Because You Wanted To See Me

That Strange New Friend

Jongsuk’s POV

It’s been a few days that Soonok Auntie has been coming here. Woobin brought the TV into his room so that I could watch since I have nothing to do. She’s okay though. Her food is very good and she doesn’t seem mean. Right now Woobin went to school again and I was watching TV in his room. I was curious as to what Soonok Auntie was doing and wanted to see for myself. Woobin said she just cooks and cleans for us but I want to actually see her doing it. I’m curious as to what humans do. I do see it on the TV but the TV isn’t really real. I took up the courage and decided to go out of the room today.

‘Where is she right now?’ I wondered as I pressed my ear against the door.

“I don’t hear anything…” I said to myself.

“ I don’t hear her so she must be downstairs… I can go out then.” I smiled. I carefully opened the door and peered out to the empty house. I quietly walked down the hallway and down the stairs towards the kitchen.

‘Should I do this?’ I hesitated.

‘I’m kind of scared…’ I said in my head.

‘Should I just wait until Woobin get’s back? He said he’ll be back soon’ I was worried. I know she’s not a bad person because she is Woobin’s friend.

*sniff *

‘Oh it smells good’ I smelled something really good.

‘She’s making something good again?’ I smiled as I got closer to the kitchen. I pressed my body against the wall and secretly looked into the kitchen.

‘I’m hungry…’ I said in my head as I stared at the food that's being cooked. I then saw her hands that were busy mixing the food in a pan. I then retreated since I was so nervous. I was determined to see what she looked like so I peeked back into the kitchen this time trying to see her face. I slowly saw the rest of her body and she looked just like the other older women in the TV. She was wearing a pink shirt and black pants. She then turned the fire of and carried the pan over to a place.

‘The food is done~’ I was happy. Just then my stomach roared. I quickly pulled myself back and leaned against the wall covering my stomach and my mouth.

‘She saw me! ...’ I panicked.

‘I... I have to hide!’ I just thought and rushed away from the kitchen. I quickly opened the first door I saw and went inside. It was completely dark since I even closed the door.

“Ah-“ I groaned but then covered my mouth because I bumped my knee against something.

‘Ahh~ it hurts.’ I rubbed my knee. I then sat down and hugged my knees.

‘What should I do? I think she saw me.’ I panicked.

‘Would she yell at me?’ I wondered. I sat there for a bit too scared to leave.

‘It’s so dark in here… I can’t even see myself.’ I sighed. Just then I heard the front door open.

‘Oh is Woobin home?’ I was happy.

“I’m back!” Woobin said entering the house.

“Welcome back. I just finished cooking.” Soonok Auntie said to him. They continued talking for a bit but I couldn’t really hear.

‘What if Woobin ask why I’m in here?’ I sat there and thought about it.

‘Will Woobin be mad? Would he yell at me?’ I wondered.

“Will he laugh at me?’ I didn’t know what Woobin would do.

“Thank you Auntie.”

“Enjoy the food. No need to walk me out.” Soonok Auntie said.

‘Is she leaving?’ I just sat there and waited.

“Bye Auntie.” Woobin said to her.

“Bye you two!” She said and left.

‘Wait… you… two… Two? Did she mean me too?’ I was surprised. I sat there and waited until Woobin walked away since I didn’t want Woobin to see me here. Just then the door opened and the light shined into the small dark closet.

“Oh...” I looked up and saw Woobin standing there.

“Jongsuk…” He stared at me surprised.

“W-Woobin…” I was embarrassed.

“What are you doing in here for?” He held out his hand to help me up. I grasped his hand and pulled myself up.

“Umm~” I tried to think of what to say.

“What happen to your leg?” He asked me probably because I was limping.

“I hit my knee into something in there.” I said looking into the closet.

“That.” I pointed to the shelf.

“Be more careful. Are you hurt anywhere else?” He asked as he checked my body.

“No~” I shook my head.

“But… Woobin how did you know I was in there?” I asked him.

“Auntie told me.”

“Ah…” I was worried.

“What happen? Why are you out here and not in my bedroom?” Woobin asked.

“I… Are you mad?” I asked him first off.

“No, why would I be mad?” He said back.

“Ohh~.” I smiled.

“Were you curious on what she was doing?” He asked me. I just nodded.

“That’s good. I’m glad that you were brave enough to leave the room.” Woobin said smiling. I just smiled back as well.

‘When Woobin is happy, I’m happy too.’ I said in my head. I then glanced over to Woobin’s hands in which were holding onto me.

