New Look

That Strange New Friend

Woobin’s POV

I went to school and then came back home in the late afternoon. Soonok Auntie had already left and so it was just Jongsuk at home. I opened the door and didn’t see him nor did I hear him. It was unlike him to not hear me since he could even hear things from outside.

‘Where is he?’ I wondered.

“Jongsuk-ah~!” I shouted.

“Yes~!” I heard his voice upstairs. I looked up and saw him running down the stairs. It was him but it also wasn’t him. He’s wearing the new clothes I got for him and his hair… It was shorter and was a different color.

‘What’s going on?’ I was shocked.

“Welcome home Woobin-ah~!” He shouted. I just stared at his new appearance as he got closer and closer.

‘He looks so… good looking and cute.’ I said in my head. I could keep my eyes off of him.

“Woobin?” He called out my name in which I finally snapped out of it.

“O-oh.” I blinked and shook my head.

“Jongsuk-ah… Your hair..” I wanted to touch it to see if it was real.

“How is it? Soonok Auntie did it for me.” He said and showed my the crown of his head.

“It’s all short and the color is lighter.” He said touching his hair as he turned his head so that I could see all around.

“Y-yeah… But why? Didn’t you want to keep your hair long?” I asked still shocked.

“Mmhm~ But Woobin wanted my hair short.” He said in which just squeezed my heart.

‘He really does listen to me. A little bit too much and too serious.’ I said in my head feeling so bad.

“You listened to me again? Even though I said you don’t have to listen to me.” I said and touched his hair.

“It’s okay. I like what ever Woobin likes.” He smiled. He seemed happy but I wasn’t sure if he was.

“Are you okay with it?” I felt so bad.

“Mmhm~ I like it.” He smiled widely.

“Oh and Woobin’s new clothes for me.” He said turning around as he held onto the hem of his shirt.

“I like it.” He chuckled.

“Mhmm~ it looks good on you...” I said still in shock.

“Jongsuk-ah…” I called out to him.

“Hmm?” He cocked his head.

“Can I… hug you?” I asked since that was the only thing on my mind for some reason. Jongsuk just stared at me innocently. He then reached over and gave me a big hug.

“Like this?”

Jongsuk’s POV

“Can I… hug you?” Woobin asked him still dazed.

‘Hug me?’ I thought about it. I then smiled and reached over giving Woobin a hug.

“Like this?” I giggled. Woobin wrapped his arm around my waist and returned the hug. It felt so nice and warm. He then pulled back and stared at me intensely.

‘What is he doing?’ I wondered. He began touching my hair again but then his hand went down to the side of my face.  I stared at him curiously as he got closer

 ‘What? Is he going to kiss me?’ I was getting nervous. My heart was beating really fast and loud. I just closed my eyes because I was so nervous.

“Thanks for the hug.” He said and just let go of me.

“Ehh?” I opened my eyes and glanced at him.

“Uh, what’s for dinner?” He asked and walked into the kitchen.

“Ohh..” I was a bit disappointed for some reason. We then went into the kitchen to eat dinner like usual. I sat across from him as we ate the meal that Soonok Auntie and I made. When we were done eating Woobin suggested that we go upstairs and just watch TV before going to bed since it was kindof early but not too early.

“Those clothes are for going out. Why don’t you change into your pajamas? The other clothes I got were pajamas.” Woobin said to me.

“Oh… I like these.” I said as I touched the clothes I was wearing.

“I’m glad that you like them.” Woobin said happily.

“You don’t like the other clothes I got for you then?” He asked me.

“No, I mean I do! I’ll change into them.” I said running to go get my clothes that were in my room.

“This is your room Jongsuk? It looks like it hasn’t been used.” I remembered the conversation that I had with Soonok Auntie this morning.

“Oh.. I’ve been sleeping in Woobin’s room…” I said to her a bit scared of what she thinks.

“Hmm, it feels lonely sleeping alone doesn’t it?” she said and so I just nodded.

“Is it… weird?” I asked her.

“Is what weird?”

“Is sleeping together weird?” I asked her.

“We’ll if your friends and Woobin doesn’t mind then why does it matter if it’s weird or not?” She said in which was a bit hard to understand.

“If Woobin doesn’t mind…” I said to myself.

‘How do I know? Maybe I should… sleep in my own room now.’ I decided as I changed into my pajamas. I felt like I should but I still couldn’t. I’m just not use to it yet.

“I’ll slowly~… train myself so that I could sleep alone. I’m not a baby and it’s just sleeping. What’s there to be afraid of when sleeping alone?” I said to my self as I stared around in the big empty room.

“I-I’ll sleep in here soon.” I said setting my clothes aside and rushed back to Woobin’s room. When I got there Woobin was on his bed changing the channel on the TV.

