I Like It

That Strange New Friend

Jongsuk’s POV

“Du-no Jongsuk-ah, I have to go somewhere. Do you want to go with me?” Woobin asked me.

“Where are you going?” I asked him.

“I have to go buy something. You can stay here if not you can come with me and stay in the car. No one will bother you.” He said.

‘Should I go?’ I thought about it.

‘It is nice here but it would be nice to see other places too.’ I thought about it.

“Mmhm~ I want to go with you.” I nodded.

“Let’s go.” Woobin said with a big smile. He stood up and started walking away so I followed right behind him. We walked over to the door and he looked down to my feet.

“You need shoes.” He said.

“You can wear my shoes for now.” Woobin said as he took out a pair of shoes from the small room.

“Now for socks. Wait here okay.” Woobin said and he rushed upstairs for socks. I have no idea what those are but I guess I need it for shoes. I stood there and waited for him to return. He came back with the socks. They were like clothes for my feet. I didn’t ask why since it might bother Woobin. I just did what he told me and then put the shoes on. The socks felt okay but the shoes…

“It feels weird.” I said as I tried walking around. My feet were cramped up and it felt uncomfortable.

“You don’t like it?” Woobin looked at me.

“No, it’s fine.” I smiled at him.

*hic * I got the hiccups because I lied. Woobin just sneered at me.

“It’s a tiny bit uncomfortable.” I said since I couldn’t lie.

“I’ll buy you better shoes when I have the time. Just wear these for now. If not then you can try on my other pairs and see if you’ll like one.” He said opening the door to the small room.

“No it’s okay. These are okay.” I told him.

“If you say so, come one.” Woobin opened the door and motioned me to get out. I walked out carefully since I was wearing the shoes. I walked over to the car and over to the side that I had sat in.

“Can I open it?” I asked Woobin.

“Yeah, it’s unlocked.” Woobin said. I then opened the door the way that I had remembered and it worked. I pulled the door open and got in.

“Haha~ car~” I was excited. I sat down on the nice smooth seat and closed the door. Woobin did the same and sat down on the other side.

“Put your seatbelt on.” He said.

“Seatbelt?” I tired to remember that was. I then saw him put the rope thing across his chest.

‘Ah~ that’ I smiled and put my seatbelt on.

“Like this?” I said once I finished.

“Yeah, good job.” Woobin gave me a smile.

“Whenever we are in the car we have to put it on?” I asked him.

“Yeah. Well whenever the car is moving.” He said.

“Oh.” I nodded. I then leaned against the window and looked around outside.

‘Woah~ I can see the sky whenever I want now.’ I said in my head as I looked up to the sky. It was getting later in the day so it was getting dark.

“Do you want the windows down?” Woobin asked me.

“No it’s fine. I like staying inside the car like this.” I said to him.

“Okay, I’m going to drive.” He said to me. I turned to him and saw him doing something with his hand and the car started moving.

“Is it hard to drive a car?” I asked him.

“Not really. You just need to learn about it for a bit and it should be easy.” He said back.

“Ohh.” I nodded.

‘I wonder if I can drive a car in the future’ I said in my head. I then looked out the window again and watched as we passed by all the trees.

“If you want anything or need anything then just tell me.” Woobin said to me.

“Ohh~” I nodded

“What do I want? What do I need?” I said to myself as I thought about it.

‘I don’t know. I already have what I want. To be a human.’ I smiled before looking down to my legs and my feet.

“Clothes?” Woobin asked me.

“Clothes?”

“Do you want new clothes? Well you do need some. You can’t just keep on wearing mines.” Woobin said as he glance at me and then back in front.

“Oh, maybe~ I can wear anything. I don’t even need to wear clothes.” I chuckled.

“No, you need clothes. Haha~” Woobin chuckled.

“I know~ Humans should wear clothes but I’m not use to it.” I giggled. I then saw that we were going to a place where there was lots of houses and people. There were no more trees and grass. Just people and… more people.

“Where are we?” I asked him as I backed away from the window.

“Now this is Seoul. Just about where everyone is at.” Woobin said.

‘I’ve never seen this many people at a time before. It’s interesting but I feel so scared.’

“These buildings are stores. That one there is for clothes and over there are restaurants where people can go eat.  Oh and those tall buildings are people’s home.” Woobin pointed to the tall build.

“Woah~ it’s so high up. Humans built that?” I was surprise. I mean I’ve read about houses becoming higher to the point it is touching the sky but I didn’t really believe it.

