Chapter 49

Beautiful Secret

 

It’s been a few days since Ji-hyo wake up from her coma. She had been transferred to a regular ward, but a very exclusive and private one. Jong Kook still wants a tight security at the ward so that Ji-hyo couldn’t be bothered by reporters. He wants to make sure Ji-hyo get well quickly and get lots of rest.

Ji-hyo’s condition had been better each day. There’s no more internal problem other than her wound of being stabbed. She’s already able to talk normally and not as weak as before. She also notices Jong Kook has not been himself since her awakeness and she wonder why. Jong Kook is more quiet and trying to avoid being too close to her.

Ji-hyo had just taken her breakfast when Jong Kook arrived. She sit up and lean on the headboard and just looking at Jong Kook. But like his daily routine, Jong Kook walks in and gives a kiss on Ji-hyo’s forehead and asks her condition and then making himself busy. Once in a while he will go out of the room and came back. 

Ji-hyo had decided to confront with him. Before this she’s still weak to even sit up for a long time. But today she feels different and she couldn’t bear seeing Jong Kook like that. When she asks Ji-eun, Ji-eun didn’t know the exact reason either coz all she knows, Jong Kook is so happy that she’s out of the critical condition.

“Jagiya……..can you sit here?”

Ji-hyo pat at the side of the bed, showing Jong Kook where she wants him to sit. Jong Kook agrees without saying anything.

“Jagiya…….can you hold me??”

At first Jong Kook seems worry that it will affect Ji-hyo’s wound. But Ji-hyo confirms she’s okay. Jong Kook follow Ji-hyo’s instruction without saying a word. His head is getting lower then Ji-hyo’s head until he rest his head on Ji-hyo’s shoulder, looking not at Ji-hyo but to the other side.

“Jagiya……what’s wrong?”

“………I miss you………”

“I miss you too…but you are being different since I wake up. You’ve been quiet and barely speak a word with me. Are you angry with me?”

“….No…….” Jong Kook answered with a husky voice. Ji-hyo feels like he’s crying thru his voice.

Ji-hyo rubbed Jong Kook’s back, trying to coax him with her soft voice. “Jagiya……share your pain with me….talk to me….”

But Jong Kook only tightens his embrace, making Ji-hyo worried.

“Jagiya……I’m sorry if you’re angry with me….I’m sorry if I’ve troubled you and everyone….”

“No! It’s nothing like that.” Jong Kook release the embrace and now looking at Ji-hyo while holding both her hands.

“Then what is it? I miss you so much. I miss listening to your voice. But all you did was keep quiet.”

“I’m……I’m just trying to handle my own emotion…..the feeling of almost losing you, Ji-hyo….and…..…until today….I cannot get rid of that scary feeling….I….”

Jong Kook started to cry again. Ji-hyo wipes his tears with her thumbs.

“We were too close……of losing you….and I…I can’t forget that moments….that feelings…which is why I can’t say anything to you…coz I’m still fighting within me…..I can’t believe that I almost lost you…..and…..”

His words were cut off when Ji-hyo put her finger on his mouth to shut him.

“Jagiya…let it go….I’m more than okay now…..let’s not think of the bad moments…I have to tell you, I’m scared too…I saw too many confusing things when I’m in coma…I’m afraid if I took a wrong path and I’ll never wake up…but….it was your strength that lead me…and I know when I wake up, you’ll protect me and keep me safe……so let’s put all this behind……..and I can’t do this alone….” Ji-hyo said softly.

Jong Kook simply hugs Ji-hyo again. Although Ji-hyo is sad for Jong Kook, but she tries to be the tough one.

“Jagiya,…close your eyes….” Jong Kook follow. “Remember our vacation in Maldives? The moment we step into the villa….the moment we were teasing each other…the moment we were swimming in the sea…your scary face when we’re going for parasailing….”

Jong Kook laughs on Ji-hyo’s shoulder shyly when remembering his scary moments when he was forced to do the parasailing.

“Aigoo….I can feel my baby is smiling now…..” Ji-hyo teases Jong Kook.

“Yahh!! I am no baby…..”

“Well, you are my baby…and I’m trying to comfort my baby now…hehehe….”

“Hahaha…If Jae-suk hyung and others hear this, they are gonna throw out….”