“I’m okay now.” I said showing him that my leg doesn’t hurt anymore.

“Oh... Are you hungry? The food is all ready.” Woobin said.

“Mmhm~ I’m hungry.” I nodded excitedly. We then went into the kitchen to eat dinner. We just sat down and ate as Woobin told me about his. Everything sounded interesting and I really want to see and do the things that he does but not now. I need just a bit more time to get use to it. When we were done Woobin would go to his working room to do his school work. When Woobin is in there I’m scared to bother him. He seemed really focus on his books so I stayed really quiet. Woobin turned the TV on for me in his bedroom so that I wouldn’t be bored. I wanted to close the door but Woobin said not to so I turned the TV volume down all the way so that it wouldn’t bother Woobin.

‘If it is loud then Woobin can’t focus on his books’ I said in my head as I stared at the silent TV. It was okay since I get to see everything.

“What are you doing?” Woobin came into the room.

“Huhh?!” I sat up startled.

“Is the volume broken?” He walked over to the bed and picked up the remote controller.

“No… I turned it down.” I told him.

“Why?” He said turning the volume up.

“Uhhh…” I was going to lie but that doesn’t work.

“I don’t want to bother Woobin.” I said shyly as I glanced over to him.

“Ha~” he smiled and reached over patting my head. It was nice feeling his hand on my head.

“Thanks but it doesn’t bother me.” Woobin said but I didn’t believe him.

“Just watch TV comfortably.” He said and left the room to go back to his school work.

“Huhh~ Why am I the only one that doesn’t get to lie?” I pouted and stared back at the TV. The show that was on wasn’t interesting and I still feel bad that the TV is making a lot of noise. I decided to turn it off and go do something else.

‘What should I do?’ I wondered. I then left the room and just wandered around quietly.

‘I want to see Woobin.’ I thought and just went to the room where he was. I secretly stood against the wall and peered into the room. I could see Woobin doing something on his laptop. Just then Woobin stopped.

‘Oh, what’s the matter?’ I wondered. He then looked up over to me abruptly and so I couldn’t hide quick enough.

‘Ahh… Again…’ I pouted

“What is it?” Woobin asked me. I then slowly walked out to the doorway. I just kept my head down no sure of what to say. I played with my hands as I thought of what to say.

“Are you bored?” He asked me.

“Mmhm~” I nodded.

“Come over here.” He said making me look up to him. I then walked over to him curious as to what he’ll say to me.

“Could it be that you wanted to see me?” He asked me smiling widely.

“Eh…” I was surprised when he said that.

‘Is he teasing me?’ I wondered.

“No~” I shook my head.

*hic * I got the hiccups. Woobin was surprised when I got the hiccups. He then started laughing.

“Hahaha~” I laughed making me embarrassed

*hic *

“Yes, I just wanted to see what Woobin was doing!” I confessed so that the hiccups would stop. I turned around and was going to leave when Woobin got up from his chair.

“Jongsuk-ah, would you like to read a book?” He asked me making me stop. I turned around slowly and glanced at him.

“Would you like to stay here and read a book with me?” He asked me.

‘Well… it’s not like I can lie…’ I said in my head.

“Do you have any interesting book?” I asked him.

“Of course just pick one off the shelf.” He said as he walked over to the shelf of books. I just smiled as I followed him.

“Would you want to see pictures? Cartoons?” He asked me.

“What does Woobin like?” I asked him.

“Umm, how about this manga?” He took a book off the shelf and handed it to me.

“Mmhm~ this one.” I said taking it from his hand.

“Sit here with me.” He pointed at his desk.

“With Woobin?” I was surprised.

‘Where would I sit?’ I wondered. Woobin then brought a chair over to in front of his desk.

“Right here.” He said before going to sit down in his one seat. I walked over to the seat and stared at it and then to Woobin.

‘I have to sit in front of Woobin?’ I was a bit embarrassed.

“Sit down.” He said to me.

“Really?” I asked him.

“I want you to sit here.” He said making me pout.

“Well if Woobin wants Jongsuk to sit here then I will.” I said and sat down.  We just smiled and Woobin continued working as I sat there and read the book. Once in a while I would glance at him and he would look back at me. It was weird and I felt so nervous.

“Huhh~” I yawned. Woobin glanced at me and then to his laptop.

“Ah, it’s this late already. I’m sorry. You must be tired. You can go to bed first.” Woobin said to me.

“I want to wait for Woobin.” I said tiredly and rubbed my eyes.

