Daebak!

That Strange New Friend

Jongsuk’s POV

“Ah! I totally forgot that you injured your hand! How did you shower?” He shouted with a worried face.

“Like this.” I held the hand that was wrapped up out and placed the other hand on my head pretending that I was washing my head.

“I’m sorry. I totally forgot. It’s wet too, let’s go change it.” He said pulling me to the bathroom. There he took a white box out from the cabinet and took some more bandages out.

“Does it still hurt?” He asked as he undid the bandage around my hand.

“No.” I shook my head.

“How can it not hurt? It was a deep wound.” He said as he continued to take it off.

“It just doesn’t hurt.” I said back. When my bare hand was revel it seems like the wound was healing up nicely.

“Oh!” Woobin seemed surprised.

“What’s wrong? It’s gone bad?” I was shocked and took a closer look at my wound scared.

‘I don’t see anything wrong.’ I said looking at it closely at every angle.

“No… It’s healing great… and too quick.” He said still in shock.

“Too quick? What are you talking about?” I didn’t understand him.

“Your wound.. it’s healing really quickly. It’s not normal… for humans…” He said slowly.

“Really? Hmmm it must because I was a merfolk. All wounds heal like this. If you stay injured for too long the predators will come by.”

“Ahhh~! Is that so… That makes sense. But… it’s so weird…” Woobin said staring at my hand.

“Mmhm~ Are you scared of me?” I felt really sad.

‘I only wanted to be a regular human. Why hasn’t this changed?’ I said in my head.

“No, I think it’s cool.” Woobin smiled.

“Cool?” I wasn’t sure what he meant.

“It’s interesting. It’s a good thing that you can heal up so quickly.” He smiled as he grasped my hand.

“You still need to wrap it up since your wound hasn’t completely healed yet.” He said and started taking some things out of the box.

“Oh, thank you Woobin.” I said as I stood there letting him fix my hand. Whatever he did it stung a bit but I didn’t want to be a baby and complain about it. When he was done he wrapped it up again. When he was done we both ate yesterdays food.

40 minutes later~

So Woobin went to school and now I’m all by myself… I found out how the TV works so I’m just watching something. I don’t know what it really is about but there is a pretty lady that shows up a lot.

“Unnie daebak~!”

“Dae… bak…” I repeated.

‘What’s that?’ I wondered.

“She said it when she was surprised and happy. It must be a good thing.” I concluded.

“Daebak!” I said it again since it was a fun word.

“Oppa~” I heard her say.

“Oppa… that's when a girl say to a guy right?” I thought about it.

“Talking is so interesting.” I said still fascinated by my voice.

‘Learning Korean and speaking Korean is like a whole different thing.’ I said in my head. Just then I heard a loud noise.

‘What’s that?!’ I turned my head and looked around.

*Knock knock knock* I heard knocking on the door.

“Oh, someone is at the door.” I was a bit scared.

‘Do I go check? Is that okay?’ I wondered. I rushed over to the window and looked outside. I saw a strange car outside and a man just went inside and drove off.

“The person left already… Why was he here?” I wondered. I then glanced over to the door and noticed something on the floor.

“Oh, what’s that?!” I was curious to see what it was. I glanced around to make sure that there wasn’t anyone before I rushed to the door. I opened the door and looked down to what the thing was. It was a yellow basket and inside there were bowls and plates.

“Is this food?!” I was surprised. I immediately smiled.

“Woah~ who was that man that was nice enough to give food?” I said picking the basket up as I held the door open with my leg. I knew that if I let the door close I would have a hard time opening it. I brought the basket inside and set it on the table in front of the TV.

‘Is it for me?’ I wondered.

Just then I heard another noise.  It was coming from the square thingy that Woobin gave me before he left.

‘It’s called a iPad right?’ I went over and stared at it. It had Woobin’s face on top.

“Oh, Woobin said he would call, is this the call?” I stared at it not knowing what to do.

--

Woobin’s POV

“Ahhh…  I didn’t teach him how to answer the phone.” I sighed as the call ended I wanted to facetime him and tell him that I ordered food for him but I don’t think it’s going to work.

‘He’s pretty smart though. I should try again.’ I said in my head. I waited for a bit and finally it seemed like he answered it.

“Oh!” I was surprised. I then saw his face on the screen.

“Oh! Woobin-ah!” He was excited to see me.

“Mmhm~ It’s me Jongsuk” I said smiling.