“They are just jealous I have a tough baby…with muscles…and biceps…hehehe…”

Jong Kook tap Ji-hyo’s nose. “My naughty love is back……”

“I came back stronger, cuter and naughtier…hehehe…..”

“You surely did….” Jong Kook smiling and sit next to Ji-hyo, leaning at the headboard.

“You okay now?” Ji-hyo asks.

“Hurm…..thanks to my love….”

“Hahahahha……cheesy…..”

Ji-hyo takes Jong Kook’s arm and hold it with both her hands while leaning on Jong Kook’s shoulder.

“Jagiya…I know what can make you happy…”

“Well….my happiest moment will be when we get to produce a baby of course…but I don’t think you were thinking about it now right? Eheheh….”

“Haishhh!! I wonder who was in coma…”

Jong Kook burst out laughing.

“Jagiya….I miss you……”

Then Ji-hyo simply bite Jong Kook’s arm.

“Yah! Yah! Ji-hyo ah……” Jong Kook couldn’t shout out loud coz they are in the hospital. So he tries to pull his arm from Ji-hyo.

Ji-hyo laughs and hold Jong Kook’s arm tighter, didn’t wanna let go. And suddenly one of the nurse came in to bring her medicine. She’s surprise to see the close position of Jong Kook and Ji-hyo.

“Owh….I’m sorry….I’m just……giving this medicine…” The nurse stutter.

Jong Kook and Ji-hyo just smile to her. They don’t care if she reveals it to the press either. They won’t hide out anymore.

When they were enjoying each other’s accompany, Ji-eun enter the room.

“Omo….the two love birds are finally clicked.”

“Yah! What do you mean click?” Jong Kook asks.

“Ahh oppa….unnie had been asking about you…she’s worried you’re a little bit different. But now I think, everything is okay hah? Heheh….unnie,  I brought you seaweed soup and also fish soup.”

“Owh….so sweet of you, my lovely sister…Did you prepare it?”

“Me? Cooking? Aishh…do you wanna stay forever in the hospital? Heheh…Umma cooked it for you…so you have to finish it...Anyway, umma and appa will come later.”

“Okay…Ji-eun ah…come and sit here…” Ji-hyo pat the other side of the bed for Ji-eun to sit.

Although feeling weird, Ji-eun did not ask but follow her order. Now Ji-hyo is sitting in between of Jong Kook and Ji-eun. She put her hands on Jong Kook’s and Ji-eun’s shoulder.

“I am so thankful to have both of you in my life. Not only both of you make my life happy, but you also make me miserable at times.”

“Ahh unnie…why did you say that?”

“I want to show my appreciation to both of you….”

Ji-hyo suddenly pull Jong Kook’s right ear and Ji-eun left ear at once making both of them scream. 

“Arghhh….Ji-hyo ah…what are you doing??”

“Unnie…..wae??? What have I done??”

“Huh!! You don’t think that I can hear about you in my coma? Hah jagiya….you said what, everyone is seducing you including Ji-eun? And you wanna bring Ji-eun to Maldives?”

“Arggh! Argghh! That was a joke….I simply talk craps….” Jong Kook defense himself.

“Ahh unnie….Who would wanna seduce Jong Kook oppa when he looks like zombie while you’re unconscious……”

“Oh really? And you, little sister, you wanna sell my engagement ring ah??”

“Mwuh?? Arghhhh!! Unnie, I don’t even know where’s your engagement ring, how can I sell it??”

“Ji-hyo ah…please let go..I’ll tell you everything…” Jong Kook pleaded Ji-hyo.

Ji-hyo releases them both. Jong Kook and Ji-eun quickly stand up while holding and rubbing their ears to ease the pain.

“So, tell me….”

“Ji-hyo ah…actually, I simply said all that, to wake you up…coz I know, your jealousy level is to the max. Who knows it may help you wake up…..but, you did wake up after that isn’t it?”

“Huh?? Trying to make me jealous even if I’m in coma?”

“Err….well….I would do anything for you in that situation, love…”

“Hahah…unnie, you should have seen him…He looks pitiful…..”

“So nothing happened?” Ji-hyo asking for confirmation.

“Of course nothing happened.”

“Ahh unnie….how can I do that to you…..but oppa, Maldives sounds good. Can you bring me there while unnie can’t move around?”

“Yahh!!”

“Aih unnie, you need to control your anger. Not good for your recovery…hehehe…”

“Ji-eun ah….I would love to bring you holiday with us one day. But that will only happened after we’re married and come back from honeymoon.”

