Strange Friend

That Strange New Friend

Jongsuk’s POV

I stood behind Woobin nervously as the door opened.

‘I’m so nervous’ I panicked but I really wanted to get through this.

‘Woobin would be so happy and I don’t have to make him worry about me.’ I reminded myself.

“Hello Auntie.” Woobin said making me tighten my grasp on the back of his shirt.

“Oh, hello Woobin.” She said in a happy voice.

“I just went grocery shopping” She said in which I heard the sound of the plastic bags.

“Auntie, there’s someone that wants to see you.” Woobin said before turning back to look at me. I looked up nervously at him and gave him a small nod. He then step aside so that I was right in Soonok Auntie’s view. Our eyes met for a bit but then I looked down to the floor.

“H-Hello~” I said softly and went back behind a bit for cover.

“Oh, hello Jongsuk-sshi. I am very happy that you wanted to see me.” She said making me smile. I looked up and saw smiling so I felt a lot better.

“You’re really handsome just like Woobin here.” She said making me embarrassed.

“Handsome..” I said softly as I glanced at Woobin. He just had a big smile on his face.

“Good job.” He said and placed his heavy hand on top of my head and ruffled my hair. That made me really happy

“Let me carry those Auntie.” Woobin said grabbing the bags from her.

“I want to do it.” I said taking the bags from Woobin.

“O-Oh.” He giggled.

“Today must be a special day. Having two handsome young men help me.” Soonok Auntie chuckled. Once in a while I would glance at Soonok Auntie but I couldn’t look at her too long. Especially when her eyes meet mines I would panic. The entire time Woobin and I stayed in the kitchen to help Soonok Auntie. I had so much fun and I was really happy because I have always wanted to learn how to cook. Living with just Woobin we didn’t cook anything but then Soonok Auntie came and made food for us almost everyday. I really wanted to learn how to cook so now I can learn from her.

“Ohh~ you’re good.” Woobin said over my shoulder as I cut up the carrot.

“I am?” I was happy to hear that.

“Well all I would say is that you’re probably better than Woobin.” Soonok Auntie said.

“So... Am I good?” I wasn’t sure what she meant.

“Yes, but you need a lot more training.” She said to me.  The entire time I had such a great time learning how to cook. Woobin didn’t seem like he enjoyed cooking. He was watching me the entire time.

“Jongsuk-sshi, so where are your parents?” Auntie asked making me stop for a bit.

“I don’t have parents.” I said softly.

“Auntie, t-the soup is boiling over.” Woobin said changing the topic. I glanced at him and he had a sad look on his face. He then placed his hand on my shoulder and gave a small squeeze. 

‘Is he worried about me?’ I wondered. I then gave him a smile so that he wouldn’t worry for me.

“I’m sorry Jongsuk. I just want to get to know you more.” Soonok Auntie said.

“It’s okay. I’m okay.” I smiled to her.

“I was raised by my grandfather.” I explained.

“Ah, that’s nice to hear. Where did you live? From your accent you sound like you lived overseas.” She said.

“Umm..” I glanced over to Woobin for help.

“Uhh, yeah. He was raised in… America! Right?” Woobin answered and looked over to me.

“Y-…” I stopped since I remembered that I couldn’t tell a lie. I stared at Woobin panicking. I then shook my head making him confused.

“What?” He whispered.

“I can’t lie.” I whispered into his ear.

“Ahh~!” Woobin just remembered as well.

“So Jongsuk why are you here in Korea? Are you all by yourself?” Soonok Auntie asked not noticing our weird behavior.

“Uh, I am here alone…” I answered trying to not sound too weird.

‘She asked me why…. Why am I here?...’ I thought about it. I looked over to Woobin so that he could help me again.

“He’s here, just for fun.”

“How is it fun when you’re not comfortable around other people?”

Woobin then looked over to me as if he was seeking an answer from me.

‘I don’t know what to say’ I said in my head as I stared at him with wide eyes.

“Because of me!” He said all of a sudden.

“We met each other when I was over in the States for a vacation. We became good friends so I took him over here...” Woobin explain in which I smiled.

‘Is actually is kind of like that.’ I smiled.

“You took him over here? The poor kid leaving home because of you.” Soonok Auntie said making me laugh.

“It’s okay. I like it here.” I answered laughing. Woobin looked at me and smiled as well. We then continued cooking as we talked. It was mostly about me so I was embarrassed talking about myself. Some of the things I couldn’t explain so Woobin had to explain for me. When we were done we all sat down and ate lunch together. It was weird eating with another person. When we were done eating Soonok Auntie had to go somewhere so she left.

“Oh, Jongsuk-ah, I have something for you.” Woobin said.

“Something? What?” I was excited.

“A present.” He smiled as he went over to the closet and took out a small box. On top there was a blue ribbon and the outside of the box was shiny with stripes.