“Yess~ Can you see me too?” He said moving around so that he could see himself on the screen.

“Yes, I can see you.”

“The green circle one is the correct one right?” He said happily.

“Yes, good job. I knew that you’d know how to answer it.” I said proud of him.

“This is so interesting. Woobin is in a flat square.” He said as he moved the iPad around.

“Mhmm~ don’t drop it.” I said and glanced around just to be sure that no is coming

“Oh Woobin-ah!” Jongsuk shouted making me jump.

“Earlier a nice person came and left some food!... Here!” He moved the iPad over to the food basket.

“Ha-ha~ I know. I’m the one that ordered it.”

“Ohh… I can eat it then?” He said as he turned the screen back to his face.

“Yes,” I chuckled

‘If it’s food then he’s happy.’ I said in my head.

“Woobin-ah, did you eat yet?” He asked me.

“Yes, I had a sandwich earlier.” I said to him.

“Was it good?” He asked me.

“Mmmhm~ There’s this place that has great sandwiches. I’ll buy it when I go home.”

“Okay.” He nodded happily.

“Oh Woobin-ah!” He called out to me. The way he said my name was really cute.

“What is it?” I asked him.

“Uhhh, the… cake in the fridge that you bought yesterday. Can I have one?” He asked me.

“Of course. Just one though. If you eat any more you might get a stomach ache.”

“Ohh. Okay.” He nodded and smiled. Just then I saw Jonghyun walking over to me.

“Jongsuk, I have to go. You can just eat and once you’re done you can put the plates and bowls back into the basket and leave outside.” I told him.

“I put it where the nice man left it?” he asked me.

“Yes. He will later come by and get it so don’t get scared.”

“Oh okay. Woobin have to leave?” He asked me with a sad expression.

“Yeah.” I glanced at Jonghyun who was getting reading to sit beside me.

“Bye.” I said quickly and ended the call.

“Who was that?“ he tried looking at my phone.

“None of your business.” I said to him and turned around to the table.

“Obviously it’s not but can’t I be nosy?” He said back.

“Whatever.” I hissed.

“Huhh~” I sighed just thinking about what I should do for Jongsuk and I. We need a worker but how would it work out with Jongsuk.

“Why the long sigh?” He asked me.

“Huh? Oh just some personal problems”

“Hmm? Got yourself a girlfriend?” He smirked.

“No.”

“Why? Did your appa get mad at you again?” He kept on guessing.

“No which is a good thing.”

“Jonghyun, do you happen to know any worker that’s good at cleaning and cooking as well as keeping secrets and not being nosy?” I asked him.

“…” He just stared at me.

“Are you doing something illegal at your place?” He said with wide eyes.

“NO! What are you talking about?!” I was shocked by his comment.

“Well, I don’t think I know anyone. My parents hire the workers and so whatever happens, they know.” He said making me sigh.

“Same here, which is why I am having a headache right now.”

“Ahh!” I just thought of someone that would be able to do the job.

“What? You know someone?”

“Soonok Auntie!”

“Go away I need to take care of business.” I said and turned away as I search up for Hyeri’s number since she’s Soonok Auntie’s niece.

“You said it was something personal.” Jonghyun still stuck around and bothered me.

“The person just became the business okay.” I said back as I called Hyeri. I waited for the call to go through as I shoved Jonghyun away.

“Hyung, just what is this problem of yours?” Jonghyun pestered me.

‘Gosh I regret in telling him.’ I sighed.

“Get lost.” I pushed him away.

“Hello”

“Oh Hyeri, it’s Woobin.”

“Oh, hey oppa. How have you been?”

“I’ve been great.”

“Do you have a boyfriend yet?!” Jonghyun shouted making me surprised.

“Yah, Get lost!” I kicked him away.

“What?” Hyeri said through the phone.

“Nothing Hyeri-ah, how have you been?” I asked her.

“Okay, I’m just busy with midterm projects.”

“Yeah, midterm is around the corner here as well. Umm, I was wondering if you have Soonok Aunties number.” I just went straight out and asked her.

“Yes I do. You need it?” She asked me.

“Yes, can you give it to me whenever you can?” I asked her.

“Of course. I’ll text you her number. Why do you need her number?” She asked me.

“Uhh, I just have to ask her something.” I made something up.

“Oh okay. I’ll send it to you right now. Is that all you needed?” she asked.

“Yes, thanks Hyeri.”

“No problem oppa. Bye oppa.” She said.

