’s best to have your life jacket beside you just in case.” They suggested.

“Okay but what’s the point of a life jacket when there’s no boat nor help?” I said back.

“It’s better than nothing.” They said. I was so worried but I had even more things to worry about many Ducky. I rushed back to my room worried for Ducky because he must be so confused and scared. I opened the door and hurried inside. I looked over to the bed and saw that he was not there.

‘Where is he?’ I was shocked. I looked into the bathroom but the door was open and no sign of him in there. I ran over to the bed and patted down the blanket but he wasn’t there.

“His clothes are gone too.” I said softly as my heart skipped a beat. I didn’t know what was going on nor do I know what to do.

“Where did he-“ I paused when I saw a broken glass on the floor near the table. I wasn’t sure if it was because the boat was rocking or that it was because of Ducky but it worried me.

“No… He… He must be somewhere around here” I said to myself before striding over to the closet. I opened it but he wasn’t in there. That was the last place in my room and he was not there so where could he be. I continued searching outside of my room despite the intense rocking of the boat.

‘Where is he? Why is he not in the room?’ I kept on asking myself. I went back to the control room and only saw my two men trying to handle the boat through the hectic waves.

“Is something the matter sir?” One of them asked me.

‘Should I?’ I thought about asking them but I couldn’t

“Nothing. Just continue.” I said and walked away. I went outside to the front and looked around but there was nothing but intense wind and splashing seawater.

‘Ducky please be okay.’ I said in my head as I continued walking around the boat.

“DUCKY!” I shouted hopefully he would hear me. He should hear me because he has extremely good hearing. My men wouldn’t hear me though since it was really loud outside. Just then the storm quiet down. The wind was now just a calm breeze and the boat was now slicing through the water. The clouds in the sky were slowly disappeared and the blue sky was peeking out.

“What happened?” I was surprised. I stopped and wondered about it for a bit since it was so sudden. It was just for a split second because I went right back into looking for Ducky. When I got to the back of the boat I looked around but again I was disappointed.

“Please don’t tell me he jumped into the water.” I panicked and scanned the water.

‘Maybe he had something to do with the curse?’ I began trying to think of a reason but I couldn’t my mind was just jumbled up.

“Ducky, where are you?” I said to myself and continued walking around the boat.

“Du-“ I stopped when I saw a body on the floor in the corner.

“DUCKY!” I ran over to him and crashed down beside the body. It was in fact Ducky however he was unconscious and…

“B-blood…” My eyes widened and my jaw dropped.


Sorry for not updating in a long time.

I've been busy with school =.=

And sorry for ending this chapter with something tragic...

Thanks for reading!

Also there have been a mermaid K-drama called Surplus Princess and it had some good ideas.

So I have this poll since I can't decide myself whether Jongusk aka Ducky should be able to turn back into a merman temporary.

For example in the drama the girl's leg turned into a tail whenever her legs were wet.

If everyone agrees with the idea then I'll think of a different way but for now just vote ^-^

Personally both seems to be good so help me decide!

Yes, if Jongsuk should be able to have tail temporary because that would be cute!

OR

No, he shouldn't! He should just be a regular human from now on!