The First Cursed Night

That Strange New Friend

Woobin’s POV

Lately Jongsuk seemed really… obedient. He’s been doing a lot of things that surprises me. I hired Soonok Auntie to clean and cook but it seems like he’s been doing most of it now. I was happy that he was being active and learning but it was just weird. He was becoming more like worker than a friend tome. Not only that but he’s like distancing himself from me. Whenever I tried to offer him something he would just say no.

‘I wonder if it’s because he feels like he’s a burden to me?’ I wondered. I guess I’ll just buy a bunch of food for him tonight instead of asking him about it. So today I told Soonok Auntie to not cook dinner since I was buying food for the two of us.

“Let’s see… I got pizza, chick wings, ddukboki, cake, and a lot of other snacks. These should make him happy.” I smiled.  I started the car and drove straight home so that that the food wouldn’t get cold. Once I got there I carried all of the foods in happily and unlocked the door. 

“I’m home~” I said but the house appeared empty. Soonok Auntie had already gone home but Jongsuk should be around. In fact he’s usually standing by the entrance waiting for me to come inside but today he wasn’t.

“Jongsuk-ah~! Where are you?!” I shouted as I glanced around.

“Where is he?” I wondered. I went and set the bags down on the dinner table before I searched for him.

“I bought pizza!” I shouted but there was still no response.

“Could it be that he’s sleeping?” I went upstairs to check in the bedroom to see if he was sleeping there.

‘He’s always running towards me whenever I’m home so this is… worrying me.’ I said in my head. I went over to my bedroom and saw the door opened.

“Jongsuk-ah.” I called out his name as I went into the bedroom. I first saw that the bed was empty and thought he was hiding somewhere else but then I saw him.

 “Jongsuk!” My immediate reaction was to rush over to him. He was lying limp on the floor and was breathing heavily.

“What happened?” I helped him up but he was groaned in pain whenever I moved him.

“Ahh~” He was groaning in pain and winced. I took a glanced at his face and saw him in tears.

‘He’s crying… This is all real.’ I said in my head. Everything was so off and so I just thought it couldn’t be real but it was. Not only was he crying but also he was covered in sweat.

“W-What’s going on? What happened?” I wasn’t sure what happened but it was making me worried. I carefully held him in my arms as he trembled.

“It… hurts” He just curled up into a ball embracing him self.

“W-why? What should I do?” I panicked. He seemed like he was in so much pain and his body was burning up.

“What do I do? L-Let’s go to the hospital.” I suggested.

“No!” He shouted and pushed himself away. He just dropped back down onto the floor startling me.

“Ahh~ It hurts. It burns.” He cried as he curled up.

“Just what on earth happened to you?” I was frustrated yet so worried. I touched his shoulder and he just yelped in pain. I was so scared of touching him now.

“W-what should I do, Jongsuk-ah? If we can’t go to the hospital… I-I wouldn’t know what wrong with you.” I said as I moved over to check on his face. He was still crying in pain.

“L-let’s get you on the bed at least.” I hesitated in touching him since I was scared of hurting him again.

“Can you get up?” I asked him.

“No… Everything hurts. Ahh~! I… feel so hot.” He sobbed.

“Hot?” I reached over to touch his forehead hesitantly. I touched his forehead lightly making him wince.

“You’re burning up.” I said retreating my hand.

‘Does he have a fever? But he’s in pain. Did he eat something bad? Food poisoning?’ I couldn’t think of an illness that would cause his whole body to be in pain and burn up.

“Jongsuk-ah, would something cold help? L-like ice of cold water?” I asked him since maybe he knows what’s happening.

“M-may.. be..” He was having a hard time taking.

“I’m going to have to carry you then. I’m sorry if it hurts.” I said before taking a deep breath. I moved my arms under his body to lift him up.

“Ahh~” He groaned and cried. It hurts me so much seeing him in so much pain.

“I’m sorry.” I apologized for making him suffer even more but this is the only thing I could think to help him.  I rushed out the room with him in my arms as I went towards the bathroom.

‘He’s seriously so hot.’ I said in my head as I felt his body heat. I brought him into the bathroom and set him in the bathtub carefully.  His eyes were closed the entire time so it worried me even more.

“Jongsuk-ah, are you okay. Are you still awake?” I asked since.

“Mmhm~” He tried nodding but it seemed to hurt him.

“I’m going to turn on the cold water. It it makes it worst then tell me.” I said and turned the water on to fill the tub with cold water. All I could do now was to just stand beside him and watch.

‘Should I give him medicine? What kind of medicine? Pain relieve? What if it doesn’t work. What if it makes it worse? Is he completely a human now?’ I had so many questions but there was no way that I could find answers to. I blinked quickly to get the tears away.

