Handsome and Cute

That Strange New Friend

No one’s POV

“I want to go with you~.” Jongsuk pouted.

“I already told you that you can’t. I have exams today so you can’t go inside the classroom with me.” Woobin said back.

“I can stay outside then.” He continued pouting. Going to school Woobin was really fun for him so he wanted to go today as well but Woobin didn’t want him to.

“I’m not letting you stay outside all by yourself for like 4 hours.” Woobin said which was a logical reason. Jongsuk however was still upset that Woobin refused no matter how much he pleaded. Staying at home alone was getting boring to Jongsuk.

“4 hours won’t be long.” Jongsuk tried negotiating.

“Do you even know how long 4 hour is?” Woobin as back at him as they walked downstairs.

“What are you two arguing over early morning?” Auntie Soonok asked them as she set the table for breakfast.

“Good morning auntie Soonok. Jongsuk wants to go with me to school but I have exams so he can’t go in the classroom.” Woobin explained as he fixed the cuffs of dress shirt.

“He can wait outside then. He’s a lot more outgoing now.” She said but Woobin thought differently.

“Maybe a bit but 4 hours…”

“He can wait for you at the food court or the library.” She insisted.

“Library!” Jongsuk got all excited after hearing the library. He knew what the library was and he just wanted to go after knowing about it. Back when he was under the sea he often visit the library down there.

“You don’t even know how to read.” Woobin said making Jongsuk upset.

“So?” Jongsuk pouted.

“Why would an illiterate go to a library?” Woobin said out of frustration.

“Why are you so mean to him?!” Auntie Soonok got all fired up.

“Even if he can’t read there are images that he can look at!” She yelled at Woobin

“But he’s going to be all by himself.” Woobin changed back to the fact that he’s going to by himself.

“He’ll be fine. It’s not like he’s some kind of odd specimen that people would call the cops on or kidnap!” She said which Woobin got flustered from hearing.

‘Well… he is…’ Woobin said in his head. He then glanced to Jongsuk who had cute pleading face. In the end he decided to give in since it was what he wanted.

“You really want to go even if I’m not with you?” Woobin asked him.

“Mmhmm~ I will quietly wait for you!” Jongsuk said strongly.

“Huhh~ Okay.” Woobin sighed

“Yay~!” Jongsuk cheered. Woobin couldn’t help but to smile at his reaction.

‘I didn’t think this day would come… wanting to go out... Not only that but begging me and whining… You’ve really changed~ But I don’t mind. You’re even cuter.’ Woobin chuckled just thinking about it to himself. They both ate breakfast before heading out. He parked the car and walked to the library with Jongsuk who was a lot more timid then earlier.

“What are you doing now? You said you wanted to go all morning.” Woobin said to Jongsuk who was staying close behind him.

“I do want to go~” He said softly.

“But you’re scared aren’t you?” Woobin said worried.

“Mhm… Not really. I can stay by myself.” Jongsuk said moving away a bit. He really did wanted to go to the library even if he was going to be alone. He’s just still not use to all the people. They both went into the library and Jongsuk was in awe.

“Woah~ so many books~” He had his mouth wide open.

“So this is what a human library is like~” He smiled widely.

“Yeah there’s a lot…” Woobin said smiling as well.

“Since this is a library. A lot of people here are reading so we need to be quiet.” Woobin whispered.

“Oh, okay.” Jongsuk nodded as they went in further.

“You can’t really read yet can you?” Woobin asked him feeling bad that he call him illiterate earlier.

“Not really.” Jongsuk shook his head.

“Umm what is it that you want to look through?” Woobin asked him.

“I’m not sure…” Woobin then just briefly explained to him where the books were and what he can do along with what he shouldn’t. He also turned Jongsuk’s phone onto to vibrate and said that he’ll call once he comes back.

“Remember you can’t talk loudly in here.” Woobin reminded him

“Mmhm~ I won’t even talk!” Jongsuk whispered proudly.

“Okay, if anything call me. If it really is an emergency you can always ask someone here. They’re not bad people.” Woobin said a bit doubtful since there are people that can be rude. After much hesitation Woobin finally left and Jongsuk was all on his own. Before he was worried being all by himself but now that he was there he was just so interested in the books. Jongsuk just wandered around and looked through the books. He couldn’t really read so he flipped through the books and looked at the images.