“Is there a drama that you’re watching Jongsuk?” He said in which I just smiled.

‘He said my name.’ I said in my head happily.

“What are you standing there for? Come sit down.” He said to me in which I hurriedly climbed on the bed.

‘I said to myself I should train myself to sleep alone. Maybe I shouldn’t get too close to Woobin.’ I said in my head as I sat down under the blanket with some space between us.

“Scoot in, you mind fall.” He said holding onto my arm.

“O-oh…” I nodded and scooted in a bit. He then just pulled me in right next to him and hugged me. I don’t know why my heart was beating really fast again. He then lifted the blanket off of me surprising me. I flinched and just curled up wanting to hide.

“These look good on you two.” He said making me look over to him.

“O-oh. Thank you Woobin…” I said trying to calm down and smile.

“Oh, you buttoned it wrong.” He said reaching over.

“Uhh!” I winced when he reached over.

“I can fix it.” I said bringing my hands up to fix the buttons.

“O-oh…” He moved his hands back and continued watching TV.

After a bit of watching TV I glanced over to Woobin and saw that he was asleep.

‘Oh! He must be tired.’ I said in my head.

‘I should turn the TV off and let him sleep properly.’ I decided and so I reached over for the remote that was on his other side. Once the TV was off the room was all dark. I wanted to move Woobin so that he could lie down but I was scared of waking him up.

‘Maybe I should carry him and move him down slowly?’ I wasn’t sure on what to do. After just moving around unsure of what to do I just did it and hoped that Woobin wouldn’t wake up.

‘Ughh~ he’s heavy.’ I tried carrying him but I really couldn’t. I was able to pull him down a bit so that was a success.

“Huhh~” I breath out tiredly. I climbed back onto the bed on my side and sat down catching my breath. I then laid down to go to sleep as well. I glanced over to Woobin’s sleeping face. I could sort see his face but not much because the light outside the window wasn’t that bright. I moved over closer to have a good look at his face.

‘He’s so nice to me…He’s also good looking… I’m glad I met him.’ I smiled

‘I guess it’s true… Merfolks fall in love with humans easily.’ I said in my head embarrassed. I stared at his lips just wanting to kiss them and so I did. I leaned over and sneaked a kiss. I was so happy yet so scared of Woobin waking up. We definitely would get mad if he woke up from it.

‘There’s also the saying that the humans are nothing but betrayals…’ I said in my head feeling worried.

‘Betrayal… Woobin doesn’t seem like he would betray me…’ I quickly laid down and turned away from him.

‘We just don’t have to be lovers. I don’t think he would want it either. Maybe we’re friends.. He can be my master! I’ll learn how to clean and cook for him. I’ll just help him everyday’

“Good night Woobin…” I said softly since I didn’t say it to him yet. I closed my eyes and went right to sleep. I don’t what happened but I just remembered being outside where there were a bunch of people.

‘Where am I?’ I was confused and scared.

“Woobin?” I called out and tried to look for him.

“Where are you?!” I shouted but I didn’t see him anywhere.

“Oh!” My felt weird and I just fell over. I glanced down to my legs and saw that I I had my tail.

‘What’s going on? Why is my tail back? I was already human!’ I panicked.

“A monster!”

“He has a tail!”

“Oh, it’s a merman!

“What is he doing here?”

“Let’s  cut it up and see what’s he’s like.”

“Let’s kill it!” Everyone was screaming and staring at me. I didn’t know what to do but to curl up and comer my ears as I cried.

‘Please don’t. Stop it. ‘ I sobbed.

“Woobin! Where are you?!” I cried for him. I closed my eyes hiding from them as much as I could but I was just tricking myself.

“I’m scared Woobin.”

“Woobin!” I  called out to him

“Jongsuk-ah!” I thought I heard his voice.

“Jongsuk-ah, I’m right here.” I heard his voice again.

‘Woobin?’ I opened my eyes and saw him right in front of me.

“Woobin?” I was so happy to see him. I quickly hugged him as tightly as I can.

“It’s okay. It’s okay. It was just a nightmare.” He said

“A night mare?” I was surprised when he said that. I then realized that we were in his bedroom still in bed.

“Oh… a nightmare.” I sighed in relief and calmed down a bit.

 “It was just a nightmare.” He pulled me into his arms. I felt really warm and safe since his figure was bigger than me. I glanced up and saw his worried face. I wanted to kiss him but I held it in. I shouldn’t cross the line between us.

“Are you okay now?” He asked me.

“Mmhm~ I’m sorry.” I was ashamed. I then pulled myself together and moved away from him.

“I’m okay now.” I said embarrassed.