Chapter 47

Beautiful Secret

 

Ji-hyo smile to Jong Kook, trying to cover her sadness. But then she hit him.

“Ah wae? You call me pabo?” Ji-hyo tries to fight with Jong Kook.

“Yes! Pabo….for trying to hide your sadness…for thinking that I will never find out…for acting like a hero, as if you can handle everything alone, when your face totally shown the opposite….”

Ji-hyo still trying to smile. “Do I have any choice?”

“Yesss…you can divert all your sadness, all your pain to me…rather than keeping it all in you. Look at how it affected your face. Your face is all swollen, like a watermelon.”

“Mwuh rah goo?? Watermelon? Yah!! I think you’re exaggerating too much. Hahaha…”

Ji-hyo laughs, while Jong Kook smiles. Then he pulls Ji-hyo to his chest.

“I’m sorry…you have to go thru this….” Jong Kook gently speaks to Ji-hyo. But that actually makes Ji-hyo choked.

Jong Kook tightens his hugs and brush Ji-hyo’s hair.

“Love…tell me exactly what happened…Why did my dad came to see you?”

Ji-hyo release herself from the hugs and look at Jong Kook. She then shows her little finger to Jong Kook, sort of asking him to promise her. Jong Kook then connects his little finger with Ji-hyo’s, ready to promise her.

“Promise….that you won’t be mad…at him…”

Jong Kook smile.

“Promise,…that you won’t say a word to your dad…and making things worst between me and him…”

Jong Kook nodded lightly.

“Promise….that you will forgive him..no matter what..and always respect him…”

“Aihh….what is all this, yeobo? There were so many promises…”

“Just do as I said!”

“Fine! I promise…”

Only then Ji-hyo tells Jong Kook what happened during the meeting. Jong Kook seems mad with what his father’s trying to do.

“Aigoo!! I see smokes coming out of your ears and nose, jagiya!! Hehehe….” Ji-hyo tries to joke around.

But Jong Kook is still with his serious look.

“Oppppaaaaaa……you’ve promised you won’t get mad…” Ji-hyo trying to coo her fiancé.

Listening to Ji-hyo’s pleading voice, Jong Kook start to smile.

“Are you okay?” Jong Kook whispers to Ji-hyo.

“I am okay…..coz you’re here with me…..”

Jong Kook ruffles Ji-hyo’s hair.

“See! If you let me know earlier, you won’t have to suffer this bloated face….”

“Yahhh!! Stop messing my hair….”

“Why not? I love messing around with my baby….especially when she’s sad…I’d love to make her smile…and angry…and shout out loud…”

“Hiyaaa…you love to make me angry? Chih!”

They were laughing and teasing each other till they suddenly keep quiet.

“Jagiya….what should I do?”

“You should love me…”

“Aish…I didn’t mean that…I mean, about your dad…”

“You should love me more…”

“Jagiya, I’m serious…”

“So am I…”

“Jagiya…what if he asks me for my decision? What if he’s angry seeing me still with you?”

“I’ll talk to him.”

“No! Don’t make things worse. I don’t want you to ruin your relationship with him.”

“Then what do you wanna do? Don’t tell me you’re gonna agree with him and leave me.”

“A-ni! I’ve promised that I’ll fight for us. But….I never thought it’s gonna be this hard. Are we really meant for each other, jagiya?”

“Ji-hyo, don’t start!” Jong Kook’s face turns sour.

“I’m sorry….please don’t be mad….”

When Ji-hyo looks like she wanna cry, Jong Kook quickly smile. “I’m not mad at you, love.”

“Yeay…I tell you what….I will try to win your daddy’s heart.”

“Jinja?”

“Yes! If I want to be part of your family, then I have to make him like me, right?”

“Yeah…but I don’t think he’s one easy kind..”

“It’s okay. I’ll be patient. And you need to be patient as well.”

“Ji-hyo ah…After what he said to you, I don’t think I have any patience left.”

Ji-hyo cupped Jong Kook’s cheek.