“A-ni!! Let her go with her husband..”

“Ahh unnie…you are mean…..huhu…Anyway, I’m going to the café, hungry…talk to ya later, sista...”

Ji-eun leaves the room. Jong Kook sit back next to Ji-hyo.

“Jagiya…..I wanna go home….”

“Go home? That’s impossible, dear. You still need to change your dressing every day and your wound is still bleeding.”

“Jagiyaaaaa…….please……I will be much better if I’m at home. And I’m sure I’ll recover faster than staying here…”

“Erkk….no way, dear…I’m sorry but this is not a small matter…I will not take any risk anymore….”

Ji-hyo pouted then quickly lie on the bed. She pull the blanket up till it covers her head. Jong Kook is surprise but only smile at Ji-hyo’s cute act.

“Aigoo….my baby is sulking…..” Jong Kook lie next to Ji-hyo and hug her from outside the blanket.

“Omo!! What is this? Where’s Mong Ji??” Jae-suk suddenly approach.

Jong Kook quickly get down from the bed, too surprised to see Jae-suk and Haha.

 “Hyung, where’s Ji-hyo?”

Jong Kook can’t stop smiling and point to Ji-hyo on the bed with his eyes.

“Omo!! Miss Mong….Miss Mong ah…..” Jae-suk try to call Ji-hyo.

Ji-hyo pull down her blanket little by little till her eyes saw Jae-suk and Haha.

“Eheheh….annyeoung….” Ji-hyo greeted.

“Yah Miss Mong….What are you doing behind the blanket? Hah Jong Kook?”

“Err……a-ni…..we’re just playing hide and seek…hehehe….” Ji-hyo explained.

“Ah mwuh ya?? I saw Jong Kook lie on the bed while hugging you just now….aihhh these two…you really need to get married soon….” Jae-suk tell Ji-hyo.

“Hyung, imagine what I had to see during our vacation in Maldives…day and night, hyung…huhuhu…” Haha added.

“Yahhh Dong Hoon oppa!! Don’t exaggerate ah!!” Ji-hyo burst out jokingly making everyone laughing.

“Ji-hyo ah….I’m glad you are now getting better…We’re all worried about you especially ‘that man’….” Jae-suk hinted to Jong Kook.

“Ehehehe….n-neh, oppa…”

“Ji-hyo ah….get well very soon ah….We miss you at the set…Kwang Soo is always asking about you…” Haha added.

“N-neh, Dong Hoon oppa. Ask him to visit me ah…”

 

Two weeks passed just like seconds. Ji-hyo is finally allowed to go back. She still need to change the dressing but she didn’t have to stay at the hospital. Jong Kook came to fetch Ji-hyo just like a husband fetches her wife. He bring along a bouquet of flower for Ji-hyo but hide it behind his back at first.

“Annyeong!!!” Jong Kook walk in and kiss Ji-hyo who is still packing.

“Hehe…you look happy….”

“Of course….my baby is coming home…”

“Yeah..but not to your house…so I don’t see why you have to be that hyper…”

“It doesn’t matter. At least you’re out of the hospital. Ji-hyo ah………..tadaaaa!!” Jong Kook handed the flower.

“Hatttchihh!!! Yah, I’m allergic to flowers….”

“Really?” Jong Kook displeased.

“A-ni! I lied! Gotcha!!” Ji-hyo grab the flowers from Jong Kook making him stunned.

“Yahh!! Song Ji-hyo!! How dare you….”

“Hahahah….ah oppa…don’t be mad…I missed teasing you…”

“I know…just wait until we’re both in your bedroom….” Jong Kook whispers.

“Yah!! …….”

“Okay….is everything ready? I have settled the bills with the admin and so on. We can leave now,” Baek Chang Joo informed.

“Hyung, we’re almost done. But you can go first. We’ll catch you later. I’ll drive her home.”

“Okay. I’ll see you at home Jong Kook ah….Ji-hyo, I’ll see you later.”

“N-neh!” Ji-hyo answers blankly.

 

When they arrived at Ji-hyo’s family house, Ji-hyo’s surprise when she open the door to her house and everyone is shouting “Welcome home!!!”