“Bye Hyeri-ah.” I said back and hung up.

“Why don’t you ask her out while you’re at it?” Jonghyun just kept on annoying me.

“Cut it out. She’s like a sister to me.” I said back to him as I waited for her text.

“That’s what they always say.” He said with a weird smirk.

“Go get something to eat or something.”

“I already ate.” She smiled.

“Then just get lost!” I hissed at him. I then receive her message and immediately called Soonok Auntie.

“Okay then. You stay here.” I sand got up from the picnic table with my backpack  and walked away.

“Yah class starts in 15 minutes!” He shouted to me.

“I know!” I waved at him annoyed and walked away to a quieter place on campus.

“Hello” She answered the phone.

“Hello Soonok Auntie. This is Kim Woobin.” I said politely.

“Oh, Woobin. So nice of you to call. How have you been doing?” She asked me.

“I’ve been doing fine Auntie. How are you? Are you still working?” I asked her.

“I am doing great. I just finish working last week and now I’m just resting.” I smiled when she said that. I felt bad that I had to disturb her resting period but she’s the only one that I can trust right now.

“Auntie, would you like to have a new job?” I asked her.

“If it is easy then of course.” She said making me so happy.

“Well I was wondering if you can come work for me. It’s nothing hard. Just cleaning and cooking. Even if it’s just for a week or two.”

“That sounds like a simple job. So why exactly did you call me.”

“Now that's definitely Soonok Auntie. You know exactly what’s going on.”

“Mmmhm~ now tell me.”

“Mmmhm~ I…” I didn’t know how to explain it to her.

“I have a friend living with me right now and he’s… he doesn’t like socializing with others.”

“Is he… sick?”

“Uhh, you can say that. He doesn’t like strangers and I don’t want my parents know about him. Can you help me take care of him a bit? You don’t have to literally take care of him. We just need someone to do the house things.”

“I know. Two guys living in a house would need some kind of worker. Especially when it’s a young master.” She was talking about me.

“Yes…” I giggled.

“So can you help me?” I asked her.

“Of course.”  She said making me cheer quietly. People probably thought I was insane but who cares. I just continued talking to her about briefly about the situation and then sent her my current address. She said she could come by tomorrow so everything was all good unless she suddenly says no. I then went back to go to class and afterwards I went to the restaurant that had great sandwiches and bought a few different ones for Jongsuk. I bought some food for myself as well before I headed back home. I said I was only going to go to school for a bit but it was already getting late. I pulled up to the house excited to see him. I walked over to the door and pressed in the code to unlock the door.  Once it was unlock I opened it and stepped inside.

“Jongs-“

“Woobin!” He immediately pounced on me making me surprised.

“Oh, Your scared me.” I chuckled as I held out the back that had our dinner.

“I missed you.” He said hugging me tightly.

“… Me too.” I said back to him softly as I wrapped my arms around him as well. Without saying anything he just kept on hugging me.

“Do merfolks hug each other freely?” I asked him.

“No” He shook his head.

“Then why do you keep on hugging me?”

“Aren’t humans more closer to each other?” He asked looking up to me with big eyes.

“… No” I answered.

“Mmmhm~ I just like hugging Woobin.” He giggled.

“Okay, you can let go now.” I said and he finally let go of me.

“Oh, oh! Is this the sandwich you got for me?” He pointed to the bag in my hand.

“Yeah, all you think about is food don’t you?” I chuckled.

“Food is good.” He smiled widely. I just smiled at his innocence.

 “Oh Woobin I learned a new word!” He said happily.

“What is it?” I asked him

“Daebak!” He said excited.

“Haha~ do you know what it means?” I asked him.

“Uhh, I don’t know but I think it’s something good.”

“Mmmhm~ it means good. Awesome!”

“Ohh~ so like… Woobin daebak!” He smiled widely.

“Yeah.” I chuckled embarrassed at him.

“So have you been watching TV all day?” I said as I sat down on the couch.

“Mmhm~ There were a lot of interesting things and people on TV.” He said and sat down right next to me. Like literally next to me. I didn’t mind it though. It was nice being with him again. We just spent the rest of day talking and I told him about Soonok Auntie. He said he didn’t want to meet anyone just yet and I understand him. I could figure it out so I’m not going to pressure him.


Sorry for not updating in a while.

The last year of school is definately the toughest.

I'll try to keep this fanfic going at a steady pace so hang in there!

Thanks for reading~! ^-^