Meeting

That Strange New Friend

If you are curious about the characters then here are some pictures.

They're in pairs according to the story.

Kim Woobin         Anh Jaehyun

    

Lee Seunggi        No Minwoo

     

Lee Jonghyun         Seo Inguk

    

 

Woobin’s POV

“Okay guys get into pairs!” Seunggi shouted taking the role of the hyung.

“Jonghyun with Inguk, Jaehyun with Woobin, and Minwoo will be with me!” Seunggi decided it himself.

“Why do you get to decide?” I asked him.

“Because I’m the oldest.” He smiled.

“Ahhh, that answer again.” I groaned.

"Actually I'm the oldest." Minwoo said to him.

"Ah, I forgot." Seunggi realized.

“We’ll spilt up now and return here at 4:20 and start heading back before dinner starts.” Minwoo said as he set his watch. We all did the same to set the alarm.

“Oh I forgot my watch.” Jonghyun said out loud.

“We’re not surprised.” I smirked.

“Do I have to watch over you then?” Inguk was annoyed.

“You just have to tell me when we’re leaving, it’s not like we’re splitting up right?” He said as we all walked in our own direction. Each group searched around for organisms that are worth doing research on.

“Let’s go over here.” I led the way towards the edge of the cliff. We walked over and saw that the oceanwater was flowing in between the two cliffs making it into a river.

“I want to go look towards down there” I said to Jaehyun.

“Well I actually want to go up stream” He said smiling.

“Huhh~ we always have different thoughts yet we always get paired up.” I sighed.

“Yup, let’s just separate for now. I’ll go in that direction and you’ll go down there.” He said to me.

“Like that idea.” I said as I walked off.

“Don’t get yourself in trouble.”

“We’re adults not and not kids. I can take care of myself unlike Jonghyun.” I sneered.

“Plus all I need to survive is this bag.” I patted my backpack.

“It’s a good thing the two of us packed everything and not just camera and notepad.” Jaehyun chuckled.

“Yeah well see you later. Uh just incase if you hear a shout similar to mine, I would really recommend finding me and answering back.” I said to him.

“Sure. Vice versa as well. Oh you got the whistle?” He asked me.

“Of course. So either a shout or a whistle.” I started climbing down towards the edge.

“If I don’t answer back anytime soon then it’s a sign that your on your own.” I laughed.

“I understand, now let’s get started. See you later.” He said and turned around, beginning to climb up higher. As for me I climbed down to the rocks that are near the water. It was kind of hard so I decided to just swim along the rocks until I found an interesting spot. Of course not that far away since the buddy system was.

“Oh.” I saw that underneath the cliff was an area that looked like a cave. It seems that the cave’s floor is further in since the water was flowing inside. It seemed like it was worth examining so I might at well tell this to Jaehyun since I was being a thoughtful friend.

“Hyung!” I shouted but there was no reply.

“Jaehyun hyung!!” I shouted again.

“Huhhh what’s the point of the buddy system?” I said to myself. When I was climbing down near the water I slipped and fell into the water. Just a bit surprise but I wasn’t in danger.

“The water is pretty deep.” I said to myself as I kept my head above water. I then noticed an opening down stream so I swam towards it. It turns out to be a cave.

“Well it wouldn’t hurt to go in and take a look.” I said to myself as I swam into the cave. It was getting slightly dark but it didn’t bother me. I opened up my backpack and grabbed the flashlight I had packed.

“Usually the best things are in the hidden places.” I said as I looked around. There were lots of sea urchins and seashells on the cave floor so I assumed that he ocean water came into the cave occasionally.

‘Guess I’ll enjoy this myself.’ I turned my video camera on and recorded the walls  and floors of the cave.

“Recording of a cave  on June 16, 2013.” I said in the beginning as I slowly moved the camera around. When I got to the opening I saw a person in the water on the screen.

“Oh! That scared me!” I jumped. I saw a person so I thought it was Jaehyun but it turns out that it was someone else. I turned the camera off for now. I took a step forward making the person sink down into the water as if scared.

‘It’s a guy.’ I said in my head since he wasn’t wearing a shirt.

“Umm, who are you?” I asked. Instead of answering he placed something on the cave’s floor and pushed it towards me.

“Uh a notepad... wait my notepad?!” I searched my bag and it was indeed missing.

“Must have fallen out when I was in the water. Thank you.” I said to him as I walked over to pick it up. Again he lowered himself off the edge.

“Am I that scary to you?” I picked up the notepad.

‘I don’t think I’ve seen him before’ I said in head as I examined his face. From what I could see he had brown hair and light skin. His features were flawless as if he could be a model.

”So just who are you?” I asked him once again but still he remained silent.

‘What’s wrong with him?’ I wondered.

“Don’t want to be rude but can you talk?” I asked him. As his answer he shook his head.

“Oh, no wonder” I was surprised.

“My bad.” I smile and gave a small bow.

“So uh I haven’t seen you before. You’re not part of the Biology club are you?” I asked him.

“You can just nod or shake your head.” I continued and he shook his head

“Oh then you’re probably just tagging along for the fun I suppose. Who wouldn’t want to go on a yacht.” I said as I picked up the shells on the floor.

“What your name?” I asked realizing that that answer will be hard to get. When I turned around I saw him flustered.

“Here you can write it.” I wanted to hand him my notepad but he shook his head.

“Ah, why? Am I that much of a stranger to you?” my voice echoed inside the cave.

“Fine I’ll give you a nick name then so that we can refer to each other?” I decided. He gave me a nod so I began thinking of a name. I stared at him and saw that he had flawless skin with a distinctive mole under his right eye. I trailed my eyes down to his sharp nose and thick lips.

“Do you mind Ducky?” I asked him. His lips curved into a smiled before nodding.