“Instead of asking questions about everything I was just so amaze that I couldn’t even say anything. I just looked around with my mouth wide open. Just then the car stopped. I barely noticed but because Woobin make a noise I turned to look at him.

“I’m going to leave the car here for a bit and go buy something. Ummm is it okay if you satay in the car by yourself?” He asked me.

“Oh yeah, I’m okay.” I said happily. Woobin then reached over and took my seatbelt off.

“Just relax for a bit while I go get something.” He said with a smile.

“Yes~” I answered. He then got out of the car and closed the door behind him. He glanced back at me before going off somewhere.

“What is he buying?” I wondered. He then entered as brightly lit store and I can see him inside.

“Hmm~ I don’t know what it sells.” I pouted but I had no idea. I went back in just looking around outside but I felt even more scared now that the car stopped moving. I sat in the car and looked at the people walking by. Woobin said that they can’t see  me but I feel that they are. Whenever our eyes met it really scared me.

‘Human… They are ruthless… They kill every living thing… Even each other if they wanted. Curious.. dangerous.. creatures…’ I remember what I had read about humans. What humans have done are really interesting but humans themselves are no good. I thought the same up until I saw Woobin. When I first approach him I had no idea what to expect but a ruthless dangerous creature but it turns out that he’s really nice and he really is. I may not have been born a human but I know what nice and kind acts are like. Woobin has been really kind to me and I haven’t done anything for him.

Just then I heard the door being opened. I jumped on the seat and looked over to the door. I was so relieved when I saw it was Woobin.

“Huhh~” I sighed.

“Did you wait long?” He asked me.

“No.” I shook my head.

‘I was thinking too much that I don’t even know how long it was.’ I said in my head. I then noticed him holding a white box and a plastic bag.

 “Oh Woobin, what is that?” I pointed to the box in his hands.

“This? Ummm it’s…. a secret.” He smiled.

“A secret?” I was confused.

“What’s a secret?” I asked him

“A secret is something that I can’ tell you.” Woobin said smiling.

“Ahh~… Why?” I didn’t quite understand.

“Well… Because I don’t want you to know what it is yet.” He said but I just didn’t understand why this had to be a secret.

“Oh…” I was confused. Woobin reached over and our face was really close.

“Umm, your seatbelt.” He said and looked away. He sounded nervous. I wonder why. He grabbed my seatbelt and put it in the little thing making a click sound.

“Thank you.” I said fixing the rope against my chest.

“Can you hold this?” He handed me the box.

“Oh.” I nodded.

“Be careful with it. You’ll see what it is when we get back.” He said and placed the small bag in between us.

“Okay.” I nodded.

‘Just what is this? It’s really cold’ I said in my head. I wanted to look inside but Woobin told me to wait so I will. The car started moving and we continued passing by all the people.

“Are we going back you your place?” I asked him.

“Yeah. It’s getting late so We’re just going back to the house and then go to sleep later. We can do whatever you want tomorrow.” He said.

“I don’t know what we can do.” I pouted.

“Well what you merfolks do for fun?” He asked me.

‘Merfolks… I did nothing fun.’ I said in my head.

“Just… things.” I said back and looked out the window. He didn’t continue asking though. Maybe he knew that I didn’t have much to say about it. I did tell him that I want to start a whole new life as a human. He then started talking about the things outside and explained it to me. I’m glad that he told me about it because I didn’t have to ask him. He pointed to this and that all around and explained what it was to me. After a bit I recognized the way we were going. It was to Woobin’s house.

‘Yay I finally get to see what’s in this cold white box.’ I was excited. He stopped the car in the same spot and took of his seat belt. I did the same, anxiously to get out and into the house.

“I’ll carry it.” He asked for the box.

“I want to hold it.” I said back.

“Oh, okay. Just be careful.” He said and grabbed the plastic bag he had earlier. I opened the door and carefully got out as I held onto the box tightly.

‘I have to be careful.’ I reminded myself. Once I was out I didn’t know ho to close the door.

“Oh.. How do I…?’ I thought about it. Before I could do anything Woobin came over and closed the door for me.

“Thank you Woobin. Oh hyung.” I corrected myself.

“You can call me whichever you want.” He chuckled

“Okay Woobin-ah.” I said making him laugh.

“You are really…” He didn’t seem to finish his sentence. I just returned my focus on taking every single step trying not to move the box too much.

“It’s okay if you walk a bit fast.” Woobin said who was right beside me.

“But I might fall.” I was worried. He just sneered before going to open the door to the house.