“No, come on let’s go to bed together.” He said as he closed his laptop.

“Woobin can finish your school work.” I said.

“It’s okay. I can finish it tomorrow morning.” He said cleaning up his table.

“Let’s go.” He said walking over to me and held onto my arm.

“If you’re sleep you should just go to sleep.” He said and walked out of the room with me.

“Woobin said you wanted me to sit with you.” I said back.

“Huhh~ just because I said that.” Woobin sighed.

‘Why? Did I do something wrong?’ I wondered.

“Thank you and I’m sorry.” He said patting my head.

“Mmhm~” I shook my head.

“Woobin didn’t do anything wrong.” I said back. He just smiled before we went to brush our teeth. We went to bed together like usual. The next day was similar to the day before. Woobin and I spent the morning together but this time I stayed with Woobin in his working room. I really like it now also there were lots of books that I could read. Once it was time for school Woobin had to leave and right at that time Soonok Auntie came by. I stayed in the room like usual but today I was not curious.

‘I wonder what she’s doing.’ I said in my head as I stared at the TV. I was curious but I didn’t plan on leaving the room again. Once in a while I would hear her footsteps right outside the door but she was just walking by.

‘She should be leaving soon right?’ I said in my head after a long time of just watching TV. Suddenly there was a knock on the door

*knock- knock * I flinched on the bed.

 “The food is done. I’ll be leaving the lunch here for you.” She said before I heard her footsteps distancing.

“Lunch? Here?” I was confused. I slowly opened the door once I was sure she was gone. I peeked the door open and glanced around.

“What was that?” I wondered. I then looked down and saw a bunch of food on a big plate that’s like a flat table.

“Oh, food!” I opened the door and pulled it inside before closing the door.

 ‘Just when I’m hungry too. I guess she’s not that bad.’ I smiled before I started eating.

“Oh Woobin told me to wash my hands first.” I said and got up to go wash my hands in the bathroom. When Woobin came home I told him all of it. Woobin was really happy and so I thought that if I meet Soonok Auntie Woobin would be really really happy.

‘I should try my best and be brave.’ I told myself.  The next day I left my room again to go watch her. She was using a small towel  and was rubbing it all over the things in the living room.

‘She’s cleaning right?’ I said in my head.

‘She looks kind.’ I said since I got to see her face today. She then saw me and I just froze. I slowly pulled myself behind the wall but not all the way. I mean she had already saw me so running away wouldn’t matter. I just avoided looking at her hoping that she would just continue and ignored me. I glanced up and saw her smiling. She gave me a small bow so I bowed back since I learned that humans greeted like that. I meet eyes with her again and so I just started running off nervous.

“I did it!” I said to myself as I ran up the stairs and back into the room.

“I did it! Woobin would be happy!” I said excited. When Woobin came home I told him everything once again but something else as well.

“Woobin-ah”  I called out to him happily.

“Hmmm?” Woobin stared at me

“Umm, I think I’m okay seeing Soonok Auntie.” I said to him.

“You want to?” He asked me surprised.

“Mmmhm~” I nodded

“Then, I’ll introduce you to her tomorrow then. It’s Sunday so I’m going to be at home all day” Woobin said making me happy.

“Yay~ Woobin gets to stay at home tomorrow!” I hugged Woobin tightly.

“Oh Jongsuk-ah.” He called out to me.

“Hmmm~?” I pulled back and looked at him.

“I’ve been wanted to ask you this. Why have you been hugging me when you go to sleep?” Woobin asked me.

Oh… does he not like it?’ I was cared.

“Woobin doesn’t like it when I hug you?” I quickly let go of him.

“No, I’m just curious.” He said pulling me close to him.

‘Is that the truth or a lie?’ I wondered.

“Because back then Woobin said Woobin likes it when I hug you.” I told him softly.

“Right?” I glanced up at him.

“Mhm~ yes I do.” He smiled and pulled me into his arms. I happily hugged him back.

“What about you? Do you like hugging me?” He asked me.

“Mmhmm~ Woobin feels nice.” I said and snuggled into his chest. Woobin just kept on hugging me to the point I was almost suffocating because his arms were so strong and he held me for a long time.

“Woobin.” I called out to him.

“Huh~” He started moving and let go of me.

“I’m sorry did I hurt you?” he asked me.

“No~” I shook my head. It wasn’t a lie because I’m not hurt.

“Come on let’s go to bed early today.” He said getting up from the couch.

“Oh, okay.” I got up after him.