Her eyes starting to watery. But she walks in and greet everybody starting with her family. After greeted everyone, she was asked to sit at the living hall where all the microphones have been placed on the coffee table. Jong Kook, Chang Joo and Ji-hyo’s parents joined Ji-hyo after that. In front of them, many reporters and people from the media are ready to do the cover up.

“Annyeonghaseyo! Thank you everyone for coming in short notice. Actually this is not really an important event but since everyone is looking forward of Ji-hyo’s condition, we decided to make a welcoming party together with a mini PC. Err….Ji-hyo are you okay? Can you handle this or you wanna rest?”

“I’m fine! I can talk!”

“So, I’ll pass to Ji-hyo for her few words.”

“N-neh! Thank you, Chang Joo oppa. Annyeonghaseyo, everyone. This is a real surprise for me. But, I want to thank each and every one of you for coming today, doesn’t matter if it’s for your assignment or you came as a friend. I really appreciate it. I know words can’t express my feelings and how thankful I am to be surrounded by all my special ones, my love ones. I am sorry to have made everyone worried about the incident, but I can assure you that I’m on my way to fully recovery. As much as it is a painful experience for everyone, coz I was informed that I almost lost the battle to live,…….I am still thankful….coz it make us more stronger…and closer…..and appreciate what we had…..The journey to wake up from coma, is quite scary and sad for me….” Ji-hyo paused, wipe her tears. Jong Kook hugs her waist from behind to comfort her. Then she continue, “If only I made the wrong path…..We may not be here today….I may have rest somewhere else…And you all will be attending not a party…but other kind of ceremony…..but, thank God I am given a second chance….Therefore I hope with this opportunity I will be a much better person. I would like to apologize to everyone, if I ever hurt your feelings,….directly or indirectly…no matter how good I try to be, I am still a human being with lots of mistakes. Please help me and guide me to be the better one. Thank you!”

“Erm…thank you, Ji-hyo. Now, I will pass to Jong Kook, as he has important announcement to make.”

Ji-hyo look at Jong Kook with a confuse face.

“Thank you, Chang Joo hyung. Annyeonghaseyo, everyone. If you’re wondering why I am here, obviously because of all the gossips that had spread in the internet and newspaper. Every writer is just hinting that me and Ji-hyo already back together but nobody get any confirmation from ourselves. So here, I will confirm to you, that I am back with Song Ji-hyo. And also, I would like to propose to her again,……in front of her parents, my parents, our family, friends, and all of you…..I need you to be the witness to our future planning…”

“Jagiya…..” Ji-hyo whispers, too surprise that her face turning red.

“What?? Haih…I need to propose again…Who knows if you’re experiencing memory lost during coma. I’m just trying to refresh it…….but with the new words, of course…hehe…”

“You are really…..”

“Handsome….and loving…I know….sssyhhh….Let me start…Just don’t cry too much….” Jong Kook whispers to Ji-hyo.

He hold both of Ji-hyo’s hand and look at her deep in her eyes.

“Ji-hyo ah….. Ever since you walked into my life, I have been smiling. We complement each other in everything we do, making each other stronger. You'll never forget to let me know just how much you love me and I never forget to let you know just how much I love you as well.

Thank you for believing in me when I could see no light. Thank you for picking me up when I fell and for kissing the tears off of my face. Thank you for giving me the freedom to tell you how I feel without feeling scared of your reaction. Thank you for your respect of my thoughts and feelings……and thank you, for never give up with our loves….

Ji-hyo ah, I love you more now than I ever thought possible. And that love grows each and every day, every time you smile, speak, and every time you have that look in your eyes, even when you are crying. When I think of what our lives could be like together in the future, I get butterflies and chills all over, it's just so exciting! There are many ways to be happy in this life, but all I really need is you. I know you're the only one I want to share the rest of my life with.

Song Ji-hyo, the story of our love is only beginning. Will you be with me and together write our own happy ending for eternity? Will you marry me?”

Everyone is in silent.

‘Yes,……definitely……” Ji-hyo hug Jong Kook tightly.

Everyone was clapping and cheering especially after Jong Kook insert the proposal ring that he gave Ji-hyo before this. They take photographs after that with everyone starting from family and friends.

 

The wedding date had been set a month from now. There were so many things to do in a month starting with the dress, the suit, the reception and everything. Jong Kook and Ji-hyo stay close with Haha and Byul since they have just married. It’s easier to check what they had missed out during the planning and preparation. And the clock starts ticking now………