“Listen, jagiya! For as much I wanna get married to you, I also wanna marry with blessings. If your father will take sometimes to approve it, then I’ll take times to earn it. I’ll make sure to try my best and make him love me, just like you do.”

“Erm….not exactly like I do…coz then he would wanna marry you too.”

“Hahah! Fine! But at least till he likes me. And I’m sure I can do that. It’s just a matter of time. You said I’m cute and funny right. I’ll mellow him.”

“Aishhh….so that means we’ll only get married with his approval?”

“Of course! We will get married, I promise..”

“But what if he will never approve us? Does that means that we’ll never married?”

“Let’s not think to that extent. Let’s just be positive and hope everything goes smoothly. All I know, blessing is really important. Without blessing, we will always face problems in our relationship. And I don’t want that. I don’t want our children to face many problems as well. So it is important for me.”

“Fine!”

“Hey…you’re the one who teach me to be positive, to take one thing at a time. So let’s just go with the flow, okay?”

“Okay…..”

 

After Ji-hyo’s meeting with Jong Kook’s dad, Jong Kook tries to spend every free time with Ji-hyo. He tries his best to make Ji-hyo happy coz he knows deep inside, Ji-hyo is devastated with his father, but Ji-hyo is trying to cover it. They always spend times in Ji-hyo’s house coz if they went out for a date, then the public will notice them.

 

Few days later, Jong Kook needs to fly out of Korea for his Asia Tour. He will be going for about five to seven days. A day before his departure from Korea, he spends times cuddling, holding and kissing Ji-hyo.

“Jagiya, I’m gonna miss you these few days.”

“Hurm….me too…but you’ll wait for my comeback right?”

“Of course. But…we’ll not be seeing each other for a long time…Will you still loves me after you come back?”

“Aih pabo! What kind of question is that?”

“Who knows what’s gonna happen. People’s feelings can change even in a split second. Maybe you’ll fall in love with the stewardess, or with someone from other countries…or……”

Jong Kook suddenly pinch Ji-hyo’s nose.

“Ouchhh!!!”

“Stop this crap! Why are you talking rubbish like this?”

“I’m just saying…….sorry….didn’t mean to….”

“I will settle my work, and run back to you. You’re not the only one suffer during this separation.”

“Heheheh…I know you’re gonna miss me lots……and lots..…and lots more…just don’t cry for me okeh? Hehehe….”

“Haih! What’s with you tonight. Let’s go to sleep.”

“Yeah!”

 

The next morning, before leaving Ji-hyo’s house, Ji-hyo gives Jong Kook a tight hug.

“Jagiya, please remember…no matter what, I love you…”

“I love you too…Don’t be naughty without me ah, baby!”

“Hahah…baby…A very cute baby…heheheh…”

“Yeah…cute and fatty…kikiki!”

“Yah! Yah! Stop it!”

“Hehehe…aish, I’m gonna miss you, love. Please make sure you’re with your cellphone all the time. And make sure to update me every day about you.”    

“Yeah ahjussi! Hikhikhik! Erm…I hope everything goes well for you…I hope you’ll have fun with your fans…and please don’t worry too much about me. I will use this time to be close with your father. Maybe I will ask for your mother’s help. Hehe..”

Jong Kook smile to Ji-hyo and pinch her cheek.

“I am so lucky to have you….thank you, love. But please don’t hurt yourself. I want you to tell me everything good or bad that happened. Do not keep it from me anymore.”

“Okay! I understand.”

“K, I better go now. Gap Jin is already outside.”

“Okay! We’ll not see each other for a longgggggggggggg time. Don’t cry okeh!”

“Chih! It will only be about five to seven days.”

“Well….We never know what will happened…Who knows if it’ll take a longer time for us to meet each other.”

“Aih….why are you saying crappy things since last night?”

“I’m just saying….hehehe…Okay! Okay! No more stress. Go now! I’ll be waiting for you.”

“Thank  you, my future wife.”