‘This place is huge~ I can learn a lot here. Well. If only I can read…’ Jongsuk said in his head. He went from book-to-book, shelf-to-shelf, looking for something interesting to try to read.

“Oh, plants~” Jongsuk found a book about plants. Woobin had some books similar to that one so he was excited to look through it. Once he was done he grabbed another book in that same section to look at.

‘This is another book on plants… This area must be books on plants.’ Jongsuk said in his head. He really wanted to look through all the books so he moved over to the next section to see what the books were about. He spent a good amount of time going up and down the shelves all alone. No one was near him so he was practically in his own world up until a young lady came into the aisle. Jongsuk glanced at her cautiously but she was busy searching for a book.

“R~ Reductionism~” She said to herself as her eyes scanned the shelf. Jongsuk remained quiet and pretended not to see her.

“Oh there it is!” She said happily and reached for the book. Unfortunately the book was on the top shelf, which was way to high for her.

“Ugh~ noo~” She pouted as she tried getting it. She looked around for the step stool but there wasn’t any around. Jongsuk glanced at her since he heard her struggling. They met eyes and so Jongsuk offered to help.

“I… can help you get it…” Jongsuk said softly.

“Oh can you? There isn’t a step stool around.” She smiled. Jongsuk just nodded and walked over to her with his head down. He the glanced at her nervously before just turning to the shelf.

“Thank you for helping. I need this book for class.” She said being all friendly.

“Can you get that book? Reductionism in Art and Brain Science.” She said pointing vaguely to the top shelf. Jongsuk followed her finger since he didn’t know what the rest she said was.

“This one?” Jongsuk pointed to the book.

“No… The one next to it.” She pointed towards the left a bit confused.

“Ohh..” Jongsuk moved his hand over and grabbed the book beside it.

‘I wonder what this book is about.’ Jongsuk said in his head.

“Ummm… Reductionism in Art and Brain Science.” She pointed at the title and showed Jongsuk.

‘Oh so what she said was the name of the book.’ Jongsuk said in his head.

“Ah… I… can’t read…” Jongsuk said embarrassed. He couldn’t lie about it so he just told her the truth. She didn’t seem like a mean person so he felt that it was okay to tell her.

“Oh really? I’m sorry…” She said feeling apologetic.

“I thought you were just playing around with me…” She giggled nervously. Jongsuk shook his head and smiled back shyly.

“If you don’t mind… May I ask if it could be an illness…?” She was a bit curious.

“No… I just haven’t learned how to read and write.” Jongsuk said softly.

“Oh. Did you… go to school?” She was determined to find out about this stranger she just met.

“I have but I didn’t learn Korean...” Jongsuk said softly

“Ahhh~ so that’s the case! You just don’t know hangul. It’s because you don’t seem like a foreigner.” She chuckled. Jongsuk just went along with her and smiled since he knew she was being friendly with him.

“If you can’t read hangul then why are you here? Most of the books are in hangul. Are you looking for something?” She asked him.

“Umm…I’m not looking for anything… I’m just looking at all the books. The pictures. Most of them have pictures.” Jongsuk smiled awkwardly.

“Ohh~ so you’re just looking though the books for fun? Are you planning on learning hangul?” She was curious.

“I want to but it’s really hard.” Jongsuk pouted.

“There’s a section that has books on teaching hangul. Would you like to see those books?” She asked him.

“Teaching hangul? Oh, yes I want to see those books.” Jongsuk smiled excitedly. She then walked him over to that section since she wasn’t busy.

“These are hangul. If you have someone that could help you it’ll be easy. Not to mention you can speak it just fine.” She said to him

“Ohh~” Jongsuk nodded happily.

“What are these books?” Jongsuk saw some colorful books with drawings on the cover.

“These are children books. They could also help you learn hangul too.” She said showing him a few books

“Ohhh~ I like these” Jongsuk smiled as He looked through the children’s books. He really liked the drawing since there were cute looking and full of colors.

“Well I have to go to class now. It was nice talking to you.” She said

“Yes~ It was nice talking to you too.” Jongsuk smiled.

“Bye~” She walked away shyly.

“He’s handsome and cute at the same time. I wonder if he goes to this university.” He heard her talking to herself as she walked away.

‘Oh is that a praise.’ Jongsuk was proud to have received such compliments.