“Huh~” I sighed to calm myself down. I check on the water and it was so cold.

“How is it? Is it helping?” I wanted to touch his head but I didn’t.

“Mmhm~” He hummed. His eyebrows furrowed and he squeezed his eyes shut.

‘’It still hurts…” I felt so useless right now. He then opened his eyes and looked at me for the first time since I’ve been home.

“S-Sorr-“ He tried talking but it looked painful.

“Don’t talk. It’s not your fault so don’t apologize.” I said trying to soothe him.

“Just rest. If it really hurts let me know. I’ll… I’ll think of something.” I said as I kneeled down beside the tub and stared at Jongsuk’s painful expression.

Since when were you hurting? Will you get better?’ I asked him in my head. I didn’t want to ask him since talking would hurt him so I kept it to myself. Once the water reached his chest I turned the faucet off. He was just lying still in the tub filled with cold water. I reached in and felt the freezing water with my hand.

‘It’s so cold. I wonder if it’s helping his burning body.’ I wondered. I moved my hand over toward him and touch his arm gently.

“Mhmm~” He flinched when I touched him. His body was still very hot to the touch. I used my other hand and touched his cheek carefully to check his temperature.

“You’re still way too hot Jongsuk. I don’t think it’s working. If your head gets too hot you’ll be in danger.” I said trying to think of a solution.

‘Maybe I should put a cold towel over his head or splash some cold water so that his brain doesn’t overheat.’ I thought of a way. Just then Jongsuk’s body slid down and his entire body was submerged underwater.

“JONGSUK-AH!” I was shocked. I was going to pull him up then he opened his eyes and looked up to me.

‘What is he doing? Did he do it on purpose?’ I wondered. He then gave me a smile. A reassuring smile.

‘Ah... he’s trying to cool his head since I said so…’ I understood what he was doing. I just smiled and calmed myself down. He then closed his eyes tiredly still submerged under the cold water.

“He’s holding his breathe right? It’s not dangerous is it?” I was getting worried. I had no idea what or how his lungs work so as time ticked by I was getting anxious.

“J-Jongsuk-ah, d-don't forget to breath if you need to…” I said loudly hoping that he could hear me. Just then I saw bubbles coming out of his nose and he smiled.

‘Huhh~ so he’s okay.’ I smiled. I just sat there watching him.

‘He looks peaceful and… beautiful underwater. Have I seen him like this before?’ I asked myself as I grinned. He was underwater for quite a long time. I was actually getting tired of just sitting there watching him. Just then he started moving and pushed himself up so his head was out of the water.

“Huh~” He lie there tiredly as he breathed. I reached over and touched his forehead.

“You’re a lot better” I smiled. I reached in to check on the water and it has definitely gotten warmer. I touched his arm again gently and he felt a lot cooler as well.

“Huhh~” I sigh in relieve. I was still very worried though.

“Ahh~” He winced. My worries just came back since he was still in pain.

“I’ll change the water since it’s not cold anymore.” I said as I opened the drain and let the water dissipate. When most of the water is gone I closed the drain and turned the faucet on again letting the coldest water fill the tub. Once it was all done I sat back down beside him quietly.

“Huhh~” I yawned. I pulled my phone out to check what time it was. It was already 1AM and so I was really tired.

“Sleep… Woobin.” He said softly. He still looked like he was in pain but not as much.

“Me? I’m okay.” I said since I didn’t want to sleep and leave him alone.

“I’m okay-ahh~” he groaned.

‘Even though he’s in pain he’s still worried about me.’ I said in my head.

“Okay, let’s sleep together. I’ll go turn the lights off.” I said getting up. I turned the bathroom lights off and turned the lights over by the sink on so that it wouldn’t be too dark in here. I grabbed the towels and went back over to the tub.

“I’ll sleep right.” I said. I placed the towels on the floor and got myself all comfortable beside Jongsuk.

“Bed…” He said tiredly.

“I’m okay sleeping here. Good night. Don’t say anything. I know it hurts to talk so don’t say a word.” I said to him. He looked so weak and tired yet he still manages to keep his eyes on me.

“Close your eyes and sleep. It’ll lessen the pain.” I said to him. He smiled before closing his eyes. I smiled and reached over to fix his bangs.

“Mmhm~” He winced.

‘Even touching his hair hurts.’ I felt so bad for him.

‘What did he do to deserve this?’ I questioned. I placed my arm on the edge of the tub and rested my head on top before closing my eyes.

“Get better soon~” I said softly. I didn’t want to sleep but my body was giving out. I wanted to stay up and keep and eye on him but I was so tired. Eventually I fell asleep but after a while I was wake up and check on Jongsuk. He was getting better so I was more at ease towards the morning.