“Can you make it inside safely?” He asked me.

“Y-yes.” I said as I walked past the door.

“Huhh~ I made it.” I sighed n relief. Woobin closed the door behind me and then went in front of me.

“I can take care of it from here. Just take your shoes off and sit in the living room while I get this ready.”

“Oh okay” I nodded. I handed the box to Woobin and he walked away with it into the kitchen where I couldn’t see anything. I then looked down to my feet and stared at the shoes.

“I have to take these off.” I squatted and  then sat down on the floor so that I can lift my feet up.  I pulled on the shoe and my foot popped right out of it.

“Woah~ it’s so nice.” I wiggled my toes. I did the same thing to the other shoe and set it on the ground. I was going to leave but I remembered seeing shoes set nicely beside each other.

“I should make it look pretty.” I said fixing my shoes on one spot. I then grabbed Woobin’s shoe and set then side-by-side next to mines.

“Woobin’s shoes. My shoes..” I pointed to each pair.

“Ah.. No~ Both are Woobin’s shoe.” I chuckled. I then got up and walked away.

“Ahh.. my slippers.” I remember and went back to get my slippers. I took them off before changing into the shoes. It’s a good thing that I remembered about them.

“Socks… Should I take them off too?” I wondered. I decided to take them off since it was a lot nicer without them. I placed both of then next to the shoes and then put on my slippers. I wanted to go into the kitchen but Woobin told me to sit in the living room so I did. I sat down on the couch quietly as I listened to Woobin.

“I hope he’ll like it.” I heard him say to himself.

‘Who? Me? What is it?’ I was curious.

“I bought a slice of each since I don’t know which flavor he’ll like. Is it too much?” He said.

‘Flavor? What flavor do I like? Is it food? Did he get a lot?’ I wondered. Afterwards it was quiet and so I was so anxious to find out what was in the box. I started tapping my feet and played with my fingers.

“Happy birthday to you.” I heard Woobin loud and clear now. I turned to the kitchen and saw him coming out with something in his hands. It was.. something on a big plate. Food maybe?

“Happy birthday to you~.” He was singing.

‘Happy birthday... to me?’ I was confused.

“Happy birthday to Jongsuk. Happy birthday to you!” Woobin sang with my new name in it.

“Birthday? Me~?” I was so happy.

‘Birthday… It’s what we had done earlier about when I was born, Am I right?’ I smiled widely.

“Mhhm~ We had decided that your birthday was two days ago so this is your late birthday celebration.” Woobin said as he stood in front of me. I finally was able to see what he was holding. I didn’t know what it was but it was really pretty and colorful and there was a little fire on a tiny stick on top.

“What is this?” I pointed

“It’s a cake. I don’t know how merfolks celebrate but humans now-a-day celebrate birthdays with cake.” He told me

“Ohh~ a cake.” I nodded but I still had no idea what it was exactly.

“Now hurry up and blow out the candle. Oh and make a wish first.”

“Wish? Anything?” I was surprise.

“Mmhm~” I thought about it.

“Umm, I-“

“Say it in your head.” Woobin cut me off.

“Oh”

‘I wish… Woobin would be forever happy with me.’ I said in my head as I smiled.

“I said my wish.”

“Blow out the candle.” He told me.

“The fire?” I asked him.

“Yeah, blow it out.” He said once again. I took a big breath and then blew onto the fire making it go out.

“Yeah~, happy birthday.” Woobin placed the cake on the table and started clapping. I have no idea what was happening but I felt really special and really really happy.

“Ha-ha~ that was so fun.” I chuckled as I stared at the cake and then back to Woobin.

“Fun? Really?” Woobin seemed surprise.

“Oh.” I nodded.

“Thank you Woobin.” I said as I stared at him.

“Mmhm~” He returned a smile.

“How do humans thank each other?” I asked since I really wanted to thank him.

“Umm, a hug?” Woobin said.

“Ahh~ hug.” I nodded. I then scooted over to him and gave him a big hug. I wrapped my arms around his neck and tightened it a bit.

“Thank you~.”  I said as I rested my head beside his.

“N-no problem.” He said as he slowly hugged me back. I giggled when I felt him hug me.

‘This feels nice.’ I said in my head as I didn’t let go.

“Y-you can let go now.” He said but I didn’t want to.

“I am really really happy Woobin-ah.” I said as I slowly let go.

“That's good then.” He smiled but he didn’t look at me.

‘Am I making him nervous?’ I wondered.

“So what is a cake?” I asked him as I got a closer look at the cake.