“Hahaha…Take care. Bye…Have a safe journey!”

“Thanks. You too!”

With the last kiss, Jong Kook leaves Ji-hyo and headed to the airport.

 

Day by day feels empty for both Ji-hyo and Jong Kook. But at least Jong Kook had been busy with his schedule. As for Ji-hyo, after came back home at night, she feels empty. Especially lately before Jong Kook fly, Jong Kook had been spending most nights with her. Usually she will have someone to chat to, to be playing with, to joke around, to make him angry and to coax back; she’ll have someone to cuddle, kiss, to sleep with. She terribly misses him. But of course when Jong Kook calls, she pretends everything is okay when she’s actually counting every minute for him to come back.

 

One night when Ji-hyo and her manager went out, they walk outside of a club. From far they notice a group of man sort of fighting and quarelling. Ji-hyo tries to go nearer since one of the man looks familiar but being held by her manager.

“Ji-hyo ah, let’s just leaves this place.”

“Ah oppa…that man look familiar…Even his voice sounds familiar…”

“Whoever he is, you better not get involve.”

But Ji-hyo move few steps closer.

“Ah oppa….that was Jong Kook’s father….”

“Mwuh? Aishh….now we better leave…”

Just when Baek Chang Joo was about to pull Ji-hyo away, Ji-hyo saw one of the man holding a knife and trying to stab Jong Kook’s dad. Without thinking, Ji-hyo runs over to push Jong Kook’s dad but instead, the knife stabbed in her lung.

“Ji-hyo ah!!!!”

Chang Joo runs like crazy to Ji-hyo while Jong Kook’s dad holds Ji-hyo on his lap. The others of the man’s already run away. A few others who walk pass by came to help.

“Ji-hyo ah……Ji-hyo can you hear me??” Chang Joo keep asking.

“Ooppppaa…….” Ji-hyo trying to endure the pain.

“Ji-hyo ah….What have you done?? Why did you have to do that???” Jong Kook’s dad crying over Ji-hyo.

“Ah….juss…sii…….mian…..hae……”

“There’s no time to speak. We need to rush her to the hospital.”

They carried her to the car and rush to the hospital.

 

Chang Joo quickly informs Ji-hyo’s family about the incident. There’s only him and Jong Kook’s dad at the hospital.

“Why are you still here? You hate her, didn’t you? Then why are you here???” Chang Joo burst his anger to Jong Kook’s dad.

“I’m sorry……I’m sorry....I never thought she will get involve like this….”

“Well you should be at the police station now, and report this. Jong Kook will go crazy when he finds out. He will hunt the person who did this. So you better make sure the police caught the man before Jong Kook.”

“Yes…..I will make a report now…but please…inform me about her condition…please….”

“I will….just go before her family arrives.”

When Ji-hyo’s family arrives, every one of the family walk in tears and panic.

“Chang Joo, what happened?” Ji-hyo’s dad asks.

“She is…unluckily being at a wrong place, at a wrong time…She’s been stabbed…..”

“Mwuh rah goo??? Where is she now? Chang Joo….where is she now?” Ji-hyo’s mother asks hysterically.

“She’s still in the emergency room.”

Then the doctor walks out.

“I need to see her parents.”

“We’re here.” Ji-hyo’s dad answered.

“We need your consent for immediate surgery. She was stabbed in the spleen, that causes her to bleed internally and externally and lost a lot of blood which is why she’s unconscious and her heart stop beating from hypovolemic shock. We rapidly infuse blood in order to give her heart something to pump around and after 35 minutes she has a pulse. But we still need to do major operations.”

“I will sign it!” Ji-hyo’s dad giving consent.

Ji-hyo’s mother is already weak and being held by Ji-eun and Ji-won.

 

As the operations go on, all the family with Baek Chang Joo waited outside the operating theatre.

“Chang Joo, what happened? How can this happen to Ji-hyo?” Ji-hyo’s dad asks.