“Well hello Ducky, I’m Woobin.” I extended my hand for a handshake but he didn’t give me the expecting response.

“Uh not the handshake type huh.” I retracted my hand as I looked around.

“Why don’t you come up here?” He shook his head.

“You enjoy the water more?” He nodded happily.

‘He’s not the friendly type is he?’ I said in my head.

“Then you can hang around or go else where if you like.” I said as I continued working.

“Starfish, seaweed, and dead sea urchins. It would have been better if they were alive. “ I said as I looked around. I turned around and saw that Ducky already left.

“I wasn’t serious about leaving me. Having him accompany me was better than having no one. I sat down and officially started working. I decided that my topic would on sea urchins. A lot of other people are probably going to do it on that too but it doesn’t matter. I took my notepad out and jotted down the information.

“Huhhh~ purple, spikey, and dead.” I examined it but I didn’t know what else to say.

“Aren’t all sea urchins like this?” I tossed it aside annoyed. I should probably go diving for some good ones.” I closed my notepad and was about to leave when I saw a figure in the water.

“Aish!” I jump. I turns out that Ducky came back.

“You should stop doing that!” I shouted. He face looked so said when I yelled at him so I felt bad.

“So why are you back?” I asked him again not knowing how he would give me an answer. He raised his arm and placed something on the cave floor.

“What’s that?” I went and picked it up.

“Isn’t this a sea urchin? Whoa it’s looks cool and different. It’s just what I needed. Oh did you get this for me?” I asked him surprised. He gave me a small nod.

“Thanks, I was just going to go look for some myself.” I said to him. I reached out and wanted to pat his head but he flinched so I didn’t know what I should do.

“Uh right, you don’t like skin ship.” I said as I backed up.

‘Even if it’s just one I guess I’ll use it so that Ducky could be happy. He seems weird at first but now he’s so friendly.’ I smiled as I looked at him. I sat back down, leaning my back again the cave’s wall as I continued working. I took a picture of the sea urchin and began writing down the description.

“Color is white, peach, orange, and red. Status is alive! Texture is bumpy…” I looked up and saw that Ducky left again.

“What is he a ghost? He just disappears and reappear without a sound.” I said to myself.

‘I have the feeling he’s coming back.’ I said in my head. I decided to move over to the edge so that I could see him when he comes back instead of jumping each time. As expected he did came back. He appeared out of the water and wiped his face before looking for me. This time he was the one that was surprised, since I was right next to him.

“See! Being surprised like this isn’t fun.” I said back giggling.  He let out a shy smile before handing me another sea urchin.

“Thank you but you don’t have to keep doing it.” I said but he nodded vigorously.

“You want to do it?” I asked him. Again he nodded.

“I feel bad for making you dive down there for me.” I was very touch by his actions. I looked at his happy face and couldn’t say no.

‘How can he have such a cute happy face when he just got up from diving down so long? If it was me I would be out of breath.’ I said in my head. I then saw a small starfish tangled in his hair.

“Stay still.” I reached out and took the starfish out of his hair. He was a bit frightened but he didn’t back away this time.

“A starfish was in your hair.” I showed it to him. He gave me a bright smile as he gave me a bow, probably as a thank you.

“You are welcome, it’s the least I could do for you in return.” I held u the sea urchin from before.

“I’m done with it, I don’t need it anymore.” I handed it to him. He just held onto the sea urchin thinking. He then just tossed it over his shoulder and into the water.

“Ha-ha~ okay I’ll just toss them later.” I laughed. He also laughed along silently.

‘Such a great kid yet he can’t talk.’ I said in my head. The rest of my time there Ducky just kept on diving to get me sea urchins. He was pretty impressive though. He got me all sort of different sea urchins and seaweeds accidentally. Not only that but he wasn’t out of breath each time. Ducky is probably a great swimming since he could hold his breath so long.

“Woobin!” I heard my name being shout.  Ducky was startled by Jaehyun’s shout.

“Oh it’s Jaehyun, he’s my friend. I’ll introduce you to him.” I said as I got up.

“Jaehyun, I’m down here!” I shouted as I tried looking out of the cave.

“Jaehyun is pretty nice once you get to know hi-” I said turning around to see that Ducky was no longer there.

“Oh where did he go?” I was a bit disappointed.

“Yah, where are you?!” Jaehyun shouted.

“You have to jump down and swim here, it’s a cave!” I shouted. I checked my watch and saw that it was already 4:00. I went to pack my things as I waited for Jaehyun.

“Woah, how did you find this place?” Jaehyun asked me.

“I actually found it when I accidentally fell in the water. What’s your topic?” I asked him.

“Moss, you?” He asked back.

“Moss? Sounds a bit boring. I'm doing it on sea urchins, there’s actually a lot of different kinds.” I said as I zipped up my bag.

“Really? Oh I heard you talking earlier, was there someone else?” He asked me.

“Yeah, a new... strange friend I just met here.” I smiled.

“Where is he now?” Jaehyun looked around.

“I was going to introduce him to you but I guess he left. It’s because of you.” I said to Jaehyun joking.

“What? What did I do? I haven’t even seen this friend of your's yet!” Jaehyun said back.

“I think he an introvert type. He was very shy.”

“Well enough chitchat we need to start heading back.” Jaehyun checked his watch.

“Okay, let’s go.” I put on my backpack and jumped into the water after Jaehyun. I looked back hoping to see Ducky for a goodbye but he was gone.

‘Maybe I’ll see him at dinner. ‘ I said in my head.

“Come on Woobin!” Jaehyun shouted.

“Coming.” I turned around and continued swimming.

 


 

Thanks for reading.

Please subscribe if you liked it and leave a comment on your opinion! ^-^