“What is it?” I kept my eyes on the box excited.

“I bought it yesterday but I forgot to give it to you. It’s something you need.” He said and handed it to me. I held both my hands out and he placed it on top of my hands. I stared at is since it looked so pretty.

“Can I open it?” I asked him to make sure.

“Of course.” He smiled. I then placed it on my lap and I started figuring out how to open it. I saw a slit and found out that the outside was paper so I carefully took the paper off.

“You can just rip it open.” He said and reached over to help me.

“No~ I don’t want to rip it.” I pouted.

“Okay. Need any help?” he said leaning over close to me.

“No, I got it.” I said as I diligently took the pretty paper off. I set it aside and stared at the box. I still had no idea what it was. There were some words on the box but I couldn’t read it.

“Over here.” Woobin reached over and opened the box for me. Right when he opened it I saw a black phone sitting inside

“Oh, a phone.” I smiled.

“If you’re going to be living with me, you’ll need one.” He said. I picked the phone up and looked all around it.

It’s just like Woobin’s” I said.

“Yeah, it's the same.” Woobin said taking his phone out.

“Let me teach you how to use it.” Woobin said as he scooted closer. I just stared at him for a bit since he was so close.

“Just press this button and it will turn on.” He pointed to the button on the side. He started teaching me all sorts of things on the phone. It was up to the point where he had to go to school. Afterwards I was all alone in the house… with my new phone.

“Huhh~” I yawned as I stared at the TV tiredly.

“I wonder what school is like.” I said to myself. Woobin went to school everyday except from tomorrow. He said tomorrow he will stay will me all day. He said he learns a lot at school and has lots of friends.

“Can I go to school?” I asked myself.

‘I want to but there too many humans. Who knows what could happen. I don’t think I am human enough yet. And I cannot lie so I’m going to be dead.’ I said in my head.

“Let’s watch YV~!” I said grabbing the remote to turn the TV on.

Woobin’s POV

“Ehh~ I told you I can’t go.” I said escaping from their grip.

“Whyy~?” They were all whiney all of a sudden

“No excuses this time. You have to go clubbing with us today.” Jonghyun said to me

‘Looks like they’re not buying my excuses anymore’ I said in my head. I guess I have been spending a lot of time with Jongsuk rather then with them like usual.

“Why do I have to?” I argued.

“It’s like your medicine you need your weekly dosage in order to function well.” Inguk said which was so weird.

“What are you saying?”

“Come on, it’s Saturday.” They said and dragged me away.

“You’ve been sneaking away recently. Could it be that you got yourself a girl friend?”

“No I don't have a girlfriend. It’s just. I’ve been busy with school work.” I lied

“School work?! Pfft~ you’ve got to be kidding me.” They laughed.

“Okay, what? Clubbing? Let’s go!” I said loudly. I had not more excuse as if any would work right now. I might as well just go with them and then leave early. I didn’t want to admit it but I was in a good mood for a drink. It’s been a while since I had a drink let alone in a club. On our way to the club I trailed in the back of the group to call Jongsuk.

“Let’s see if he knows how to answer.” I said as I waited. I then heard a click probably because he answered the phone.

“Woobin?” He said immediately.

“Yes, it’s me.” I chuckled.

“My first real phone call on my new phone.” He sounded to happy.

“Yeah, good job.”

“Mmmh, so why did you call me Woobin?” He asked.

“Oh, I’m going to stay out late till tonight. Just go ahead and eat dinner without me. Also go to bed without me. I’ll be home as soon as I can.” I said to him.

“Oh, you’re going to come home late…” He said softly.

‘He’s sad isn’t he’ I could tell from his tone of voice.

“I’m sorry. Some of my friends wants to hang out with me.”

“Oh, okay. Go have fun with your friends. Don’t worry about me.” He said in a happier tone.

“Really?” I was a bit worried. Ever since we’ve been living together I’ve never been out late at night.

“Mhmm~ I will be okay. I’ll be good inside the house.” He giggled in which made me giggle as well.

“Okay, don’t cause any trouble.” I laughed.

“Have fun with your friends Woobin.” He said loudly.

“Okay, I’ll be home as soon as I can. Don’t wait for me since I don’t know when I’ll be home” I whispered.

“Okay~ have fun.” He said cutely.

“Yes~ Bye.” I said back and hung up.

“Huhh~ I hope he’ll be okay.” I said to myself.

“What are you doing back there Woobin? Hurry up!” Jaehyun shouted to me.

“Oh! I was just on the phone.” I said and rushed towards them.

“Are you sure you don’t have a girlfriend?” Minwoo asked.

“Of course I don’t. Where do I have the spare time?” I said back.

‘It’s the truth though. Jongsuk is definitely not my girlfriend. Just a friend. A strange friend.’ I said in my head.