‘Is it food?’ I wondered.

“Well it’s food. It’s really sweet like ice cream but a little bit different.

“Ohh~ So are we going to eat this?” I pointed to it.

“Yeah. Oh we should eat dinner first though.” He said making me pout.

“Dinner? I want to try this.” I pointed to the cake.

“Ah… Well we can eat this first then.” Woobin said making me so happy.

“I’m going to get some plates and forks.” He said and went back into the kitchen.

“Huhh~ this looked delicious~” I sat on the floor so that I can be right beside the cake. I sniffed it and there was a sweet scent from it. The brown on had a different scent though. I the touched it with my finger and it was really soft. I the cake that was on finger and it was nice and sweet.

“Ohhh~ This is… it’s really good.” I was surprise.

“Ay~ Let’s put it on a plate first.” Woobin said making me surprise.

“O-oh..” I smiled shyly. He then placed the plates on the table.

“Which slice do you want?” He asked me.

“Ummm, it one. Wait this one.” I wasn’t sure which one.

“This one?” Woobin asked me since he knew I wasn’t sure.

“Maybe this one.” I pointed the one with the strawberry. Woobin gave me strawberries before and it was good. He then placed the piece of cake onto a plate and handed it to me. In the inside there was different layers, which looked really good and soft.

“Woah~” I was excited to try it.

“Okay. Which one should I eat?” Woobin asked me.

“Umm. Which one does Woobin like?” I asked him.

“Ummm, this one?” He pointed. I then nodded and so he placed that piece on to the other plate for himself. He then gave me a fork so that I can eat it.

“This is how you eat it.” He showed me and ate some of his cake.

“Ohh~” I nodded and copied him.  Once I ate it I immediately smiled.

“Mmhmm~” I was moved around in happiness.

“You like it?” Woobin asked me.

“”Mhmm~ yes~!” I said happily before taking anther bite.

‘It’s so soft and sweet and so… good.’ I said in my head as I continuously ate.

“Slow down. The cake isn’t going anywhere.” Woobin said and patted my head.

“Ohh.” I nodded and smile from his touch.

‘This one taste like that but what about the others?’ I wondered. I then glanced over to his cake. I looked at him and out eyes met.

“You want to try this one?” He asked me.

“Can I?” I smiled. He the moved his plate over to me so that I could try it.

“What does this one taste like?” I asked him.

“This is chocolate mousse. I’m not sure how I would explain it.” He chuckled. I took a bit out of it and it was a strange taste. It wasn’t bad in fact it was good too but the taste was so foreign.

“Is it okay?” He asked me.

“Mmhmm~” I nodded.

“It’s a bit… bitter.” I hope I was saying it right.

“Yeah, it’s a bit bitter.” I said as he continued eating.

“The rest of the cake we can eat it some other time. I’ll keep it in the fridge.” He said to me.

“Oh. Do they all taste different?” I asked him.

“Yeah, I didn’t know which one you would like so I got different ones so that you can try all the flavors.”

‘Ahh~ so this was what he was talking about. There are so many flavors.’ I smiled.

“There are more flavors in the store.”

“More?” I was surprise.

“Yeah, but try these and then tell me which one you like the most. I’ll more of it whenever you want to eat it.

“Ohhh~ What’s this?” I pointed to my piece of cake.

“That’s strawberry shortcake. You can just call it strawberry.

“Oh. And this is chocolate?”

“Yup.” He nodded. He then told me the flavors of the other pieces of cake and they were all different.

“If you have trouble remembering the name then you can for pick it out yourself at the store.” Woobin chuckled.

“Oh okay.” I giggled. Woobin then went into the kitchen with the rest of the cake and placed it in the fridge.

“Du-I mean Jongsuk-ah. Come here. We’re going to eat dinner.” Woobin called out to me.

“Jongsuk-ah~ haha~ I like it.” I chuckled.

“Yes~“ I asked him as I got up with my plate of cake.

“Ah, should I take your plate too?” I asked him.

“Yes please.” He said to me. I then carefully carried both plates in each hand and walked to the kitchen.

“Thank you Jongsuk-ah” He said making me smile. Just hearing my name made me happy.

“Yes~” I smiled shyly as I placed the plates on the table.

“What is it?” Woobin smiled and stared at me making me embarrassed.

“Nothing~ it’s just… I like it when you say my name.” I said as I looked down to the floor.

“Do you really like it that much?” He asked me. I glanced up at him and then turned away.

“Ohh~ I like it.” I giggled.