“We walk outside of a club. And there were a group of man who seem fighting and quarrelling. Ji-hyo said one of the man looks familiar and try to go near but I stop her. Then she notice the man is Jong Kook’s dad, and when she saw one of the other man holding a knife, she quickly runs to save Jong Kook’s dad. That’s when the knife hit her. I’m sorry. I should have protects her better.”

Ji-hyo’s dad patted Chang Joo’s shoulder. “There’s nothing you can do…don’t blame yourself..”

“Oppa….did Jong Kook oppa knew about this?” Ji-eun asks.

“I have not informed anyone else yet. I can’t think straight.”

“I understand. Do you want me to tell him?”

“Ji-eun ah…He’s having a concert now. Can you just inform Gap Jin? Let Gap Jin handle Jong Kook.”

“N-neh! I will contact him now.”

“Err...I’m sorry. But I have to handle few things with the hospital about the press, the security. And I also have to inform the other Running Man casts. I need to leave first.”

“Yeah..It’s okay. Go on and do your work. We’ll be here. We’ll let you know if anything. Thank you very much, Chang Joo ah.”

Chang Joo walk away from Ji-hyo’s family. He quickly calls Jae-suk and Haha about this and leaves to them to tell other friends. After they heard the news, they quickly came to the hospital.

 

When Gap Jin heard the news from Ji-eun, he couldn’t think of anything. He didn’t know how he should tell Jong Kook about this. Luckily it’s the last day of his concert. But they were supposed to go back to Korea after two days. Jong Kook still has fan meeting session tomorrow.

After Jong Kook finished his performance, he walks smilingly to Gap Jin at the back stage.

“Yahh Gap Jin ah..I finally did it…I just need to settle the fan meeting tomorrow, and then go back straight to my love ones. Hah….”

Gap Jin did not dare to look at Jong Kook.

“Gap Jin ah…what’s wrong? You look pale..”

“Hyung ah…there’s a bad news…”

“What bad news? About whom? My mom? Ji-hyo?”

“Hyung ah……Ji-hyo……She was stabbed……..and now undergoing an operation…”

“Mwuh rah goo? Gap Jin ah, this is not funny! You stop joking with this kind of news!!!” Jong Kook burst out.

“I’m not joking…..Ji-eun just called…Everyone is now at the hospital….”

“But….how?? Wae??? I need to go back now!!!”

“But hyung…..”

“I need to leave now, Gap Jin!!!”

 

It was a chaotic at the hospital since reporters got the news about Ji-hyo. Luckily Chang Joo already informs the hospital and tight security had been line out to stop the reporters to barge in. Only close friends and certain people were allowed in the area.

After few hours of operation, the doctors came out of the operating theatre.

“Doctor….”

Ji-hyo’s family surrounded the head of the doctors who handle the operation.

“We have tried our best…..But because of the lack of oxygen to her brain, she is now in coma…..I’m sorry…..It is now up to her fight. Let’s hope for the miracle and let’s pray for her recovery.”

Ji-hyo’s mother is already grieving on the floor. Ji-hyo’s dad staring blankly on the floor and others already starts crying especially Ji-eun. Jae-suk and Haha sit next to Ji-hyo’s dad, silently together with Baek Chang Joo.

Ji-hyo had been placed at the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) after the operation. Everyone needs to stay outside of the glass room.

While everyone is handling their own emotions, Jong Kook suddenly walks in with Gap Jin.

“Hyung…….” Haha approached.

“Jong Kook ah…” Jae-suk approached next.

But Jong Kook walks straight to Ji-hyo’s family. Ji-hyo’s dad hugs Jong Kook and Jong Kook being manly tries to comfort everyone in the family. He’s holding his tears.

“Where is she? How is she doing?”

“Jong Kook ah….Ji-hyo is in coma….” Ji-hyo’s dad inform with tears.

“What?”

Jong Kook then turn around to the glass room and walk closer. When he saw Ji-hyo, he feels his heart being crushed. He can no longer hold his tears.

 

 

 

THE I.C.U.