“I can’t wait to tell Woobin. And these books!” Jongsuk said excited. Jongsuk looked through the books just wanting to take them all. He then saw some people taking a few books with them so he did the same. He then saw some people sitting down to read the books. Some were at the table and some just sat on the floor so he did the same. He sat on the floor with his little stack of books.

“Huhh~ I hope he’s okay.” Woobin said rushing out of the classroom. He was done with all of his exams and was now going to the library to get Jongsuk. He was going to call but decided to just go in and look for him. He when past each aisle to see if he was three but couldn’t find him.

‘I wonder where is…’ Woobin said in his head as he glanced at the people walking around just in case he missed him. He then saw a familiar figure sitting on the floor.

“There he is.” Woobin smiled upon finding him.

‘Why is he on the floor though? I thought I told him he could sit at the tables.’ Woobin said in his head as he walked over to him.

“Hello~” Woobin said softly.

“Oh, Woobin!” Jongsuk looked up and smiled brightly. Jongsuk quickly got up to greet Woobin.

“Why are you on the floor? There are tables and chairs.” Woobin whispered.

“There’s too many people. I don’t want to take someone’s spot…” Jongsuk said innocently

“The spots aren’t reserved so what are you scared of.” Woobin explained.

“What are you reading?” Woobin asked looking at the books that he got. He saw that there were children’s books along with book on learning hangul.

“Ohh~ how did you manage to find these?” Woobin was impressed.

“Earlier and young lady helped me.” Jongsuk smiled.

“Really?” Woobin was surprised to here that.

“Mmhm~ I helped her get a book and then she helped me find these books. She also called me handsome and cute.” Jongsuk giggled.

“Oh did she….” Woobin forced a smile but was a bit suspicious of who this ‘young lady’ was.

“There so many books I want read all of them. Are we going leave already?” Jongsuk was sad.

“I can check these books out for you.” Woobin said picking up all the books he had.

“Oh? You mean we can take them home?” Jongsuk asked him.

“Yup, we’re borrowing it and then when we’re done reading we can return them.” Woobin smiled.

“Ahh~ Okay. That’s really good!” Jongsuk was so happy that he could take them home. They brought the book out to the front and check them out under Woobin’s name. The entire ride home was Jongsuk explaining the books to Woobin since Woobin could look at the books while driving. When they got home Woobin did his work while Jongsuk continued looking through the books.

Such a cutie.’ Woobin smiled as he stared at Jongsuk who was focused on the book.

*beep beep * His phone beeped.

“What is it?” Woobin didn’t know what he set the alarm for. He turned the screen on to see what the notification was for.

‘Full moon tomorrow.’ He read in his head stunned.

‘Then… There’s going to be a full moon tomorrow night…’ Woobin got all worried now.

‘What do I do?’ Woobin asked himself. Jongsuk just looked so happy right now and so he didn’t want to ruin his mood.

“Huhh~” He sighed.

“What’s the matter?” Jongsuk heard his sigh and asked him.

“Huh? Oh nothing.” Woobin lied. Jongsuk kept his stare on Woobin since he knew there was something wrong.

“Okay~ I know I shouldn’t lie.” Woobin gave in.

“Mmhm~ Just tell me so that we can solve the problem.” Jongsuk smiled.

‘Well this problem we can’t really solve.’ Woobin said in his head.

“Tomorrow night… There will be a full moon.” I said to him. He was surprised when Woobin told him but then he just smiled and nodded.

“Oh, okay.” He said casually.

“Aren’t you worried?” Woobin asked him.

“Not really. There’s nothing much that I can do since the curse will happen anyways. Plus now I know what’s going to happen and when it’s going to happen.” Jongsuk said positively.

“Huhh~ you’re so positive about it.” Woobin sighed.

“We need to prepare for it don’t you think?” Woobin asked him.

“Hmmm~ prepare what?” Jongsuk asked back.

“Well since you said the cold water helps… maybe I can order some ice.” Woobin suggested.

“Oh, ice would help.” Jongsuk smiled. Seeing him like that Woobin was just loss for words and just panicked by himself in the inside.

“Tomorrow I’m going to stay home with you.” Woobin said since he didn’t want Jongsuk to be alone.

“Why? You can go to school. It’s not going to happen until night time.” Jongsuk said.

“I’m too worried about you so how would I be able to go to class?” Woobin said back.

“I’ll be okay. As long as Woobin is there with me then it’ll be okay.” Jongsuk said smiling.

‘How can you be smiling like that…’ Woobin was confused at him.